» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Who do you think won the 10/5 vice-presidential debate?

Written By: bbigd04 on 10/06/04 at 6:30 pm

I personally vote for edwards, I think Cheney started off ok, maybe the first 2 minutes, then faded and Edwards took over. And the website Cheney gave out and said it would clarify that he had nothing to do with the Halliburton problems, first of all he got the address wrong factcheck.com is a link to George Soro's website, lol. George Soros is the man behind the anti-Bush moveon commercials and a big democrat donor, and second if you go to the correct page factcheck.ORG they have a article posted about how Cheney was lying, lol. I like when the crowd at the Edwards rally after the debate started cheering, "4 more weeks!" That's right, 4 more weeks till lying thief is voted out.

Subject: Re: Who do you think won the 10/5 vice-presidential debate?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/06/04 at 7:12 pm

All that was point out was Cheney's mistake in saying factcheck.com which is a Soros smear site.  Not sure where on factcheck.org you see anything that points out Cheney lied, but that non-partisan site helps Cheney and puts egg on the democrats' faces by exposing their lie.  Personally I would stay away from anyone who said Edwards killed in that debate, it was close to a tie and either side could edge for their candidate, but I think Cheney won.  And I'm being honest with myself on that, remember I did say Kerry won the debate on Thursday.  The best debate wrap-up didn't come from FNC but from NBC.  All three of the liberals on there said Edwards lost and that quote: ''Kerry would need to clean up Edward's mess on Friday.''

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 10:01 pm

I chose Edwards because I see no reason to believe a g*dd*m thing that comes out of Cheney's nasty gob.

Written By: McDonald on 10/06/04 at 10:14 pm

Hmm... perhaps factcheck.org pointed out that Cheney lied, oh I'm sorry, "wrongly implied" when they wrote this...

Cheney Plugs FactCheck

Cheney got our domain name wrong -- calling us "FactCheck.com" -- and wrongly implied that we had rebutted allegations Edwards was making about what Cheney had done as chief executive officer of Halliburton.

There's other stuff too, about both candidates... feel free. http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272

Written By: McDonald on 10/06/04 at 10:20 pm

And here are some more Cheney lies (and Edwards ones...) on Factcheck.org

Other Dubious Claims.

Cheney used a misleading figure to support the idea that the administration was "deeply concerned" about the toll that AIDS has taken on poor countries, stating that the administration has "proposed and gotten through the Congress authorization for $15 billion to help in the international effort." That's true, but the $15-billion figure was to be spread over five years -- and when it came to asking for money to be actually appropriated and spent Bush sought only $2 billion for the fiscal year that just ended. Congress increased that to $2.4 billion.

Cheney and Edwards both made misleading statements about each other's education records, specifically on the No Child Left Behind law. Cheney claimed "they were for it; now they're against it." But while Kerry has criticized the law as being underfunded and called for some changes he has not called for the law's repeal. Edwards claimed "they said they were going to fund their No Child Left Behind; $27 billion short today." In fact, overall federal funding for education grew 58% in Bush's first three years, though many governors and congressional Democrats say even more is required.

Cheney said Edwards "has got his facts wrong. I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11." But The Washington Post reported Oct. 6 that Cheney often "skated close to the line in ways that may have certainly left that impression on viewers," especially by repeatedly citing the possibility that hijacker Mohamed Atta met with an Iraqi official, a theory disputed by the 9/11 Commission.
Cheney claimed Kerry had voted 98 times to raise taxes. As we've pointed out before, that's an inflated figure that counts multiple votes on the same tax bills, and also counts votes on budget measures that only set tax targets but don't actually bring about tax increases by themselves.

same page as I linked to above.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/04 at 10:25 pm

"Wrongly implied" is just adding ten more letters to the front of "lied."

Jon Stewart picked up what I was thinking, what about "fatchicks.org"?

Written By: bbigd04 on 10/06/04 at 10:32 pm

Well I hate to take anyone away from their kool-aid stand, but that was stupid.  All that was point out was Cheney's mistake in saying factcheck.com which is a Soros smear site.  Not sure where on factcheck.org you see anything that points out Cheney lied, but that non-partisan site helps Cheney and puts egg on the democrats' faces by exposing their lie.  Personally I would stay away from anyone who said Edwards killed in that debate, it was close to a tie and either side could edge for their candidate, but I think Cheney won.  And I'm being honest with myself on that, remember I did say Kerry won the debate on Thursday.  The best debate wrap-up didn't come from FNC but from NBC.  All three of the liberals on there said Edwards lost and that quote: ''Kerry would need to clean up Edward's mess on Friday.''

"Cheney wrongly implied that FactCheck had defended his tenure as CEO of Halliburton Co., and the vice president even got our name wrong. He overstated matters when he said Edwards voted "for the war" and "to commit the troops, to send them to war." He exaggerated the number of times Kerry has voted to raise taxes, and puffed up the number of small business owners who would see a tax increase under Kerry's proposals."

"In fact, we did post an article pointing out that Cheney hasn't profited personally while in office from Halliburton's Iraq contracts, as falsely implied by a Kerry TV ad. But Edwards was talking about Cheney's responsibility for earlier Halliburton troubles. And in fact, Edwards was mostly right."

Cheney made it look like factcheck was defending his haliburton record which according to factcheck themselves is incorrect. It's pretty sad that Cheney mentions a site that he said defends him and that website says he was lying saying they defended him. Of course Edwards exaggerated things himself, but I beleive Cheney was worse. Cheney lied about never metting Edwards, there are pictures of him and Edwards sitting right next to each other and shaking hands. Cheney lied saying they "voted for the war" They voted to authorize the use of military force, if needed. Cheney lied saying he never said Saddam was connected to 9/11. Cheney lied by saying Kerry/Edwards are against No Child left behind, when in reality they are for it but want to properly fund it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/ap/20041007/ap_on_re_mi_ea/us_iraq_weapons
US Report find NO evidence of WMD.

"Cheney said Edwards "has got his facts wrong. I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11." But The Washington Post reported Oct. 6 that Cheney often "skated close to the line in ways that may have certainly left that impression on viewers," especially by repeatedly citing the possibility that hijacker Mohamed Atta met with an Iraqi official, a theory disputed by the 9/11 Commission."

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272
Look at this page most of the exaggeration or lies came from Cheney.

Written By: Hairspray on 10/07/04 at 7:44 am

Edwards

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 7:50 am

Yeah, iv'e said it before and i'll say it again, Fester was impressive on 2-3 points, Edwards was impressive on just about everything.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/04 at 10:49 am

In terms of the debate itself, I said a tie. They both managed to hold their own. Neither one seem to dominate the debate.

In terms of the facts, it was definately Edwards. I'm not too sure if anything Cheney said was true.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/07/04 at 4:16 pm

I also voted tie, and for the same rason Cat did, the impression left by the debate itself, the forcefulness of the 2.  It was clear, though, that Chuuney was lying through his teeth in a big way.  Edwards, on the other hand, was stating only the facts that moved his case forward.  Isn't that what you do in a debate?  So on content Edwards was the clear runaway winner.  Its just that Chuuney didn't give up any ground, like Lil' Georgie did, that made it a tie.

Check for new replies or respond here...