» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A political rant

Written By: philbo on 10/05/04 at 10:22 am

Or should that be an "apolitical rant"?

Whatever... this parody was inspired by the inspirational standard of debating shown, especially by one side (who'd best remain nameless, though I think you might guess where I'm coming from)

When You're Trying To Fight (the Election Song) (to 'When You're Lying Awake (the Nightmare Song)' by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Please have a look and read through, even if you don't know the original: you should be able to read the scansion without too much trouble...

Subject: Re: A political rant

Written By: Jessica on 10/05/04 at 11:50 am

I left you a comment and a vote. :)

Written By: philbo on 10/05/04 at 2:29 pm

Thanks, Jessica

Written By: Paul on 10/05/04 at 2:42 pm

Frighteningly accurate, philbo...and just as sharp as ever...

Forgive me if I appear to be on the wrong lines, but have you considered trying to gain a wider audience for your efforts at all? (Radio used to be a huge stomping ground for this sort of thing years ago...)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/05/04 at 2:49 pm

Sad but all to true - I appreciate the wit, but its to true to be funny  ;)

Written By: philbo on 10/05/04 at 4:28 pm

Sad but all to true - I appreciate the wit, but its to true to be funny ;)

In this song the humour's all in the rhymes and wordplay to try and lighten what is really quite an intense rant  Say, DC, did you spot your "plot sickens"?

Frighteningly accurate, philbo...and just as sharp as ever...

Forgive me if I appear to be on the wrong lines, but have you considered trying to gain a wider audience for your efforts at all? (Radio used to be a huge stomping ground for this sort of thing years ago...)

Thank you - I've sent the occasional song through to Bremner, Bird and Fortune (who always have a song, often a parody, at the end of the programme), but haven't even got back any confirmation of receipt so I'm not sure they've even seen 'em.  I have good intentions for recording this sort of stuff, but don't have the time - life's a bit too busy at the moment.

Check for new replies or respond here...