» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bill O'Reilly in a little hot water

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/13/04 at 4:18 pm

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1013043mackris1.html

Unfair and unhinged... he really has it in for Al Franken.  If he doesn't own a tinfoil cap, he probably should invest in a few.  Reminds me a little of Marv Albert.

Subject: Re: Bill O'Reilly in a little hot water

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 4:24 pm

I knew he was off his rocker! If this is true, he has issues!  >:(

Tanya

Written By: Jessica on 10/13/04 at 4:57 pm

Not to be totally evil or anything, but O'Reilly sounds like a man who thinks the woman's place is in the home and if she isn't, then she's fair game. And that's just from reading #42 on page 9. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/04 at 6:33 pm

I didn't read the whole complaint, but I salivate at the thought of O'Reilly finally getting "his."  On the other hand, I'm skeptical.  O'Reilly knows, at least I thought he knew, there are thousands of O'Reilly haters out there actively watching for a way to "get" him.  It would be EXTREMELY stupid of him to impose lewd talk and sexual pressures upon a female subordinate.  I would think he'd always be worried about some woman concocting sexual harrassment charges against him. 

Other powerful men on the Right take extreme measures.  The Reverend Franklin Graham won't be alone with a woman.  He won't even ride alone in an elevator with a woman.  He remembers what happened to Bakker and Swaggart.  The stage is set and the Graham, as a famous evangelist, would have his reputation trashed before he got his name cleared.

Remember what happened to Clarence Thomas?  I believed Anita Hill, though she didn't show any detriment to her career as a result of Thomas's gross talk.  Nonetheless, Thomas went through weeks of public scrutiny--not that he didn't deserve it.

If O'Reilly did the things this woman's complaint alleges, he really does have a few screws loose.  He's drunk on ego and power, and cannot exercise enough judgment to keep his career out of hot water.
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/04 at 6:35 pm

Hmmmm. Well, isn't that interesting. Me thinkest the plot thickens.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 9:36 pm

O'Reilly I cannot justify if he cut people down...and was a bore,
but I'll be a fan of Michaels movie....Never-Moore :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 10/14/04 at 6:26 am

O'Reilly I cannot justify if he cut people down...and was a bore,
but I'll be a fan of Michaels movie....Never-Moore :-

Micheal Moore?  how did he end up here?  To go on to the question,  having grown older and hopefully wiser, I would like to see the proof of this.  I am in not, in any way, a fan of O'Reilly, but the complaint is that there were phone sex conversations.  Although, of course that would include broader implications on the job, but, it is easy to record these, or hang up.
It seems she left her job to go to CNN, but came back stipulating that she would not tolerate this kind of behavior  She has to be very savvy to be in the position she is in and presumably would be prepared to protect herself against any further harassment.  If she can prove it, well I say go for the jugular.  If she can't she has done a disservice to all of us and should be prosecuted accordingly.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/14/04 at 4:54 pm

Just Michael Moore?  Why not drag Bill Clkinton and Barbara Strisand into this?  If these allegations are true, the slime bucket should be punished.  If not, he should be vindicated, but lets keep to the issue.

Written By: Satish on 10/15/04 at 1:30 am

It looks like O'Reilly might be innocent of the charges, though, since the woman's story seems suspicious.

From this site:

http://www.newscourt.com/

WHERE ANDREA MACKRIS GOES 'HARRASSMENT' FOLLOWS: LAST BOSS AT CNN CANNED, NOW IT'S O'REILLY'S TURN

and from this site:

http://www.bootsandsabers.com/

Bill O’Reilly has been hit with a sexual harassment suit. I’m not a fan of Bill O’Reilly.  I find him obnoxious.  But this lawsuit is crap. 

The plaintiff, Andrea Mackris, was employed with Fox News from April 200 through January 2004, and then again from July 6th, 2004, through present.  She is claiming that she was sexually harassed throughout her employment.  Here’s the thing: if she was being sexually harassed, then why did she return to work 3 months ago after leaving her job?  If the conditions of her employment were so deplorable that she felt the need to sue her employers, then why did stay there for 4 years, leave, and then come back???

I suspect that Andrea Mackris has an ulterior motive.  It may be as simple as she wants a huge payout and she thinks that Fox News will be more protective of its image in this election year, or there may be something more.  In any case, I think that O’Reilly is innocent.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/04 at 1:47 am

QUESTION:

Why didn't this happen to Bill Moyers or Phil Donahue?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/04 at 12:29 pm

This was in today's newspaper.

O'Reilly complains about coverage of sex scandal

October 15, 2004

By ADAM NICHOLS New York Daily News

NEW YORK — TV host Bill O'Reilly said he suffered "the worst day of my life" Thursday after being thrust into a sleazy sex scandal — one so explosive, it has forced the talk-show loudmouth into silence.

"I have been advised to keep my big mouth shut, and I have promised to do that," O'Reilly told the New York Daily News from his Fox News studio Thursday.

But he didn't.

"This has been the worst day of my life," O'Reilly said. "I am getting hounded by the press, and I knew I would be. I knew that they were going to kill me, but what am I going to do?"

O'Reilly, 55, was accused Wednesday of making "disgusting" phone calls and remarks to Andrea Mackris, 33, an associate producer on the popular Fox show "The O'Reilly Factor."

Hours before Mackris sued him, O'Reilly, a married father of two who lives on Long Island, struck the first blow — filing his own lawsuit claiming that Mackris and her lawyer, Benedict Morelli, tried to extort $60 million from him and Fox News to buy her silence.

And he used the airwaves to tell his 3 million viewers, "These people picked the wrong guy."

But neither Morelli nor Mackris was backing down Thursday.

"This is a man who went on TV and said, 'They don't know what kind of guy they're messing with.' When somebody says something like that, I take it as a threat against me, my family, my client and her family," Morelli said.

He then raised the stakes, suggesting the scandal could destroy O'Reilly's career.

"They have made it personal. When this case is dismissed, not only are they going to be embarrassed, but they are going to see who is left standing. I think this can bring O'Reilly down."

Mackris claimed O'Reilly, a best-selling author, started making sexual comments to her after she split with her fiance in 2001. The situation worsened after she returned to Fox following a brief stint working for CNN earlier this year, she said.

Closely guarded by her lawyer, Mackris appeared on NBC's "Today" show and ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday.

"I felt extremely threatened for many reasons," she said.

"There were definitely threats. It crossed the line when I … came back (to Fox) in July. It went much further than it ever had.

"The language was ratcheted up. He pushed the boundaries further and further from what I had already established. I came back because he agreed to not ever talk to me that way again."

Her lawyer said, "She really didn't feel she had to do something until she returned from CNN. It started in 2002, but when she returned from CNN it started crossing the line, and it wasn't until then she said, 'My God, I have got to do something about it.'''

O'Reilly's alleged remarks included telling Mackris she should use a vibrator and regaling her with tales of threesomes with Swedish stewardesses and stories of his "amazing" endowment.

Mackris claims he made three lewd phone calls to her since August in which he described fantasies involving her and sex acts he would perform on her.

She said he was clearly pleasuring himself as he spoke.

When Mackris pointed out to O'Reilly that he was her boss, she claims he replied, "You just have to suspend that."

O'Reilly characterized Mackris' allegations as "outrageous and I've got to take action. I don't know what (Mackris) is talking about."

Asked what his wife thinks of the accusations, O'Reilly said, "We don't talk about any of this. It's nothing to do with me — it's with the lawyers."

O'Reilly's lawyer, Ronald Green, said Wednesday he intended to file papers demanding that evidence — including possible tape recordings of the alleged sex calls — be made public. He was unavailable for comment Thursday.

Morelli refused to confirm whether he had tape recordings, saying only, "We have concrete and unrefutable evidence that (O'Reilly) did it."

The scandal apparently has had no effect on O'Reilly's syndicated newspaper column, featured in 300 publications, including the Daily News. None had canceled by Thursday night, said the syndicate's president, Rick Newcombe.

And O'Reilly said his program was being broadcast every weeknight as usual

I find it interesting that he is complaining that reporters are all over him about this-if it was someone else, he would be all over them. What goes around, comes around.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/04 at 1:51 pm

I don't respect Mackris either.  You graduate from Columbia journalism school and then wh@re yourself out to Fox News, which isn't journalism, but showbiz, you've obviously got vain and egotistical priorities.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/15/04 at 3:11 pm

My guess is that he did it, and I hope he goes down for it, regardless of who she is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/04 at 5:15 pm

My guess is that he did it, and I hope he goes down for it, regardless of who she is.

I despise the guy, but I'm not so sure this is as clear cut a case as it appears.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 8:13 pm

I despise the guy, but I'm not so sure this is as clear cut a case as it appears.

that's the problem with these things, they're never as cut and dry as they seem.  It's all he said, she said stuff.  Of course, that kind of thing also helps creeps to continue abusive pattern.  It sounds like she has at least one witness to an incident, and it also sounds like there's a recording as well.  If so, it probably won't be hard to convince the media (except maybe for the Free Republic/Newsmax crowd), even if they don't convince the jury.  The interesting thing about these right wing pundits (and yes, he's right wing no matter what he says), is that their flock will continue to follow them no matter what happens.  If someone in the traditional media did the stuff these guys have done, they'd be gone for good with little outcry.  Good ol' double standard in action.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/04 at 10:42 pm

that's the problem with these things, they're never as cut and dry as they seem.  It's all he said, she said stuff.  Of course, that kind of thing also helps creeps to continue abusive pattern.  It sounds like she has at least one witness to an incident, and it also sounds like there's a recording as well.  If so, it probably won't be hard to convince the media (except maybe for the Free Republic/Newsmax crowd), even if they don't convince the jury.  The interesting thing about these right wing pundits (and yes, he's right wing no matter what he says), is that their flock will continue to follow them no matter what happens.  If someone in the traditional media did the stuff these guys have done, they'd be gone for good with little outcry.  Good ol' double standard in action.

I wouldn't mind seeing O'Reilly's career go up in flames.  He's a big enough a-hole to deserve it.  Those who followed Rush certainly didn't want to eat crow and say, "yeah, we were wrong he's dope addict and a hypocrit."  The same will hold true for O'Reilly.  It'll be just deserts for Fox News to have to deal with a lurid sex scandal by their luminary.  They were the network that cut their teeth on courting all the Clinton haters.

Written By: Hairspray on 10/16/04 at 12:22 pm

I watched him in an interview a couple of days ago. O'Reilly hasn't denied the accusations. He's basically mostly spoken about his counter suit alleging extortion. He claims he's not concerned as to whether or not his career is over because of this accusation, because it will undeniably be affected no matter what the outcome. He just claims he's going to take a stand.

I'm not sure who to believe nor do I really care. The world of celebrity is too superficial and has absolutely no consequence in my life.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/04 at 2:20 pm

I'm not sure who to believe nor do I really care. The world of celebrity is too superficial and has absolutely no consequence in my life.

Yes, yes, but isn't nice to see the high and mighty hypocrits get torn down?

Written By: Hairspray on 10/16/04 at 2:53 pm

Yes, yes, but isn't nice to see the high and mighty hypocrits get torn down?

If it were a more consequential high and mighty hypocrit like, say, George W. Bush, then yeah.

In comparison, O'Reilly's nothing.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/04 at 4:11 pm

If it were a more consequential high and mighty hypocrit like, say, George W. Bush, then yeah.

In comparison, O'Reilly's nothing.

We seem to agree much more than we disagree.  Somewhere in west Texas a village is missing its idiot, let him return to it soon.

Check for new replies or respond here...