» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A true story about Hanoi Jane

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 10/12/04 at 7:58 pm

This is a great story and I'm not planning on forgetting this.

On America FM 100.7 (a local radio station) was doing one of their "Is
anyone listening" bits this morning. This one was, "Ever have a
celebrity pull the 'Do you know who I am' routine?"

A woman called in and said that a few years back, while visiting her
cattle ranch of her uncle in Billings, MT., they had occasion to go to
dinner at a restaurant that does not take reservations. The wait was
about 45 minutes. Lots of other rancher types and their spouses were
already waiting.

In comes Ted Turner and Jane Fonda. They want a table. The hostess says
they'll have to wait about 45 minutes. Jane Fonda asks the hostess if
she knows who she is.

"Yes, but you'll still have to wait 45 minutes."

Then Jane says, "Is the manager in?"

The manager comes out, "May I help you?"

"Do you know who I am?" ask both Jane and Ted.

"Yes, but these folks have all been waiting already and I can't put you
in ahead of them."

Then Ted asks to speak to the owner. The owner comes out.

Jane again asks, "Do you know who I am?"

The owner says, "Yes, I do. Do you know who I am? I am the owner of this
restaurant and a Vietnam Veteran. Not only will you not get a table
ahead of all of my friends and neighbors here, but you also will not be eating in my restaurant tonight or any other night. Good bye."

Only in America, what a great country!

The story left out one important part. The owner of the restaurant told
Ted Turner that he was a Vietnam Vet and that he (Ted) would be welcome
in his restaurant but Ted would have to get that witch traitor out of
his establishment because he would not serve her under any
circumstances.

Keep passing this on. We never forget the unprosecuted traitor!

And let's not forget what "our gal" Hillary said to the troops in Iraq!!
" This war has no support from the American public"
!!!!!

Sir Scott's Oasis Steakhouse
204 W Main MANHATTAN, MT 59741
(406) 284-6929

Subject: Re: A true story about Hanoi Jane

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/04 at 8:34 pm

This is a great story and I'm not planning on forgetting this.

On America FM 100.7 (a local radio station) was doing one of their "Is
anyone listening" bits this morning. This one was, "Ever have a
celebrity pull the 'Do you know who I am' routine?"

A woman called in and said that a few years back, while visiting her
cattle ran her uncle in Billings, MT., they had occasion to go to
dinner at a restaurant that does not take reservations. The wait was
about 45 minutes. Lots of other rancher types and their spouses were
already waiting.

In comes Ted Turner and Jane Fonda. They want a table. The hostess says
they'll have to wait about 45 minutes. Jane Fonda asks the hostess if
she knows who she is.

"Yes, but you'll still have to wait 45 minutes."

Then Jane says, "Is the manager in?"

The manager comes out, "May I help you?"

"Do you know who I am?" ask both Jane and Ted.

"Yes, but these folks have all been waiting already and I can't put you
in ahead of them."

Then Ted asks to speak to the owner. The owner comes out.

Jane again asks, "Do you know who I am?"

The owner says, "Yes, I do. Do you know who I am? I am the owner of this
restaurant and a Vietnam Veteran. Not only will you not get a table
ahead of all of my friends and neighbors here, but you also will not be>eating in my restaurant tonight or any other night. Good bye."

Only in America, what a great country!

The story left out one important part. The owner of the restaurant told
Ted Turner that he was a Vietnam Vet and that he (Ted) would be welcome
in his restaurant but Ted would have to get that b*tc* traitor out of
his establishment because he would not serve her under any
circumstances.

Keep passing this on. We never forget the unprosecuted traitor!

" This war has no support from the American public" !!!!!

Sir Scott's Oasis Steakhouse
204 W Main MANHATTAN, MT 59741
(406) 284-6929

It is a great story but it attacks Jane Fonda.  I don't think to many people take that bi*** seriously.  Please she did say she was sorry for what she said during the Vietnam war unlike democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.  So let me type out my favorite part from ''Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans speak out against John Kerry'' (I just finished the book, got it a week ago):

Animal Slaughter (pages 62-63 of Unfit for Command: Swift boat Veterans speak out against Kerry)

''George Bates, an officer in coastal division 11, participated in numerous operations with Kerry from January 1969 through March 1969.  In Bates's view Kerry was a coward who overreacted with deadly force to protect himself when he felt threatened.  Bates, a retired Navy captain, believed that Kerry treated the South Vietnamese in an almost cruel manner.

Bates us haunted by a particular patrol with Kerry on the Song Bo De River in the first part of 1969.  With Kerry in the lead, the boats approached a small hamlet with three to four grass huts.  Pigs and chickens were milling around peacefully.  As the boats drew closer, the villagers fled.  There was no political symbols or flags in evidence in the tiny village.  It was obvious to Bates that existing policies, decency, and good sense required the boats to simply move on. 

Instead Kerry beached his boat directly in the small settlement.  Upon his command, the numerous small animals were slaughtered by heavy-caliber machine guns.  Acting more like a pirate than a naval officer, Kerry disembarked and ran around with a Zippo lighter, burning up the entire hamlet.

Bates has never forgotten Kerry's actions and was appalled by the complete hypocrisy of Kerry's quick shift to the role of peace activist condemning war crimes upon his return.  Even today, Bates describes Kerry as a man without a conscience.''

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/04 at 8:40 pm

Why do you feel the need to call her out of her name? You can disagree with her view of things. But, calling her out of name is very unnecessary.

Tanya

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/04 at 8:47 pm

Why do you feel the need to call her out of her name? You can disagree with her view of things. But, calling her out of name is very unnecessary.

Tanya

It is a little petty, but it is not a big deal.  Same with my jokes about John Kerry and France.  Everyone jumped on me for that.

But do the liberals here ask why someone (I won't say the name but it starts with D) refuses to capitalize the name Bush?  Is that not petty and stupid?

Do the liberals here call out another certain somebody (I won't same the name again, but it also starts with a D) who calls President Bush ''Lil' Georgie'' and Cheney ''Chuuney''?

I ask why jokes like that do not get called out by the liberals here, but when we conservatives make a few Kerry-France jokes or call Fonda ''Hanoi Jane,'' well it is such a big deal, and we are so petty and shallow.  Again, in the words of John Stossel: ''give me a break!''

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 10/12/04 at 8:56 pm

Tanya
I don't feel the need, it was the story. I didn't write it. I have edited the name and am sorry if I offended anyone ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/12/04 at 9:25 pm

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/fonda.asp

interesting "story" that sounds sooooo real, it could have been in a Swift Boat Vets ad, or a Bush speech.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/12/04 at 9:30 pm

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/fonda.asp

interesting "story" that sounds sooooo real, it could have been in a Swift Boat Vets ad, or a Bush speech.

pwned

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/04 at 9:36 pm

I call all the politicians this and that. I'm very non-partisan when it comes to that!  ;) I guess when I see the word B@!ch to describe any woman i go for the jugular in defense of the woman.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/04 at 9:45 pm

I have a lot of sympathy for the Vietnam veterans who feel betrayed and disrespected.  I also know Jane Fonda was wrong to meet with the Viet Cong in Hanoi.  She was had NO business doing that, and there is plausible evidence that prisoners were indeed hurt by her actions.

Fonda had every right to speak her mind just as loud as she wanted anywhere else, but NOT in North Vietnam.

Kerry had every right to speak his mind on returning to the United States.  He did NOT meet with representatives from North Vietnam in Paris.  Didn't happen.  He did go to Paris at the time of the Peace Talks, but he was not part of them.  The Swift Boat jerks have no evidence that he met with them "in secret."  

However, for Vietnam vets to focus their wrath on Fonda and Kerry is a shuck.  It let's the U.S. government off the hook.  The government is the entity that really betrayed and disrespected the soldiers and veterans.  It wasn't Lt. Kerry or Jane Fonda who was responsible for escalating an unwinnable land war in asia.  It wasn't Lt. Kerry or Jane Fonda who conducted ordered criminal carpet bombing in Cambodia.  It wasn't Kerry or Fonda who withheld the truth of the deteriorating military strategy throughout the 1960s.  

Anybody who thinks Lt. William Calley is the only one who murdered at will hundreds of civilians is wearing historical blinders.  Kerry got out there and told Congress that which was too hard for many veterans to admit, the orders of the day were ransacking, burning, murder, and mayhem.

It doesn't dishonor veterans to tell the truth.  Most of them were terrified young men just hoping to survive the next 24 hours.  They did not commit atrocities in the wanton manner of marauding huns.  The committed atrocities because they were ordered to break a civilian political resistance, and the resistance was stronger than their guns.  Yet, they had to keep trying.  So their commanders said, "we had to destroy the village to save it!"  What do you think that meant?

Three decades later, Vietnam veterans still want what they can never have.  They want to be viewed as the unequivocally shining heroes their fathers who fought WWII are.  They want to feel certain their war was successful and their actions were the right ones, and they live with the torture that they can never have such certainty.

Thousands of vets still find some release in raging against "Hanoi Jane," the hippies, and the liberals.  They must understand this rage is fruitless and accept that they will have to die with their pain.

Now we have people like GWBush2004 and Bodacious Boy who didn't go to Vietnam jumping on the bandwagon, and bawling about "Hanoi Jane" and joining with the SBVT to spit at Kerry.  

It's ironic given your screen names.  The real GWBush didn't go to Vietnam, and the nickname "Bodacious Boy" might be a moniker used by one trying to get out of going to Vietnam!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/04 at 9:51 pm

I have a lot of sympathy for the Vietnam veterans who feel betrayed and disrespected.  I also know Jane Fonda was wrong to meet with the Viet Cong in Hanoi.  She was had NO business doing that, and there is plausible evidence that prisoners were indeed hurt by her actions.

Fonda had every right to speak her mind just as loud as she wanted anywhere else, but NOT in North Vietnam.

Kerry had every right to speak his mind on returning to the United States.  He did NOT meet with representatives from North Vietnam in Paris.  Didn't happen.  He did go to Paris at the time of the Peace Talks, but he was not part of them.  The Swift Boat jerks have no evidence that he met with them "in secret."  

However, for Vietnam vets to focus their wrath on Fonda and Kerry is a shuck.  It let's the U.S. government off the hook.  The government is the entity that really betrayed and disrespected the soldiers and veterans.  It wasn't Lt. Kerry or Jane Fonda who was responsible for escalating an unwinnable land war in asia.  It wasn't Lt. Kerry or Jane Fonda who conducted ordered criminal carpet bombing in Cambodia.  It wasn't Kerry or Fonda who withheld the truth of the deteriorating military strategy throughout the 1960s.  

Anybody who thinks Lt. William Calley is the only one who murdered at will hundreds of civilians is wearing historical blinders.  Kerry got out there and told Congress that which was too hard for many veterans to admit, the orders of the day were ransacking, burning, murder, and mayhem.

It doesn't dishonor veterans to tell the truth.  Most of them were terrified young men just hoping to survive the next 24 hours.  They did not commit atrocities in the wanton manner of marauding huns.  The committed atrocities because they were ordered to break a civilian political resistance, and the resistance was stronger than their guns.  Yet, they had to keep trying.  So their commanders said, "we had to destroy the village to save it!"  What do you think that meant?

Three decades later, Vietnam veterans still want what they can never have.  They want to be viewed as the unequivocally shining heroes their fathers who fought WWII are.  They want to feel certain their war was successful and their actions were the right ones, and they live with the torture that they can never have such certainty.

Thousands of vets still find some release in raging against "Hanoi Jane," the hippies, and the liberals.  They must understand this rage is fruitless and accept that they will have to die with their pain.

Now we have people like GWBush2004 and Bodacious Boy who didn't go to Vietnam jumping on the bandwagon, and bawling about "Hanoi Jane" and joining with the SBVT to spit at Kerry.  

It's ironic given your screen names.  The real GWBush didn't go to Vietnam, and the nickname "Bodacious Boy" might be a moniker used by one trying to get out of going to Vietnam!

Thats a nice speech and all but John Kerry did commit war crimes.  I still don't know why he hasn't gone to jail for it.  But today, a petition group collected enough signatures which it will submit on October 18th, 2004 to Richard Cheney and Bill Frist to try and knock Kerry out of the presidential elections.  And some are saying that their is a decent chance.  Also, if Kerry somehow wins, we could impeach him.  Anyway lets knock him out, and have a Bush vs. Nader race!

In fact here is the letter I got from them today (I got it because I signed the petition):

Dear Fellow Patriot,

The petition for indictment of John Kerry, for "giving aid and comfort
to the enemy," and, thus, to disqualify him for national office, has
reached its goal of more than 150,000 signatures. On Monday, 18
October, the petition will be delivered by registered courier to Vice
President Richard Cheney (in his capacity as Senate President), Senate
Majority Leader Bill Frist and Attorney General John Ashcroft today.

Though John Kerry has an extensive and well-documented record of anti-
American activities over the past three decades it is
his acts of treason in 1970-71 that are the subject of this petition
for indictment.  Our appeal notes both Kerry's violations of the UCMJ
(Article 104 part 904) and U.S. Code (18 USC Sec. 2381 and 18 USC Sec.
953), and calls for his disqualification for public office in
accordance with the Constitution's Fourteenth Amendment, Section 3,
which states: "No person shall be a Senator or Representative in
Congress, or elector of President and Vice- President ... having
previously taken an oath ... to support the Constitution of the United
States, engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the
same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof."

Why prosecute John Kerry now?

In October 2003, Mr. Kerry chose to make his Vietnam war record the
centerpiece of his campaign for the presidency; this has been
especially true since his primary victory in March 2004.  In response,
more than 165,000 signatories of the above-referenced petition for
indictment have made his war record the centerpiece of their campaign
to disqualify Kerry from public office.

We understand that no action is likely to be taken on this petition
until after the 02 November election. Be it known, however, that on 03
November, we will seek full recourse in an effort to have John Kerry
prosecuted for acts of treason and disqualified from any future
campaign for any national office. We are thus committed to holding Mr.
Kerry accountable for his actions, as there is no statute of
limitations for acts of treason.

Thank you for taking the time to sign this petition for indictment.
Rest assured that your voice will be heard.

--Also a newspaper did in article on in, if I can only find it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/04 at 10:07 pm

Thats a nice speech and all but John Kerry did commit war crimes.

That's a pretty heavy charge, and it's gonna be very hard to prove.  Are those boys ready to make the case?

I still don't know why he hasn't gone to jail for it. 
You don't?  Wager a guess.  I mean a good guess, not a John O'Neill hateful weenie guess!

But today, a petition group collected enough signatures which it will submit on October 16th, 2004 to Richard Cheney and Bill Frist to try and knock Kerry out of the presidential elections.  And some are saying that their is a decent chance.  Also, if Kerry somehow wins, we could impeach him.  Anyway lets knock him out, and have a Bush vs. Nader race!

What bunch of jokers is trying to pull that off?  Why bother with some phony petition?  Dip Cheney and co. are going to make sure Kerry never gets to the Oval Office under any circumstances.  They'll do the dirty work, the rest of you can just sit back and relax!

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 10/12/04 at 10:11 pm

Oh you LIBS! Let's only read and comment on what we want! What about your hero?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/04 at 10:13 pm

Oh you LIBS! Let's only read and comment on what we want! What about your hero?

What the heck do you want me to say about it?
::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/12/04 at 10:18 pm

What the heck do you want me to say about it?
::)
I'm with YOU, Max ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/04 at 10:37 pm

What bunch of jokers is trying to pull that off?  Why bother with some phony petition?  Dip Cheney and co. are going to make sure Kerry never gets to the Oval Office under any circumstances.  They'll do the dirty work, the rest of you can just sit back and relax!

I posted the letter, this is a serious group, a conservative one but dead serious on knocking Kerry out of the race, and the consititution is on with them on it.  They have all the information, I'm still trying to find the newspaper article on them.

I noticed no one responded to the Animal Slaughter charge I made on my first post in this thread.  George Bates tells all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/04 at 11:13 pm

I posted the letter, this is a serious group, a conservative one but dead serious on knocking Kerry out of the race, and the consititution is on with them on it.  They have all the information, I'm still trying to find the newspaper article on them.

I noticed no one responded to the Animal Slaughter charge I made on my first post in this thread.  George Bates tells all.

I'm not interested in George Bates.  It's all heresay.

Where does this petition come from again?  If it's so serious a conservative group, why not name it? 
Never trust any letter with the salutation "Dear Fellow Patriot."
:D

BTW, I think the Jane Fonda and the Montana Steakhouse story is a bunch of urban legend flapdoodle, but go on believing it if  it floats yer boat.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/04 at 6:00 am

I posted the letter, this is a serious group, a conservative one but dead serious on knocking Kerry out of the race, and the Constitution is on with them on it.  They have all the information, I'm still trying to find the newspaper article on them.

Is this the October bombshell that you spoke of in September.  If it is it is a risky strategy that could blow up in their faces(no pun intended).  This is where go to find out about the group circulating it....."D"

http://patriotpetitions.us/kerry/

Written By: conker on 10/13/04 at 11:15 am

Why is it when the 'right' in the US loses at the ballot box they try to use the courts, recalls, petitions etc to change the 'will of the people'.
Why not use the democratic process and get out there and change opinions, get your views/policies/ideas out there for the people to decide and vote on?

A petition to deny his candidacy?  Geez why not spend the energy on something constructive and try changing the system with the ballot box? or punch card or whatever it is you guys use?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/04 at 11:39 am

Why is it when the 'right' in the US loses at the ballot box they try to use the courts, recalls, petitions etc to change the 'will of the people'.
Why not use the democratic process and get out there and change opinions, get your views/policies/ideas out there for the people to decide and vote on?

A petition to deny his candidacy?  Geez why not spend the energy on something constructive and try changing the system with the ballot box? or punch card or whatever it is you guys use?

Hey, Conker, are you being ironic?  Did you know this is exactly what the Right has been saying about the Left for the past several years.
The Right spits on "legislating from the bench" and "judicial activism."  When Liberals do it, it's "judicial activism."  When conservatives do it, it's "upholding the true meaning of the Constitution."
In the case of that pathetic petition, I hear some desperation.  They can't stand the thought that Kerry might win so, in their cowardly ways, they are pulling this desperate attempt to get him thrown off the ballot.  That is one sorry sight.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/04 at 11:45 am

It is called "Dirty Politics" and unfortunately that is the only thing that some people know. In this country, it seems like it gets dirtier and dirtier. The problem is, they pull these dirty tricks under the radar so the American public are not aware of all that is going on. Also, these guys don't want to change the system because then they won't be able to play these dirty games. And I am not just talking about the Republicians-Democrats have had their share of dirty tricks also.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/13/04 at 12:06 pm

I didn't read the pathetic petition attempt, but are they trying to claim that Kerry commited war crimes, and that having committed crimes he's unfit to hold office? 

If George W. Bush wasn't elected, his DUI arrests alone would be enough to disqualify him from having ANY security clearance at alll, at any goverment contractor in the country.  Yet these "patriots" somehow think that's ok, but what happened (or is rumoured to have happened) during a war, is somehow more relevant.  I don't consider a DUI at age 30 to be a youthful incident either, most people when they hit 30 have a home, wife, kids and a solid job.  If you're not responsible by that point in your life, it's pretty unlikely you'll ever be responsible.

If George W performs as well tonight as he did during the first debate, I guess this is the only hope they have of winning the election.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/04 at 1:40 pm

As I read the petition they are claiming that by testifying and protesting after he got back he was giving aid and comfort to the enemy.  He11, if thats the case, hundreds of thousands are also guilty.  What a crock!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/04 at 2:12 pm

As I read the petition they are claiming that by testifying and protesting after he got back he was giving aid and comfort to the enemy.  He11, if thats the case, hundreds of thousands are also guilty.  What a crock!

That's right NOBODY committed atrocities in Vietnam EXCEPT John Kerry (following Hannity logic).  Oh, and Lt. Calley committed atrocities, too, but that's it, Kerry and Calley.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/13/04 at 2:31 pm

I'd say Bush has been doing the same for Al Qaeda in Saudia Arabia by not going after the country that provided most of the 9-11 hijackers.  Yet another case of the old "double-standard" in action.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/04 at 3:33 pm

I'd say Bush has been doing the same for Al Qaeda in Saudia Arabia by not going after the country that provided most of the 9-11 hijackers.  Yet another case of the old "double-standard" in action.

I agree.  I would also label cutting combat pay for the troops, and veterans' benifits comes danf close to treason as well.

Written By: McDonald on 10/13/04 at 4:33 pm

Yeah, and you're seriously someone who belongs making accusations of responding to some points but not others... right? What do you want people to say about it?... Do you have any proof of these so-called atrocities committed by Kerry or are you just quoting a bunch of other people who don't have any proof? Either way, your claims are unsubstantiated. And your "Unfit for Command" excerpt... since there are not any citations made therein, it looks to me like a lot of he-said-she said... Show us the evidence.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 10/13/04 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for posting the urban legend comment Chucky! LOL

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/04 at 6:38 pm

Y'know it does get so old and tired.  Jane was 35 years ago, most of you guys aren't even old enough to
remember this stuff.  Rehashing it is about as lame as if I was to go on and on about Prescott Bush,
or Ron Reagan and the HUA. You don't forget it, but you get past the incessant rehashing.  Give us, and
yourselves a brake.

Written By: dude on 10/14/04 at 4:01 am

Y'know it does get so old and tired.  Jane was 35 years ago, most of you guys aren't even old enough to
remember this stuff.  Rehashing it is about as lame as if I was to go on and on about Prescott Bush,
or Ron Reagan and the HUA. You don't forget it, but you get past the incessant rehashing.  Give us, and
yourselves a brake.
Great point Danoota........this is the one thing that irks the H3LL out of me whenever the Nam issue is brought up. Half of the people doing the downgrading of John Kerry's military service have were either not even born yet, or were too young to remember the climate of the country and how much courage it took for the guys that were over there to come back and stand up to the American military industrial complex by letting the American public know the TRUTH about what was going on over there. And believe you me, John Kerry wasn't the ONLY Nam vet protesting what has proven to have been an unjust, unwinnable, farce of a war. It isn't coincidence that every one.........EVERY ONE,of the men that served directly under John Kerry are 100% behind him and will tell anyone who listens that he was nothing, if not a courageous, moral soldier who they were proud to call their brother. The one, unarguable fact that stands out above all of this BS, is that John Kerry ENLISTED to serve in Viet Nam and that George Bush used his family's wealth and political contacts to keep him as far AWAY from the jungles as he could possibly get..............and he couldn't even handle that cakewalk duty that he was handed on a silver platter! AMAZING!

Written By: Satish on 10/15/04 at 1:42 am

Heck, I've even had a pseudo-celebrity do it to me trying to get a "good time". 

Oh, I sense some interesting gossip, here. Care to reveal more details? Come on, you can tell us.  ;) Our lives are so boring, we could use the excitement!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/15/04 at 3:38 pm

Great point Danoota........this is the one thing that irks the H3LL out of me whenever the Nam issue is brought up. Half of the people doing the downgrading of John Kerry's military service have were either not even born yet, or were too young to remember the climate of the country and how much courage it took for the guys that were over there to come back and stand up to the American military industrial complex by letting the American public know the TRUTH about what was going on over there. And believe you me, John Kerry wasn't the ONLY Nam vet protesting what has proven to have been an unjust, unwinnable, farce of a war. It isn't coincidence that every one.........EVERY ONE,of the men that served directly under John Kerry are 100% behind him and will tell anyone who listens that he was nothing, if not a courageous, moral soldier who they were proud to call their brother. The one, unarguable fact that stands out above all of this BS, is that John Kerry ENLISTED to serve in Viet Nam and that George Bush used his family's wealth and political contacts to keep him as far AWAY from the jungles as he could possibly get..............and he couldn't even handle that cakewalk duty that he was handed on a silver platter! AMAZING!

At the risk of offending some people here I am going to defend "Hanoi Jane".  First off, hundreds of thousands of people opposed the Vietnam wart (war), just as hundreds of thousands oppose this one, and they are NOT traitors.  Remember, what OUR government does, it does in our names.  The first amendmant, and a moral compass compel those of us who oppose gov't policy to say so as vociferously as possible, because to abstain is to accede.  Free speech is meaningless unless it is the right to disagree.  Jane Fonda expressed her disagreement in stronger ways that most of the rest of us could, and more power to her.  "I was just following orders" is NOT an excuse for an immoral war or for committing atrocities.

Check for new replies or respond here...