» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Freedom of political expression? Not at this AL company!

Written By: MooRocca on 09/13/04 at 4:37 pm

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/040912/sticker.shtml

Subject: Re: Freedom of political expression? Not at this AL company!

Written By: Jessica on 09/13/04 at 4:44 pm

That poor woman. I hope she goes after the jerk she worked for. NOBODY has the right to tell you who to vote for or face serious consequences.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/04 at 5:07 pm

Ummmm, that doesn't sound right.  Isn't that illegal, what the boss did?  I would be one thing if she had the sticker on her office door and there was a stated company policy against political materials on company premises, AND she refused to remove it after being duly warned.

Her car is private property.  She can put whatever sticker she wants on her own car and the boss can't say boo about it.  Or can he?

Who says white collar workers don't need unions?

BTW, if the boss fired her for having a Bush sticker on her car, it would be all over Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.  Those guys would be pointing out the same private property rights I just did.

Disgusting and scary!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/04 at 5:31 pm

Well, technically, the parking lot is company premises...but, if she has to remove hers, then ALL political bumper stickers should also have to be removed.  There was a guy who worked for the same company I used to that had a bs regarding the legalization of marijuana and the company told him he had to remove it, drive a different car to work (or get a ride from someone) or forget about a job (not in those exact terms, but that was the point).  It's times like these that I wish I was a lawyer so I could take this jerk to court---pro bono, of course.;)

So your first amendment rights end at the dude's parking lot?  Could the Republican owners of an apartment complex forbid tenants with Democrat bumper stickers to park in the lot? 
I don't think this would stand up in most courts.  Maybe it would in 'bama.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/13/04 at 6:38 pm

My mother worked for one of our congressmen when he was first running for congress.  He is Repub she is Dem.  He tried to make them put his sticker on their cars.  She flat out refused.  He wasn't happy about it, but legally he couldn't make her.  It wasn't just the fact she wouldn't vote for him, but the fact that she hates bumper stickers with a passion. 

(for the record, I think this guy is a pompous windbag who thinks he is the only one who knows what's right and the rest of us need to be led.)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/14/04 at 4:19 pm

Well, if it's private property, and he owns it, then yes, he can allow/forbid whatever he chooses.  What if the guy was Jewish and she had a swastika bumper sticker on her car?  He can forbid it from being on his lot, but she cannot lose her job over it.  However, I think any court would rule that if you ban one party's stickers, you must ban ALL of them.  It makes me wonder though, what would he have done if it was a Nader bumper sticker? ???

I'm no lawyer, but I think that the swastica has been defined as hate literature that advocates violence, and could be banned from certain places, so the analogy, while interesting in the free speech debate, seems to me not a good one. 

There is also a question about whether a parking lot is totally private property.  We tend to thyink about two categories of property, "public" and "private", but there is another category called "quasi-public".  If not just employees are invited to use the lot, it definitely falls into that category, and might even if it it employees only.  Malls, f/e are quasi-public, and can be used for demonstrations (peaceful and non-intrusive) regardless of what the owner thinks.  If I were that woman I's sue the b..rd for all he's worth and wind up owning the company.  After I "retire" I might study advocacy law and do pro bono work for people just like her.  She should call the ACLU.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/04 at 6:57 pm

I'm no lawyer, but I think that the swastica has been defined as hate literature that advocates violence, and could be banned from certain places, so the analogy, while interesting in the free speech debate, seems to me not a good one. 

There is also a question about whether a parking lot is totally private property.  We tend to thyink about two categories of property, "public" and "private", but there is another category called "quasi-public".  If not just employees are invited to use the lot, it definitely falls into that category, and might even if it it employees only.  Malls, f/e are quasi-public, and can be used for demonstrations (peaceful and non-intrusive) regardless of what the owner thinks.  If I were that woman I's sue the b..rd for all he's worth and wind up owning the company.  After I "retire" I might study advocacy law and do pro bono work for people just like her.  She should call the ACLU.

I thought mall management could ban protests from their premises, including the outer structures and parking lots.  That's been a concern among civil libertarians--the public-made-private square.  Remember that mall (can't remember where it was) that had those two guys arrested for disturbing the peace--because they were wearing PEACE (anti-war) t-shirts?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/14/04 at 7:01 pm

That poor woman. I hope she goes after the jerk she worked for. NOBODY has the right to tell you who to vote for or face serious consequences.
Well, all the Bush party-crashers got kicked out of the bar for getting up in peoples faces and calling them names for supporting Bush and NOT supporting Kerry. I hope she goes after the idiot too >:(

Written By: Mushroom on 09/15/04 at 1:48 am

To me, this is 1st Ammendment, plain and simple.

Being fired for this reason is plain and simple wrong.

It was wrong to tell her to remove the sticker, it was wrong to fire her.  SHe has every right to display any bumpersticker she wants, as long as it is not obscene.

As long as it did not say "F*** Bush" (or F*** Kerry" or anything else like this), they should never have mentioned it.

The only way this might have been justifyable, is if it was one of those huge signs you see in the back of pickups.  YOu know, the kind that are like 6' long and 4-5' tall.  But this was a bumper sticker for heavens sake!

Personally, I hope she gets a good lawyer and sues their asses!  This is wrong, plain and simple.

As far as the flier, that is a non-issue.  He has the right (as far as I know) to include anything he wants in the pay envelope.  It is up to the employee to read them, or throw them away.

Personally, this jerk is the type of person that gives us honest Republicans a bad name.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/04 at 3:11 am

Personally, this jerk is the type of person that gives us honest Republicans a bad name.

I don't think a guy like this represents Republicans, he just represents jerks.  "Jerk" is an understatement!
>:(

Written By: Jessica on 09/15/04 at 11:58 am

Well it backfired on that a$$hole. I just read a follow up to this story. John Kerry himself called her up and asked her to work for him on his campaign. She should go back and taunt her former employer with that knowledge.

Woman Gets New Job After D*ckhead Fires Her

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/04 at 12:38 pm

Well it backfired on that a$$hole. I just read a follow up to this story. John Kerry himself called her up and asked her to work for him on his campaign. She should go back and taunt her former employer with that knowledge.

Woman Gets New Job After D*ckhead Fires Her

Touche

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 09/15/04 at 1:15 pm

Interesting sidenote to this story:

Did anybody else catch "Rated R: Republicans In Hollywood" on AMC last night?

A former Clinton campaign aid decided to make a documentary talking about how Republicans in Hollywood are "closeted".  And it is quite true.  A lot of the people mentioned have been at the edges for years, and have sometimes not gotten the recognition they deserve, or suffered due to not being able to be case.

Drew Carey is one of them.  Even with 2 of the most popular shows on TV, he almost never gets movie roles or guest star spots.  Ben Stein (a former speach writer for Nixon) also rarely gets roles anymore since his close relationship with Bush became public.

John Milius is another example.  He was a writer for Apocalypse Now and 1941.  He was also a producer for 1941, Conan The Barbarian, and Uncommon Valor.  He directed Dillinger and Conan The Barbarian.

With such a bright future, what happened?  He wrote, and directed a movie called "Red Dawn".  After that, his career abruptly died.  Other then a few minor pictures, it has never recovered.  And having worked and lived in Hollywood myself, I fully believe it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/15/04 at 2:23 pm

I thought mall management could ban protests from their premises, including the outer structures and parking lots.  That's been a concern among civil libertarians--the public-made-private square.  Remember that mall (can't remember where it was) that had those two guys arrested for disturbing the peace--because they were wearing PEACE (anti-war) t-shirts?

I do remember the tee shirt incident but don't remember how it was resolved.  I shouldn't have been so general.  I think its a matter of state law.  In NJ back during the United Farm Workers union drive I picketed booze stores that sold Gallo wine at a mall.  Neither the store or the mall liked it, and we were approached by cops, but told them it was quasi-public so we had a right to be there, and stayed.

To me, this is 1st Ammendment, plain and simple.

Being fired for this reason is plain and simple wrong.

It was wrong to tell her to remove the sticker, it was wrong to fire her. SHe has every right to display any bumpersticker she wants, as long as it is not obscene.

As long as it did not say "F*** Bush" (or F*** Kerry" or anything else like this), they should never have mentioned it.

The only way this might have been justifyable, is if it was one of those huge signs you see in the back of pickups. YOu know, the kind that are like 6' long and 4-5' tall. But this was a bumper sticker for heavens sake!

Personally, I hope she gets a good lawyer and sues their asses! This is wrong, plain and simple.

As far as the flier, that is a non-issue. He has the right (as far as I know) to include anything he wants in the pay envelope. It is up to the employee to read them, or throw them away.

I expected no less from you Mushroom.  You sound like a person of principle, so it doesn't surprise  me that the bill of rights is more important to you than partisanship.  I respect that.  Thanks for voicing it.

Check for new replies or respond here...