» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Affirmative Action

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/25/04 at 3:41 pm

What is your position on Affirmative Action? For or against?

Personally I am AGAINST it in it's current form. Although I believe there are still socioeconomic circumstances that stack the odds against a lot of minorities,these conditions can apply across the board.

Today, I think this society is divided more on socioeconomic status, the haves and have nots, then it is on racial lines.

Which is why I think Affirmative Action should be based on socioeconomic status, rather than ethnicity.

Subject: Re: Affirmative Action

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/04 at 4:03 pm

Affirmative action based on race is inherently divisive.  I say its time has come and gone.  I would rather see benefts given based on economic need not race.

There are many right-wingers who say the same thing, but underneath the rhetoric, you'll find they want Old Boy network and upper class privilege to reign supreme and no affirmative action whatsoever.

I would also like to see the narrowing of the yawning gap between the haves and the have nots.  The affirmative action I want to see starts before the beneficiary is even born.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/04 at 4:12 pm

Having a bit of perspective here, when affirmative action was introduced in its modern form in the
60's(there has always been AA, in the past, here in Massachusetts the Irish benefited greatly in the
late 1800 early 1900's, though they do try to forget) it was to address the fact that African Americans
had been denied employment simply on the basis of race. Qualifications did not mean anything.  AA
was supposed to address that fact, instead it devolved to a just show us the numbers mentality. 
Sadly, there were some who didn't believe any African Americans were qualified for anything so it
didn't matter which one you hired as long as you could show that you had them on payroll.  It was
also resented because  a lot of the civil service and union jobs that had been passed from father to
son without any regard for fitness for the position, became open to competition.  That being said, I do
believe it is time to evolve the notion of AA as being a strictly minority/women program and open to
socio-economic factors.  I think that at this point in time, with the stratification of the classes and the
opportunities being stripped away from the working classes it is necessary to stop the doors from
closing on any program that would benefit anyone in need without regard to factors other than economic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/04 at 5:06 pm

Having a bit of perspective here, when affirmative action was introduced in its modern form in the
60's(there has always been AA, in the past, here in Massachusetts the Irish benefited greatly in the
late 1800 early 1900's, though they do try to forget) it was to address the fact that African Americans
had been denied employment simply on the basis of race. Qualifications did not mean anything.  AA
was supposed to address that fact, instead it devolved to a just show us the numbers mentality. 
Sadly, there were some who didn't believe any African Americans were qualified for anything so it
didn't matter which one you hired as long as you could show that you had them on payroll.  It was
also resented because  a lot of the civil service and union jobs that had been passed from father to
son without any regard for fitness for the position, became open to competition.  That being said, I do
believe it is time to evolve the notion of AA as being a strictly minority/women program and open to
socio-economic factors.  I think that at this point in time, with the stratification of the classes and the
opportunities being stripped away from the working classes it is necessary to stop the doors from
closing on any program that would benefit anyone in need without regard to factors other than economic.

It is true on the one hand that the flood of 19th century Irish immigrants faced terrible discrimination.  And it is true, on the other hand, that the Irish had a much easier climb than African Americans.  Tammany Hall-type political machines did wonders for the Irish.  I don't think it is fair to compare the plight of the Irish with the struggle of African Americans, nor do I believe it useful to compare immigration in the 19th century to immigration today.  The times and the economy are very different.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/25/04 at 7:09 pm

I think it is a bad idea the way it is now.  While I know there are still people who won't hire because of racial prejudices, it is not the norm.  I think it is wrong that the person most qualified for the job doesn't get it because of race.  It isn't right to force someone to hire someone not qualified just to fill a quota. 

I believe that people should be hired based on experience or ability to do the job, not race or gender etc. 

There should be some kind of law in place to stop people from hiring based on race, gender, religion, etc but it would be hard to prove, therefore hard to enforce. 

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/25/04 at 10:47 pm

I think it is a bad idea the way it is now. While I know there are still people who won't hire because of racial prejudices, it is not the norm. I think it is wrong that the person most qualified for the job doesn't get it because of race. It isn't right to force someone to hire someone not qualified just to fill a quota.

I believe that people should be hired based on experience or ability to do the job, not race or gender etc.

There should be some kind of law in place to stop people from hiring based on race, gender, religion, etc but it would be hard to prove, therefore hard to enforce.

How do you feel about Affirmative action being socioeconomic based though? There are people who need it for those reasons...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/25/04 at 11:23 pm

How would you figure someone's socioeconomic status though? Educational level may play a part in it as well. Usually, the lower the socioeconomic status, the lower the educational level. IMHO, I think AA could use some tweaking. However, in this day and age, if you completely eradicate it, you will see a lack of people of color and women (who is the majority, not the minority) in the workplace and in many colleges/universities.

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/25/04 at 11:50 pm

How would you figure someone's socioeconomic status though? Educational level may play a part in it as well. Usually, the lower the socioeconomic status, the lower the educational level. IMHO, I think AA could use some tweaking. However, in this day and age, if you completely eradicate it, you will see a lack of people of color and women (who is the majority, not the minority) in the workplace and in many colleges/universities.

Tanya

There are different factors. Myself, I will be the first person in my family to graduate from High School, and certainly the first one to go to college if I choose to do so. Who right now the way things are, will have more chance of acceptance, me? Or someone's who's father went there, and his father went there, and so on?

That is one example of socioeconomic status, I think.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/04 at 12:22 am

There are different factors. Myself, I will be the first person in my family to graduate from High School, and certainly the first one to go to college if I choose to do so. Who right now the way things are, will have more chance of acceptance, me? Or someone's who's father went there, and his father went there, and so on?

That is one example of socioeconomic status, I think.

You're in high school?  Wow!  I thought you were much older.
:o

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 12:32 am

You're in high school?  Wow!  I thought you were much older.
:o

LOL, nope. I am a Senior in High School..

16.8 years old(I am graduating one year early)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/26/04 at 12:33 am

Tanya

Color people are the majority?  Last time I checked White non-hispanic made up 69% of the U.S. population.

Down with reverse discrimination!  Hire the more qualified candidate!  Don't judge on race.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 12:51 am

I'm really talking about Affirmative Action in terms of College.

There are whites who are in as bad socioeconomic positions as a lot of blacks. They need extra help with college too, yet they don't get it, just because the color of their  skin. I think that's wrong.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/26/04 at 1:06 am

I'm really talking about Affirmative Action in terms of College.

Like UGA?  At the University of Georgia (UGA) you must have a 7.0 to get in.  Heres how it works:

The paper will say something like ''add 0.5 points if you have at least a 3.5 GPA.''  Or ''add 0.75 points if you have at least a 4.0 GPA.''  Or ''add 1.0 if you scored an 800 in math on your SAT.''  UGA being one of the best colleges in the south in hard to get into.  You see how it works, right? 

On the same form it honestly says: ''add 0.5 points if you're are a female'' and ''add 1.0 if you are a person of color.''  Isn't that wrong, just by being a woman of color you already have 1.5 points out of the 7.0 required, while a possibly more qualiified person who may be a white male starts off with 0.  That is wrong, in my opinion.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 1:09 am

Well, yes and no, GWB.

I don't think it should be based on race/gender, but economics.

Let's say, if you are first person in your immediate family to graduate from High School, maybe add .03 points.

Because like I said, the way it works now, let's say I(who will be the first to attend college in my family if i apply), apply to go to a Uni, and so does this other guy, but his father and grandfather both went to college there, his dad is a doctor etc. Who do you think is more likely to get in?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/26/04 at 1:12 am

GW, I was talking about women. Read more carefully, please!

As for college terms, I didn't receive help based on my skin's color. I received it based on my merit. Quite frankly, I don't understand this statement. Are you implying that most students of color (African-American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, etc) receive help for college based on their race, not their merit or abilities (academics, athletic, musical, otherwise)? What sources are you quoting?

I think this misinformation causes the extra drama when referring to this topic. For the record, my sorority sister received a full scholarship b/c she traced a female relative from the Daughters of the American Revolution. There are scholarships out there that benefit white students as well.  There is help for every student who is willing to look for it. It doesn't fall into your lap.

For the record, I worked as a financial aid counselor for my alma mater as I paid for graduate school. I helped more white students than any students of color.

As for points, it's always best to have something extra in your application. Didn't your counselor always tell you that? Don't assume that you are automatically in b/c you are a white male (which is why so many people are crying foul). Join 4-H, pick up an instrument, play golf, do something. as for legacies, you could be of almost any occupation and have your child enter your alma mater. My children will be legacies solely b/c I (as well as my husband) are college and graduate school graduates. I'm a teacher and he's an accountant. Just a little something extra.

Besides, usually one thing will cancel another. If you are a woman of color, race/ethnicity may cancel out gender.

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 1:17 am

GW, I was talking about women. Read more carefully, please!

As for college terms, I didn't receive help based on my skin's color. I received it based on my merit. Quite frankly, I don't understand this statement. Are you implying that most students of color (African-American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, etc) receive help for college based on their race, not their merit or abilities (academics, athletic, musical, otherwise)? What sources are you quoting?

I think this misinformation causes the extra drama when referring to this topic. For the record, my sorority sister received a full scholarship b/c she traced a female relative from the Daughters of the American Revolution. There are scholarships out there that benefit white students as well.  There is help for every student who is willing to look for it. It doesn't fall into your lap.

For the record, I worked as a financial aid counselor for my alma mater as I paid for graduate school. I helped more white students than any students of color.

As for points, it's always best to have something extra in your application. Didn't your counselor always tell you that? Don't assume that you are automatically in b/c you are a white male (which is why so many people are crying foul). Join 4-H, pick up an instrument, play golf, do something. as for legacies, you could be of almost any occupation and have your child enter your alma mater. My children will be legacies solely b/c I (as well as my husband) are college and graduate school graduates. I'm a teacher and he's an accountant. Just a little something extra.

Besides, usually one thing will cancel another. If you are a woman of color, race/ethnicity may cancel out gender.

Tanya

Some interesting points. Didn't realize there were things like that out there.

My point is still though, that why should Blacks and Hispanics get extra points for who they are? I think everyone should get help based on economics, not their background. Just what I think.

As for extra curric, I attend an alternative high school and we don't have any.

Anyway, I personally, more likely than not, will not attend college. I may take some college classes at a community college, but I have no interest in really going to college(meaning university, getting a degree and so on).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/26/04 at 1:40 am

Believe it or not, El, going to community college shows you have prior experience and you could get points for that too!

As for economics, I can see what you are saying. Even then someone will say there's too many Blacks, Hispanics, etc b/c of the uneven socioeconomics status in comparison to whites. It will always be something someone can disapprove of or find fault with.

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 2:05 am

Yeah. People would probably still complain, your right.

Part of the reason I am not interested in geting a degree is because I have other routes of making money besides employment.

Well, kind of. I will work for my father for a few yearings, during which that time I will save up money to help me start my own business.

Also, he will be receiving a hefty settlement for medical damages(that nearly killed him and did permanate damage to his health) sometime in the next 2-3 years. We will probably be looking at getting 500,000 minimum. My father has promised to give me somewhere in the range of 100-200,000 to investy, and to put in accounts and collect interest on. My goal is through investment of this money, and having set up my business successfully, I will be living on a fixed income by the time I am 30. I will still have to oversee a business, but I mean I plan not to be a 9 to 5'er.

However, if I was not lucky enough to have these circumstances with my father(which I realize I am lucky i dont take it for granted), I would definitely go to a 4 year college, because it is hard to make a good living nowadays without a degree in most cases.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/04 at 3:08 am

Color people are the majority?  Last time I checked White non-hispanic made up 69% of the U.S. population.

Down with reverse discrimination!  Hire the more qualified candidate!  Don't judge on race.

Conservatives weren't the ones singing that song 50 years ago.  White males weren't complaining when the shoe was on the other foot.  It doesn't make "reverse discrimination" right, of course.  Mind you, I don't think all racially based affirmative action programs can be fairly called "reverse discrimination."  Fewer now than 20 years ago. 
I get the overall sense that conservatives haven't taken the lessons of inequality to heart, and would go back to those good old days in a snap if they could.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/26/04 at 4:11 am

Conservatives weren't the ones singing that song 50 years ago.  White males weren't complaining when the shoe was on the other foot.  It doesn't make "reverse discrimination" right, of course.  Mind you, I don't think all racially based affirmative action programs can be fairly called "reverse discrimination."  Fewer now than 20 years ago. 
I get the overall sense that conservatives haven't taken the lessons of inequality to heart, and would go back to those good old days in a snap if they could.

Democrats are the party of hate.  Look back at the election of 1860, Lincoln (a republican) ran against democrat Breckenbridge (spelled wrong.)  Brenkenbridge was VERY pro-slavery.  And won almost all the southern states, losing only a few to Bell.  Lets see, who helped pass the civil rights act?  Who's side is Robert ''Sheets'' Byrd on?   

Not only that, just a few years ago South Carolina was flying the confederate flag over its state capital.  It was a democrat who placed it there.  The flag was place on the building only a couple of years and was almost instantly taken off when the NAACP caught wind of it.  So thats nothing old.

Don't tell me republicans are the only ones who have bigots.

After years of religious, racial, and sexual hate, isn't it time for the democrats to step aside for the party of the future (republicans)?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/04 at 7:24 am

::) There he goes again. Miseducation is a powerful tool.  There isn't any dispute that the Republican
party as the Party of Lincoln died April 15, 1865.  There is so much history involved and this is so
far off topic I would suggest you learn the facts before diminishing yourself further.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/26/04 at 7:50 am

::) There he goes again. Miseducation is a powerful tool.  There isn't any dispute that the Republican
party as the Party of Lincoln died April 15, 1865.  There is so much history involved and this is so
far off topic I would suggest you learn the facts before diminishing yourself further.

Tell me what I said that wasn't true, tell me i'd like to know.  And then back it up.  I'd sure like to know what I said that wasn't the truth.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/26/04 at 8:28 am

How do you feel about Affirmative action being socioeconomic based though? There are people who need it for those reasons...

Let me start out by saying I am impressed.  You are very mature and well thought.  I was surprised to learn you are 16.  Stay that way, you will make it far.

I hadn't thought about it in the socio-economic light.  College is important, but I am going through the job search right now and most entry level jobs require college (which I don't have)  I know it is important, but it is hard to find a job that pays me enough to support my family.  I still don't know that it is right to tell an employer to hire me over someone with a degree just because of Affirmative Action.  I will have to think harder on the subject.

You made me think, I like that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/04 at 1:09 pm

The Democratic party was the party of Southern whites from Reconstruction through FDR.  Things started to really change in the Civil Rights movement.  Most of the Dixiecrats became Republicans, but Zell Miller stayed.
Poor GWB, he really sounds like he had a Hannity overdose this week!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/04 at 1:15 pm

I have never really formed an opinion about affirmitive action. There are many pros and cons to it. First of all, I feel ashamed that we NEED it-yes we do need it because whether people want to believe it or not, there is still much discrimanation in this country. And yes, Jim Crow is still alive and well. That is very sad and scary. I feel that someone shouldn't be hired or not hired because of their gender, color of their skin, or religion, or whatever. It should be if they are qualified. However, it does happen-more than most realize.

As far as colleges go, I think it is a RIGHT for anyone who wants to go and has the aptitude should be able to go. Unfortunely, in this country the almight $$ determines if someone can be educated or not. So there are extremely smart people who live in the inner cities, the trailer parks, and housing projects not living up to their potental because they can't afford the basic needs nevertheless education. Who knows, maybe some of those people could be the next Einstien or Hawking, but we will never know because they are not given the chance. So they don't have a chance to pull themselves out of their economic situation. And of course we all know it is because they are lazy. (Yes, that is sarcasm) As Dagwood said, most good jobs require a college education. It is really sad that many who want to go are denied and some who have their education paid for by "mommy and daddy" use that time to party their brains out and could care less about learning. So after four years (or more) the only thing they have learned was how to chug beer but they got that peice of paper that says they are educated and only use it to get a job instead of using it to THINK!!!

When I was in high school, my gym teacher had a bumper sticker posted on the bulletin board that said, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance".

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/26/04 at 2:42 pm

I have never really formed an opinion about affirmitive action. There are many pros and cons to it. First of all, I feel ashamed that we NEED it-yes we do need it because whether people want to believe it or not, there is still much discrimanation in this country. And yes, Jim Crow is still alive and well. That is very sad and scary. I feel that someone shouldn't be hired or not hired because of their gender, color of their skin, or religion, or whatever. It should be if they are qualified. However, it does happen-more than most realize.

As far as colleges go, I think it is a RIGHT for anyone who wants to go and has the aptitude should be able to go. Unfortunely, in this country the almight $$ determines if someone can be educated or not. So there are extremely smart people who live in the inner cities, the trailer parks, and housing projects not living up to their potental because they can't afford the basic needs nevertheless education. Who knows, maybe some of those people could be the next Einstien or Hawking, but we will never know because they are not given the chance. So they don't have a chance to pull themselves out of their economic situation. And of course we all know it is because they are lazy. (Yes, that is sarcasm) As Dagwood said, most good jobs require a college education. It is really sad that many who want to go are denied and some who have their education paid for by "mommy and daddy" use that time to party their brains out and could care less about learning. So after four years (or more) the only thing they have learned was how to chug beer but they got that peice of paper that says they are educated and only use it to get a job instead of using it to THINK!!!

When I was in high school, my gym teacher had a bumper sticker posted on the bulletin board that said, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance".

Cat

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste" said an NAACP poster, very true. 

There seem to be some misconceptions re AA.  Quotas have been ruled illegal, for openers.  Second, AA, when linked with "equal opportunity" means that of 2 qualified applicants you favor the group defines as disadvantaged and nothing more.  3rd, a college education is about more than getting a good job, although lots of conservatives would like to reduce it to job training.  4th, I would suggest that the privileged white minority, those with fat check books and lots of connections, need to get a grip on reality.  They aren't the only smart people around.  5th, if memory serves, it was LBJ (a good Texas Dem) who puched both the civil right and the voting rights acts through congress (Oh yea, GWB wants to reestablish literacy tests, I almost forgot), but neither party can claim clean hands when it comes to race in this country.

So, although I wish it were not the case, I think AA should continue, although I also agree that it should be extended to include those who are economically disadvantaged regardless of race and/or gender.  And by the way, I think that a college education should be just as much a right open to all as a high school education, at least at public colleges, and I oppose "legacy" admissions.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/26/04 at 3:26 pm

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste" said an NAACP poster, very true. 

There seem to be some misconceptions re AA.  Quotas have been ruled illegal, for openers.  Second, AA, when linked with "equal opportunity" means that of 2 qualified applicants you favor the group defines as disadvantaged and nothing more.  3rd, a college education is about more than getting a good job, although lots of conservatives would like to reduce it to job training.  4th, I would suggest that the privileged white minority, those with fat check books and lots of connections, need to get a grip on reality.  They aren't the only smart people around.  5th, if memory serves, it was LBJ (a good Texas Dem) who puched both the civil right and the voting rights acts through congress (Oh yea, GWB wants to reestablish literacy tests, I almost forgot), but neither party can claim clean hands when it comes to race in this country.

So, although I wish it were not the case, I think AA should continue, although I also agree that it should be extended to include those who are economically disadvantaged regardless of race and/or gender.  And by the way, I think that a college education should be just as much a right open to all as a high school education, at least at public colleges, and I oppose "legacy" admissions.

Speaking of legacy admissions, it's strange Bush is opposed to Affirmative Action, it was a form of AA that got him into Yale. That form of AA being legacy(his father and grandfather went there).

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/04 at 3:29 pm

Tell me what I said that wasn't true, tell me i'd like to know.  And then back it up.  I'd sure like to know what I said that wasn't the truth.

Although I would say it goes back to Andrew Johnson reneging on the "40 acres and a Mule" this
expresses it well.

Why blacks shy away from the GOP

By OSCAR EASON JR.
GUEST COLUMNIST

In his farewell speech in 1901, Rep. George White, a Republican and the last African American to leave the U.S. Congress following the Reconstruction period, said, "Phoenixlike, he (the African American citizen) will rise up some day and come again."

There were 22 African Americans serving in Congress from 1870 to 1901; two were senators and most, if not all, were Republicans. Today, there are 39 African Americans in Congress and they're all Democrats.

Anyone who is politically curious has seen present-day Republican pundits proclaim their party to be historically "the party of Lincoln"; what is unfailingly left out of this declaration is the historical metamorphosis of the Republican Party after Reconstruction. Anyone who does not understand this genealogy cannot hope to understand the predominately white face of today's GOP.

The famous "Hayes-Tilden Betrayal" is said to have reversed many of the political, social and economic gains made by African Americans during Reconstruction. The 1876 presidential election was similar in many ways to the 2000 election in that Republican Rutherford B. Hayes and Democrat Samuel Jones Tilden ended up in an almost dead heat. Tilden won a majority of the popular vote. The electoral votes in South Carolina, Louisiana, Florida and Oregon were disputed, causing a special commission to decide the election.

It is said a deal was cut that gave all disputed ballots to candidate Hayes in exchange for a guarantee that all federal troops would be removed from the South, leaving African Americans vulnerable to white Southern retaliation. Hayes was then elected president by one electoral vote. Once that deal was solidified, a retaliatory blood bath targeting African Americans promptly ensued throughout the South.

In the late 1940s President Truman, a Democrat, decided it was time to racially integrate the armed forces, causing outrage among some white Southern Democrats. As if this weren't enough, in 1948 the Democratic Party publicly declared its support for the civil rights movement. That was more than some white Southern Democrats could stomach, so they formed a "states rights" ticket that was appropriately labeled the Dixiecrats.

In the mid 1960s, the Dixicrats switched from the Democratic to the Republican Party to assist Barry Goldwater in his unsuccessful bid for the presidency against Lyndon Johnson. They were, however, pivotal in the Southern strategy that won the White House for Richard M. Nixon in 1968. President Reagan, a Republican, is credited with bringing all factions of the Republican right-wing conservative movement together, steeped in the Dixiecrat states' rights tradition.

During Reagan's administration, the issues and concerns of the Dixiecrats became principally those of the Republican Party. It was precisely at this juncture that the Republican Party ceased being the Party of Lincoln and evolved into what it is today to the vast majority of black America -- almost racially exclusive and dedicated to protecting and maintaining the status quo. In this context, it is difficult to imagine how the average civil rights-sensitive black citizen could blend in to today's Republican Party.

It is noteworthy that, in order to be welcomed into the fold, those few African Americans who now call themselves Republicans seem compelled to publicly denounce the shared reality of the average black citizen. They declare a level racial playing field in America where there obviously is none; they insist that America's racial problems are over, when it is intuitively not the case; they speak contemptuously of established black leadership, and adopt an individualistic, every-man-for-himself mantra that is the essence of social isolation.

Nearly 90 percent of African Americans voted for the Democratic candidate in the 2000 presidential election. African Americans must have accepted Rep. George White's challenge from the floor of Congress more than 102 years ago as rationale for the racial strife, periodic violent confrontations, civil conflict and the social movement that followed in the history of this nation. Few knowledgeable Americans would deny that the African American civil rights movement has been the primary catalyst in the reshaping of America's moral conscience. There seems to be a visceral distrust and uneasiness in the African American community today, a shared suspicion that our civil rights legacy is being purposefully misinterpreted and politically manipulated.

At present it would appear as if those issues and concerns of African Americans sensitive to civil rights are positioned diametrically opposite to those of the controlling elements in the Republican Party. There does not seem to be any political justification for the Republican Party to belabor issues near and dear to the African American community; these issues are simply not on the agenda, owing to the fact that there is no internal pressure to bring civil rights concerns to the table. It can almost be said that any minority group joining this party with a civil rights issue would certainly cause a degree of discontinuity; which explains why many Republicans are quick to say they welcome members of minority groups "as individuals."

Still, there is concern within some quarters of the Republican Party that the party is a bit too "white" and must absorb conservative minority individuals in order to truthfully boast of being the "All-American Party." Before there is a desire on the part of African Americans to leave the Democratic Party, however, there would have to be political, social and economic incentives to prompt this action. After all, African Americans did not abandon the Republican Party; the Republican Party abandoned African Americans.

Oscar Eason Jr. of Seattle is former national president of Blacks In Government and former president of the Seattle branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/04 at 3:33 pm

Speaking of legacy admissions, it's strange Bush is opposed to Affirmative Action, it was a form of AA that got him into Yale. That form of AA being legacy(his father and grandfather went there).

How many people do you know could be rejected from Texas Law School then accepted at
Harvard Law?  He has lived his life just singing the "my daddy" song.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/04 at 3:38 pm

The famous "Hayes-Tilden Betrayal" is said to have reversed many of the political, social and economic gains made by African Americans during Reconstruction. The 1876 presidential election was similar in many ways to the 2000 election in that Republican Rutherford B. Hayes and Democrat Samuel Jones Tilden ended up in an almost dead heat. Tilden won a majority of the popular vote. The electoral votes in South Carolina, Louisiana, Florida and Oregon were disputed, causing a special commission to decide the election.

It is said a deal was cut that gave all disputed ballots to candidate Hayes in exchange for a guarantee that all federal troops would be removed from the South, leaving African Americans vulnerable to white Southern retaliation.

In case anyone didn't want to read the whole article I posted, I thought I would pull out the above quote.
Deja vu, and those who forget the past(or are miseducated about the facts) are condemned to force a
repeat of it on the rest of us.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/26/04 at 4:08 pm

Simplify: If 3 construction firms vie for the same job...you choose them based on thier past performance...NOT thier race.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/26/04 at 4:46 pm

Thanks, Danoota! Whew, I haven't seen a better argument for fixing America's schools. I guess we really represent who we plan to vote for!

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/04 at 5:08 pm

Danoota,
Three cheers for your essay!
:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/04 at 5:42 pm

Danoota,
Three cheers for your essay!
:)

Ditto

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/04 at 5:34 am

Simplify: If 3 construction firms vie for the same job...you choose them based on thier past performance...NOT thier race.

A nice thought. I work in construction. More often than not the who gets the job is based on
relationship, price, kickback.  ???

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/27/04 at 9:37 am

A nice thought. I work in construction. More often than not the who gets the job is based on

In our crony capitalist systemits more often who you know than what you know.

Great essay.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 1:20 pm

In our crony capitalist systemits more often who you know than what you know.

Great essay.

When it comes to state contracts there's always as degree of political patronage.  Speaking of, I'm delighted to hear Massachusetts House speaker Tom Finneran is stepping down today.  This is a great blow against the nasty old political machine that gums up the state legislature year after year.  Finneran is a Democrat, but not not my kind.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/27/04 at 1:41 pm

Another instance of Affirmative Action not working in the current form (or at least being easily loopholed) is the Alan Bakke reverse discrimination case in 1976. Bakke, a Jewish American, was denied a scholarship to Cal-Berkely. He blamed Affirmative Action, because he claimed that the college board gave "his" scholarship to an African-American based on her race. He won, causing a rift between blacks and Jewish Americans. While I agree to a reform to AA, I also agree that it should be use to help all minorities, not just African-Americans. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/04 at 1:57 pm

I am wondering when someone is going to sue for admittance claiming someone got in with lesser
qualifications because of their parents money, influence, legacy, or celebrity.  The suits are always
geared to minority affirmative action, not to those who recieve entrance through privilege.  After
seeing the performance of the bush twins at the convention it would be embarrasing to consider Barbara
a scholar from one of the top US universities.  As long as they keep us fighting ourselves they will
continue to do as they please.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/04 at 2:02 pm

When it comes to state contracts there's always as degree of political patronage.  Speaking of, I'm delighted to hear Massachusetts House speaker Tom Finneran is stepping down today.  This is a great blow against the nasty old political machine that gums up the state legislature year after year.  Finneran is a Democrat, but not not my kind.

I was so sick of looking at his arrogant face, but the people we elected who don't stand up to him are
worse.  Byron Rushing was the only one who went half way there, while everyone else beat feet. 
Now we will have to see what happens with DiMasi, personally I think they should get someone
from somewhere outside of 128, as long as the Boston politicos rule it will be business as usual.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 2:08 pm

I was so sick of looking at his arrogant face, but the people we elected who don't stand up to him are
worse.  Byron Rushing was the only one who went half way there, while everyone else beat feet. 
Now we will have to see what happens with DiMasi, personally I think they should get someone
from somewhere outside of 128, as long as the Boston politicos rule it will be business as usual.

You're telling me!  I live in Amherst, and these bozos can't see past Worcester.  Cowardice is a big problem in Massachusetts politics, but sometimes the fears were well-founded.  I'm glad DiMasi is pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and against the death penalty. 
Democrats have to learn to stop being so fractious, especially when it REALLY matters.  We wound up with this Mormon monster, Mitt Romney, because the Democrat support was split up among Tolman, Reich, Birmingham, and O'Brien.  Who do we wind up with as our candidate?  Shannon O'Brien...from Springfield!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/04 at 2:14 pm

You're telling me!  I live in Amherst, and these bozos can't see past Worcester.  Cowardice is a big problem in Massachusetts politics, but sometimes the fears were well-founded. 

It is true, these guys can get ugly, the Bulger Story is a Boston ,story of how politics here is a crime, and
crime is political.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 2:36 pm

Sad but more often than not, true :-\\

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/27/04 at 5:15 pm

So, okay on the Bakke case. He argued that the African-American woman got her place b/c of her race. So, why did it matter that he was Jewish-American? Wasn't it trying to play up his religion for a spot?

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 5:23 pm

So, okay on the Bakke case. He argued that the African-American woman got her place b/c of her race. So, why did it matter that he was Jewish-American? Wasn't it trying to play up his religion for a spot?

Tanya

I remember the basics of Bakke, but I don't recall Bakke was playing up being a Jewish American.  I'm not doubting he was, I just don't remember that part.

I never held it against "minorities" for taking advantage of affirmative action programs.  You got a card, you play it.  Some white students suspected certain "minorities" of doing underhanded things to get ahead.  This increased tensions on campus.  My attitude, was hey, you don't like it, write your congressman.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/27/04 at 9:29 pm

Tanya

Oh yeah, I remember that.  Robert Bakke was a guy who sued to get a spot in some California college.  He had very high marks, but didn't get in because, I THINK around 18 of the schools 100 open spots were reserved for black people and other minorities.  That does sound bad, losing a spot in college just because you're not black.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/04 at 10:02 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that.  Robert Bakke was a guy who sued to get a spot in some California college.  It had very high marks, but didn't get in because, I THINK around 18 of the schools 100 open spots were reserved for black people and other minorities.  That does sound bad, losing a spot in college just because you're not black.

I'm not so wild about that kind of quota either, but it doesn't compare to the injustice of decades prior in which Blacks couldn't even THINK about applying to law school!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/04 at 5:45 am

I remember reading somewhere that she finished school ahead of him in the standings.  Less
qualified, better student. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/28/04 at 6:05 am

I remember reading somewhere that she finished school ahead of him in the standings.  Less
qualified, better student. 

Okay, now who hell is she?

I found the court case info:

Affirmative Action in College Admissions

University of California Regents v Bakke (1976)

Alan Bakke, an engineer with high grades, applied to several medical schools in the hopes of one day becoming a doctor. Bakke was rejected by all of the schools he applied to but the University of California at Davis encouraged him to apply again. The next year Bakke again applied and was again rejected. Bakke then found out that the University's affirmative action program reserved 17 places for minority candidates regardless of qualifications. Bakke sued the University claiming that he was the victim of "reverse discrimination." The university argued that the creation of quotas was needed to ensure minority admission to college under their affirmative action program.

In a two part ruling the court ordered Bakke to be admitted to medical school. The court ruled that Bakke had, in fact, been discriminated against. The court did, however, uphold the legality of affirmative action programs. The court cited Harvard Universities affirmative action program that created guidelines for admission rather than strict quotas.

--So I made some mistakes, first off his name is Alan, not Robert like I had said.  Also it was 17 spots, not 18.  Either way, i'm proud that I could remember that much from something that happened in 1976.

Written By: McDonald on 09/28/04 at 10:30 am

I think Chris Rock has a good comedic point here. "I don't think I should get a job over a white person if I scored a lower mark on a test. I don't think I should get into a school over a white person if I score a lower mark on a test. Buf if it's a tie... f**k 'em!"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/28/04 at 2:52 pm

I think Chris Rock has a good comedic point here. "I don't think I should get a job over a white person if I scored a lower mark on a test. I don't think I should get into a school over a white person if I score a lower mark on a test. Buf if it's a tie... f**k 'em!"

Ha!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/28/04 at 3:17 pm

And that was the result of the Bakke case.  No more quotas, but if its a tie...

I am wondering when someone is going to sue for admittance claiming someone got in with lesser
qualifications because of their parents money, influence, legacy, or celebrity. The suits are always
geared to minority affirmative action, not to those who recieve entrance through privilege. After
seeing the performance of the bush twins at the convention it would be embarrasing to consider Barbara
a scholar from one of the top US universities. As long as they keep us fighting ourselves they will
continue to do as they please.

And here, in her usual lucidity and insight, Doon identified the real problem.  But you know, when the neocons get favorable treatment, its what they deserve.  When we people of color (and I are one, at least to some) get a leg up, its reverse discrimination.  They are such f...ing hypocrites.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/28/04 at 7:00 pm

I think her name was Toni Freeman or Toni Jordan. It was mentioned on the PBS documentary "Eyes On The Prize", which details the original intent of Affirmative Action and how people like Bakke and his lawyer tried to twist it in their favor.

Okay, now who hell is she?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/29/04 at 3:56 am

Conservatives weren't the ones singing that song 50 years ago.  I get the overall sense that conservatives haven't taken the lessons of inequality to heart, and would go back to those good old days in a snap if they could.

Oh really?  Lets look at the Civil Rights Act of 1964: 

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed largely due to the support of Republicans. According to Congressional Quarterly, in the Senate, 82% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act, while only 69% of Democrats did.  In the House, 80% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act versus 61% of Democrats. 

Upon signing the Civil Rights Act, President Johnson cited Republicans for their "overwhelming support" of the Act.

If you wanted to steer clear of racists, you may want to shy away from the direction of Democratic Senators like Al Gore Sr.(the former VP’s dad) and former KKK member Robert Byrd, who participated in an unsuccessful 74-day filibuster in an attempt to stop the Civil Rights Act.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 5:32 am

Oh really?  Lets look at the Civil Rights Act of 1964: 

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed largely due to the support of Republicans. According to Congressional Quarterly, in the Senate, 82% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act, while only 69% of Democrats did.  In the House, 80% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act versus 61% of Democrats. 

Upon signing the Civil Rights Act, President Johnson cited Republicans for their "overwhelming support" of the Act.

If you wanted to steer clear of racists, you may want to shy away from the direction of Democratic Senators like Al Gore Sr.(the former VP’s dad) and former KKK member Robert Byrd, who participated in an unsuccessful 74-day filibuster in an attempt to stop the Civil Rights Act.

Once again you haven't been paying attention.  The Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act
were the Dixiecrats who promptly changed parties to the Republican Party and are now Republicans.
And If you want to go into lineage how about checking out Prescott Bush, you do know about Prescott? No you probably don't.  Well, google "Prescott Bush" and "Nazi", actually you don't have to add Nazi, it will come up on its own

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/29/04 at 6:03 am

Once again you haven't been paying attention.  The Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act
were the Dixiecrats who promptly changed parties to the Republican Party and are now Republicans.
And If you want to go into lineage how about checking out Prescott Bush, you do know about Prescott? No you probably don't.  Well, google "Prescott Bush" and "Nazi", actually you don't have to add Nazi, it will come up on its own

Wow nice change of the subject.  And tell me what party is Robert ''Sheets'' Byrd CURRENTLY in?  The Prescott Bush is garbage and has nothing to do with the current President, and you know it.  Sickening, it really is.  Do you not think we couldn't find a link that weak with Kerry?  When you feel like talking about Affirmative Action, get back to me, otherwise at least maintain some dignity and stop trying to compare Bush to the socialist NAZI party and/or Hitler.  Moveon.org already did a commercial about Bush being like Hitler, and according to www.readmylipz.com it was the only commercial, approved or 527, that was rejected by a majority of undecided voters.  So go ahead, stay on Bush-Hitler, we'll see if it works.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/29/04 at 6:11 am

Oh look, I managed to find something on it from ''The Straight Dope'' a non-partisan site which answers question about any and everything:

Dear Cecil:

I read in the New Yorker that George W. Bush's grandfather and great-grandfather worked for Brown Brothers Harriman, and had clients who funded the building of the Nazi regime. I searched the Net and found hundreds of sites giving volumes of details and listing sources like the New York Times and the Library of Congress. Conspiracy theories aside, what's the truth about our president's family? --Matt Tiegler

Cecil replies:

Remember how during the Clinton era there were all those rabid EOBs (Enemies of Bill) who seemingly devoted their every waking hour to propagating scurrilous stories about the president and his family? Well, an equally dedicated crew is now spreading sensational allegations about Dubya and his forebears. (Sample: the president's grandfather not only financed the Nazis, he used concentration-camp prisoners as slaves.) So each side gets a chance to drag the other through the mud. Is this a great country or what?

Though the Bush family's detractors are legion, one of the most prominent is John Loftus, a former federal prosecutor and past president of the Florida Holocaust Museum in Saint Petersburg. In 1994 Loftus coauthored a book with Mark Aarons entitled The Secret War Against the Jews: How Western Espionage Betrayed the Jewish People. The book alleges various misdeeds by George W.'s father, George H.W., his grandfather, Prescott Bush, and his great-grandfather, George Herbert Walker. Since space is limited we'll focus on the accusations against Prescott Bush, which in my opinion are the most serious.

The central charge against Prescott Bush has a basis in fact. In 1942, under the Trading With the Enemy Act, the U.S. government seized several companies in which he had an interest. Prescott at the time was an investment banker with Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH), which had funneled U.S. capital into Germany during the 1920s and '30s. Among the seized companies was the Union Banking Corporation (UBC) of New York, which was controlled by German industrialist Fritz Thyssen. Thyssen had been an early financier of the Nazi party--in fact, in 1941 he published a book entitled I Paid Hitler. Ergo, Prescott helped finance the Nazis.

An article by journalist Toby Rogers posted on Loftus's Web site makes an even more explosive charge. Another company in which Prescott and his associates had a stake was the Silesian-American Corporation (SAC), which owned several industrial concerns in Poland. The Auschwitz death camp was established in a district where SAC already had a steel plant. The plant allegedly used forced labor from Auschwitz during World War II. The article asserts that "a portion of the slave labor force in Poland was 'managed by Prescott Bush,' according to a Dutch intelligence agent." (See www.john-loftus.com/Thyssen.asp.)

The slave labor charge is easy to dismiss. SAC plants in Poland were taken over by the German government after the Nazi invasion of 1939, and the Auschwitz prison camp wasn't established until 1940. No one can seriously claim that Prescott Bush managed camp inmates in any of those plants.

Prescott's involvement with Nazi finance is more complicated. Though Thyssen had been an ardent backer of the Nazis in the early days, he broke with them in 1938 after the Kristallnacht pogrom against the Jews. He fled to Switzerland the following year, and Hitler confiscated his fortune and stripped him of his citizenship. In I Paid Hitler Thyssen confessed his role in financing the Nazis and denounced the Få²® Arrested in Vichy France, he spent the balance of the war as an Axis prisoner. Prescott Bush, for his part, owned a single share of stock (of 4,000) in UBC, the Thyssen bank. According to a 2001 Boston Globe piece, the New York Herald Tribune ran a story in July 1942 headlined "Hitler's Angel Has 3 Million in US Bank," in which Prescott and other BBH partners "explain to government regulators that their position was merely an unpaid courtesy for a client."

So, did Bush and his firm finance the Nazis and enable Germany to rearm? Indirectly, yes. But they had a lot of company. Some of the most distinguished names in American business had investments or subsidiaries in prewar Germany, including Standard Oil and General Motors. Critics have argued for years that without U.S. money, the Nazis could never have waged war. But American business has always invested in totalitarian regimes--witness our dealings with mainland China.

Loftus tells me there's more to it than that. He says that the value of German industrial assets in which Bush and friends invested increased during World War II, in part due to slave labor, and that Bush benefited from this increase when the assets were returned--supposedly he got $1.5 million when UBC was liquidated in 1951. I'll buy the claim that Bush got his share of UBC back--it was an American bank, after all--but the idea that his German holdings increased in value despite being obliterated by Allied bombs is ridiculous.

--CECIL ADAMS

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 6:49 am

Wow nice change of the subject.  And tell me what party is Robert ''Sheets'' Byrd CURRENTLY in?  The Prescott Bush is garbage and has nothing to do with the current President, and you know it.  Sickening, it really is. 

You equated Gore Jr to Gore Sr. that was not on topic.  To get back to AA and the bushes.  little george,
without any qualifications, was bumped over 150 qualified candidates into the Air National Guard.  He
was able to enter Harvard Law after an undistinguished career at Yale, and a refusal for Texas Law.  Do
you understand that this is all because of his privileged life, and if it were you and him, he would be allowed in over you solely on the basis of his birth, meanwhile people are focusing their attention on others in the same economic boat, point fingers, and fight over the scraps from the table while people like the bushes laugh, and dangle the carrot in front of your nose.  While we see the faults in Kerry, you seem to be star struck with bush, much like the trusted lifelong family butler.Where does that come from?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/29/04 at 9:27 am

much like the trusted lifelong family butler.

The only one with a butler is Senator Kerry and his PB&J butler.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/04 at 9:32 am

You equated Gore Jr to Gore Sr. that was not on topic.  To get back to AA and the bushes.  little george,
without any qualifications, was bumped over 150 qualified candidates into the Air National Guard.  He
was able to enter Harvard Law after an undistinguished career at Yale, and a refusal for Texas Law.  Do
you understand that this is all because of his privileged life, and if it were you and him, he would be allowed in over you solely on the basis of his birth, meanwhile people are focusing their attention on others in the same economic boat, point fingers, and fight over the scraps from the table while people like the bushes laugh, and dangle the carrot in front of your nose.  While we see the faults in Kerry, you seem to be star struck with bush, much like the trusted lifelong family butler.Where does that come from?

It comes from either being so much an ideolog as to prefer his beliefs over reality and...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 10:53 am

The only one with a butler is Senator Kerry and his PB&J butler.

Don't get it. ???

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/04 at 11:57 am

Don't get it. ???

Me either, but is it worth it?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/29/04 at 12:16 pm

Don't get it. ???

Probably because of the horrible grammar I use, especially when I don't proof read.  Maxwell I'm sure knows about this as well since he is a Hannity listener (who deep-down inside wants to be Hannitized.)  Kerry has a private butler, who's sole purpose is to follow the Senator around and make him peanut butter and jelly (PB&J) sandwiches.  Thats his entire job, follow Kerry around and have water and peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwiches waiting for him at all times.  How in tune with the average Joe.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/04 at 12:32 pm

Probably because of the horrible grammar I use, especially when I don't proof read.  Maxwell I'm sure knows about this as well since he is a Hannity listener (who deep-down inside wants to be Hannitized.)  Kerry has a private butler, who's sole purpose is to follow the Senator around and make him peanut butter and jelly (PB&J) sandwiches.  Thats his entire job, follow Kerry around and have water and peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwiches waiting for him at all times.  How in tune with the average Joe.

So Kerry is providing employment to some one, presumably a documented worker.  I wonder how much housework Laura does, and how many maides, butlers, cooks work at the ranch in Crawford?  Its obvious that she doesn't even vacuum the quarters in the White House.  Talk about being in ture with the average Joe.  This is just another diversion from the real issues, which GWB always avoids, like the danger to our constitutional rights embodied in the Patriot act, the war in Iraq, the loss of jobs, the degredation of the environment, the increase in poverty, the increasing  lack of health insurance...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 1:56 pm

Well bless his heart.  If that story is true it is enough for me.  I know a few business men that pay people to do things that seem inconsequential like stick around just in case they need someone for an errand, or keep the floor swept.  In these cases the people they employ have some form of disabllitily that keeps them from doing anything more substantial.  I would bet that if this story is true that that is the case, and I bet he pays well.  I've never met anyone against something like that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/04 at 4:02 pm

So Kerry is providing employment to some one, presumably a documented worker.  I wonder how much housework Laura does, and how many maides, butlers, cooks work at the ranch in Crawford?  Its obvious that she doesn't even vacuum the quarters in the White House.  Talk about being in ture with the average Joe.  This is just another diversion from the real issues, which GWB always avoids, like the danger to our constitutional rights embodied in the Patriot act, the war in Iraq, the loss of jobs, the degredation of the environment, the increase in poverty, the increasing  lack of health insurance...

Oh, the butler isn't the issue, it's that elitist Northeastern yuppie snob sissy gourmet cuisine...peanut butter and jelly...

See, it's not about Kerry, per se, it's about making Democrats, whoever they are, look bad.  I used to hear right-wing radio hosts dumping on Clinton because he didn't own his own home before he became President.  You can't win!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/30/04 at 8:21 pm

I feel that Affirmative Action did have it's time and place.  When it was enacted, it was badly needed, to help correct things in the past, and to make things more equal.  But after 40 years, it is past time to end it.

I was in California when they ammended the State Constitution to make it illegal.  It is not fair to give preferences to anybody, it is unfair to others, and does a disservice to those who are given a "free ride".

In California, Whites needed a 3.8 GPA to get into the State College system.  Hispanics needed a 3.2 GPA to get in.  Blacks only needed a 2.8 GPA to get in.  At the same time, Asians needed a 4.0+ GPA to get in!  In fact, a perfect 4.0 was not enough if you were Asian, you needed to do even better then that!  This is because of the "Quota System" in place.

Is it any wonder that Asians in California felt picked upon?  Is it any wonder they were offended that Blacks could get into College with a C Average, but they had to be better then perfect?  I would be offended as well.

And at the same time, it sent the wrong message to Blacks.  It told them "You do not have to work as hard.  You can do less work, because we will take care of you."  This just reinforces the wrong belief that some people have that minorities are "not as good" as Whites, or any other group.  At the same time, it reinforces the belief in Asians that they have to be better then anybody else just to be seen as equal.

Affirmative Action was needed in this country.  But if things have not been made equal in 2 generations, then something else needs to be tried.  And by making things like employment and college admission dependent on Race is wrong.  Because it punishes the smaller minorities like Asians.

If somebody truely believes in Affirmitive Action, then they should be willing to take it a step further.  Allow quotas to Jews, because they also are a minority, and are not just a religion, but also a race.  Set quotas also by sex, so the student body is roughly 50-50 male to female.  To make sure that it is politically diverse, make sure that roughly 45% are Liberal, 45% are Conservative, and 10% are in the middle (after removing the appropriate percentages to make quotas for Communists, Socialists, and White Supremists).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/04 at 11:01 pm

Judaism is a religion, not a race, Mushroom. They are Jews of all colors as they are Muslims of all colors. They are more women in college now then males. Women are the majority. We are make up 51% of the country alone. As for politically diverse collegiate settings, I studied with individuals possessing all political thoughts, so setting a system based on that alone is unnecessary.

Tanya

Written By: Mushroom on 09/30/04 at 11:56 pm

Judaism is a religion, not a race, Mushroom.

To a lot of Jews, it is a Race.  This is not my definition.  White Supremists have picked up on this as well, because they also refer to them as the "Jewish Race".

There are many reasons for this.  One of the most notable is that unlike most other religions, Judaism does not actively seek converts.  And from ancient times, they thought of themselves apart from the other peoples and nations of the region.  Not just different in religion, but in many other ways.

Add to that the fact that most believe themselves descended from a single patriarch.

There is also some genetic basis on this.  Like the Sycle Cell is almost exclusively found in Blacks, there are genes that are almost exclusively found in Jewish bloodlines.  The "Cohen Gene" and Tay Sacks Disease are perfect examples of this.  Both of which are almost NEVER found outside of Jewish families.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/04 at 6:05 am

Is it any wonder that Asians in California felt picked upon?  Is it any wonder they were offended that Blacks could get into College with a C Average, but they had to be better then perfect?  I would be offended as well.

It is wrong to assume that all admitted under AA are less qualified.The reason for AA was because more
qualified applicants were not accepted on the basis of race.  That is something that has been lost in this
argument.
One wonders why the working classes don't feel picked on.  Why aren't more offended that bushie could
get into Yale, then Harvard with a C average?  How many underqualified legacies were admitted over
more qualified applicants?  Among the Elite it was their right, instead of giving out cigars at the birth
of a baby, to go down to whatever Ivy League University dad, or Mom, had attended and enroll the
child for the class they would grow up to attend.  There wasn't any question that they child would be
admitted.  I would say, if it was looked into. this practice is still in effect, though now it is an unspoken
pact.  The time has come to expand AA to along economic lines to see that qualified applicants in lower
income levels are able to have the same opportunities as less qualified legacies.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/04 at 12:37 pm

80's cheerleader, I agree with just submitting your SSN as a means of judging; however, the realist in me would still think something unethical would occur.

Tanya

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 12:50 pm

I say we just take the "race" question off the college registration.  Gender as well.  That way, you are admitted or denied admission based solely on your merit.  Heck, let's take the name off too and go simply by social security number.  That way, there's absolutely NO bias either way.

True, but 80's you're using logic.  You're going against the left.  They will say ''but i'm not sure that in today's world we could fully dump AA because thier is still racism.''  They said the same thing 10 years ago.  And they will say it 10 years from now.  I wish I knew when racism to them was gone so we can end AA, which in itself is no-doubt racism.

''Isn't it amazing just how RIGHT conservatives are, and how better off we would be if liberals LEFT?'' -Rush Limbaugh.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/04 at 3:42 pm

True, but 80's you're using logic.  You're going against the left.  They will say ''but i'm not sure that in today's world we could fully dump AA because thier is still racism.''  They said the same thing 10 years ago.  And they will say it 10 years from now.  I wish I knew when racism to them was gone so we can end AA, which in itself is no-doubt racism.

''Isn't it amazing just how RIGHT conservatives are, and how better off we would be if liberals LEFT?'' -Rush Limbaugh.

To deny that racism no longer exists is, I think, absolutely absurd.  And to avoid the issue of the advantages of the privileged is equally absurd.  But then, what can one expect from... Oh well. :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/04 at 4:14 pm

Anyone who thinks racism (or sexism) no longer exists never had to deal with this issue. Case closed.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/04 at 6:14 am

Anyone who thinks racism (or sexism) no longer exists never had to deal with this issue. Case closed.

Tanya

Everyday, everytime I walk out of the house, sometimes blatant, sometimes subtle, always
there.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/02/04 at 8:02 pm

Everyday, everytime I walk out of the house, sometimes blatant, sometimes subtle, always
there.

I'm there with ya! Believe me!

Tanya

Written By: Mushroom on 10/04/04 at 4:59 pm

To deny that racism no longer exists is, I think, absolutely absurd.

Oh racism does exist.  But the institutional racism that we had 30+ years ago is largely a thing of the past.

There always have been, and always will be racist people.  That is just part of human nature.  We are all somewhat uneasy in one form or another of people/ideas/cultures foreign to our own.  The differences is in how we react to them.

Myself, I eagerly embrace them.  In fact, many times in the past I have actively sought them out.  When I was in Japan, I did not just go to the "American Districts" like 99% of the servicemen.  I would actually go a mile or more in another direction.  I loved to find little neighborhood places to eat, where the only communication was was a corm of charades (and my very poor Japanese).  I would often take the local busses (an experience in itself) to go even further when I could.  This let me see things that almost nobody else in my unit saw.  They would brag about the time they had in a bar the weekend before, while I would brag about the Tempura I had, or the view from a little hilltop park miles away from the bar district.

Truely ignorant people though fear and often hate things different.  They try to "whitewash" everything, until the entire world looks like them.  The best we can do is speak out against them, and to make sure that nobody believes them.

For the last 10 years, I have worked professionally.  And in this time, I can not remember one case of racism (not counting individuals).  In fact, several times I have worked in crews where I was the minority as a white male.  One crew was myself, 2 Asians (1 male 1 female), 1 Black (our supervisor), and 3 Hispanics (1 female).

In fact, it is both dangerous and stupid for a Corporation or Government agency to discriminate.  The backlash (both legal and economical) are now so severe, that no reasonable group would dare to risk it.  Besides, why would a group not want the best qualified person it can find for a position?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/04/04 at 7:26 pm

Institutional racism still exists, though not to the degree of 30+ years ago. Politically, it can be found in the illegal practice of redistricting. In Real Estate, it is found in the form of higher prices for a couple of color (or a same-sex couple even) than for a white couple. In education and the workplace, it is found in quotas The list goes on and on. It may not be as blatant as it was then, but it never left. It's just more subversive.

I certainly agree with you in the danger and stupidity involved in discrimination by a governmental agency. However, that danger hasn't really stop them. Our history books tell us that.

Tanya

Written By: Mushroom on 10/04/04 at 7:55 pm

Institutional racism still exists, though not to the degree of 30+ years ago. Politically, it can be found in the illegal practice of redistricting. In Real Estate, it is found in the form of higher prices for a couple of color (or a same-sex couple even) than for a white couple.

I can't imagine that.  In fact, when I had my house for sale, I would have sold it to anybody.  And during the 3 negotiations for possible sales, the race or sex or marital status for the people making the offers never even came up (nor was it told to me).  I just can't picture somebody saying "What is the race of the person making the offer?  They are Black/Asian/Hispanic?  Raise the offer $10k."

In fact, such activities are illegal, and easily litigated.  I myself once was refused rental when the owner found out that my fiancee` and I were not married yet.  We simply looked at him, wished him a nice day, and left.  We made a complaint to the county Fair Housing office, and found another place to live.  They tried to get us to move in, but we refused.  We already decided that we did not want to rent from somebody like that.  But out of all the places we lived while she was alive, that was the only time that subject ever came up.

And that type of thing had never happened with my ex-wife.  Even when we were renters and buying a house in the South, nobody cared one bit about what race she was.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 8:08 pm

Oh racism does exist.  But the institutional racism that we had 30+ years ago is largely a thing of the past.

There always have been, and always will be racist people.  That is just part of human nature.  We are all somewhat uneasy in one form or another of people/ideas/cultures foreign to our own.  The differences is in how we react to them.

Myself, I eagerly embrace them.  In fact, many times in the past I have actively sought them out.  When I was in Japan, I did not just go to the "American Districts" like 99% of the servicemen.  I would actually go a mile or more in another direction.  I loved to find little neighborhood places to eat, where the only communication was was a corm of charades (and my very poor Japanese).  I would often take the local busses (an experience in itself) to go even further when I could.  This let me see things that almost nobody else in my unit saw.  They would brag about the time they had in a bar the weekend before, while I would brag about the Tempura I had, or the view from a little hilltop park miles away from the bar district.

Truely ignorant people though fear and often hate things different.  They try to "whitewash" everything, until the entire world looks like them.  The best we can do is speak out against them, and to make sure that nobody believes them.

For the last 10 years, I have worked professionally.  And in this time, I can not remember one case of racism (not counting individuals).  In fact, several times I have worked in crews where I was the minority as a white male.  One crew was myself, 2 Asians (1 male 1 female), 1 Black (our supervisor), and 3 Hispanics (1 female).

In fact, it is both dangerous and stupid for a Corporation or Government agency to discriminate.  The backlash (both legal and economical) are now so severe, that no reasonable group would dare to risk it.  Besides, why would a group not want the best qualified person it can find for a position?
If anything...in certain circles there is now "Reverse" Racism. I HATE the KKK and I also tire of ANY group that discriminates against other races :P

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/04 at 5:57 am

I am an African American woman who grew up in a white community.  There was a small
African American community in my city, but the general rule was that any minority child
in school was probably the only minority in their classroom.  When you grow up in those
circumstances, straddling the line, as it were, you become aware of the subtleties of
racism.  The friend who called to ask about clothing styles, she was worried about buying
her son clothes that are the latest in "gangsta".  Why would she assume that I would know
anymore about the latest "gangsta" styles then she knows?  The friend who was surprised
that I listened to Tears for Fears, and not to P. Diddy. The friends who cannot explain why
when going to certain resteraunts the service is so bad when I am along, usually it is so good.
Then of course there is a very close friend from childhood, white male.  He said to me, "don't
even think for a minute that things are equal.  I know how white people talk when black
people aren't around.  I know that you would never be hired in the company I work for because
they only hire as many minorities as they have to and not any more.  There are places that are
better, some are worse, this is the norm."

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/05/04 at 8:53 pm

I can't imagine that.  In fact, when I had my house for sale, I would have sold it to anybody.  And during the 3 negotiations for possible sales, the race or sex or marital status for the people making the offers never even came up (nor was it told to me).  I just can't picture somebody saying "What is the race of the person making the offer?  They are Black/Asian/Hispanic?  Raise the offer $10k."

In fact, such activities are illegal, and easily litigated.  I myself once was refused rental when the owner found out that my fiancee` and I were not married yet.  We simply looked at him, wished him a nice day, and left.  We made a complaint to the county Fair Housing office, and found another place to live.  They tried to get us to move in, but we refused.  We already decided that we did not want to rent from somebody like that.  But out of all the places we lived while she was alive, that was the only time that subject ever came up.

And that type of thing had never happened with my ex-wife.  Even when we were renters and buying a house in the South, nobody cared one bit about what race she was.

I'm glad you never experienced it with your ex-wife. But, that doesn't mean it doesn't occur. Be mindful that you are one member of the entire country.

Danoota, I agree with you. I notice the subtleties as well. As for reverse racism, I am still debating if there is still such a thing. Racism is defined as beliefs, practices, and institutions that negatively discriminate against people based on their perceived or ascribed race. Sometimes the term is also used to describe the belief that race is the primary determinant of human capacities, or that individuals should be treated differently based on their ascribed race. There is a growing, but controversial, tendency to state that racism is essentially a system of oppression that combines racist beliefs - whether they be explicit, tacit or unconscious - with the power to have a negative impact on those discriminated against on a societal level.

Basically, to be racist, is to have power. For example, governmental agencies could use this hateful institution to hinder others. Unfortunately, people confuse racism with prejudice/bias. The common man can be biased or prejudiced, not racist b/c he (or she) cannot systematically put that bias into a powerful position (e.g. school enrollment, hiring practices).

Tanya

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/06/04 at 2:46 pm

Danoota, I agree with you. I notice the subtleties as well. As for reverse racism, I am still debating if there is still such a thing. Racism is defined as beliefs, practices, and institutions that negatively discriminate against people based on their perceived or ascribed race. Sometimes the term is also used to describe the belief that race is the primary determinant of human capacities, or that individuals should be treated differently based on their ascribed race. There is a growing, but controversial, tendency to state that racism is essentially a system of oppression that combines racist beliefs - whether they be explicit, tacit or unconscious - with the power to have a negative impact on those discriminated against on a societal level.

Basically, to be racist, is to have power. For example, governmental agencies could use this hateful institution to hinder others. Unfortunately, people confuse racism with prejudice/bias. The common man can be biased or prejudiced, not racist b/c he (or she) cannot systematically put that bias into a powerful position (e.g. school enrollment, hiring practices).

Tanya

Thank you Tanya, for a very insightful post.  I have tried to make the same points on several occasions.  By  the way, when I eat out I am always observant of the service given to people who are obviously "of color".  If I precieve it to be worse than what "white people" are getting, I either walk out (without paying) or make a stink, or both.   

I also hate the KKK, but not because they are white, so to hate them cannot be said to be reverse racism.  It isnb't their race I hate, its their beliefs and actions.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/06/04 at 3:50 pm

Thanks, Don Carlos. I am often perplexed by the misuse of the word racism.

Tanya

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/10/04 at 8:19 pm

I wonder if people with certain disabilities would be working in DECENT jobs if there were no affirmative action...I think losing affirmative action would mean that those with physical,menta,and emotional challenges would ALL be hidden in 'sheltered' employment aka workshops,not working in real jobs!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/04 at 6:00 am

I wonder if people with certain disabilities would be working in DECENT jobs if there were no affirmative action...I think losing affirmative action would mean that those with physical,menta,and emotional challenges would ALL be hidden in 'sheltered' employment aka workshops,not working in real jobs!

When I was in grade school there was a girl with disabilities in my class, we got to be good
friends.  Her mother fought very hard to keep her in public school, but in the end lost and
she was sent to  a school for the "retarded".  Her disability? Leg braces from polio.  I often
wonder what happened to her, I think the family moved, probably to find a more hospitable
school system, not easy in the 50's for people of limited means. Today that wouldn't happen
because of Affirmative Action.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/04 at 4:39 pm

Thanks, Tony, for bringing this up. Affirmative Action has unfortunately been categorized as a black-white issue when it isn't. AA makes sure everyone underrepresented is represented. So, women, the disabled, people of color, various religions are included and benefit.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/04 at 4:46 pm

The new bigotry promoted by the Right is against "liberals," the French, and any poor person who asks for help from the government.  Feel free to rain hate upon these classes of people with extreme prejudice.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/04 at 4:51 pm

The new bigotry promoted by the Right is against "liberals," the French, and any poor person who asks for help from the government.  Feel free to rain hate upon these classes of people with extreme prejudice.

That's so true! The Right seem to be very hateful people. It's so funny how they say that they are Christians, yet they often do "un-Christian-like" things. Though, they aren't the only ones. They just use it as their crutch more.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/04 at 5:24 pm

That's so true! The Right seem to be very hateful people. It's so funny how they say that they are Christians, yet they often do "un-Christian-like" things. Though, they aren't the only ones. They just use it as their crutch more.

Tanya

Rush Limbaugh's jagoff brother David wrote a book called Persecution, in which he lays out a twisted argument about American Christians being persecuted by "liberals" and Hollywood.
This is part of what journalist Thomas Frank call's the Right's "Plen-T-Plaint."  The Plen-T-Plaint refers to their endless bellyaching about "Hollywood elites," teacher unions, liberals of all stripes, government regulations, taxes on wealthy people, abortion rights, immigration, secularism, and so on and so on.
Logical analysis of economics is forbidden in the Plen-T-Plaint.  In their delusional world, a Massachusetts millionaire who lives in a McMansion and drives a Lincoln Navigator is persecuted.  He is persecuted because he is a Christian and the Massachusetts government is full of secularists who work against him.  He is persecuted because he works eighty hours a week and the government taxes him at 44%.  He is persecuted because he's white and a Black guy got a job ahead of amore qualified White guy.  That kind of thing.
Meanwhile, a poor slob like me is an "elitist."  I'm an elitist because I drink lattes and live in Amherst.  I'm an elitist because I read Noam Chomsky.  I'm an elitist because I don't like NASCAR and deer hunting.  I'm an elitist because I listen to NPR, and so on and so on.  That's right I am a member of the "liberal elite."  The fact that my only asset is a beat up old Acura, and I'm up to my nose in defaulted student loans doesn't enter into it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/04 at 6:24 pm

Rush Limbaugh's jagoff brother David wrote a book called Persecution, in which he lays out a twisted argument about American Christians being persecuted by "liberals" and Hollywood.
This is part of what journalist Thomas Frank call's the Right's "Plen-T-Plaint."  The Plen-T-Plaint refers to their endless bellyaching about "Hollywood elites," teacher unions, liberals of all stripes, government regulations, taxes on wealthy people, abortion rights, immigration, secularism, and so on and so on.
Logical analysis of economics is forbidden in the Plen-T-Plaint.  In their delusional world, a Massachusetts millionaire who lives in a McMansion and drives a Lincoln Navigator is persecuted.  He is persecuted because he is a Christian and the Massachusetts government is full of secularists who work against him.  He is persecuted because he works eighty hours a week and the government taxes him at 44%.  He is persecuted because he's white and a Black guy got a job ahead of amore qualified White guy.  That kind of thing.
Meanwhile, a poor slob like me is an "elitist."  I'm an elitist because I drink lattes and live in Amherst.  I'm an elitist because I read Noam Chomsky.  I'm an elitist because I don't like NASCAR and deer hunting.  I'm an elitist because I listen to NPR, and so on and so on.  That's right I am a member of the "liberal elite."  The fact that my only asset is a beat up old Acura, and I'm up to my nose in defaulted student loans doesn't enter into it.

I guess I'm an elitist as well, Maxwell! But, don't tell anyone b/c I don't them to think that I got my position over a more qualified white elitist! Ha!

Tanya

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/11/04 at 7:40 pm

But Max, don't you know that we live in a meritocracy?  Those rich SOB's earned every penny, even if daddy gave them millions in start-up capital.  Come on now, face up to it.  Why couldn't your parants give you these advantages?  You just don't get it.  Its the golden rule, them's what gots the gold gets to make the rules.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/04 at 1:19 pm

Oh, but D.C., don't you remember that the meek shall inherit the earth?

Tanya

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/12/04 at 2:05 pm

Oh, but D.C., don't you remember that the meek shall inherit the earth?

Tanya

But when?  I hope its before I die.  I'm not interested in pie in the sky.  I think you, and a number of others would enjoy an album by U. Utah Phillips called Wobbly Songs and Stories, probably out of print now, but those guys really got it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/04 at 2:21 pm

I'll see if I can catch a copy. Thanks, D.C.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/04 at 1:07 am

But Max, don't you know that we live in a meritocracy?  Those rich SOB's earned every penny, even if daddy gave them millions in start-up capital.  Come on now, face up to it.  Why couldn't your parants give you these advantages?  You just don't get it.  Its the golden rule, them's what gots the gold gets to make the rules.

Yeah, I bet my old man wishes he had a will, so he could cut me out of it! Muahahaha!  (he would, too!).

What does SOB stand for? Son of a Bush?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/04 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, I bet my old man wishes he had a will, so he could cut me out of it! Muahahaha!  (he would, too!).

What does SOB stand for? Son of a Bush?

You got that right!!

Cat said the same thing to me.  Brilliant minds... :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/13/04 at 6:20 pm

This is part of what journalist Thomas Frank call's the Right's "Plen-T-Plaint." The Plen-T-Plaint refers to their endless bellyaching about "Hollywood elites," teacher unions, liberals of all stripes, government regulations, taxes on wealthy people, abortion rights, immigration, secularism, and so on and so on.
Logical analysis of economics is forbidden in the Plen-T-Plaint. In their delusional world, a Massachusetts millionaire who lives in a McMansion and drives a Lincoln Navigator is persecuted. He is persecuted because he is a Christian and the Massachusetts government is full of secularists who work against him. He is persecuted because he works eighty hours a week and the government taxes him at 44%. He is persecuted because he's white and a Black guy got a job ahead of amore qualified White guy. That kind of thing.
Meanwhile, a poor slob like me is an "elitist." I'm an elitist because I drink lattes and live in Amherst. I'm an elitist because I read Noam Chomsky. I'm an elitist because I don't like NASCAR and deer hunting. I'm an elitist because I listen to NPR, and so on and so on. That's right I am a member of the "liberal elite." The fact that my only asset is a beat up old Acura, and I'm up to my nose in defaulted student loans doesn't enter into it.
I like NASCAR,but I don't necessarily agree with hunting...I hope you don't think I'm weird cause I like auto racing. Am I an 'elitist' because I think vegging out in front of the TV is a waste of time,that I'd rather read and use my computer than be a couch potato? If I am,then let the repressive Limbaughites think it lol!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/04 at 3:02 pm

I'll see if I can catch a copy. Thanks, D.C.

Tanya

If you can't find a copy let me know.  We can dub you a tape (don't have it on CD).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/17/04 at 10:16 pm

That would be cool, D.C.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...