» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Audiences for O'Reilly & Stewart... which is smarter?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/28/04 at 2:48 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/28/tv.stewart.oreilly.ap/index.html

no surprise here.

Subject: Re: Audiences for O'Reilly & Stewart... which is smarter?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/04 at 3:09 pm

I only regret that John Stewart has so little time on the air compared to O'Reilly. 

Stewart hasn't earned the wrath of the Right the Franken and Moore have because John Stewart is so darn hard to hate.  Satire does tend to appeal to more sophisticated people than the plaintive anger dished out by Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly.  Stewart is pokes fun a the Democrats and liberals, too, but his wit is more stinging to Republicans and conservatives.  This is because satire is a big kick in the pants to to sanctimony and sanctimony has been a mainstay of conservatism for centuries.  Also, the fact that todays Right is so full of lies and hypocrisy spoofing like shooting fish in a barrel.

As I've pointed out before, Limbaugh and his ilk TRY satire, but it flops.  The elements of satire don't work when it's the king mocking the peasants.  I know many consumers of right-wing media DO think it's funny, but to tell you why would be grossly insulting to them.
:-X

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/28/04 at 8:28 pm

''Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of "The Daily Show" were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don't''

Well nah sh**.  Watching some political shows, if it its only Jon Stewart (or whatever his REAL name is), gives you a little better understanding then watching nothing.  But I wouldn't tell anyone who plans to vote to watch an idiot like Stewart make an a** of himself like usual.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/28/04 at 8:36 pm

''Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of "The Daily Show" were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don't''

Well nag sh**.  Watching some political shows, if it its only Jon Stewart (or whatever his REAL name is), gives you a little better understanding then watching nothing.  But I wouldn't tell anyone who plans to vote to watch an idiot like Stewart make an a** of himself like usual.

Oooo, touchy. But the other people DO watch a political show, The O'Reilly Factor, so nice try, but a miss.

And why are you suggesting Jon Stewart isn't his real name? What are you implying by capitalizing 'real'? I shouldn't expect you to understand humor though. That is a big mistake on my part. After all, you are the waste of human genetic code who thinks the color of Kerry's skin is a more important topic than civil liberties.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/28/04 at 8:40 pm

Oooo, touchy. But the other people DO watch a political show, The O'Reilly Factor, so nice try, but a miss.

And why are you suggesting Jon Stewart isn't his real name? What are you implying by capitalizing 'real'? I shouldn't expect you to understand humor though. That is a big mistake on my part. After all, you are the waste of human genetic code who thinks the color of Kerry's skin is a more important topic than civil liberties.

You REALLY think his real name is Jon Stewart?  It could be a stage name, or maybe he had it legally changed, but there is no way his birth name was Jon Stewart, and I'd even wager money on it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/04 at 8:40 pm

I'll have to search around to find the study that concluded those who watch the most Fox News tend to be most misinformed, where those who consume the most NPR tend to be least misinformed.

Well nag sh**.  Watching some political shows, if it its only Jon Stewart (or whatever his REAL name is)
A-ha! Anti-semitism! (joke)
;D
gives you a little better understanding then watching nothing.  But I wouldn't tell anyone who plans to vote to watch an idiot like Stewart make an a** of himself like usual.

And Stewart is an "idiot" because...?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/28/04 at 8:44 pm

A-ha! Anti-semitism! (joke)
;D

Anti-semitism?  Wait, he's jewish? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/04 at 8:52 pm

Anti-semitism?  Wait, he's jewish? 

Nooo, the joke was referred to the fact that antisemitism caused many Jewish entertainers in the past to change their names to Anglo-sounding monikers.  For example, Jacob Gellman became Jack Gilford, Shelley Schrift became Shelley Winters, and even Woody Allen used to be Allen Konigsberg.  SO...when you say "or whatever his REAL name is" when speaking disparagingly of a Jewish entertainer with an Anglo-sounding name, it harkens back to the bad old days when being Jewish was NOT cool in much of America.  That's all.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/28/04 at 8:53 pm

Well put Maxwell.

If anti-semetism was not the intent of your comment, GWB, what was? Why were you suspicious of his name?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/28/04 at 8:55 pm

Nooo, the joke was referred to the fact that antisemitism caused many Jewish entertainers in the past to change their names to Anglo-sounding monikers.  For example, Jacob Gellman became Jack Gilford, Shelley Schrift became Shelley Winters, and even Woody Allen used to be Allen Konigsberg.  SO...when you say "or whatever his REAL name is" when speaking disparagingly of a Jewish entertainer with an Anglo-sounding name, it harkens back to the bad old days when being Jewish was NOT cool in much of America.  That's all.

I didn't know that, its just Jon Stewart sounds so fake.  I mean its no different then John Smith or Billy Bob.

Written By: Jessica on 09/28/04 at 10:14 pm

Since GW is so hung up on Stewart's name, I looked at IMDb and found that Jon Stewart did change his name. His real name is Jonathan Stewart Leibowitz. Good God in heaven, the end of the world is nigh because Jon Stewart dropped his last name! Apocalypse is upon us! ::)

And yes GW, that was sarcasm. :P

Written By: Satish on 09/28/04 at 10:31 pm

Since GW is so hung up on Stewart's name, I looked at IMDb and found that Jon Stewart did change his name. His real name is Jonathan Stewart Leibowitz. Good God in heaven, the end of the world is nigh because Jon Stewart dropped his last name! Apocalypse is upon us! ::)

Actually, it's kind of perceptive of GW to figure out he changed his name. It's not something that most people would notice.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/28/04 at 10:33 pm

Hey I got it right.  Not bad for someone who never watched the show.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/04 at 5:43 am

Actually, it's kind of perceptive of GW to figure out he changed his name. It's not something that most people would notice.

Most of the entertainers have stage names.  I thought he might have changed the Jon from
something else, that not being an ordinary spelling of the name.  In entertainment Liebowitz could have been the end of a career.

Check for new replies or respond here...