» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: OMFG, Cheney is KILLING Edwards right now.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/05/04 at 8:30 pm

Quick turn on your television/radio and listen to the fall of Edwards.  Cheney is bring out the BIG stick, it is clear this won't be a Bush-Kerry debate repeat.

Subject: Re: OMFG, Cheney is KILLING Edwards right now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 8:33 pm

Via lies and distortion.  Cheney has no conscience.  You're looking at a sociopath with a bad heart.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/05/04 at 8:43 pm

I second that, Maxwell!

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 8:47 pm

Yeah, but Cheney's doing a job on Edwards on his attendance record.  Edward's smashed Cheney on all the nasty votes on his record, but was unable to refute the attack on his attendance.
:(

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/05/04 at 8:49 pm

Cheney is pulling out the zingers as well:

Cheney: which you probably weren't there to vote for knowing your senate voting record.

Cheney: in fact, your own hometown newspaper started calling you ''Senator Gone.''

I LOVE THIS, I LOVE IT!  KEEP IT UP CHENEY!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 8:54 pm

Zingers, sure, substance, nooooo!!!  Did you hear him trying to defend the Administration's domestic record?  What a joke!

I know what I think, but the pundits will not agree.  I predict right now they're going to eviscerate Edwards' performance!
:o

Written By: Davester on 10/05/04 at 9:40 pm

Oh, for the luvva ... at any rate, Edwards needed to bite a little harder...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 9:42 pm

Eh, why deny it?  Cheney whupped Edwards' @ss.

Written By: McDonald on 10/05/04 at 9:46 pm

OMFG, The debate just ended and I have never been so confident that Kerry-Edwards is the right way to go. Edwards did a fabulous job. He cornered Cheney several times to where Cheney couldn't deny his faults. I didn't expect him to do such a good job. Cheney got a couple of good blows, but that didn't overshadow the fact that he, himself, blows. I had no idea that Cheney voted against a holiday for MLK jr. That was appauling and despicible to me. Wow. He didn't allow Cheney to use that flip-flop crap, because as soon as he pulled out that card, Edwards hit him hard with Bush-Cheney's own flip-flopping. There are so many things about this debate I am proud of I can't even list them all efficiently enough. Edwards did it all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/04 at 10:05 pm

OMFG, The debate just ended and I have never been so confident that Kerry-Edwards is the right way to go. Edwards did a fabulous job. He cornered Cheney several times to where Cheney couldn't deny his faults. I didn't expect him to do such a good job. Cheney got a couple of good blows, but that didn't overshadow the fact that he, himself, blows. I had no idea that Cheney voted against a holiday for MLK jr. That was appauling and despicible to me. Wow. He didn't allow Cheney to use that flip-flop crap, because as soon as he pulled out that card, Edwards hit him hard with Bush-Cheney's own flip-flopping. There are so many things about this debate I am proud of I can't even list them all efficiently enough. Edwards did it all.

I agree with you Mickey-D, but the big guys on the tube don't.  They count, we don't. They're all hoping this a harbinger of what's to come on Friday.  I bet all those pundits wish Cheney could sub for Bush next time around!

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 5:45 am

Interestingly enough, the major news agencys are pretty much split down the middle.. i forget who said what exactly  :-[ but i get the Kerry newsletter and they had links to pretty much all the major ones and it was basically a 50/50 split

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/04 at 5:56 am

Once again you blindly overstate

Written By: McDonald on 10/06/04 at 9:17 am

The CNN and MSNBC net polls both favoured Edwards, but they weren't scientific. ABC's poll favoured Cheney, and was scientific, but admittedly, 80% of their sample audience were republican. CBS news did a scientific poll of 154 non-committed voters which favoured Edwards.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 9:21 am

Thanks for that...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/06/04 at 9:54 am

Eh, why deny it?  Cheney whupped Edwards' @ss.

Well I agree but to an extent.  Cheney won, anyone with some real honesty in themselves knows it, the REAL polls show it as well.  Fox News's online poll was cheated on or something (though it was favoring Cheney), after only 10 minutes of being posted it had over 156,000 votes?  I don't think so.  Same with MSNBC.  Both parties sent out newsletters telling people to go and spam online polls.

Cheney won terror/Iraq hands-down.  He was killing Edwards at that point.  Edwards got the health care thing good.  Either way I give this slightly to Cheney, but it was not by any means a slam dunk. 

I just hope this shuts the democrats up (who have been doing nothing but harping over Kerry's win in the first debate) until Friday.

Bush/Cheney- 1
Kerry/Edwards- 1

Two debates remain.

Written By: philbo on 10/06/04 at 10:21 am

Fox News's online poll was cheated on or something (though it was favoring Cheney), after only 10 minutes of being posted it had over 156,000 votes? I don't think so. Same with MSNBC. Both parties sent out newsletters telling people to go and spam online polls.

The main problem with all on-line polls is self-selection: it's impossible to balance your poll and get a true sample from it.  And 156k votes in 10 minutes (that's 260 per second!) does rather imply a concerted effort by the party faithful (if you see what I mean)

The coverage I've heard on the BBC up til now does make me prefer the Republican ticket in one area: sense of humour ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/04 at 10:35 am

The main problem with all on-line polls is self-selection: it's impossible to balance your poll and get a true sample from it.  And 156k votes in 10 minutes (that's 260 per second!) does rather imply a concerted effort by the party faithful (if you see what I mean)

The coverage I've heard on the BBC up til now does make me prefer the Republican ticket in one area: sense of humour ;)

online polls are worse than useless.  If you know how to spoof your IP address and how to write a script to vote for you, you can register thousands of votes a second.  All online votes show, is who can the hacker likes best.

Most of the news articles give it a split decision.  I wonder if the neocons wish Cheney was facing Kerry instead of their mumbling stumbling guy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 11:06 am

I should clarify:  Cheney whupped Edwards' @ss if  LYING is a legit debating tactic.
OK, maybe Cheney was telling the truth when he declared he'd never met Edwards.  As Senate president, Cheney swore in Edwards, but that's not the same as meeting him, is it?  Oh, and here he is a the Continental Prayer Breakfast, standing shoulder to shoulder to Edwards, but that doesn't mean he met him.  I stand right next to people on public transport all the time, but I don't meet them....
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/uploads/cheney-edwards.jpg

Anyway,  here's a link to a good article in the Toronto Star about the debate and the lies of D-i-c-k Cheney.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1097013684100&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Written By: Davester on 10/06/04 at 11:22 am

I fell fast asleep on the couch right after the debate. Dog Bliss America. Now that I've slept on it, I think the Cheney-Edwards debate was a very healthy thing for the USA...

Edwards spoke dramatically more clearly than Kerry, while dutifully backing him up. Cheney barely concealed his venomous self, and managed to preserve his commanding lead in his party, as promoter of false assumptions and fabrications: Like Iraq as a breeding ground for terror, justifying invasion (never mind the chronology, folks); Like an economy that is on the right track (never mind the debts and outsourcing).

Form followed function for both men. The slick middle-American lawyer, and the stodgy American-Kremlin schemer. So far as "winning" the debate by better making his case, and as regardless as possible of ideology, I give Edwards the edge, by nature and by training.

In any case, it doesn't matter who won. People don't vote for VPs and I doubt that yesterday's debate will make any significant impact on undecided voters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 11:30 am

Still the media titans have spoken.  Right-wing lickspittles such as Tim Russert can't bear to see the Republican candidacy lose two in a row.  So they'll keep saying Cheney won.  Cheney certainly played it like he won.  One quality sociopaths display in spades is self-confidence.

If John Kerry is Herman Munster, D-i-c-k Cheney is Uncle Fester Addams!
:P

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 11:35 am

http://www.internetweekly.org/images/uncle_fester_cheney.jpg

It's true, the internet dosen't lie

Written By: philbo on 10/06/04 at 12:00 pm

It's true, the internet dosen't lie

:guffaw :D:D:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/04 at 12:05 pm

I don't think the debate was WON by either one of them. They both got in their zings to each other. However, like Max has pointed out, Cheney did not exactly speaketh the truth. One of his bold-faced lies is right here.

CHENEY: The senator has got his facts wrong. I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11, but there's clearly an established Iraqi track record with terror.

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2004b.html

(Transcripts if anyone is interested.)

But, here is an acticle conterdicting that statement.

http://iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1094787903948B251

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/06/04 at 2:01 pm

I'd call the debate a draw.  Both got in some good punches, but no knockouts.  I think Edwards came closest with the Halliburton - Enron stuff, and the listing of Chuuney's house votes.  Although I guess most people didn't get this one, Chuuney also demonstrated his hypocracy re gay marriage.  And, I think Edwards scored points with his "kind words" re Chuuney's family.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/06/04 at 2:38 pm

Fact Sheet: John Edwards' At Least 14 Inaccurate Statements Last Night as told by www.georgewbush.com:

1.  Edwards Repeated Kerry's False Claim That $200 Billion Has Been Spent In Iraq When In Fact "The Cost Of The War To Date Has Been Slightly More Than $120 Billion."  (Janet Hook, "Rivals' Bold Assertions Are Debatable," Los Angeles Times, 10/6/04)

2.  FactCheck.Org:  "Edwards Falsely Claimed The Administration 'Lobbied The Congress' To Cut The Combat Pay Of Troops In Iraq, Something The White House Never Supported."  ("Cheney & Edwards Mangle Facts," FactCheck.org, 10/6/04, Available At http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272, Accessed 10/6/04)

3.  Edwards' False Assertion That The Administration "Sent 40,000 American Troops Into Iraq Without The Body Armor They Needed" Has Been Refuted By Vice Chairman Of The Joint Chiefs Of Staff Gen. Peter Pace Who Said "Every Soldier And Marine On The Ground Had Body Armor."  (Calvin Woodward, "Cheney, Edwards Stretch Findings, Facts," The Associated Press, 10/6/04)

4.  According To The Associated Press, Edwards' Attacks On Halliburton Contracts In Iraq Not Accurate Because "Congressional Auditors Recently Concluded U.S. Officials Met Legal Guidelines In Awarding" No-Bid Contracts.  (Calvin Woodward, "Cheney, Edwards Stretch Findings, Facts," The Associated Press, 10/6/04)

5.  According To The Washington Post, Edwards' Claim That Millionaires Pay A Lower Tax Rate Than The Men And Women Serving In Iraq Is False.  "Edwards asserted that 'millionaires sitting by their swimming pool … pay a lower tax rate than the men and women who are receiving paychecks for serving' in Iraq. President Bush last year cut the tax rate on dividends to 15 percent, whereas most soldiers would be in a 15 percent tax bracket -- and pay an effective rate much less after taking deductions for children and mortgages."  (Glenn Kessler And Jim VandeHei, "Misleading Assertions Cover Iraq War And Voting Records," The Washington Post, 10/6/04)

6.  According To The Associated Press, Edwards Falsely Claimed There Was No Connection Between Iraq And Al Qaeda, When A Recent Senate Intelligence Committee Report Concluded "That The CIA Was Reasonable In Thinking There Were Probably Several Contacts" Between The Two.  (Calvin Woodward, "Cheney, Edwards Stretch Findings, Facts," The Associated Press, 10/6/04)

7.  Edwards Falsely Claimed That The U.S. Has Absorbed 90 Percent Of The Casualties In Iraq, When In Fact The Wall Street Journal Puts U.S. Casualties Closer To 50 Percent When You Include Iraqis Helping To Secure Their Own Country. "Our uniformed Iraqi allies, however, have already suffered at least 750 combat deaths. And that doesn't include the recruits who've been killed by car bombs as they've waited to enlist in the police or new Iraq army. Even using, er, liberal math, this would put U.S. killed-in-action at about 50% of the total."  (Sen. John Edwards, Vice Presidential Debate, Cleveland, OH, 10/5/04; Editorial, "Our Kerry Iraq Guide," The Wall Street Journal, 9/30/04)

8.  FactCheck.Org:  " Implied That Cheney Was In Charge Of When It Did Business With Libya In Violation Of US Sanctions, But That Happened Long Before Cheney Joined The Company."  ("Cheney & Edwards Mangle Facts," FactCheck.org, 10/6/04, Available At http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272, Accessed 10/6/04)

9.  FactCheck.Org: Edwards' Claim That No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Funding Is "$27 Billion Short" Is Wrong When "In Fact, Overall Federal Funding For Education Grew 58% In Bush's First Three Years."  ("Cheney & Edwards Mangle Facts," FactCheck.org, 10/6/04, Available At http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272, Accessed 10/6/04)

10.  Despite Edwards' Assertion, President Bush "Simply Endorsed" An Amendment That Had Already Been Introduced On Capitol Hill, He Did Not Propose A Constitutional Amendment On Gay Marriage.  (Glenn Kessler And Jim Vandehei, "Misleading Assertions Cover Iraq War And Voting Records," The Washington Post, 10/6/04)

11.  According To The Washington Post, Edwards "Misleadingly Charged That The Bush Administration Is 'For Outsourcing Of Jobs.'"  (Glenn Kessler And Jim VandeHei, "Misleading Assertions Cover Iraq War And Voting Records," The Washington Post, 10/6/04)

12.  Edwards Inaccurately Claimed Kerry Voted Or Cosponsored 600 Tax Cuts.  The reality is, since joining the Senate in 1985, only 5 of Kerry's own bills have become law, and none were tax bills.  Tax bills Kerry has voted for include votes for Democrat alternative "tax cuts" like a 2001 vote that provided $747 billion less in tax relief.  The fact is Kerry voted for higher taxes 350 times, including 98 times for tax increases totaling more than $2.3 trillion and at least 126 times against tax cuts totaling more than $5.3 trillion.  (Sen. John Edwards, Vice Presidential Debate, Cleveland, OH, 10/5/04; H.R. 1836, CQ Vote #119: Rejected 35-64: R 0-49; D 35-15, 5/21/01, Kerry Voted Yea; Senate Republican Policy Committee, "Tax Relief Act/Deny All Tax Relief Except For A 10-Percent Bracket," 5/21/01)

13.  FactCheck.Org:  Edwards' Job Figures "Omit The Growth In Employment By Federal, State And Local Governments.  The Net Loss In Total Employment Is Actually 913,000 As Of August, The Most Recent Figures Available."  ("Cheney & Edwards Mangle Facts," FactCheck.org, 10/6/04, Available At http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272, Accessed 10/6/04)

14.  Edwards Repeated Kerry's Exaggerated And False Claim Of Saying "We Had Osama Bin Laden Cornered At Tora Bora," When FactCheck.org Already Said Kerry "Overstates The Case."  (Sen. John Edwards, Vice Presidential Debate, Cleveland, OH, 10/5/04; "Distortions And Misstatements At First Presidential Debate," FactCheck.org, 10/1/04, http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=271, Accessed 10/1/04)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/06/04 at 3:26 pm

Now, after posting Edwards' inaccuracies, why not post all the of Chuuney's?  There were many.  And while you're at it, how about his evasions?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/04 at 3:54 pm

since you know who would never do that... here we go.

Top Ten Cheney Lies of the Vice Presidential Debate

LIE # 1: I Have Never Met Edwards Before

"Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight."

FACT: Cheney Had Met Edwards on At Least Three Prior Occasions

"On Feb. 1, 2001, the vice president thanked Edwards by name at a Senate prayer breakfast and sat beside him during the event."

"On April 8, 2001, Cheney and Edwards shook hands when they met off-camera during a taping of NBC's ‘Meet the Press,' moderator Tim Russert said Wednesday on ‘Today.'"

"On Jan. 8, 2003, the two met when the first-term North Carolina senator accompanied Elizabeth Dole to her swearing-in by Cheney as a North Carolina senator."

LIE # 2: Cheney Claimed He Had Never Linked Iraq and 9/11

"I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11."

Bush Made The Same Argument in the First Presidential Debate. "Q: Does the Iraq experience make it more likely or less likely that you would take the United States in to another preemptive military action? BUSH: I would hope I never have to. I understand how hard it is to commit troops. Never wanted to commit troops. When I was running — when we had the debate in 2000, never dreamt I'd be doing that. But the enemy attacked us, Jim, and I have a solemn duty to protect the American people, to do everything I can to protect us."

FACT: Cheney Has Repeatedly Made This Claim

Question: "The Washington Post asked the American people about Saddam Hussein, and this is what they said: 69 percent said he was involved in the September 11 attacks. Are you surprised by that?"

Cheney: No. I think it's not surprising that people make that connection."

Cheney: "If we're successful in Iraq, if we can stand up a good representative government in Iraq, that secures the region so that it never again becomes a threat to its neighbors or to the United States, so it's not pursuing weapons of mass destruction, so that it's not a safe haven for terrorists, now we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

LIE # 3: The Khan Smuggling Network has been Shutdown

"The suppliers network that provided that, headed by Mr. A.Q. Khan, has been shut down."

Bush Made Same Argument in First Presidential Debate. "Libya has disarmed. The A.Q. Khan network has been brought to justice."

FACT: Recent Arrests Show the Network May Be Still Active

Arrests of South African and Germans Show A.Q. Khan Network May Still Be Active. A South African man arrested Thursday is suspected of playing a major role in the nuclear black market that supplied Libya, according to American and foreign officials. According to investigators, who could discuss the matter only on the condition of anonymity, Meyer was doing business with two German businessmen who are also being investigated for their ties to South Africa, Libya and the Khan network. German authorities announced that they had arrested a man suspected of selling high-tech equipment on the nuclear black market, the third German businessman named as a suspect in the past month in an investigation into the trade in several countries. The arrests and charges are part of a global investigation, spearheaded by the International Atomic Energy Agency, that extends to about 20 countries. The probe's focus is a nuclear technology network run by Pakistan's top atomic scientist, Abdul Qadeer Khan.

LIE # 4: Bush's War in Iraq Convinced Libya to Disarm

"One of the great by-products, for example, of what we did in Iraq and Afghanistan is that five days after we captured Saddam Hussein, Moammar Gadhafi in Libya came forward and announced that he was going to surrender all of his nuclear materials to the United States, which he has done."

Bush Repeated The Same Line in First Presidential Debate. "We convinced Libya to disarm."

FACT: Libya Was Already Moving to Disarm Before Iraq War

Libya's Decision To Disarm Preceded The Bush Administration And War In Iraq. According to Tony Blair, Libya first approached the US and Britain regarding its weapons question as the Iraq war approached. Blair said, "Libya came to us in March following successful negotiations on Lockerbie to see if it could resolve its weapons of mass destruction issue in a similarly cooperative manner." The son of Libyan leader Moammar Qaddafi dismissed any link in his father's decision to the war in Iraq or the capture of the former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. Saif Al-Islam Gadhafi told CNN that "the capture of Saddam or the invasion of Iraq is irrelevant" to Libya's announcement. Joseph Cirincione of the Carnegie Endowment believes that Libya's decision "goes back over 10 years of international pressure on the Qaddafi regime… whole move precedes the Bush administration and precedes the war in Iraq."

LIE # 5: Cheney Claimed They've Never Let Up on Osama Bin Ladin

"We've never let up on Osama bin Laden from day one."

Failing To Go After A Cornered Bin Laden The " Gravest Error" in the War on Terror. "The Bush administration has concluded that Osama bin Laden was present during the battle for Tora Bora late last year and that failure to commit U.S. ground troops to hunt him was its gravest error in the war against al Qaeda, according to civilian and military officials with first-hand knowledge."

BUSH: "And just – he 's a person who has now been marginalized. His network is — his host government has been destroyed. He's the ultimate parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match…So I don't know where he is. Nor — you know, I just don't spend that much time on him really, to be honest with you. I…I truly am not that concerned about him."

LIE # 6: 10 Million Voters are Registered in Afghanistan

" we've got 10 million voters who have registered to vote, nearly half of them women."

Bush Repeated The Same Line in First Presidential Debate. "And the Taliban, no longer in power; 10 million people have registered to vote in Afghanistan in the upcoming presidential election."

FACT: Human Rights Watch Found Registration Numbers Exaggerated

Bush and Cheney Exaggerate the Number of Registered Voters. "Human Rights Watch this week said that figure was inaccurate because of the multiple registrations of many voters. In a lengthy report, the respected organization also documented how human rights abuses are fueling a pervasive atmosphere of repression and fear in many parts of the country, with voters in those areas having little faith in the secrecy of the balloting and often facing threats and bribes from militia factions."

LIE # 7: Kerry Voted for Higher Taxes 98 Times

"Gwen, the Kerry record on taxes is one basically of voting for a large number of tax increases — 98 times in the United States Senate."

FACT: 98 Times Figure Has Been Repeatedly Debunked

"Mr. Cheney said that Mr. Kerry had voted 98 times to raise taxes. No question, he cast votes for higher taxes. But the number Mr. Cheney cited included multiple votes on the same legislation. Mr. Edwards said Mr. Kerry had voted against the overall legislation to cut taxes because the benefits went largely to the wealthy."

"Cheney claimed Kerry had voted 98 times to raise taxes. As we've pointed outbefore, that's an inflated figure that counts multiple votes on the same tax bills, and also counts votes on budget measures that only set tax targets but don't actually bring about tax increases by themselves."

LIE # 8: Kerry Wants to Raise Taxes on Small Businesses

"A great many of our small businesses pay taxes under the personal income taxes rather than the corporate, and about 900,000 small businesses will be hit if you do in fact do what they want to do at the top bracket. That's not smart because 7 out of 10 new jobs in America are created by small businesses. You do not want to tax them. Bad idea to increase the burden on those folks."

FACT: That Claim Has Been Roundly Debunked By the Press

"Cheney made a puffed-up claimthat ‘900,000 small businesses will be hit'should Kerry and Edwards raise taxes on individuals making more than $200,000 a year, as they promise to do. As we'veexplainedbefore, 900,000 isan inflated figure that results from counting every high-income individual who reports even $1 of business income as a "small business owner." Even Cheney and his wife Lynne would qualify as a "small business owner" under that definition because Mrs. Cheney reports income as a "consultant" from fees she collects as a corporate board member, even though she had no employees and the business income is only 3.5% of the total income reported on their 2003 tax returns."

"Cheney said Kerry's tax-cut rollback would hit 900,000 small businesses. This is misleading. Under Cheney's definition, a small business is any taxpayer who includes some income from a small business investment, partnership, limited liability corporation or trust. By that definition, every partner at a huge accounting firm or at the largest law firm would represent small businesses. According to IRS data, a tiny fraction of small business ‘S-corporations' earn enough profits to be in the top two tax brackets. Most are in the bottom two brackets."

"Mr. Cheney said that 900,000 small businesses would be affected by the Kerry proposal to raise taxes on individuals with incomes of more than $200,000. The Tax Policy Center found that only about 5 percent of small businesses would be affected by the Kerry plan and that much of the income of the business operators who would be affected came from sources other than their businesses."

LIE # 9: Kerry-Edwards Flip-Flopped on No Child Left Behind (NCLB)

"Gwen, No Child Left Behind, they were for it; now they're against it. They voted for it; now they're opposed to it."

FACT: Kerry-Edwards Want to Properly Fund, Not Abandon, NCLB

"Cheney charged that Kerry and Edwards oppose the No Child Left Behind education law, which imposes new accountability standards on public schools. Both senators voted for the law and support some modifications and billions of dollars to fully fund the education program."

Bush Broke Promise to Fully Fund No Child Left Behind By $27 Billion. Bush's last four budgets have cumulatively provided $27 billion less than what was pledged under NCLB. While President Bush touts what he calls "historic" increases in education funding, the reality is that federal education funding would be $11 billion less than its current level of $55.7 billion for FY 2004 if Congress had enacted Bush's budget requests. If Bush took 11 cents out of every dollar of tax cuts for the top 1 percent of the wealthiest Americans, he could fully fund NCLB.

LIE # 10: Minority Achievement Gap Is Shrinking

"We are making significant progress and closing the achievement gap. The results from studies coming in show without question that on math and science, math and reading that in fact our minority students our Hispanic and African-American state of the unions are doing better in the gap between them and the majority population is in fact closing."

FACT: No Evidence to Support That, Bush Policies Will Expand the Gap

Cheney Exaggerates Evidence of Minority Gains. "There is fragmentary data to support Bush's claim that the additional federal dollars to schools and the new accountability standards have helped minority students improve their test scores relative to white students, but education specialists agree there is not yet enough evidence to declare the act a nationwide success. Besides, the ‘achievement gap' has been getting narrower for roughly the past decade, said Paul Peterson, director of the Program in Education Policy and Governance at Harvard's Kennedy School."

The Bush Administration Loosened Graduation Accountability Standards, Leaving Behind 1 of Every 2 Black High School Students. A study by Harvard University and the Urban Institute revealed that half or more of Black and Hispanic youth in the United States are getting left behind before high school graduation because the Bush administration eliminated graduation accountability standards and their strict emphasis on test scores, which would increase the likelihood that low achieving minority students will continue to be pushed to the margins. According to the study, "The drop-out/push-out problem for minority school children in the US is likely to grow more severe on test based accountability." NCLB originally required states to establish standards of academic accountability for different subgroups; however, the new report reveals that Education Secretary Rodney Paige exempted graduation rates from this requirement.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/04 at 3:59 pm

You'll notice a slight difference in the lists.  Most of the "lies" Edwards is claimed to have made, are proven by articles at factcheck, wheras the lies of Cheney are contradicted by his own statements and AP wire stories.

you'll notice number 12 on the factcheck list, repeats a common lie of 98 votes to increase taxes by Kerry which has been proven to be an inflation of voting for the same omnibus bill multiple times (bills don't always pass the first time).

I haven't had time to disprove the rest of the Edwards "lies".  I'm sure they don't hold up to scurtiny from other independent sources.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 6:32 pm

Chucky, you big Lib, how can you say that?  I mean, Edwards says we've spent $200 billion in Iraq, when we've only spent a mere $120 billion.  HA!  Pocket change!  Oh, well there has been another $54 billion allocated, and the we will reach the $200 billion figure in a matter of months, and I suppose you can speculate further that the tab will keep rising from there...but John Edwards really did tell a fib.

Edwards also said we've lost 1.6 million private sector jobs in the last year.  In fact, we've gained...oops, make that lost...900 thousand private secotr jobs in that period.  OK, so he exaggerated.  Shouldn't do that.

Written By: saver on 10/06/04 at 6:43 pm

Had my feathers ruffled too when they pointed out the errors of Cheney but then when you also have Edwards talking to the people in their small home that he's compassionateand working for while...what? He is in 2 large mansions...OOOOOOI feel your compassion mister megabucks! 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/06/04 at 6:53 pm

Had my feathers ruffled too when they pointed out the errors of Cheney but then when you also have Edwards talking to the people in their small home that he's compassionateand working for while...what? He is in 2 large mansions...OOOOOOI feel your compassion mister megabucks!   

Yes...which of those 2 Americas is Edwards in?  Lets see he has....70 MILLION.  Cheney has...only 18 million?  Edwards has no room to talk.

Edwards lost so bad....the best most democrats like Al Franken can come up with is ''Cheney and Edwards really did meet before last night.''  If thats the best they got, you know Edwards didn't do so hot.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/04 at 7:36 pm

Yes...which of those 2 Americas is Edwards in?  Lets see he has....70 MILLION.  Cheney has...only 18 million?  Edwards has no room to talk.

Edwards lost so bad....the best most democrats like Al Franken can come up with is ''Cheney and Edwards really did meet before last night.''  If thats the best they got, you know Edwards didn't do so hot.

yeah, we all forgot how Bush and Cheney's humble sharecropper backgrounds.  I think Bush used to beg for nickels until he was elected.

there's 9 other talking points there GW.  Of course I have no idea what Franken had to say about, and I doubt you do either, since I don't listen to him and I'm willing to bet you don't as well.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/06/04 at 8:02 pm

there's 9 other talking points there GW.  Of course I have no idea what Franken had to say about, and I doubt you do either, since I don't listen to him and I'm willing to bet you don't as well.

The reason I mentioned it was because that is the main one the democrats are using.  As for Franken, no I don't listen to him.  But I do listen to The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly.  O'Reilly came on a few weeks back and said he had enough of Franken calling him a liar and what have you so now O'Reilly takes clips from Franken's radio show and attacks back.  I heard Franken say it, and maybe someone who listens to Al Franken *coughMaxwellSmartcough* could tell us.

The No Spin Zone with Bill O'Reilly (The Radio Factor)
The Zero Spin Zone with Al Franken (The O'Franken Factor)
-Which came first, and who couldn't come up with an original idea?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/06/04 at 8:17 pm

''This debate last was John Edwards finally finding a client he cannot defend, John Kerry'' -Rush Limbaugh

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 9:23 pm

I told GW if he wants to know what Franken says, he can find out for himself.

The Cheney/Edwards debate isn't going to change many minds.  If you want Democrats to take the White House, you're still going to vote for Kerry.  If you want want Bush to remain President (an office the U.S. Supreme Court stole for him in the first place) you're going to vote for Bush.

What I want to see is a change in the temper of the country.  The more Republicans take charge of this country, the more divided, nervous, angry, impoverished, vulgar, and cruel our society becomes.  The Righties will gainsay this assertion and spit more vitriol at me, but too bad.  As Bob Dylan said, "you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows."  I don't need fly-by-night pollsters to tell me who has a mandate on righteousness.  The United States is worse off in every way than it was four years ago.

A country that is polarized, insecure, paranoid, and broke cannot ward off terrorism.  I assert that the Republicans are drving us pell-mell towards a wave of homegrown terrorism in the fashion of the bombing of the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City.  The more disenfranchised, indigent, and desperate citizens a society amasses, the closer it comes to civil unrest.  Such uprising could emerge as early as next month if the people see their votes discounted and their election stolen again.

During the VP debate, Cheney had the audacity to bring up the benefits of a good job that allows you to feed your family.  The Bush Administration has no intention of giving business the incentive to create good paying jobs for Americans.  Spoken candidly, their beliefs would echo Mr. Limbaugh's statement, "corporations don't exist to give people jobs."

If we want to save our country from intense misery from collapsing living standards and rising ecological pollution, we have to get rid of government enslaved to corporate profit.  Voting in Kerry/Edwards would be just the start.  Even an idiot can point to those and say, "Well look at them, they're loaded too."  Exactly.  A poor man or woman can no longer rise to the highest levels of government.  If we get Kerry in office, liberals and Democrats will have to FORCE him by grassroots action to serve the people, not the multinationals.  Otherwise, we'll get a repeat of Clinton.  Now, a repeat of Clinton would be oodles better than a second term of Bush, which spells jeopardy for the republic, however, we must demand better.

Thus, I find it exceedingly tedious to nitpick over who said what in some speech.  We need major change before we worry about fine tunings.

Written By: McDonald on 10/06/04 at 9:38 pm

At least Edwards is a self-made man... his father worked in a freakin' mill! They weren't even middle class! All the money he has, he's made on his own. Maybe he knows about two Americas because he's been a card-carrying member of BOTH!

Written By: McDonald on 10/06/04 at 9:41 pm

The No Spin Zone with Bill O'Reilly (The Radio Factor)
The Zero Spin Zone with Al Franken (The O'Franken Factor)
-Which came first, and who couldn't come up with an original idea?

Al Franken no longer calls his show the O'Franken Factor, and he stated from the beginning that his only goal in this was to get O'Reilly to sue him. He didn't succeed, O'Reilly didn't sue him (though we all know he would have, had he not known that Al Franken wanted him to) so he changed that name to the Al Franken Show. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/04 at 10:01 pm

What I want to see is a change in the temper of the country.  The more Republicans take charge of this country, the more divided, nervous, angry, impoverished, vulgar, and cruel our society becomes.  The Righties will gainsay this assertion and spit more vitriol at me, but too bad.  As Bob Dylan said, "you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows."  I don't need fly-by-night pollsters to tell me who has a mandate on righteousness.  The United States is worse off in every way than it was four years ago.

you know what, I don't worry about it that much.  In the history of the United States, there's always a swinging back and forth of conservative vs. liberal viewpoints and control of the country.  We're seeing a swing to the right at the moment.  What's going to happen, is eventually the vocal minority that's behind the swing right now, will upset and disenfranchise a greater number of voters and it will begin to swing the other way. 

The 50s were fairly conservative, the 60s and 70s, definitely not.  The 80s were the Regan years (way conservative) and the 90s were somewhat liberal (though not too liberal since the Republicans took control of both the House and the Senate).  After four years of the Republicans holding a majority, we're not seeing a huge surge of votes for them.  The country is still pretty evenly divided.  The Senate doesn't look to be veering much towards either party (not sure about the House).  The Bush/Kerry election is so close, no one can really claim which way it will go.  If there's another four years with Bush at the helm though, no matter how close the election is, you will not see a Republican elected after him.  Once enough liberties are infringed under by his party goons, people will tire of him and vote for someone less conservative. 

The problem is that most Americans are not right wing or left wing, they're moderates, and there's no party to adequately represent them.  So this is how the system ends up compensating.  It's too bad the only serious contender to the system was Ross Perot, who was a little on the nutty side (and certainly not the savoir to the political system some made him out to be).  The status quo will never allow that to happen again, I can assure you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 10:16 pm

I still think it's a riot how Cheney confused "factcheck.org" with "factcheck.com," George Soros' anti-Bush website, all about why Bush SHOULD NOT be re-elected.  With enemies like this....

Funny how they're spinning Cheney's "I never met you before tonight" gaff.  The Righties are saying "he meant in the Senate."  That would still be a lie.  Ku Klux Hannity had the best retort.  Edwards is such a big nothing, Cheney forgot sitting next to him at that prayer breakfast.  Haw haw haw!
Well, we all know what the story would be if it had been Kerry saying he'd never met Cheney...

Written By: Hairspray on 10/07/04 at 7:38 am

Geez, did anyone else notice how at the end of the debate during closing statements Edwards thanked Cheney but Cheney didn't thank Edwards?

That tidbit of civility and consideration should be noted because it does speak volumes, in my opinion.

In the CBS and ABC news polls, Edwards was reflected as the winner of the debate. More people also found him more "likeable". Whether we like it or not, it is a reality that many people do consider "likeability" as a factor in whom they choose to vote.

In any case, I'm glad these debates take place. I am certain now, more than ever, Kerry/Edwards is the ticket. :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 7:43 am

Co- President Fester was fairly rude throughout, i only managed to watch the debate yesterday afternoon (it wasn't broadcast here) and was very suprised to see that Fester was doing a bit better than a lot of people claimed. Although i was far more impressed with Edwards i thought Fester held his own on a couple of points. Mainly on the terrorism topics, but then again, the Dubyah - Fester administration has shoved so many buzzwords down our throats in the last couple of years that we have more than likely begun to believe them on a subliminal level... ???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/07/04 at 8:57 am

In the CBS and ABC news polls, Edwards was reflected as the winner of the debate. More people also found him more "likeable". Whether we like it or not, it is a reality that many people do consider "likeability" as a factor in whom they choose to vote.

I may be wrong but I think the ABC poll showed Cheney win.  Maybe someone should look it up.  As for CBS....well its a CBS poll.  I find it hard to believe anything from the Cock and Bull Story network anymore, especially when it teams up with that rag The New York Times, making the CBS-NY Times poll....all BS.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 9:10 am

lol at Cock & Bull story network

(i'm out of the loop here)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/04 at 10:37 am

Geez, did anyone else notice how at the end of the debate during closing statements Edwards thanked Cheney but Cheney didn't thank Edwards?

Yes, I did noticed and mentioned it to Carlos at the time. I thought that was just down right rude. That had nothing to do with partisanship, politics or anything else-just plain rudeness!

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/07/04 at 4:41 pm

A Nicholas D. Kristof (New York Times) op-ed piece in my local paper addressed the issue of "free elections" and the treatment of women in Afganistan.  I recall Bush implying that they were now liberated.  Not according to Kristof.  He documents women imprisoned for refusing to marry their father's choice, being given virginity tests, beaten by family members and then imprisoned.  One woman, apparently kidnapped and raped, failed to pass the virginity tyest (ah duh) and was convicted of fornication and sentanced to 7 years in jail.  Some "liberation".

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/04 at 4:57 pm

Well GWB, we are all awaiting your response.  Don't you get tired of being an idiot?

that comment does violate forum guidelines, please be civil

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/04 at 9:12 pm

I may be wrong but I think the ABC poll showed Cheney win.  Maybe someone should look it up.  As for CBS....well its a CBS poll.  I find it hard to believe anything from the Cock and Bull Story network anymore, especially when it teams up with that rag The New York Times, making the CBS-NY Times poll....all BS.

Haw haw!  It's hard to come up with funny acronyms for FOX, "x" is a toughie.  How about the "Fascists On Xanax" channel?  Nah.
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...