» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Moore's Pre-Election TV Special Nixed

Written By: Hairspray on 10/16/04 at 2:47 pm

? ? ?

Moore's pre-election TV special nixed

NEW YORK — A cable pay-per-view company has decided not to show a three-hour election eve special with filmmaker Michael Moore that included a showing of his documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is sharply critical of President Bush.

The company, iN DEMAND, said Friday that its decision is due to "legitimate business and legal concerns." A spokesman would not elaborate.

Michael Moore said he signed a contract with iN DEMAND in early September and is considering legal action. 

Moore has just released his movie on DVD and was seeking a TV outlet for the film.

Earlier this week, trade publications said Moore was close to a deal with iN DEMAND for "The Michael Moore Pre-Election Special," which also would include interviews with politically active celebrities and admonitions to vote. The Nov. 1 special was to be available for $9.95.

Moore said Friday he signed a contract with the company in early September and is considering legal action. He said he believes iN DEMAND decided not to air the film because of pressure from "top Republican people."

"Apparently people have put pressure on them and they've broken a contract," Moore told The Associated Press.

"We've informed them of their legal responsibility and we all informed them that every corporate executive that has attempted to prohibit Americans from seeing this film has failed," Moore said. "There's been one struggle or another over this, but we've always come out on top because you can't tell Americans they can't watch this."

The New York-based iN DEMAND, owned by the Time Warner, Cox and Comcast cable companies, makes pay-per-view programming available in 28 million homes, or about one-quarter of the nation's homes with television.

In a statement, iN DEMAND said any legal action Moore might take against the company would be "entirely baseless and groundless."

This spring, Moore did battle with the Walt Disney Co., which refused to release "Fahrenheit 9/11" through its Miramax Films because it was too politically partisan for the company's taste.

Moore found other distributors. The movie, which attacks Bush's handling of the war on terrorists and war in Iraq and the Bush family's ties to Saudi royalty, earned more than $100 million at the box office.

In an interview with a Maine television station that aired this week, former President George H.W. Bush called Moore a "slimeball" and an * expletive.

Also Friday, Moore offered to let Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. air the movie for free. Such a deal would likely get a chilly reception at Sinclair, a broadcaster with a reputation for conservative politics that plans to air a critical documentary about John Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities on dozens of TV stations two weeks before the election.

* expletive = bad word/profanity

Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/2004-10-16-moore-film-nixed_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Subject: Re: Moore's Pre-Election TV Special Nixed

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/04 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Spray, I read about this.  I just hope the "Equal Time" rule will be applied here, although I guess that if forced to air 9/11, which we just saw the other night, and was brilliantly done but old hat, they would air it at 2am or some such.

Written By: MooRocca on 10/16/04 at 6:12 pm

If it was an agenda and not a product he was marketing, he would make it available online via free download or free streaming video for (at least) the 48 hours preceding the opening of the first polls in the US. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/16/04 at 11:22 pm

I'm glad..it's no different than Babs championing that piece of crap about Reagan ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/04 at 12:00 am

I'm glad..it's no different than Babs caning that piece of crap  Reagan ::)

The bosses are not happy with Michael Moore.

Can't you see they're on the side of the working man?  The Sinclaire broadcast is FREE, Michael Moore wanted to charge the hard working, self-sacrificing, salt-of-the-Earth Middle Americans ten bucks to see his TV special!

Written By: Hairspray on 10/17/04 at 10:14 am

The Sinclaire broadcast is FREE, Michael Moore wanted to charge the hard working, self-sacrificing, salt-of-the-Earth Middle Americans ten bucks to see his TV special!

That last line was about his cable deal done some time ago. The price for the showing is much less than the typical rate.

This quote below from my original post will cover an important clarification:

Also Friday, Moore offered to let Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. air the movie for free.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 10:27 am

The bosses are not happy with Michael Moore.

Can't you see they're on the side of the working man?  The Sinclaire broadcast is FREE, Michael Moore wanted to charge the hard working, self-sacrificing, salt-of-the-Earth Middle Americans ten bucks to see his TV special!
Well then...I won't be buying gas at Sinclair AND I have yet another reason to dislike Mikey boy :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/17/04 at 1:24 pm

Well then...I won't be buying gas at Sinclair AND I have yet another reason to dislike Mikey boy :D

I'm confused RRF,, who is Mikey boy?

Written By: Davester on 10/17/04 at 1:42 pm

Well then...I won't be buying gas at Sinclair

Sinclair Oil Corporation and Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. have nothing to do with each other.

AND I have yet another reason to dislike Mikey boy :D

Um, is it because he was going to charge the upstanding working-stiffs to view the TV special?  I mean, what do you care?  Your disdain for Mikey is legendary at Decades...

Written By: MooRocca on 10/17/04 at 2:38 pm

Michael Moore wanted to charge the hard working, self-sacrificing, salt-of-the-Earth Middle Americans ten bucks to see his TV special!

Yeah... how dare he try to make money?  What does he think this is?  A capitalist society?  Lousy subversive. 

;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 3:09 pm

I'm confused RRF,, who is Mikey boy?

Sorry, I meant Mr. Moore....I also now know that Sinclair Oil is not the same as Sinclair Broadcast group! Sorry guys....I'll just be happy the day after November 2nd.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 3:11 pm

Sinclair Oil Corporation and Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. have nothing to do with each other.

Um, is it because he was going to charge the upstanding working-stiffs to view the TV special?  I mean, what do you care?  Your disdain for Mikey is legendary at Decades...

I actually don't buy thier crappy gas anyway so, no biggie. As for my "Legendary" disdain? It's only equaled by the disdain for Bush...but thanks!

Check for new replies or respond here...