» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: NICE Debate....They Actually Were "Nice" to each other!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/30/04 at 10:49 pm

What did YOU think of tonights debate? I thought it was GREAT that Kerry and Bush complimented each other! It's sad that they can't just "Merge" and run this place :-\\
Okay all the Liberals...the gates are open....start downing my positive thoughts ::)

Subject: Re: NICE Debate....They Actually Were "Nice" to each other!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/04 at 10:52 pm

Of course, I will, Mark!  ;) It was good! Kerry did a great job. Bush stumbled as to be expected. I guess you can say he started strong, but lost his way nonetheless. I'll see next one, though.

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/30/04 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, Bush got creamed. He kept pausing in the 30 second rebuttals as if he was intentionally drawing out his statements, and he kept flat out ignoring some questions and rattling on about other stuff, like the question about whether he thinks Kerry being elected will increase the likelihood of a terror attack, he said he doesn't think he will win, and never answered the question.

Kerry appeared confident, and never lost his cool. Bush on the other hand seemed like he was nervous, impatient, or something. He just didn't seem like his usual self. DEFINITELY not a repeat of the '84 debates like I thought it would be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/04 at 11:17 pm

Even Fred Barnes couldn't trash Kerry after this one. 
I was predicting no matter what happened the cable pundits were going to dump on Kerry and flatter Bush.
The best Peggy Noonan could come up with was that Bush seemed like a normal guy getting creamed by a great debater, so all the normaly guys would sympathize with Bush. 
So I'm happy to be wrong.
Prior to the debate, the Conservatives were something this was going to be "it" for Kerry if he lost the debate.  Now they're predicting something else will be "it" for Kerry, like the next debate, the one they said wouldn't matter after Kerry got trounced in this one.  Apparently, it still matters because they're waiting for Kerry to get trounced.

Overall, I thought the "debate" was not quite as dull as I thought it was going to be.  It took 75 minutes for me to nod off for a second.  Information-wise, the debate was a thin soup.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/30/04 at 11:22 pm

And the left has spoken.....so far ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/04 at 6:15 am

I watched the whole thing, without nodding off. I got on the phone to 3 friends to ask them how
they felt about it and they felt as I did.  bushie was weaker than expected, Kerry was stronger
than expected.  It looks like the polls of undecided voters felt the same way.  We must all agree that people who have already decided are pretty much hard on their opinion of who is best.  It is the undecided
who are being played to, Kerry played the better game this time, and I think that the next debate
will be watched with more interest than was previously expected.

Written By: Hairspray on 10/01/04 at 7:18 am

I agree with the majority, as most polls show (feel free to peruse the net for verification), that the debate was very good for Kerry.

ABC Poll:

45% felt Kerry won the debate.

36% felt Bush won.

17% felt it was a draw/tie.

From what I observed, I noticed Bush making faces during the cut-away camera shots which the networks aired anyway even though it was against their rules. I didn't notice Kerry having that problem.

I watched the debate objectively. I believe Bush seemed like a school kid in his reactionary statements; defensive, simply repetitive of the same few points sometimes entirely side-stepping Kerry's direct accusations.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next debates...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/04 at 10:00 am

It reminded me of the Quayle-Bentsen debate in 1988.
;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/04 at 10:26 am

We watched it on C-Span which had a slipt-screen so you can see both all the time. As Bush was talking, Kerry was writing. When Kerry was talking, Bush was making grimices, smirks, etc. He seemed to be slouching over the microphone. He was also drinking a lot of (I'm assuming) water. I noticed two glasses drained but one caller noticed three. Any significance? Who knows. But, Bush was stuck for words many, many times. He seemed to repeat himself a lot too. He also sidestep a few of the questions. Kerry, to me, seemed the stronger debator. The one point that really cracked me up, Bush was going to say something a bin Laden being a threat and he said, Suddam Hussian instead. Freudian slip?

After it aired, C-Span took calls so people can state their views (something I like about C-Span). I have come to the conclusion that Bush could have picked his nose, made all sorts or bodily noises and people would STILL think he did the better job. Of course, the same could be said about the Kerry side too. One thing that couple of callers said that I agree with, the questions were on the soft side. I think they could have been tougher questions.

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 10:28 am

Yeah Bush blew it.  But did he blow it big enough?  No.  We already have Maxwell telling people ''not to get cocky'' as if Kerry is now far ahead or something.  Mind you only 8% of Americans were undecided before this debate,  and a Fox News Opinions poll they showed on Fox and Friends first edition this morning showed that 75% of undecideds were still undecided.  Now then the 25% that did go for one candidate or another did not all go for Kerry, but most did though.  Now think what 25% of 8%?  Lets say it all goes to Kerry, will it make a big shift?  How many people changed there minds for Kerry, but lived in states where it doesn't really matter?  Overall Bush's lead was anywhere between 3 (Zogby) and 8 (Gallup, CBS) points before this debate, and be honest do you think Kerry really gained a full three percentage points?  No.  I do think Kerry has picked up some ground, and I think Bush's lead is now smaller, BUT I would bet real money Bush is still edging Kerry in the national and state (battleground/swing states) polls.

--Again Bush lost, in my opinion.  Not by much, but enough to make 9% more people think he did in the ABC poll.  I'm worried Kerry is just a better debater, because he certainly had no real plan (still) last night.  If Bush can't beat Kerry in these debates, then all I can do is hope there is an Octobet surprise.  

My real ''cockyness'' is in the vice-presidential debates.  I think Cheney will run all over Edwards, but then again...who cares about the VEEPS?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/04 at 10:41 am

Yeah Bush blew it.  But did he blow it big enough?  No.  We already have Maxwell telling people ''not to get cocky'' as if Kerry is not far ahead or something.  Mind you only 8% of Americans were undecided before this debate,  and a Fox News Opinions poll they showed on Fox and Friends first edition this morning showed that 75% of undecideds were still undecided.  Now then the 25% that did go for one candidate or another did not all go for Kerry, but most did though.  Now think what 25% of 8%?  Lets say it all goes to Kerry, will it make a big shift?  How many people changed there minds for Kerry, but lived in states where it doesn't really matter?  Overall Bush's lead was anywhere between 3 (Zogby) and 8 (Gallup, CBS) points before this debate, and be honest do you think Kerry really gained a full three percentage points?  No.  I do think Kerry has picked up some ground, and I think Bush's lead is now smaller, BUT I would bet real money Bush is still edging Kerry in the national and state (battleground/swing states) polls.

--Again Bush lost, in my opinion.  Not by much, but enough to make 9% more people think he did in the ABC poll.  I'm worried Kerry is just a better debater, because he certainly had no real plan (still) last night.  If Bush can't beat Kerry in these debates, then all I can do is hope there is an Octobet surprise.  

My real ''cockyness'' is in the vice-presidential debates.  I think Cheney will run all over Edwards, but then again...who cares about the VEEPS?

After last night, I'm not so worried about Kerry blowing it as I am about a scorned Karl Rove gearing up the hate machine for the biggest smear campaign ever.  I'm worried about further disenfranchisement of minorities and other electoral shenannigans. 
All that happened last night was Bush looked like the man he is, a right-wing sock puppet with no real grasp on his own administration. 
That doesn't mean people will not want to vote for him.  When the game is "us against them," people swell with pride and arrogance.  To admit Bush's presidency is a catastrophe would mean eating crow, that's the last thing anyone wants to do!

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/01/04 at 11:17 am

Bush just didn't appear to be suited for something where he has to respond quickly.  Both made small miscues in their statements, and that's not unusual. On several rebuttals which were the only things that couldn't be rehearsed in advance, Bush looked like a deer in headlights trying to respond.  How useful it is to respond quickly in conversation it is to the presidency I don't know, but I do know it makes him look bad. 

As for the points each made, I think Kerry helped to clarify his stance on the war, though I saw Guillani trying to claim afterwards that he didn't clarify his position at all.  I guess some of us were watching a different debate. 

It's interesting to note that most people think Bush came off better than expected, like everyone expected him to sound completely awful.  He's done these before, and while he's certainly not a great public speaker, the news shouldn't be holding him to a lower standard than they do Kerry on this.

Kerry came out slightly ahead on this, there's no clear winner after this.  Unless something totally unexpected happens at one of these debates, I doubt the debates are going to do much one way or the other for the undecided voters or the tightness of the race.  Bush might be showing up ahead in the polls, but anything less than 10% can evaporate quickly on election day. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 12:28 pm

I agree with the majority, as most polls show (feel free to peruse the net for verification), that the debate was very good for Kerry.

ABC Poll:

45% felt Kerry won the debate.

36% felt Bush won.

17% felt it was a draw/tie.

I knew it!  I looked up this poll and what I said was correct.  According to the data shown, Kerry beat Bush in the debates by 9 points in the polls.  That is correct.  But what isn't mentioned?  That when they did that poll last night, they also did a head-to-head poll (meaning Nader was not included) and Bush's lead remains the same!  Bush had 50% and Kerry 46%, then last night came, the debates, they did that poll and what is it now?  Bush has 51% and Kerry 47%, they each went up 1 point but Bush has the exact same lead in the poll despite more people thinking Kerry won.  How did I know?  I've been around to long and into politics way to much, I knew this would shift no one, the debates almost always mean jack.  All I can say to the liberals is: HAHAHAHAHAHA (yeah real mature, I know.)

Also according to the biggest newspaper in Pennsylvania Bush won.  The largest paper in Las Vegas said Bush won, even going so far to say: ''People who say Kerry won are dead wrong.''  And finally, the liberal newspaper The Washington Post has also said Bush won.  Maybe its not so cut and dry after all?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/04 at 12:33 pm

Maybe they are saying he won not b/c of the debate, but b/c others will vote for him out of fear and ignorance.

Tanya

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/01/04 at 12:34 pm

Finally one more note, both sides are already making campaign television commercials.  Why is that such a big deal?  The democrats' commericial does nothing but make fun of Bush's facial expressions during the debate, like his sour face, and his mad face.  The republicans, on the other hand, are making commericials showing all of Kerry's lie, and all of Bush's substance.  To democrats it is about style, to republicans information.

Kerry's lie: ''During the RNC New York had to close down all the tunnels and Subways.''

Not true.

And thats one of more then 20 lies told by John ''lack of substance'' Kerry.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/01/04 at 12:57 pm

You forgot about Poland

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/04 at 3:48 pm

Finally one more note, both sides are already making campaign television commercials.  Why is that such a big deal?  The democrats' commericial does nothing but make fun of Bush's facial expressions during the debate, like his sour face, and his mad face.  The republicans, on the other hand, are making commericials showing all of Kerry's lie, and all of Bush's substance.  To democrats it is about style, to republicans information.

Kerry's lie: ''During the RNC New York had to close down all the tunnels and Subways.''

Not true.

And thats one of more then 20 lies told by John ''lack of substance'' Kerry.

You'd figure the Dems would at least have the sense to point out Bush saying there are 10 million people registered to vote in Afghanistan when only 9.8 million people are even eligable to vote!  That's just one example.
What are the names of the Pennsylvania and Las Vegas papers to which you referred?

It is clear to me that Bush bombed on both substance and style, but I'm not ready to attribute great significance to the debate.
We are still facing the same electoral dangers this afternoon as we were this afternoon.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/04 at 4:00 pm

Yeah, Bush clearly blew it, and Kerry clearly won.  What difference it will make is hard to tell.  One can only hope...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 9:26 pm

THIS guy is a freakin' MORON:

Yaroslav Hetman, 19:

I think if you look at it from a student’s perspective and intelligent

people, that John Kerry won. If you look at it from the standpoint of the average citizen who is not as informed, President Bush won.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/01/04 at 9:28 pm

I like what THIS person had to say:

Naomi Zeveloff, 20:

I suppose the

most significant moment was the point that Kerry made that the fact that we went into Iraq is aggravating the terrorist situation in the

Middle East. When he laid out the many different things that the president said or did leading up to Iraq that turned out to be completely false.

Written By: saver on 10/04/04 at 4:24 pm

Sorry to see Bush wasn't in the game as much as he 'could've/should've' been...

2 BIG KERRY LAUGHS: 1. How he brought up past president Kennedy as who he tried to be like..Kennedy wouldn't stand for talking it out and 2. Referencing Bush sr. book when he was against what it was about when it came to the Persian Gulf war!

Read the passionate Kerry speech 2 months before the war Saddam has to be dealt with ...blah blah...

A good thing that I wonder if anyone caught while we're knit picking...Kerry stated 'We will kill the terrorists!'.....hmmm, what about all the compassionates out there who still protest: 'First we must humanely send them through the legal system to decide!'??? ala Mr. Saddman
Will Kerry kill him? Or support the legal court system?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/04 at 4:29 pm

THIS guy is a freakin' MORON:

Yaroslav Hetman, 19:

I think if you look at it from a student’s perspective and intelligent

people, that John Kerry won. If you look at it from the standpoint of the average citizen who is not as informed, President Bush won.

Ahhh, but it's the wisdom of the fool, isn't it?

Check for new replies or respond here...