» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Uniforms for the Children as they go to their place of learning to be educated

Written By: Apricot on 09/13/04 at 5:37 pm

Here's a recent essay I wrote for school:

feel that there is a very simple to improve the environment of our schools, and in turn, improve the attitudes of everyone in the  school. This method of improvement is disputed by child, parent, and authority figures alike, for different reasons. However, I find the positives in this system to outweigh the negatives. A simple, yet enforced, school uniforms policy benefits everyone.
A love and respect for your school is often called school spirit. Many teenage students lack this patriotic spirit, because they do not feel that school is a place to care about. A family feeling would make school a place of unity, a place that people can feel respect and love for. A standard uniform, worn by all that teach or are taught in the school, puts everyone on even ground. Uniforms will help to make the school a good place, one that can be looked on in a positive light by all that enter its doors.
School can be a brutal place. A school often feels like a hierarchy of social and financial status to the students, not a place of learning. The seemingly continuous rain of criticism and rejection that rains down on students that do not meet the standards set by their peers weighs on their self-esteem. Students put under this barrage of negativity come to see the world as a cold and unforgiving place. Stress ravages the body and mind of these individuals, and some of them see the only way to end their pain being to end their lives. One should not have to deal with this torment, and a homogeneous look to the school will break this vicious cycle. Our youth's mental health will take a serious jump forwards.
Workers in the educational system have extremely difficult jobs. They are relied on by society to teach our children what they need to know to prepare them for the world outside of high school. Added to this tedious chore is enforcing a set of rules lain down by the school district. It can challenging to teach a rebellious teenager the importance of these rules. One of the hardest rules to get through to students is the importance of modest, appropriate dress. Many teens choose to ignore frequent warnings from their teachers. A uniform eliminates this often fruitless job from a teacher's daily jobs, and improves the mood of teachers in turn. Teachers that know that they work in an environment that eliminates any unneeded stressors are more likely to stay in those jobs.
There are many more reasons that uniforms make sense, but these are the strongest reasons. Many look at uniforms and only see small outer ways that it could make school better, and don't consider it worth the time and effort. They do not see how much it benefits each individual that works or studies in the school. I feel that school uniforms will lead the way into a better tomorrow for our public schooling system.

Now, If you got through that, there was my opinion. What's yours?

By the way, the title was long so it would be noticed.  ;D

Subject: Re: Uniforms for the Children as they go to their place of learning to be educated

Written By: Dagwood on 09/13/04 at 6:31 pm

You make good points in favor of uniforms.  I agree with you, BTW, I would be for uniforms if they had the policy in my daughter's school.

Subject: Re: Uniforms for the Children as they go to their place of learning to be educated

Written By: Apricot on 09/13/04 at 6:41 pm

You make good points in favor of uniforms.  I agree with you, BTW, I would be for uniforms if they had the policy in my daughter's school.

Thanks, Dagwood.

Written By: Marian on 09/13/04 at 8:15 pm

>:(I think uniforms are vastly overrated,and I'm glad they didn't have them when I was in school.The teachers and the fat kids don't like to wear them because they don't look good in them,and they don't make the kids act better.Near my house a school has uniforms and you see kids almost every day yelling obscenities at passing motorists on the way to or from school.If you're a quality student your clothes won't affect you ,good or bad.But they shouldn't let kids wear stuff that shows their butts :P.Cheers!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/13/04 at 9:39 pm

I really don't see the argument against school uniforms, they have been proven effective so many times.  I say make them mandatory in U.S. public schools.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/13/04 at 11:36 pm

Uniforms are compulsory in both state and private schools in Australia. Apart from helping to identify which school a student belongs to, they also identify a child that should be at school if they're not there when they should be (if they're wearing it of course, and most of them skip school on a whim so they don't change before they do it). It stops the playground turning into a fashion show too, because everyone's dressed the same. And rather than stifle creativity, having to wear a uniform actually encourages creativity because students have to find different ways to stand out apart from just dressing differently. Plus it reduces the problems of kids wearing mid-riff tops, balloon pants, low-riders etc. to school, because they're simply not allowed. :)

Subject: Re: Uniforms for the Children as they go to their place of learning to be educat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/14/04 at 5:20 am

That was a very good composition.  You have the makings of a sharp debater.
Now, if you have a choice in the matter, your next composition could be why uniforms are not a good idea.  Advocating both side of a question is the best way to form an educated opinion, and I think you could turn into a first class diplomat if you hone that skill. ;)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/14/04 at 6:50 am

good essay but i'm opposed. i believe in individuality.

Subject: Re: Uniforms for the Children as they go to their place of learning to be educat

Written By: Apricot on 09/14/04 at 2:22 pm

That was a very good composition.  You have the makings of a sharp debater.
Now, if you have a choice in the matter, your next composition could be why uniforms are not a good idea.  Advocating both side of a question is the best way to form an educated opinion, and I think you could turn into a first class diplomat if you hone that skill. ;)

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Written By: Apricot on 09/14/04 at 2:31 pm

good essay but i'm opposed. i believe in individuality.

You have the right to oppose. I'm all for individuality. I hate conformists. In fact, most of my hatred of conformists molded that essay. I have always been mocked for the way I appear, because I do not fit the conformist image of beauty. I refuse to follow this crowd as they blindly do whatever they are told. As a result, I am hated by almost everyone, to a great extent {more then your average weirdo, I was almost attacked by a local psuedo-gang} THat hatred is where a lot of my anger and need to defend come from. I feel that school uniforms will eliminate the pain I went through and still go through for so many.

Written By: McDonald on 09/14/04 at 3:21 pm

I agree with your stance. I have always been in favour of school uniforms even while attending my own school which did not implement their use. If one wants to express himself, there are other ways, such as with hairstyles or (here's one) art.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/14/04 at 3:37 pm

I agree with Danoot.  A very good essay for a 14 year old.  Well thought out, well organized, and well written - I hope you didn't repeat the typos on the version you turned in. (I make lots of typos on the board too - big fingers, hit more than one letter).

I agree with your position on the issue as well (my God, I'm agreeing with GWB  :o).  Hiding class differences, I think, is the most important benefit.  Uniforms encourage kids to look past clothing and at the person.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/14/04 at 4:49 pm

(my God, I'm agreeing with GWB :o).

Did hell freeze over? ;)

Written By: jaytee on 09/14/04 at 6:16 pm

Good essay Apricot - I hope you get a good grade for it.  Let us know. :)

>:(I think uniforms are vastly overrated,and I'm glad they didn't have them when I was in school.The teachers and the fat kids don't like to wear them because they don't look good in them,and they don't make the kids act better.Near my house a school has uniforms and you see kids almost every day yelling obscenities at passing motorists on the way to or from school.If you're a quality student your clothes won't affect you ,good or bad.But they shouldn't let kids wear stuff that shows their butts :P.Cheers!

School is not a fashion parade.  They have the weekends to wear whatever they want.  All my four children wear school uniform and they don't mind in the least.  It makes my life much easier.  School uniforms make it easy to recognise the school the kids are from.  If our kids yelled obscenities at anybody (especially in school uniform) not only would we hear about it but the school would too.  The college where my daughters attend would more than likely expel that student.

PS Your "fat kid" comment was really offensive.

Written By: Apricot on 09/14/04 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for your comments. Hell must indeed have frozen over, Don Carlos and GWB2004 have found common ground. Look out for flying pigs!  ;D

By the way, that was a rough draft. The real essay will be submitted next week. Thanks for the opinions

Written By: Bobby on 09/14/04 at 7:00 pm

So most schools in America don't have a dress code? Well, I didn't know that. It is compulsory to wear a uniform in any school in Britain so I never had a for/against attitude towards it.

Uniforms are a good idea because it shows equality and smartness.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/04 at 7:13 pm

School is not a fashion parade.  They have the weekends to wear whatever they want.  All my four children wear school uniform and they don't mind in the least.  It makes my life much easier.  School uniforms make it easy to recognise the school the kids are from.  If our kids yelled obscenities at anybody (especially in school uniform) not only would we hear about it but the school would too.  The college where my daughters attend would more than likely expel that student.

I wouldn't have favored school uniforms when I was in school, but I think they're generally a good idea.  The uniform tones down fashion wars, snobby class distinctions, and risque business, all of which promote distraction and anxiety.
If you do the school uniform right, "fat kids" don't have to worry about not looking good in them, because NOBODY will look good in them!
:D
"...If your dad finds out he'll make you stay in, and do your homework, and cut your hair, and wear your school uniform out in the street, oh, what a fate worse than death!"
--Soft Cell
It's a Mugs Game

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/04 at 7:21 pm

So most schools in America don't have a dress code? Well, I didn't know that. It is compulsory to wear a uniform in any school in Britain so I never had a for/against attitude towards it.

Some schools banned extremely baggy pants because students might use them to conceal weapons.  Great country we live in!  Schools also banned certain items that might be viewed as gang insignia.  One kid (I forgot where) got suspended for wearing a t-shirt with a suspected gang name on it, "Vegan," another kid got suspended for wearing a Pepsi shirt on "Coca-Cola day." Certain schools in right-wing areas with lots of Christian Fundamentalist schools have banned articles bearing "occult" symbols, including the peace sign.
::)
I remember when our vice principle cracked down on certain '80s fashions that exposed a great deal of leg, midriff, and cleavage.  Guess he didn't like to see the teenage girls looking like hookers on the stroll, or maybe he liked it all too well!
:o

Written By: Marian on 09/14/04 at 9:09 pm

:o :oSorry if you thought it was offensive,but as an early bloomer,I would have qualified as one.I also don;t have raven hair and blue eyes,so it's unlikely i would have looked as good in one as most of the kids.Besides,if they're that great,why don't most of the teachers wear them?They can if they want to. ;)Cheers!

Written By: karen on 09/15/04 at 4:15 am

It is compulsory to wear a uniform in any school in Britain so I never had a for/against attitude towards it.

Bobby, it isn't compulsory in Britain to wear a uniform.  When I went to school it was optional in my Primary school though most wore school clothes (grey pinafores or skirts for the girls and grey/blakc trousers for the boys), my middle school had quite a strict uniform code of school blazer, white blouse, maroon skirt and tie.  We were only allowed to wear trousers in the winter if it was very cold.  At the age of 14 I swapped to upper school where there was no uniform.  Within reason we could wear what we want.  Here I was starting to develop my own style and would, at times, stand out from the crowd.  It does make you a target for abuse and bullying.  I guess I could have toned things down but generally couldn't see why I should let such a bunch of  twits ( ;)  ) dictate what I wore.

Now my daughter has started school and her school suggests that children should wear a uniform.  In general most children do.  She has a choice of sweat shirt or cardigan in school colours with the badge on and blouse or polo shirt and skirt or pinafore.  In the summer she wears a school dress (similar to Aus as seen on Home and Away or Neighbours).  I much prefer this as 1) it saves long discussions about what she will wear and 2) when left to her own devices she has a fairly strange sense of what matches hence 1).

This I agree with.  It much harder to tell people's background when there is only one shop you can buy your school top from.  Unless I started looking at labels in the back of childrens clothes I wouldn't be able to tell if they shopped at Tesco, Asda or Harrods (nor would I want to know but you get the point).

. School uniforms make it easy to recognise the school the kids are from. If our kids yelled obscenities at anybody (especially in school uniform) not only would we hear about it but the school would too. The college where my daughters attend would more than likely expel that student.

I've been known to phone a school to complain about their pupils behaviour.  (Makes me sound a bit of a whinger maybe?)  I just didn't appreciate the mouthful of abuse I received when I politely requested they walked on the pavement instead of all across the road in a mob.

Written By: jaytee on 09/15/04 at 8:12 am

I've been known to phone a school to complain about their pupils behaviour.  (Makes me sound a bit of a whinger maybe?)  I just didn't appreciate the mouthful of abuse I received when I politely requested they walked on the pavement instead of all across the road in a mob.

Me too.  One day we were having lunch on a friend's back deck which overlooks a park and saw a couple of girls from the nearby convent school (in uniform) taking off with some guys.  Phoned school and they soon had some teachers out there rounding their wayward pupils up!  Call me a party pooper - but the parents are paying school fees for their daughters to be at school and not canoodling in the park :o >:(

Written By: Marian on 09/15/04 at 2:12 pm

Me too.  One day we were having lunch on a friend's back deck which overlooks a park and saw a couple of girls from the nearby convent school (in uniform) taking off with some guys.  Phoned school and they soon had some teachers out there rounding their wayward pupils up!  Call me a party pooper - but the parents are paying school fees for their daughters to be at school and not canoodling in the park :o >:(
;D ;D ;D ;DHahaha!!!!Oh,man,everyone knows that Catholic school kids are wild!And they think it's cool that everyone can see what school they go to,too.Sounds like those kids didn't think that one through.What exactly are uniforms suppoesed to prevent? ???Oh,yeah,judging someone by the "label'.Guess it worked for those guys!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*Cheers!

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/15/04 at 2:39 pm

Recent fashion trends in VT seem to call for girls to reveal quite a lot.  As Max said, lots of cleavage (at my college sometimes with no bra), very low cut jeans, very tight tops, very short skirts.  Although Cat keeps me very satisfied  ;), I must say I enjoy the view, but I do wonder just what these girls are thinking.  One time last year a girl came to class in very short shorts and no panties.  That made me loose my train of thought for a sec or 2 (I'm pretty sure the "beaver shot" wasn't ment for me.

Some area high schools are developing dress codes, like skirts that have to be as long as the hand held straight down.  The cleavage issue is harder to define.  Uniforms would solve that problem.

Written By: Apricot on 09/15/04 at 2:48 pm

Some area high schools are developing dress codes, like skirts that have to be as long as the hand held straight down.  The cleavage issue is harder to define.  Uniforms would solve that problem.

Agreed.

Written By: Apricot on 09/15/04 at 2:59 pm

Heck, that's not just VT, it's all over the US.  Whenever I go to the mall or practically anywhere, I thank God I don't have girls because of what I see many of them wearing.

If you set reasonable boundaries, that's not a problem. If your children respect you, they will respect your virtues, and not wear those sort of things. It is rather widespread, I agree. If we had better parenting coming from these people, we wouldn't have that problem.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/04 at 3:33 pm

I thank God I don't have girls because of what I see many of them wearing.

It drives me nuts when people say that, being a female myself I think I was well worth the effort.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/15/04 at 3:37 pm

Certain schools in right-wing areas with lots of Christian Fundamentalist schools have banned articles bearing "occult" symbols, including the peace sign.

On the other hand, schools have also banned any kind of religious symbology.  There was one in California that did not allow a student with a t-shirt with Santa Clause on it, because he was a "Religious Symbol"!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/04 at 4:18 pm

On the other hand, schools have also banned any kind of religious symbology.  There was one in California that did not allow a student with a t-shirt with Santa Clause on it, because he was a "Religious Symbol"!

This is true.  I'm pretty irked with the ACLU for obsessing over religious symbols in public.  I think worrying about a creche here and a cross there is a net drain from more important civil liberties issues. 
Also, I'm as liberal as they come.  I'm SOOO liberal it doesn't bother me if people want to express their religiosity!  Like that teacher who was ordered NOT to wear a crucifix.  Big deal!  She wasn't telling the students what to believe.  She was just a woman of faith who liked to wear a crucifix.
But noooo, the ACLU has to react like a bunch of vampires!
I like seeing creches and menorrahs (sp?) around the holidays.  I like seeing people wearing crucifixes, skullcaps, head dresses, and so forth.  I'm not religious, but I'm not irreligious, I guess that's the point.
What I object to even more strongly is the ACLU's drive to rid public places of symbols of historical significance.  Los Angeles is removing the Christian symbols from their seal.  I think that's 100% wrong because it deprives people of knowing the history of the city.  I never thought it had any evangelical intentions, it just saying the people who founded the city were Christians.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/04 at 4:29 pm

Recent fashion trends in VT seem to call for girls to reveal quite a lot.  As Max said, lots of cleavage (at my college sometimes with no bra), very low cut jeans, very tight tops, very short skirts.  Although Cat keeps me very satisfied  ;), I must say I enjoy the view, but I do wonder just what these girls are thinking.  One time last year a girl came to class in very short shorts and no panties.  That made me loose my train of thought for a sec or 2 (I'm pretty sure the "beaver shot" wasn't ment for me.

I know what you mean about the "view," but in general I don't care for the styles.  These women want to dress like hookers on the stroll and at the same time DEMAND respect and equality.  They want it both ways.  I've heard female students openly talk of going to the professor dressed in skimpy garments and asking for a grade change.  Yet, if the professor initiated any HINT of unsolicited attraction, they would seek to get him fired for sexual harrassment.
If you point out their hypocrisy, they'll attack YOU, and may even lodge a complaint against you with the authorities.
There's also a whole porno industry con job mixed up with feminism.  It says female sexuality is something to honor and celebrate THUS exotic dancing and making adult videos is legit and honorable work. 
I think the whole ball of wax is deceptive, destructive, and dangerous.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/04 at 6:22 pm

Good essay, Apricot.

As to the topic, I'm not too sure how I feel about this issue. There are good arguments on both sides. I do believe in individuality but some people do take it a bit far-being half dressed, wearing stuff that is obnoxious and crude, etc. As for religious symbols, I don't have a problem with people wearing them. I believe in religious freedom and if someone is wearing a cruifix, Star of David, or a pentigram, they are just exersizing their right. But, if those symbols were on the wall of a public building, I would have a problem with. I also do not agree with France's ban on religious scarfs/yamikas, etc.

Uniforms do help in terms of diminishing class distinction. You have the rich kids wearing designer clothes while some kids are lucky to have clothing that fit (concidering some girls are wearing clothes that apparently don't fit ::)).

So, like I said, I'm not too sure how I feel about this issue.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/15/04 at 6:26 pm

This is true. I'm pretty irked with the ACLU for obsessing over religious symbols in public. I think worrying about a creche here and a cross there is a net drain from more important civil liberties issues.

Ok, hell is definately freezing over...I agree with you. ;)

IMO, the ACLU wastes its time with stupid things when there are more important things they could be behind.  Religious symbols are forcing someone to believe...it is just a symbol.  If you don't believe seeing a cross (or whatever) won't change that.  I think most of the offended people are just looking for something to bitch about.

Written By: jaytee on 09/15/04 at 11:04 pm

;D ;D ;D ;DHahaha!!!!Oh,man,everyone knows that Catholic school kids are wild!And they think it's cool that everyone can see what school they go to,too.Sounds like those kids didn't think that one through.What exactly are uniforms suppoesed to prevent? ???Oh,yeah,judging someone by the "label'.Guess it worked for those guys!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*Cheers!

My children are catholic school kids and far from wild.  In this case I prevented those girls from missing out on an entire afternoon of school and from doing G@d knows what in the park.  I really don't think they were expecting to be caught - they weren't exactly out in the open. 

I think schools here must be a bit more strict than those in America.

Written By: jaytee on 09/15/04 at 11:28 pm

Another good reason for uniforms in this climate (hot) is that they have to be "sun smart"  Hats are compulsory.  At the primary school that my boys go to the motto is "no hat - no play - no fun today".  They have to stay in the undercover area if they forget their hat.  All shirts and dresses also have to have collars and sleeves.  It is actually Government policy.

Some high schools are stricter than others.  Private schools are very strict about their uniform policy.  My daughters would get a detention if they were seen outside of the school grounds not in full uniform including hat.  Their home room teacher even comments on how they wear their uniform in their school report.  Some of my friends daughters go to a Ladies College where they even dictate how the girls must wear their hair.  Plaits for the first three years and pigtails or ponytails after that.  My girls are not allowed to wear their hair out or wear jewellery (except for a watch and earrings if they have pierced ears).  All in all this makes life so much easier for everybody. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/16/04 at 6:42 am

What I was referring to is that I don't have to deal with the whole "showing too much skin" issue.  With boys, all I have to worry about clotheswise is that they match and that their clothes aren't falling off of them (which won't be an issue because I make sure they fit ;).

Unless of course you were the parents of the young gentleman in some city around here, I forget
which one, who in high school was very comfortable with his crossdressing ways and showed up
in school in dresses, and what a todo there was.  I don't know what happened, but it was all over
the news for a week or two.  Maybe he has graduated.

Written By: karen on 09/16/04 at 9:03 am

I remember some guy the year above me wearing skirts to school.  There was a bit of a trend for male kilts at the time so he borrowed his sisters.  He tried to do them for sexual discrimination because females were allowed to wear skirts or trousers.  Instead he was expelled  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/04 at 9:42 am

Unless of course you were the parents of the young gentleman in some city around here, I forget
which one, who in high school was very comfortable with his crossdressing ways and showed up
in school in dresses, and what a todo there was.  I don't know what happened, but it was all over
the news for a week or two.  Maybe he has graduated.

There was something here a couple years ago about a kid who wore dresses to school. They weren't anything flashy, too short, or anything like that-just a plain dress. If a girl wore it, it would have been fine but because it was a guy, well that was a different story. I just read a story today.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&e=2&u=/ap/20040916/ap_on_re_us/hair_tangle

It just seems like there is a double standard here.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 09/16/04 at 2:35 pm

Another good reason for uniforms in this climate (hot) is that they have to be "sun smart"  Hats are compulsory.  At the primary school that my boys go to the motto is "no hat - no play - no fun today".  They have to stay in the undercover area if they forget their hat.  All shirts and dresses also have to have collars and sleeves.  It is actually Government policy.

Some high schools are stricter than others.  Private schools are very strict about their uniform policy.  My daughters would get a detention if they were seen outside of the school grounds not in full uniform including hat.  Their home room teacher even comments on how they wear their uniform in their school report.  Some of my friends daughters go to a Ladies College where they even dictate how the girls must wear their hair.  Plaits for the first three years and pigtails or ponytails after that.  My girls are not allowed to wear their hair out or wear jewellery (except for a watch and earrings if they have pierced ears).   All in all this makes life so much easier for everybody. :)
:o :o :oOh,what country are you from?because I know peopke here who went to catholic schools and they said they like to act rowdy there.Of course,sailors wear uniforms and are reputed to be rowdy,si I'm not sure what it's supposed to prevent as far as kids are concerned.Cheers! ;) ;) ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/16/04 at 3:09 pm

When I went to high school your skirt/dress had to touch your knees,  No slacks for girls, boy had to
wear ties from Sept 15 to May 15(or around then). Heels could not be more that 1 inch, no open toed shoes, and you had to wear stockings or socks. Sleeveless was a no-no.

Written By: Junior on 09/16/04 at 3:30 pm

I am definitely against mandatory school uniforms - on the other hand, I can understand a simple dress code with basic rules such as a certain shorts/skirt length, and other rules that prevent students from coming to school dressed like a prostitute. I mean, I could care less about students looking like prostitutes or whatnot - my friends and I find it more amusing than anything - some look almost pathetic learning. It doesn't impair my education in any way.

Also, uniforms would definitely not boost morale for students. Teenagers typically desire to be individual, and requring uniforms can prevent students from visibly expressing their individuality. I don't want to be famous or anything, but I don't want to be just another face in the crowd, and I know many feel the same way. Students already have limited rights in school and, if mandatory uniforms were to go forward, it seems as if the next step would be to have us march in step while going from class to class. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/04 at 5:22 pm

I am definitely against mandatory school uniforms - on the other hand, I can understand a simple dress code with basic rules such as a certain shorts/skirt length, and other rules that prevent students from coming to school dressed like a prostitute. I mean, I could care less about students looking like prostitutes or whatnot - my friends and I find it more amusing than anything - some look almost pathetic learning. It doesn't impair my education in any way.

Also, uniforms would definitely not boost morale for students. Teenagers typically desire to be individual, and requring uniforms can prevent students from visibly expressing their individuality. I don't want to be famous or anything, but I don't want to be just another face in the crowd, and I know many feel the same way. Students already have limited rights in school and, if mandatory uniforms were to go forward, it seems as if the next step would be to have us march in step while going from class to class. :-\\

It's important for teenagers to learn how to express their "individualiy" in ways other than attire.

Written By: Apricot on 09/16/04 at 5:29 pm

It's important for teenagers to learn how to express their "individualiy" in ways other than attire.

Agreed. There are many ways for this to be done.

On that note, is it really individual to dress inapropriately? So many people are exposing as much as they can, it's not really being an individual anymore, it's selling your soul to popularity.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/16/04 at 6:49 pm

The ironic thing about this is that many times, it's not someone who's personally offended, they're just thinking of those who might be ::)

I agree.  I think political correctness has gotten a wee bit out of hand in this country.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/04 at 6:59 pm

Agreed. There are many ways for this to be done.

On that note, is it really individual to dress inapropriately? So many people are exposing as much as they can, it's not really being an individual anymore, it's selling your soul to popularity.

It may be hypocritical of me to say so because I was the among the most outrageous dressers in my high school.  Of course, I was rebelling AGAINST establishment brand names, not trying to show them off.  It was the thrift store punk look, I guess, but I never called myself "punk," because by in the '80s the establishment already owned the term.  I also was into hair-bleaching for orange hues, and was one of the first guys to wear an earring.
Yet I have to admit a required uniform would have taken a lot of stress off of me.  I would have resented the crap out of it, but since everybody else had to wear it, I wouldn't feel compelled to make my "anti-fashion" statements.

BTW, it's not just teenagers who need to express themselves in ways other than superficial appearance.  I think that applies to everybody.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/04 at 8:29 am

I agree.  I think political correctness has gotten a wee bit out of hand in this country.

The right-wing has its own PC, and that is what is most out of hand, my friends!

Written By: Marian on 09/17/04 at 2:05 pm

;)I think you said it best so far.When i went to school,some kids dressed like punks,but it didn't distract me.Cheers!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/17/04 at 9:53 pm

This is true.  I'm pretty irked with the ACLU for obsessing over religious symbols in public.  I think worrying about a creche here and a cross there is a net drain from more important civil liberties issues. 

Wow I agree.

Imagine life without ACLUe.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/18/04 at 6:22 am

Wow I agree.

Imagine life without ACLUe.

I don't know, Rush was happy to have them around when they came out for him on the
medical records issue.  A lot of people don't like cops, until they need one.

Written By: Bobby on 09/20/04 at 7:23 pm

Bobby, it isn't compulsory in Britain to wear a uniform.  When I went to school it was optional in my Primary school though most wore school clothes (grey pinafores or skirts for the girls and grey/blakc trousers for the boys), my middle school had quite a strict uniform code of school blazer, white blouse, maroon skirt and tie.  We were only allowed to wear trousers in the winter if it was very cold.  At the age of 14 I swapped to upper school where there was no uniform.  Within reason we could wear what we want.  Here I was starting to develop my own style and would, at times, stand out from the crowd.  It does make you a target for abuse and bullying.  I guess I could have toned things down but generally couldn't see why I should let such a bunch of  twits ( ;)  ) dictate what I wore.

Oh? I must have been one of the unfortunate ones to have entered every school I have been to with a dress code (regardless of slight variation).  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/04 at 10:23 pm

I don't know, Rush was happy to have them around when they came out for him on the
medical records issue.  A lot of people don't like cops, until they need one.

And the ACLU was happy to go to bat for Rush, even though Rush can afford all the legal representation money can buy.
I think the ACLU has been a wonderful and necessary organization.  I was only saying I think they let the anti-public-expression-of-religious-faith zealots hold too much sway in recent years.

Check for new replies or respond here...