» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: My View on Banning Everything

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/04 at 2:28 pm

This can be applied to any ban... Abortion, smoking, drinking, even dress codes. Read and enjoy:

Think of it this way. Prohibition was an attempt to ban alcohol. Underground practices were established, getting around the law. All you did was make the sale of alcohol more risky and expensive. If you eliminate abortion, you will still have it, it'll just be done for more money in less sterile conditions. You will always have underground clinics killing babies with coat hangers. The same with any other drug. Meth is illegal, but you still have people making it in bathrooms. {Not that meth should be legalized} There will always be a black market. And this black market will be less safe to use.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: My View on Banning Everything

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/09/04 at 2:31 pm

Ever since Adam and Eve, forbidden fruit has always been sweeter.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/09/04 at 3:52 pm

Ever since Adam and Eve, forbidden fruit has always been sweeter.

Thats a perfect analogy.

In Georgia, before all consumer fireworks were banned, NO ONE cared, the shops were empty.  Then Georgia joined the ranks of 9 other states (10 in all, even today) and banned fireworks and what happened?  People were protesting, fighting, buying out all the fireworks before the ban took effect.  And now today, people run and spend Georgia dollars and tax money in Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina to purchase fireworks which are legal in every state surrounding Georgia.

Each side wants to ban some (just a few examples):

Republicans: Drugs like pot and meth, gay marriage, and abortion.

Democrats: Guns, fireworks, and lawn darts.

Written By: philbo on 10/09/04 at 5:29 pm

That's a large part of the reasoning I use when arguing for legalization (under license, of course) of all drugs and narcotics - prohibition of anything may reduce demand, but will never get rid of demand completely; while there is a demand for prohibited substances (especially addictive ones), someone will supply them, usually at vastly inflated prices simply *because* it is an illegal substance.

This creates a huge financial incentive to push:- e.g. for drug dealers to persuade or coerce new users, so that once they're hooked the dealers can make lots of money out of them.

IMO, legalization will in the medium to long term reduce the demand for drugs, and inject a whole load more money into government coffers rather than the dregs of society... I really can't see the logic in keeping things the way they are: if there still is a "war on drugs", we're losing it at the moment.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 5:35 pm

Let's not forget Rosie O'Donnel and her little "clique" who think nobody should own guns....sure, ban them and they will STILL be around...problem is only the thugs will have them. Gee, when Rosie was posed that dilema on her now defunt show, she kicked the guest (Tom Selleck) off for not agreeing with her...typical ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/09/04 at 5:38 pm

Let's not forget Rosie O'Donnel and her little "clique" who think nobody should own guns....sure, ban them and they will STILL be around...problem is only the thugs will have them. Gee, when Rosie was posed that dilema on her now defunt show, she kicked the guest (Tom Selleck) off for not agreeing with her...typical ::)

Guns are about as responsible for deaths as a spoon is for Rosie O'Donnel being fat.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/10/04 at 9:02 am

Guns are about as responsible for deaths as a spoon is for Rosie O'Donnel being fat.

I'll pass that on to Martin Bryant and Ivan Milat's legal teams.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 10:16 am

I'd ban guns... even ones claimed to be used for "sport"... pointless objects!  No real justification for saying they shouldn't be banned.  I am glad there is a strict ban here in the UK and I am even more glad to never have seen one.

As for the fat anaology with the spoons.  Ever heard of self control.

I am a smoker and I DO agree with banning smoking in public places and it won't be long know till I can't have a smoke with my drink but it is logically a good idea even if my social life will suffer!

My point is I suppose banning things isn't done to spite us but to protect us which although can be patronising to be fair but I do know more stupid people than bright ones who need protecting.

If they ban alcohol I am moving to Germany!!!!! 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/10/04 at 10:25 am

I'd ban guns... even ones claimed to be used for "sport"... pointless objects!  No real justification for saying they shouldn't be banned.  I am glad there is a strict ban here in the UK and I am even more glad to never have seen one.

As for the fat anaology with the spoons.  Ever heard of self control.

I am a smoker and I DO agree with banning smoking in public places and it won't be long know till I can't have a smoke with my drink but it is logically a good idea even if my social life will suffer!

My point is I suppose banning things isn't done to spite us but to protect us which although can be patronising to be fair but I do know more stupid people than bright ones who need protecting.

If they ban alcohol I am moving to Germany!!!!! 
How about the analogy that the THUGS will STILL use guns... ???
As for the move to Germany....I'm with you!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 10:35 am

How about the analogy that the THUGS will STILL use guns... ???

Don't use logic as a counter-attack, it never works.  Here in America only the fringe left (28% last time I checked the opinion polls a year ago) wants to fully ban firearms.  Luckily that second amendment was put into place to stop the small, but loud and complaining, minority.  As for banning guns for sports, I say good luck.  Gun season for deer here in Georgia opens up on Octobet 16, hopefully it'll be as good as last year when I filled 2 antlerless deer tags and 1 antlered deer tag with a nice 6-point buck.

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 2:47 pm

More MJ, less guns!  ;D

Seriously, I am against assault weapons being legal, but I do think people have the right to own handguns, after a background check and safety courses. People need to be educated on them if they are to own them, it's common sense.

And I am 100% pro-legalization in regards to marijuana. The number of alcohol-related deaths annually is 200,000. Do you know the number of marijuana-related deaths? Let me give you a hint...the number resembles a big fat GOOSE EGG!

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 3:33 pm

I agree with legalising marajuana, I just hope it doesn't say to kids if it's legal it must be ok, let's try something harder.  I only tried it cos it was naughty!!!

As for the guns... I am delighted to be British, I am delighted we have superb gun control.

As for the killing of innocent animals for self gratification I will leave that one.  If I say what I think I will be stooping to a level I daren't go to.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/10/04 at 4:04 pm

My God!!!!  I mostly agree with GWB on this one.  I don't buy into the "guns don't kill people..." crap, but though I'm not a gun owner I do support the 2nd amendment as an individual right.  I also think that real assault weopons should be banned, and so does a national organization of police officers (I forget what it is called).  I do think that serious background checks should be manditory for gun ownership though, and there should be required safty courses for gun ownership.  I think pot should at least be de-criminalized, if not made legal, but the booze industry hates that idea.  If it were legal I could grow enough in my back yard to keep the whole town high for ever, and the booze buisiness would go down the toilet.  They lobbied to make it illegal and to keep it that way.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 4:05 pm

Seriously, I am against assault weapons being legal, but I do think people have the right to own handguns, after a background check and safety courses. People need to be educated on them if they are to own them, it's common sense.

Woah I somewhat agree.  I agree with handguns being legal, and I agree with background checks.  I don't however agree that their should be a safety course involved.

And to the ''Cheeky Ferret'' I don't hunt for the fun of it (though it plays a part.)  Have you tried deer meat, sheesh its the best thing.  If they sold deer in stores there would be no reason for me to hunt as I tend to not hunt small game like rabbits.  I'm proud to help with conservation, and enjoy a tasty animal in the process.  Join PETA:

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:13 pm

I think all owners of handguns should be IQ tested.  Then a safety course should be undertaken and then make bullets too expensive for people to own or to buy in bulk.  Hell, try something to stop kids gettig hold of them and shooting their classmates.

As for meat.  I don't agree with killing animals to eat as I am a vegetarian.  Even when I did eat meat  I wasn't  a caveman killed my own I went to the shops.  Even when I was in i Ghana they were civilised enough to go to the supermarket to get dinner and they are third world.

Shops do sell deer meat but pardon the pun it is dear!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/10/04 at 4:20 pm

Woah I somewhat agree.  I agree with handguns being legal, and I agree with background checks.  I don't however agree that their should be a safety course involved.

And to the ''Cheeky Ferret'' I don't hunt for the fun of it (though it plays a part.)  Have you tried deer meat, sheesh its the best thing.  If they sold deer in stores there would be no reason for me to hunt as I tend to not hunt small game like rabbits.  I'm proud to help with conservation, and enjoy a tasty animal in the process.  Join PETA:

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

We like venison too, but here we can buy it during hunting season and for 3 weeks after.  We stock up.

I think a safty course is important.  My cousin is a gun owner, and once we went to a pistol range to fire off a few rounds (I'm a pretty fair marksman by the was).  As we were leaving some clown came off the range with a jammed weopon and showed it to an attendant.  "See", he said, and proceeded to pull the trigger, discharging the gun.  Nobody hurt, but we all hit the deck.  Next time he should put it to his temple to show its jammed.  Safty courses would eliminate at least some of this stupidity.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/10/04 at 4:21 pm

My God!!!!  I mostly agree with GWB on this one.  I don't buy into the "guns don't kill people..." crap, but though I'm not a gun owner I do support the 2nd amendment as an individual right.  I also think that real assault weopons should be banned, and so does a national organization of police officers (I forget what it is called).  I do think that serious background checks should be manditory for gun ownership though, and there should be required safty courses for gun ownership.  I think pot should at least be de-criminalized, if not made legal, but the booze industry hates that idea.  If it were legal I could grow enough in my back yard to keep the whole town high for ever, and the booze buisiness would go down the toilet.  They lobbied to make it illegal and to keep it that way.
Hi Don Carlos! I think it just boils down to what I've been saying all along....if we ban guns, the criminals will be the only ones with them. Rosie and the like just can't seem to comprehend that ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 4:22 pm

I think all owners of handguns should be IQ tested.  Then a safety course should be undertaken and then make bullets too expensive for people to own or to buy in bulk.  Hell, try something to stop kids gettig hold of them and shooting their classmates.

As for meat.  I don't agree with killing animals to eat as I am a vegetarian.  Even when I did eat meat  I wasn't  a caveman killed my own I went to the shops.  Even when I was in i Ghana they were civilised enough to go to the supermarket to get dinner and they are third world.

Shops do sell deer meat but pardon the pun it is dear!

Um...I've never seen deer meat in a shop.  Maybe thats strictly in Great Britain or I must be missing something.

Caveman?  What is that some kind of low blow?  Just because I hunt for a specific type of meat that isn't sold in stores.  How exactly am I a caveman when I'm using a .270 rifle with a Simmons high-powered scope?  Not the most primitive weapon in the world is it?

You basically sound like you like restricting rights.  Here in America, thank God, we have a second amendment to ensure personal freedoms, and don't increase bullet prices to force the poor into a state of being unprotected.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:28 pm

Obviously not a Brit thing if Don Carlos in Vermont and can buy venison. Maybe you are missing something.

Take the caveman comment as a low blow if you feel it was one but I interpret it to be a wo/man who goes out to kill dinner.  I just feel in this day and age it is pointless and should be left to professionals and you like the rest of us should pay for your food. All good restaurants sell venison, and pheasant and other much hunted (preyed) animals and birds.

I don't believe in restricting rights but I do believe in having rules and guidelines to abide too and not letting people take everything into their own hands.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:31 pm

And if all criminals are going to end up with guns anyway then what is wrong with at least attempting a ban.... obviously it won't get worse.

We have strict gun laws and I hear of minimal shootings, extremely rare deaths and i have never seen one or know anyone who owns one.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 4:34 pm

I don't believe in restricting rights but I do believe in having rules and guidelines to abide too and not letting people take everything into their own hands.

If I may quote Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the United States of America:  ''I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves.''

Well to some liberals, like you, thats the whole point of government.  That kind of ''thinking'' really makes me wonder if some liberals run on logic or emotion.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:38 pm

I find a little of both is perfectly acceptable.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 4:40 pm

And if all criminals are going to end up with guns anyway then what is wrong with at least attempting a ban.... obviously it won't get worse.

We have strict gun laws and I hear of minimal shootings, extremely rare deaths and i have never seen one or know anyone who owns one.

A ban on what exactly?  Peoples' rights?  I know for a fact that England has a higher rape rate, assult rate, and robbery rate then America.  Wonder why?

In a country like Great Britain, a gun ban may work, because England doesn't have a gun culture like America.  Their is no chance in hell anywhere near all guns can be taken off the streets, and a lot of legal gun owners may convert to illegal gun owners rather then live in New York unarmed.

On assult weapons, I personally don't give a dam* what guns people choose to own in the land of the free, even to this day, not one single death has been linked to a legally owned assult weapon in America.  Darn.  AK-47's and UZIs are still illegal, guns like them were banned in the 30's, so don't give me that stupid ''No one needs a UZI'' line/crap.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:43 pm

and may I quote

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Winston Churchill.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 4:46 pm

and may I quote

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Winston Churchill.

And what exactly am I failing to learn from history?

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 4:52 pm

I thought we were just randomly quoting garbage.  sorry, my mistake.

Why do you think we don't have a gun culture like America?  Could it be the laws we have in place?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:03 pm

I thought we were just randomly quoting garbage.  sorry, my mistake.

Why do you think we don't have a gun culture like America?  Could it be the laws we have in place?

No, I was quoting something relevent to what I was saying, you shot that quote out of the blue with no purpose.  Think please.

It has nothing to do with laws.  America has a second amendment and a rich gun history.  England doesn't.  Its very simple.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:09 pm

I don't personally like guns. But, we do have the 2nd ammendment and I'll be damned if the constitution will be used to strip rights instead of expand them. The ammendment doesn't say that we can't regulate gun ownership thoug. I support courses for responsible gun ownership, and background checks. I could support the ban on assault weapons, but then again there are gun collectors who want to have them and should be able to, so I say just ban assault weapon ammo... then people can have an assault weapon but they can't go off and wipe out a post office with it. You wanna play target practise... choose one of the other myriad of guns. Rifles, Handies, Shot-Guns, Muskets, BB guns, Pellet Guns... etc.
    As for hunting. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's done strictly for the purpose of providing food. Killing animals just for the hell of it is cruel, and pointless. If you kill the animal you have the responsibility of handling it properly. That means taking the meat, and making sure it gets to somebody's kitchen. We have people in this country who starve, so the demand for it is there, I assure you. Hell, humans are omnivorous by nature, and most of the meat they sell in the shops is packed with crap! You should have the right to provide yourself with good meat if you want it. And in most of the US, you can't buy game meat in a store because the government can't regulate it. I personally love venison, it's great, probably my favourite. If people don't agree with hunting, their solution is simple... don't do it. And I will say the same thing for abortion, gay marriage, censorship (if you don't like it, don't watch/listen/read!), etc...

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:09 pm

Well all I can say is if you "think" about it is that history in the UK has shown that gun laws can and do work.  The only reason it hasn't worked in US is because you refuse to try.  I would be petrified if I went to America, I would be in fear of being mugged at gun point rather than just being mugged.

What has rape statistics (which I can not find supporting evidence for) got to do with banning gunns, especially the killing of animals?

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:12 pm

Doesn't killing your own animals for personal consumption have an economical effect on farmers?  Is there a law saying you can't go on to sell a kill?  I honestly don't know...

Fox hunting will be banned in the UK as of 2006.  YAY.... 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:16 pm

I don't personally like guns. But, we do have the 2nd ammendment and I'll be darned if the constitution will be used to strip rights instead of expand them. The ammendment doesn't say that we can't regulate gun ownership thoug. I support courses for responsible gun ownership, and background checks. I could support the ban on assault weapons, but then again there are gun collectors who want to have them and should be able to, so I say just ban assault weapon ammo... then people can have an assault weapon but they can't go off and wipe out a post office with it. You wanna play target practise... choose one of the other myriad of guns. Rifles, Handies, Shot-Guns, Muskets, BB guns, Pellet Guns... etc.
    As for hunting. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's done strictly for the purpose of providing food. Killing animals just for the hell of it is cruel, and pointless. If you kill the animal you have the responsibility of handling it properly. That means taking the meat, and making sure it gets to somebody's kitchen. We have people in this country who starve, so the demand for it is there, I assure you. Hell, humans are omnivorous by nature, and most of the meat they sell in the shops is packed with crap! You should have the right to provide yourself with good meat if you want it. And in most of the US, you can't buy game meat in a store because the government can't regulate it. I personally love venison, it's great, probably my favourite. If people don't agree with hunting, their solution is simple... don't do it. And I will say the same thing for abortion, gay marriage, censorship (if you don't like it, don't watch/listen/read!), etc...

Holy crap...that was very good.  So no one really disagrees with me, Don Carlos and McDonalds agree with me, and I think Maxwell said at one time he supports private gun ownership.  For once, all Americans on this board agree on something, which is amazing.

Only the person from England disagrees...but hey its England.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:17 pm

Doesn't killing your own animals for personal consumption have an economical effect on farmers?  Is there a law saying you can't go on to sell a kill?  I honestly don't know...

I'm just wondering how poeple in the UK hunt fox if there is such a strict ban on guns... Bows and arrows? Rocks? I don't mean to sound like an arsehole but that ban doesn't appear to be too strict does it? BTW, do they eat the fox? If not, and it's just for sport, then I would support that ban.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:21 pm

I do disagree with you, I make no qualms about wanting to promote peace and harmony.  I also think that it is being me and you few not UK and USA!

I have a lot of friends who believe that gun-ownership is an horrific concept. In 1994 we too had a man go in a school and blow kids apart.  First question.  How did he get a gun... first action, hold a gun amnsety which was highly successful... we wanted to prevent it from happening again, shock; it hasn't happened again.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:22 pm

I'm just wondering how poeple in the UK hunt fox if there is such a strict ban on guns... Bows and arrows? Rocks? I don't mean to sound like an arsehole but that ban doesn't appear to be too strict does it? BTW, do they eat the fox? If not, and it's just for sport, then I would support that ban.

I don't know if they eat it or not, but I THINK they hunt with dogs and the dogs tear the fox apart.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:23 pm

ever heard of hounds?  No guns.  Just a bloodsport which humans encourage.  The humans chase the foxes on horseback encouraging the hounds to shred the fox... slight twist, they chase the foxes into blocked holes.  Result, dead foxes, exercised hounds and smug arseholes on horse back trotting off to do it again!

Written By: Apricot on 10/10/04 at 5:24 pm

Your an idiot. And I don't care if I get modded for saying that, it needs to be said.

"hey it's England"

Go back where you came from, Jethro.

Good one!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:27 pm

Your an idiot. And I don't care if I get modded for saying that, it needs to be said.

"hey it's England"

Personally I don't care what stupid names you call me, but you really need to stop being so quick-tempered.  It was a joke.  Get it?  I guess not.  But it was a joke, meant to be slightly funny and you jump all over me.  Calm down.

And I believe it is ''You're'' as in ''you are.''

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:29 pm

Slate England all you like.... means nothing to me, at least if I ever see you you know I won't shoot you!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:32 pm

Slate England all you like.... means nothing to me, at least if I ever see you you know I won't shoot you!

I know you wouldn't shoot me, if you tried I'd be able to pull out my handgun which I carry with me most of the time.  And your statement only goes to show you think all gun owners are some kind of nutjobs who walk around looking for a reason to shoot someone.  Not even the slightest bit true.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:37 pm

ever heard of hounds?  No guns.  Just a bloodsport which humans encourage.  The humans chase the foxes on horseback encouraging the hounds to shred the fox... slight twist, they chase the foxes into blocked holes.  Result, dead foxes, exercised hounds and smug arseholes on horse back trotting off to do it again!

Actually no, I've never heard of a hound until today. I live under a rock, you see. Not really. It's just that here in North America, we use our hounds to retrieve the fallen animal, and we do the killing ourselves. In any case, it sounds like a brutal practise, and I agree that it should be done away with. No fox nor vixen deserves to be ripped to shreds simply so some merry old noblemen (tanked up on cognac, no doubt) can have a quick laugh.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:39 pm

"hey it's England"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ROTFLMMFAO  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:41 pm

I do think that anyone who carries a gun is not the full ticket.  Paranoid is a word that comes to mind.

The hound is a beagle.  Really nice cute looking dog trained to kill!  Heinous!  

But you have hit the nail on the head.  It is the upper class, usually Royalty who have this thing with blood sport.  Why I don't know because they could eat deer for breakfast, lunch and supper if they pleased and they could get groundsmen to do it for them... showing that it is the act they enjoy and not the kill.  Dogs for returning prey is a retriever (irony lol) they are just doing as the master commands.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:42 pm

Personally I don't care what stupid names you call me, but you really need to stop being so quick-tempered.  It was a joke.  Get it?  I guess not.  But it was a joke, meant to be slightly funny and you jump all over me.  Calm down.

And I believe it is ''You're'' as in ''you are.''

Seriously, GW, I think we have established in other threads that you and grammar aren't exactly engaged in any kind of love affair... Do you really have much business correcting El's?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/10/04 at 5:45 pm

Here in Vermont you can buy venison, as said above, and if you eat meat, somewhere along the  line an animal dies.  My guess is that most of the time, the slaughter house death is worse than a clean shot from a rifle.  And didn't Robin Hood feed his folloers with venison pasties?

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:46 pm

I do think that anyone who carries a gun is not the full ticket.  Paranoid is a word that comes to mind.

The hound is a beagle.  Really nice cute looking dog trained to kill!  Heinous!  

But you have hit the nail on the head.  It is the upper class, usually Royalty who have this thing with blood sport.  Why I don't know cos they could eat deer for breakfast, lunch and supper if they pleased and they could get grounsmen to do it for them... showing that it is the act they enjoy and not the kill.  Dogs for returning prey is a retriever (irony lol) they are just doing as the master commands.

Agreed!

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:48 pm

How do I do the trick of putting your post in with mine?

And that is a bloody good point.

You're an idiot.... I may not share your views but I do have a grasp of basic grammar!  I didn't want to point it out as I am a newbie but everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I lmao...

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:49 pm

I'd ban Royalty given half a chance.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 5:52 pm

Here in Vermont you can buy venison, as said above, and if you eat meat, somewhere along the  line an animal dies.  My guess is that most of the time, the slaughter house death is worse than a clean shot from a rifle.  And didn't Robin Hood feed his folloers with venison pasties?

Bless you, Don Carlos, for bringing up Robin Hood, my favourite person when I was a child. Though, he is a character mostly of fiction, they say that if he did exist, he probably was a serious thief and enemy of the state.  

In the stories, you are right, he was wanted much for poaching the King's deer, which he and his merry men did eat. But in any case, I don't see how Robin Hood has much to do with Cheeky's plight. In fact, and I don't mean to offend here, the information is inconsequential. But again, thanks for reminding me why I totally dug the old boy Robin as a child. He's just plain awesome.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:54 pm

How do I do the trick of putting your post in with mine?

And that is a bloody good point.

You're an idiot.... I may not share your views but I do have a grasp of basic grammar!  I didn't want to point it out as I am a newbie but everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I lmao...

Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black!

And that thing above each post that says ''Reply with quote'' may be a small hint.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:55 pm

I'm not far from Nottingham Forest actually.  No relevance but I thought i'd share that  ;D

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:57 pm

Forgive me for having a life and only being here for one day.  You have had a life time to master the usage of commas!

I can now do that trick whereas you will always have poor grammar!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 5:59 pm

I do disagree with you, I make no qualms about wanting to promote peace and harmony.  I also think that it is being me and you few not UK and USA!

Okay is this that great grammar you were talking about?  Maybe I'm just slow, but I still have no clue as to what this means.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 5:59 pm

Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black!

And that thing above each post that says ''Reply with quote'' may be a small hint.

Well i'll be

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:02 pm

Well i'll be

LOL.

I think I love you  ;D

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:02 pm

oh my... lmao.

Ok I shall replace my is with a has.

Sadly though you will still be confused by the content.  I shall type slowly from now on as it is obvious you don't read very quick.

Am I being patronised lmao.... oh this is funny.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:03 pm

I'm loved... fantastic.  That has made my evening... ooo it's now morning.  Thank you. x

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 6:06 pm

Forgive me for having a life and only being here for one day.  You have had a life time to master the usage of commas!

I can now do that trick whereas you will always have poor grammar!

Okay, how the hell would you know?  Like you just said, you have been here for one day.  I suggest you shut up on issues that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Besides all you are doing is mimicking McDonald, until he spoke with another 'brilliant' observation you spoke nothing of my grammar.

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:07 pm

Okay, how the hell would you know?  Like you just said, you have been here for one day.  I suggest you shut up on issues that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Besides all you are doing is mimicking McDonald, until he spoke with another 'brilliant' observation you spoke nothing of my grammar.

In your own words, pot--kettle--black.  ;)

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 6:08 pm

Okay, how the hell would you know?  Like you just said, you have been here for one day.  I suggest you shut up on issues that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Besides all you are doing is mimicking McDonald, until he spoke with another 'brilliant' observation you spoke nothing of my grammar.

Awww... he thinks I'm brilliant. Now I'm getting all verklempt!

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:10 pm

Awww... he thinks I'm brilliant. Now I'm getting all verklempt!

Well, you have stumped me on this one, my friend.

What is verklempt? Ugh, I hate sounding like a clod, so whenever I venture upon a word I don't know, I make sure to learn it as to avoid being assundry of it any further.

Just this thing I have...  ;D

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:13 pm

So I have no right posting my opinions on issues such as banning guns?  lardy dah!  Yet you feel you can insult my homeland.  Well blow me down with a feather lmao...

I was wary over how far I could go with the insults so yes, I followed the crowd and I tell you what I like it.  I was obviously being guided by the regulars  :D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 6:14 pm

Sadly though

Sadly though is that you made a mistake on something you were mocking me over.  Honesty and hypocrisy may both start with an 'h' and end with a 'y' but that doesn't mean that they are the same thing.

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:16 pm

Sadly though is that you made a mistake on something you were mocking me over.  Honesty and hypocrisy may both start with an 'h' and end with a 'y' but that doesn't mean that they are the same thing.

Yes and you should know that well over anyone in this thread.  ;)

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:17 pm

yeah and sympathy lies between shhh and syphillis in the dictionary so if you want some go there for it.  I made no mistake either, I merely suggest giving gun owners an IQ test, if you are worried bin the gun!

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 6:17 pm

Hi Cheeky Ferret.

Lol. We Brits always get a stern reaction if we mention the gun issue (regardless of how logical we think we sound). The US believes it is their constitutional right to own guns and therefore if anyone takes that right away from them, they either think they are sitting ducks to criminals or they are being deprived (coming to the conclusion that if guns are allowed to be banned then that could lead to other things being banned as well). How true both of these statements are I have no idea. If the first is true, then there is definitely a problem with the country's crime rate and culture and if the second is true . . . Well . . . Maybe we Brits are missing something . . .  ::). However, I don't side with the logic that 'if one thing gets banned, then there is a chance that everything could be banned' which I hear a lot of - this is just political paranoia. It seems the US don't trust their own government enough.

This isn't an attack on the USA (unlike GWBush's 'hey, it's England' thing - thanks GWBush for that.  ::)). Cheeky Ferret, in essence, what has worked for us may not work for them. I haven't come to the conclusion whether the US would want it to work or not.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 6:20 pm

yeah and sympathy lies between shhh and syphillis in the dictionary so if you want some go there for it.  I made no mistake either, I merely suggest giving gun owners an IQ test, if you are worried bin the gun!

Read what you just wrote and tell me again that their were no mistakes.

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:20 pm

Hi Cheeky Ferret.

Lol. We Brits always get a stern reaction if we mention the gun issue (regardless of how logical we think we sound). The US believes it is their constitutional right to own guns and therefore if anyone takes that right away from them, they either think they are sitting ducks to criminals or they are being deprived (coming to the conclusion that if guns are allowed to be banned then that could lead to other things being banned as well). How true both of these statements are I have no idea. If the first is true, then there is definitely a problem with the country's crime rate and culture and if the second is true . . . Well . . . Maybe we Brits are missing something . . .  ::). However, I don't side with the logic that 'if one thing gets banned, then there is a chance that everything could be banned' which I hear a lot of - this is just political paranoia. It seems the US don't trust their own government enough.

This isn't an attack on the USA (unlike GWBush's 'hey, it's England' thing - thanks GWBush for that.  ::)). Cheeky Ferret, in essence, what has worked for us may not work for them. I haven't come to the conclusion whether the US would want it to work or not.

You bring up an interesting point, guns and violence have been, and continue to be a big part of our culture. For many, many years the United States was quite wild, so guns were a necesity, or you were open to being robbed of everything(especially in the Western half of the U.S.), For our first few decades as a nation, public police forces weren't even the norm in most areas of the country. We were also a nation born of war. I can see because of historical circumstances, we cling to firearms, and also continue to have a general distrust of the outside world.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:21 pm

Still, I believe in trying everything before I dismiss it.  

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 6:21 pm

I know you wouldn't shoot me, if you tried I'd be able to pull out my handgun which I carry with me most of the time.  And your statement only goes to show you think all gun owners are some kind of nutjobs who walk around looking for a reason to shoot someone.  Not even the slightest bit true.

GWBush! What is the matter with you? You say 'your statement only goes to show you think all gun owners are nutjobs' when you have openly confessed to carrying a handgun around with you all the time. So you do shoot deer 24/7, then?  ???

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 6:21 pm

Well, you have stumped me on this one, my friend.

What is verklempt? Ugh, I hate sounding like a clod, so whenever I venture upon a word I don't know, I make sure to learn it as to avoid being assundry of it any further.

Just this thing I have...  ;D

Actually, I believe I spelled it incorrectly. I believe it's "verklaempt" and it is most certainly Yiddish. Having its roots in the German language, Yiddish is fairly understandable to someone who has studied German. As a student of German I will break this Yiddish verb down the way a German speaker would...

Verklaempt is certainly a gerund. The root verb is probably something like "Klampen" which probably means much the same thing as the English "to clamp." So if someone is "verklaempt" they are all choked up, as in not being able to speak due to something like being upset or being about to cry.

Don't you remember Mike Myers' "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman" skit on SNL? Great stuff!

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:21 pm

I have been mugged.  They took £30 off me, hardly an excuse to pump him full of bullets!

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:23 pm

Oh yeah, it's chocked with emotion, sorry... I forgot that post. 

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:24 pm

Actually, I believe I spelled it incorrectly. I believe it's "verklaempt" and it is most certainly Yiddish. Having its roots in the German language, Yiddish is fairly understandable to someone who has studied German. As a student of German I will break this Yiddish verb down the way a German speaker would...

Verklaempt is certainly a gerund. The root verb is probably something like "Klampen" which probably means much the same thing as the English "to clamp." So if someone is "verklaempt" they are all choked up, as in not being able to speak due to something like being upset or being about to cry.

Don't you remember Mike Myers' "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman" skit on SNL? Great stuff!

Oh, ok. I can't believe I forgot Linda Richman! And her love of Barbara Streisand, her skin is like butta!  ;) lol

I have been mugged.  They took £30 off me, hardly an excuse to pump him full of bullets!

I am sorry but I do believe in self-defense, I don't think I'd have shot the fellow, but I'd certainly use a gun(if I was packing heat) to 'persuade' him to give me my money back. I don't think even in the case he gave me trouble I'd kill him though, maybe just pistol whip him.  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 6:25 pm

Read what you just wrote and tell me again that their were no mistakes.

This should go without saying... but 'their' is a possessive adjective, and the word you are looking for is 'there.'

It's just funny that you will accuse someone of grammatical errors with a sentence that contains a fundamental error itself.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:26 pm

and the likelyhood would be seeing as he is the criminal he would have pulled one on me if I lived in a gun culture.... £30, no drama.  

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:27 pm

and the likelyhood would be seeing as he is the criminal he would have pulled one on me if I lived in a gun culture.... £30, no drama. 

True. I would not recommend pulling out a gun in this situation unless you are absolutely sure you are prepared to use it, or it could lead to getting a bullet in your own a$$. 30 pounds is not worth losing your life over.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:28 pm

I probably cocked the word syphylis up but I have never had it and it isn't a word I write everyday.

I am being mocked by this person, it is so funny  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 6:29 pm

You bring up an interesting point, guns and violence have been, and continue to be a big part of our culture. For many, many years the United States was quite wild, so guns were a necesity, or you were open to being robbed of everything(especially in the Western half of the U.S.), For our first few decades as a nation, public police forces weren't even the norm in most areas of the country. We were also a nation born of war. I can see because of historical circumstances, we cling to firearms, and also continue to have a general distrust of the outside world.

I appreciate the distrust and the Wild West, ElDuderino. Thank you, and others in this thread, who back us up  - and kept the discussion away from a UK/US divide. That would only worsen the situation.  ;)

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:30 pm

My whole point.  you can never go back on that split second decision which  is probably made with oodles of adreneline pumping through you.  I would not trust anyone in that circumstance which is why I don't agree with walking down the street armed.  It would be like the Wild West.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 6:33 pm

GWBush! What is the matter with you? You say 'your statement only goes to show you think all gun owners are nutjobs' when you have openly confessed to carrying a handgun around with you all the time. So you do shoot deer 24/7, then?  ???

Gun season for deer opens October 16th here in Georgia, and Georgia has a 12 deer limit.  Not exactly huge, I rarely see any deer I like.  I carry a gun, but I don't openly look around for a reason to use it, that reason must come to me.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:34 pm

You'd starve otherwise obviously as it is compulsary to kill your own food!

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/04 at 6:36 pm

Gun season for deer opens October 16th here in Georgia, and their is a 12 deer limit.  Not exactly huge, I rarely see any deer I like.  I carry a gun, but I don't openly look around for a reason to use it, that reason must come to me.

12 deer? Jeez, three deer is enough to furnish a family with plenty of venison for the year! I hope all that meat is making its way to someone's tummy!

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 6:41 pm

12 deer? Jeez, three deer is enough to furnish a family with plenty of venison for the year! I hope all that meat is making its way to someone's tummy!

Me too.  I don't see why meat companies don't market venison, that way hunting can be eliminated. It makes no sense, haven't you people heard of Albertson's!? lol

And if your hunting for sport, that is just horrible and chickens*** to boot. A grown man killing an unarmed animal with a firearm for 'sport'. Where is the sport in it? Give the Deer a gun! A deer can't shoot a gun you say? Well than it's not fair competition! In order for it to be a real sport, BOTH participants have to have the same outcomes. The Deer can only lose(get killed) or break even(get away), all the hunter can do is either break even or win(kill the Deer). Pathetic.

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 6:41 pm

Gun season for deer opens October 16th here in Georgia, and Georgia has a 12 deer limit.  Not exactly huge, I rarely see any deer I like.  I carry a gun, but I don't openly look around for a reason to use it, that reason must come to me.

I'm sure it will.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 6:44 pm

I think that if the foxes were on horseback and the dogs were chasing people it would have been banned a long time ago!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/10/04 at 6:48 pm

12 does seem high, but I doubt many people decide to kill that many.  Field dressing and processing is hard work.  Georgia's law is:

Each person can kill 10 anterless deer, 1 antler buck of any size, and 1 antler buck with at least 4 points 1 inch or longer on each side of the antlers. 

Personally I have never taken more then 3 deer in one hunting season, it is a pain.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/04 at 7:01 pm

12 does seem high, but I doubt many people decide to kill that many.  Field dressing and processing is hard work.  Georgia's law is:

Each person can kill 10 anterless deer, 1 antler buck of any size, and 1 antler buck with at least 4 points 1 inch or longer on each side of the antlers. 

Personally I have never taken more then 3 deer in one hunting season, it is a pain.

No limit on running 'em down with a truck!  Ironic ain't it? 
:D

Written By: Bobby on 10/10/04 at 7:06 pm

No limit on running 'em down with a truck!  Ironic ain't it? 
:D

lol  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/11/04 at 9:20 pm

Bless you, Don Carlos, for bringing up Robin Hood, my favourite person when I was a child. Though, he is a character mostly of fiction, they say that if he did exist, he probably was a serious thief and enemy of the state.  

In the stories, you are right, he was wanted much for poaching the King's deer, which he and his merry men did eat. But in any case, I don't see how Robin Hood has much to do with Cheeky's plight. In fact, and I don't mean to offend here, the information is inconsequential. But again, thanks for reminding me why I totally dug the old boy Robin as a child. He's just plain awesome.

A childhood hero of mine too.  He questioned authority, regardless of what he ate, and a goo socialist to boot, stealing from all those rich folks to give to the poor.  And, pry tell, how did they get to be rich, if not from stealing from the poor?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/11/04 at 9:34 pm

Hi Cheeky Ferret.

Lol. We Brits always get a stern reaction if we mention the gun issue (regardless of how logical we think we sound). The US believes it is their constitutional right to own guns and therefore if anyone takes that right away from them, they either think they are sitting ducks to criminals or they are being deprived (coming to the conclusion that if guns are allowed to be banned then that could lead to other things being banned as well). How true both of these statements are I have no idea. If the first is true, then there is definitely a problem with the country's crime rate and culture and if the second is true . . . Well . . . Maybe we Brits are missing something . . .  ::). However, I don't side with the logic that 'if one thing gets banned, then there is a chance that everything could be banned' which I hear a lot of - this is just political paranoia. It seems the US don't trust their own government enough.

This isn't an attack on the USA (unlike GWBush's 'hey, it's England' thing - thanks GWBush for that.  ::)). Cheeky Ferret, in essence, what has worked for us may not work for them. I haven't come to the conclusion whether the US would want it to work or not.

Hey you UK guys, lighten up a  bit.  I don't own a gun, and really don't want one, except a single shot rifle on my mantle as mostly a decoration.  But let me point out that Hitler disarmed the German people soon after taking power.  Now I grant you that my psudo-antique Kenntucky rifle would be no match for an AK 47, it still represents my right to overthrow my government if it were (is) becoming oppressive.  I know it may be hard for you on the other side of the pond to understand all this, but the 2nd amendment does have something to do with our liberty.  Just look at what the Viet Cong did with their rifles, and what the Iraqis are doing with theirs - resisting the occupiers.  Unfortunately the occupiers are operating in my nane, and I object.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/12/04 at 8:49 am

A childhood hero of mine too.  He questioned authority, regardless of what he ate, and a goo socialist to boot, stealing from all those rich folks to give to the poor.  And, pry tell, how did they get to be rich, if not from stealing from the poor?

And you are telling me to lighten up lmfao....  Chill... It is only a mythical legend...

Saying that though abgout Nottingham, a 13 year old was shot in the head 2 nights ago while leaving the Goose Fair.... what a coincidence!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/12/04 at 12:56 pm

The reason they don't (can't) is that it's not cost-effective to kill deer.  They cannot be raised in captivity (like cattle or swine) and you cannot catch multiples (as they do with fish)  Also, being a wild animal, there's (I believe) a disease that they can carry called (??) "wasting disease" that is harmful to humans if the meat is consumed.  So, basically, it's a matter of cost vs. liability.

Actually, they can be raised in captivity.  Cat knows a man who is doing just that quite successfully, but you are right in that it isn't cost effective.  He does it as a hobby.

To our Brit friends let me say that I do understand your thinking and do see the logic in your position.  I agree that the "self defense" notion is rather stupid, and extremely dangerous, and I recognize that the idea of amring the masses to take on the army is totally unrealistic.  As Savador Allende quipped "how many masses does it take to stop a tank?"  The answer in Vietnam was millions or at least hundreds of thousands.  Sometimes the revolutionary in me gets the better of my judgement.

Written By: Bobby on 10/12/04 at 6:09 pm

To our Brit friends let me say that I do understand your thinking and do see the logic in your position.  I agree that the "self defense" notion is rather stupid, and extremely dangerous, and I recognize that the idea of amring the masses to take on the army is totally unrealistic.  As Savador Allende quipped "how many masses does it take to stop a tank?"  The answer in Vietnam was millions or at least hundreds of thousands.  Sometimes the revolutionary in me gets the better of my judgement.

Hmm! Thanks on the rethink, Carlos. We are a chilled out nation but we do not take kindly to have our perspectives (however 'blinkered' may they seem to you folks) belittled by some bloke that dismisses our reasonings by saying 'hey, it's England'. Regardless of your reasonings (it seems in Britain we don't need a second amendment to keep our limited liberty), fighting gun with gun in whatever situation only brings about more violence.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/04 at 6:23 pm

You'd starve otherwise obviously as it is compulsary to kill your own food!

Okay I just had to respond to this one, first off just look (especially at the dated seasons) at the hunting seasons and animals here in the state of Georgia (USA):

Deer
Archery (Either-Sex)

Primitive Weapons
(Either-Sex)

Firearms*
Northern Zone
Southern Zone
September 11 - October 8, Statewide

October 9-15, Statewide

October 16 - January 1
October 16 - January 9

Limit

12 per season, Statewide. No more than
10 may be antlerless and no more than 2
may be antlered. One (1) of the 2 antlered
deer must have at least 4 points, one inch or
longer, on one side of the antlers. In Hancock,
Harris, Meriwether, Montgomery, Randolph,
Talbot and Troup counties, only antlered
bucks with at least 4 points on either side are
legal. In Dooly and Macon counties, antlered
bucks must have a minimum 15-inch outside
spread.

2004-2005 Northern Zone Either Sex Map
2004-2005 Southern Zone Either Sex Map

A permit is required to legally hunt deer with dogs in the 41 counties where this opportunity is allowed during the open season.

* Firearms deer hunting is not allowed in Clayton, Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton (north of GA Hwy. 92), and that portion of Glynn county lying within Jekyll Island. In the portion of Forsyth county south of GA Hwy. 20, only shotguns and muzzleloaders may be used (no other firearms allowed).

Bear
Northern Zone:

Southern Zone:
Archery: September 11 - October 8
Primitive Weapons: October 9-15
Firearms: October 16 - November 21

Firearms: September 24-25; Oct. 1-2; Oct. 8-9

Limit:
1 per season, statewide. Killing of females with cubs
or killing of cubs under 75 pounds is prohibited.

Turkey
Statewide          March 26 - May 15, 2005
Limit 3 gobblers per season

Alligator
Zone & Quota Limited
September 11-26

Limit 1 per quota permit holder 

Crows
Statewide                    November 6 - February 28 
Limit No Limit

Dove
Statewide               

September 4-18
October 2-11
November 25 - January 8 
Limit 12 per day; 24 in possession

Fox & Bobcat
Statewide                  December 1 - February 28 
Limit No Limit

Grouse
Statewide                  October 15 - February 28
Limit 3 per day

Marsh Hens
Statewide                  September 25 - December 3
Limit 15 per day

Opossum
Statewide                  October 15 - February 28
Limit No Limit

Quail
Statewide                  November 13 - February 28
Limit 12 per day

Rabbit
Statewide                  November 13 - February 28
Limit 12 per day

Raccoon
Northern Zone

Southern Zone           
October 15 - February 28

October 15 - February 28
Limit
Northern Zone: 1 per day
Southern Zone: 3 per day

Squirrel
Statewide                  August 15 - February 28
Limit 12 per day

Woodcock
Statewide                  December 18 - January 16
Limit 3 per day 

--Now then the reason I post that is here in Georgia there is ALWAYS something to hunt and kill.  Now if I wanted to I could hunt at any time of the year, but the only thing I hunt is deer (with guns) on the very short time it is open.  If it was  ''compulsary to kill my own food'' wouldn't I be hunting year round and if not starving?  Deer is a special treat, and I enjoy going out in the woods.

Written By: Bobby on 10/12/04 at 6:28 pm

Lighten up GWBush!  ;D  ;D

Written By: philbo on 10/13/04 at 10:38 am

Deer
Archery (Either-Sex)

Cool... I've never seen a deer do archery before ;)

Primitive Weapons
(Either-Sex)

How does one tell the sex of a primitive weapon?  Sounds even more fun than deer doing archery

:)

Phil

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/04 at 11:17 am

Here in IL, it's illegal to keep something considered "wild" in captivity unless you're a licensed zoo or "game farm", etc.  There was just a case of a man who had found an injured fawn on his property and nursed it back to health and had raised it for something like 10 years (can't remember right now exactly how long, but it had been multiple years).  Someone called the authorities and they came and killed it as it's illegal.  This man had no plans to slaughter it, he was raising it as a pet.  So, I guess it all depends on where you live.

The deer my friend raises are fallow deer-they are smaller than your typical deer you find in wild. I'm not too sure if he needs a licence to raise them or not. We refer to him as the "Dear Deer Man" (because he is a dear.  ;))

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/04 at 3:40 pm

Here in IL, it's illegal to keep something considered "wild" in captivity unless you're a licensed zoo or "game farm", etc.  There was just a case of a man who had found an injured fawn on his property and nursed it back to health and had raised it for something like 10 years (can't remember right now exactly how long, but it had been multiple years).  Someone called the authorities and they came and killed it as it's illegal.  This man had no plans to slaughter it, he was raising it as a pet.  So, I guess it all depends on where you live.

I'm sure it depends on where you live.  Don't know the rules in VT, just that Cat's friend raises them.  This story is quite sad.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/13/04 at 4:25 pm

Cool... I've never seen a deer do archery before ;)

lmao...that'd be funny to watch, especially if the bullseye was an on a mans as$

I think some people need to take a chil pill.  saying that though, while he is in here studying like a good old student he isn't out shooting squirrels... boy they must be a hearty feast!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/13/04 at 5:48 pm

squirrels... boy they must be a hearty feast!

Thats probably why you're allowed to kill 12 per day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/04 at 6:30 pm

Nothin' like dining on Moose and Squirrel  :D

Actually, moose is really good. Never had squirrel.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 10/13/04 at 10:15 pm

I've had squirrel... it's very bony. Not very good if you ask me. I love me some venison though. I, in fact, just ate some Venison Shepherd's Pie... yummm! I haven't eaten Moose yet, but I want to . I also want to try rabbit or hare. Sounds good. I've got some elk in the old freezer, I'll be having that pretty soon.

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/13/04 at 10:39 pm

I like fried alligator.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/04 at 10:41 pm

I like fried alligator.  :)

Let me guess, it tastes just like chicken.  :D ;D

Cat

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/13/04 at 10:50 pm

Let me guess, it tastes just like chicken. :D ;D

Cat

Actually, kind of. Except, it's got more of a kick to it, like it is naturally more spicy.

I know fried alligator sounds odd, but if you have ate at as many resturaunts in Louisiana as I have, you'd understand.  :P

Written By: philbo on 10/14/04 at 5:16 am

I love me some venison though. I, in fact, just ate some Venison Shepherd's Pie... yummm! I haven't eaten Moose yet, but I want to . I also want to try rabbit or hare. Sounds good. I've got some elk in the old freezer, I'll be having that pretty soon.

I've had a chocolate moose... er, mousse ;)

Rabbit's kind of bony, so squirrel must be a game of hunt-the-meat (almost suitable for vegetarians ;)).  I always thought that elk was another word for moose, though.  Venison seems kind of variable: I've had really tough, chewy and harsh venison, but also sometimes absolutely delicious, though no idea why the difference (I don't even know if we're talking the same species or gender of deer, for example).

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/14/04 at 5:23 pm

I love venison (deer meat), and moose is good too.  The quality depends on how good the killing shot was.  A quick kill gives you more tender meat because less adrenilin is produced.  A wounded and then killed deer is pumping lots of it, ans that toughens the meat.

Check for new replies or respond here...