» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Pat Tillman Honored...AND "Thanks" To The Troops!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/19/04 at 8:31 pm

Today the NFL Honored Fallen Star Pat Tillman....A wonderful man who gave up millions of dollars to fight for his country and it's freedom. The announcers also thanked all the military for fighting for our country...the liberals think we shouldn't be doing that but I believe some military soldiers may disagree!

Subject: Re: Pat Tillman Honored...AND "Thanks" To The Troops!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/04 at 11:57 pm

Today the NFL Honored Fallen Star Pat Tillman....A wonderful man who gave up millions of dollars to fight for his country and it's freedom. The announcers also thanked all the military for fighting for our country...the liberals think we shouldn't be doing that but I believe some military soldiers may disagree!

What liberals think that?  Did I miss the anti-Tillman protoest on teevee?  Were they carrying signs saying "Don't Honor Pat Tillman"?  Sheesh! 
Why do you assume Tillman was wonderful?  Maybe underneath the selfless magnanimity he was a real jerk after all!
:P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/04 at 10:55 am

What about all the other people who died for this lie? As of now, the count is 1032 and climbing. There have been a total of 7125 wounded-and that is just Americans. Who knows how many Iraqis-and most of those are civilians.

Yes, it is nice that the NFL honors Pat Tillman but others should be honored too. And I think the government could honor the men and women in uniform more by giving them more benefits. I saw this thing on t.v. the other day about this guy who was wounded in Iraq. He is in constant pain and can't really work. The government doesn't think he is disable enough so they don't give him the assistance he needs. Support our troops-yeah right. It is nice to wear yellow ribbons, or have a yellow ribbon on your car. Or even hold vigils. I think the American public supports the troops more than the American government. What the American public can't do is provide the equipment needed-or even better yet, just bring them home. They can't provide medical and pychiactric care for when they do come home. That is something that the government is NOT doing. And that, to me, is a travisty.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/04 at 11:00 am

What about all the other people who died for this lie? As of now, the count is 1032 and climbing. There have been a total of 7125 wounded-and that is just Americans. Who knows how many Iraqis-and most of those are civilians.

Yes, it is nice that the NFL honors Pat Tillman but others should be honored too. And I think the government could honor the men and women in uniform more by giving them more benefits. I saw this thing on t.v. the other day about this guy who was wounded in Iraq. He is in constant pain and can't really work. The government doesn't think he is disable enough so they don't give him the assistance he needs. Support our troops-yeah right. It is nice to wear yellow ribbons, or have a yellow ribbon on your car. Or even hold vigils. I think the American public supports the troops more than the American government. What the American public can't do is provide the equipment needed-or even better yet, just bring them home. They can't provide medical and pychiactric care for when they do come home. That is something that the government is NOT doing. And that, to me, is a travisty.

Cat
I agree that they need more care and benifits. I live in a miltary town and have met many servicemen and women and MOST of them are proud to be representing our country in the continual fight for freedom :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/20/04 at 1:59 pm

I agree that they need more care and benifits. I live in a miltary town and have met many servicemen and women and MOST of them are proud to be representing our country in the continual fight for freedom :)

As well they should be.  No one I know, liberal or conservative, thinks otherwise.  Its not the loyalty and patrioism of the troops we question, but the judgments of the policy makers.

There's a song about the "troubles" in northern Irland, the  gist of which is that a Catholic and a Protestant who are good friends both get killed.  Part of the last verse goes "the ones who gave the orders are not the ones who die, its Scott and McDonnald, and the likes of you and I." 

The mother of a killed soldier was arrested recently for trespass because she tried to ask Laura Bush a question.  She wanted to know why, if this war is so important, aren't Jenna and Barbara not doing their part.  Could it be that they would test positive for drugs, or that those with influence don't feel the same urges as the servicemen and women mentioned above?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/04 at 6:43 pm

As well they should be.  No one I know, liberal or conservative, thinks otherwise.  Its not the loyalty and patrioism of the troops we question, but the judgments of the policy makers.

There's a song about the "troubles" in northern Irland, the  gist of which is that a Catholic and a Protestant who are good friends both get killed.  Part of the last verse goes "the ones who gave the orders are not the ones who die, its Scott and McDonnald, and the likes of you and I." 

The mother of a killed soldier was arrested recently for trespass because she tried to ask Laura Bush a question.  She wanted to know why, if this war is so important, aren't Jenna and Barbara not doing their part.  Could it be that they would test positive for drugs, or that those with influence don't feel the same urges as the servicemen and women mentioned above?
If there was still a military draft I might wonder. That's kinda like asking why ALL Republicans aren't in the military. If it had been Clinton in time of war I wouldn't expect Chelsea to serve either!

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/21/04 at 7:59 am

If there was still a military draft I might wonder. That's kinda like asking why ALL Republicans aren't in the military. If it had been Clinton in time of war I wouldn't expect Chelsea to serve either!

Nor would I, and that is precisely the point.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/04 at 10:13 am

. The announcers also thanked all the military for fighting for our country...the liberals think we shouldn't be doing that but I believe some military soldiers may disagree!

Don't even start.  You try to give the notion that because someone is a liberal they disrespect the
everyday people who go into the military.  Well being from a liberal state I will tell you there are
just as many liberals signing up to serve or with family and friends, serving, and coming home maimed, and dying,  as with any other group. They are the people we love, care for, and are proud of and what you have said is not only divisive, but is just a cheap shot to try and and make yourself feel a bit superior, and you should be ashamed.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/04 at 11:47 am

Don't even start.  You try to give the notion that because someone is a liberal they disrespect the
everyday people who go into the military.  Well being from a liberal state I will tell you there are
just as many liberals signing up to serve or with family and friends, serving, and coming home maimed, and dying,  as with any other group. They are the people we love, care for, and are proud of and what you have said is not only divisive, but is just a cheap shot to try and and make yourself feel a bit superior, and you should be ashamed.   >:(

It's the dittohead mentality.  No matter what the issue is, drag the "liberals" into it and put them down.  It works.  We have a whole generation who doesn't know what "liberal" means, other than a whole mess of bad connotations.  It's like the race in SD.  Daschle served, Thune didn't, but so what?  Thune gets to pummel Daschle about "support our troops" just because Thune is a Republican.  It's stupid, stupid, stupid, but it works.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 9:48 pm

just as many liberals signing up to serve or with family and friends, serving, and coming home maimed, and dying,  as with any other group. They are the people we love, care for, and are proud of and what you have said is not only divisive, but is just a cheap shot to try and and make yourself feel a bit superior, and you should be ashamed.   >:(
I'm not ashamed because I was NOT talking about ALL liberals. Unlike some people here who we had to kick out of the bar for continually bashing Bush...I've met many wonderful liberal military people who support the war and are also proud to fight for freedom. Good for ALL people who are courageous enough to fight for a very worthy cause. The liberals I was referring to are mostly Hollywood celebs...like Streisand, Ronstadt, Michael Moore...ect.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/22/04 at 10:12 pm

Pat Tillman gave his life for his country, I respect that.

But this is stupid, to honor him specifically. Why? Because he was a sports star? Big deal. He is no more deserving of appreciation then any other G.I.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/04 at 2:07 am

Pat Tillman gave his life for his country, I respect that.

But this is stupid, to honor him specifically. Why? Because he was a sports star? Big deal. He is no more deserving of appreciation then any other G.I.

Apparently the guy really did just want to do his duty. 
But it's most apropos he's being honored ata football game, 'coz he's being used as a football, a political one!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/23/04 at 5:34 am

It seems to me that the most pointed to statement about Tillman is the fact that he gave up so
much money.  It is a resounding theme, the money.  Did he have a family.  I have never heard
of the parents, brothers, sisters, wife, children, etc.  But I have heard about the money, what does
that say? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...