» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Republican Sell Out of America

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/04 at 8:00 am

When the Technology company Accenture moved it headquarters to Bermuda to avoid paying hundreds of millions of US tax dollars the House Appropriationns Committee, in an almost unpresendented bipartisan move, voted to strip it of its 10 billion dollar Homeland Security contract, but, the Republican controlled Rules Committee, Trent Lott chairman, prevented the measure from reaching the House floor.  The Rules Committee allowed the House to vote on a ban on further contract to overseas companies, but let Accenture keep its 10 billion.  Accenture payed 2 million lobbying the Rules Committee last year.  >:(

Subject: Re: Republican Sell Out of America

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/04/04 at 1:58 pm

The only Dem I have heard address this issue is Howard Dean.  Bernie Sanders (an independant) has been harping on it for years, and may he continue to do so.  In fact, our gov't provides incentive for companies to go "off shore", and CEOs of major corporations have asserted that they own no loyalty to the US.  Nothing new there. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/04 at 4:41 pm

If we don't have a major overhaul of campaign finance laws, the status quo will continue to eat away at America's health and security.  What's the status quo?
Status quo is the corporations pushing the government around NOT the government pushing corporations around. 
The chemical industry lobbyists pressure Congress out of implementing plant security measures, leaving chemical company campuses open to terrorist attack. 

Both the legislative and executive branches were pushing for better airline security measures after the explosion of TWA flight 800.  The airline industry pressured them out of it.  Had the government been able to implement those security measure, we could have prevented 9/11. 
What is the pressure point corporation squeeze on politicians?  CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS!

It's not just Republicans that sell out American, it is any major league politician who hopes to get re-elected!

Maine and Arizona have implemented strong "clean election" laws.  I hope the rest of the country follows suit.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/04 at 6:08 am

It's not just Republicans that sell out American, it is any major league politician who hopes to get re-elected!

Maine and Arizona have implemented strong "clean election" laws.  I hope the rest of the country follows suit.

Well, I quess it would not be wise for you and I to hold our breaths on this one. ::)

Written By: philbo on 10/05/04 at 10:17 am

Given that Accenture used to be called Andersen Consulting, does this mean this parody's topical again? ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 10:42 am

Well, I quess it would not be wise for you and I to hold our breaths on this one. ::)

That's right.  Massachusetts gave thumbs down to clean elections.  We prefer dirty elections!
:P

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/05/04 at 4:38 pm

When he left office in 1960, Dwight Eisenhower, a good Rpub and war hero, warned us, in his fairwell address, of the danger of the influence of the military/industrial complex.  How insightful.  How deaf we were.  Now we are paying the price.  We do need to "Take Back America" for the average middle, working class and poor citizen.  To do so we need to discard the hegemonic ideology of the dominant class and develop an ideology based on OUR interests.  Read Antonio Gramsci.

Check for new replies or respond here...