» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: More Swift Boat stuff... as if this crap hasn't gone on long enough already

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 1:10 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Vote2004/story?id=166434&page=1

Back in Tran Thoi, villager Nguyen Van Khoai said that about six months ago he was visited by an American who described himself as a Swift boat veteran and told him another American from the Swift boats was running for president of the United States. Nguyen said the man was accompanied by a cameraman.

"They say he didn't do anything to deserve the medal," Nguyen said. "The other day, they came and asked me the questions and I said that the recognition for the medal is up to the U.S.A."

He said that, after they met, the Swift Boat veteran and the cameraman turned around and went back down the river. "Nightline" has not been able to identify the men.

this was a comment from someone on metafilter:

Koppel kept trying to ask O'Neill why peasants in a tiny little hamlet would lie about someone worlds away - I mean what do they gain from doing that? But O'Neill kept bringing up the non-sequitur about "How dare you go into a 'closed society' and ask questions when we have the testimony from the fine soldiers, Kerry's book and the Boston Globe book." Which is another matter all together. O'Neill refused to answer Koppel's question of which "Swift Vote Vet" went over there to interview the people.

the Swifties sent people over there 6 months ago and filmed interviews with the locals. When they didn't get the dirt they wanted, and instead got recollections that fit both the after action report and the medal citation, they just buried their information. Think about that - they documented interviews of primary sources which didn't fit their narrative, and then threw it away. And then lied about it. Then when Koppel asked O'Neill about it, he got all indignant about going over and interviewing these peasants.

When Michael Moore doesn't use information to bolster the other side's argument, he defends it.  When these "swift boat vets" do it, they deny it.

Subject: Re: More Swift Boat stuff... as if this crap hasn't gone on long enough already

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/04 at 1:34 pm

It seems like there is a lot of that going around-deny, deny, deny-especially when the facts are presented that states otherwise. I find it very interesting that these people also with others can present their case (even though they have nothing to back up their claims) but other people, like Michael Moore, Moveon.Org and other people who HAVE evidence to back up their claims, are called "nutcases" or that NASTY word LIBERAL. Once again, the double standards rears it ugly head.

Cat

Subject: Re: More Swift Boat stuff... as if this crap hasn't gone on long enough already

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/04 at 1:47 pm

The Swifties conspiracy is heartfelt, but deceptive.  I posted a statement in another thread regarding the psychological damage done to Vietnam veterans by having the war they fought in called "no good."  They feel betrayed and scorned and they want the unequivocal respect veterans of our previous wars have.  Furthermore, they want reassurance their actions were just and righteous.  They can never get what they need, but that doesn't stop them from needing it.  I would never understimate the power of the psychological damage.
If Kerry becomes President, the anti-war crowd is vindicated, and the negative judgment on Vietnam is affirmed.  At least, that's what I think the Swifties fear.  Thus, they'll do anything to prevent Kerry from winning the election.
For O'Neill himself, a Kerry victory is the final defeat in 35 year grudge.  You can almost smell the desperation two weeks from election day.

Telling lies about Kerry's actions is a small price to pay to save the honor of Vietnam veterans for the rest of history.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/04 at 1:56 pm

The Swifties conspiracy is heartfelt, but deceptive.  I posted a statement in another thread regarding the psychological damage done to Vietnam veterans by having the war they fought in called "no good."  They feel betrayed and scorned and they want the unequivocal respect veterans of our previous wars have.  Furthermore, they want reassurance their actions were just and righteous.  They can never get what they need, but that doesn't stop them from needing it.  I would never understimate the power of the psychological damage.
If Kerry becomes President, the anti-war crowd is vindicated, and the negative judgment on Vietnam is affirmed.  At least, that's what I think the Swifties fear.  Thus, they'll do anything to prevent Kerry from winning the election.
For O'Neill himself, a Kerry victory is the final defeat in 35 year grudge.  You can almost smell the desperation two weeks from election day.

Telling lies about Kerry's actions is a small price to pay to save the honor of Vietnam veterans for the rest of history.

Interesting anayisis, Max. You may be right.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/15/04 at 2:50 pm

Interesting anayisis, Max. You may be right.

Cat

I'm almost certain Max is right. 

Check for new replies or respond here...