» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Ludicrous discrimination prevalent in today's culture

Written By: JFK-2004 on 10/17/04 at 5:12 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I am greatly appaled at the proliferation of unfounded hatred toward certain groups in society today.  I'm specifically referring to that directed toward persons of alternative lifestyles and those with mental disabilities such as mental retardation and autism.  Despite the fact that I have never had any personal experience with any of these conditions, I am absolutely disgusted whenever I hear disparaging comments directed at ANY group having an affliction beyond their control.  I don't feel the need to ostracize certain people just to bolster my self-esteem, and it is beyond my understanding how anyone else can.

What is your opinion regarding such emotional and physical abuses?  I am only 18, so I have to admit I really don't know how common they were in times prior to my gaining of social consciousness.  All I'm saying is it certainly seems an untolerable amount of such hatred exists and is allowed to continue to exist today.

Subject: Re: Ludicrous discrimination prevalent in today's culture

Written By: Bobby on 10/17/04 at 5:35 pm

Unfortunately JFK, life has always been like that. Consider England in olden times when the mentally ill (to whatever degree) were placed in the St Mary of Bethlehem Hospital in London where they were often locked in chains and regularly visited by crowds in freak show fashion. Of course, this hospital is where we get the term 'bedlam' from.

It's not right and we have far to go but at least we have come a long way since these times.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/04 at 5:51 pm

As bad as it is now it has gotten better.  The past 25 years have been almost a miracle.  I can
remember when I was young there were people on my street who would not talk to a woman
on our street, because she had epilepsy.  My mother, being one of those people who considered
the world her family and never thought bad of anyone, was the only one who would have her in
for tea, some of the neighbors were appalled.  A few years ago I ran into her son who thanked
me and my family for being nice to her and said how much his mother appreciated my mothers
kindness.  My mother never saw it as kindness, she liked the woman.  To treat someone like
that now for epilepsy is considered ludicrous.  In those days it was common. You just have to change peoples minds, one at a time, through example.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/04 at 6:01 pm

As bad as it is now it has gotten better.  The past 25 years have been almost a miracle.  I can
remember when I was young there were people on my street who would not talk to a woman
on our street, because she had epilepsy.  My mother, being one of those people who considered
the world her family and never thought bad of anyone, was the only one who would have her in
for tea, some of the neighbors were appalled.  A few years ago I ran into her son who thanked
me and my family for being nice to her and said how much his mother appreciated my mothers
kindness.  My mother never saw it as kindness, she liked the woman.  To treat someone like
that now for epilepsy is considered ludicrous.  In those days it was common. You just have to change peoples minds, one at a time, through example.

One of my best friends is an epilepic. I first met her when I was in high school and she told me that she had epilepsy. I had no idea what it was and she told me about it. So, the first time I was with her when she had a seizure, I understood what was going on-not saying that I really knew what to do.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/04 at 6:06 pm

I agree, JFK, I have struggled with debilitating depression my whole life.  I've been turned down for insurance for having this "pre-existing condition."  People treat like you're a slacker who doesn't try hard enough.

The discrimination endured by mentally retarded citizens and those with severe psychiatric illnesses is just depraved!

True, as Philbo points out, we've com a long way since Bedlam...at least in our attitudes.  Unfortunately, we are slouching back toward the 18th centure when we use prisons as the main custodial institution for the mentally ill.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/17/04 at 6:09 pm

True, as Philbo points out, we've com a long way since Bedlam...

When did Philbo say that?

Written By: Bobby on 10/17/04 at 6:10 pm

True, as Philbo points out, we've com a long way since Bedlam...at least in our attitudes.  Unfortunately, we are slouching back toward the 18th centure when we use prisons as the main custodial institution for the mentally ill.

Thanks Max.   ::)  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 6:14 pm

I have also suffered from depression....I was diagnosed in 1997. I didn't have a great time with zoloft so I don't take it or anything else. I also worked closely with the mentally challenged at Goodwill industries for years. My son Paul had the opportunity to work with some wonderful kids during his last year of school and Blaine, bless his heart, used to read to a handicapped girl every day in his last year of school. It's just plain mean and sick how people ridicule others for not being like them >:(

Written By: Bobby on 10/17/04 at 7:30 pm

I have also suffered from depression....I was diagnosed in 1997. I didn't have a great time with zoloft so I don't take it or anything else. I also worked closely with the mentally challenged at Goodwill industries for years. My son Paul had the opportunity to work with some wonderful kids during his last year of school and Blaine, bless his heart, used to read to a handicapped girl every day in his last year of school. It's just plain mean and sick how people ridicule others for not being like them >:(

If you don't mind me asking, RockandRollFan, how did you get depression? With me, it was just circumstances beyond my control that were affecting me and, of course, this is a matter that started/took root in childhood and got worse. Interestingly, I didn't get ridicule when diagnosed with depression in 1998 but was so frustrated because nobody understood how I felt and why I was so viciously cynical and pessimistic. Now I realise I should not have expected them to.

It is wonderful that your children treated people in need the way they have done. Well done for helping them to achieve this. My mother used to send me to a physically/mentally handicapped playgroup (despite not being handicapped).  It reduced any amount of stigma I ever had of handicapped people.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/17/04 at 9:08 pm

Well, we have something in common again, Mark. I suffer from untreated depression. I don't know if it's from untreated depression or if it's genetic (my father's a diagnosed manic-depressive). It affects almost everything I do. Sometimes I am fine, sometimes I can become sad or easily angered. I'm trying to figure out how to get treated (my dh's insurance isn't the best), so I'm seeking other means. Music has always been there for me at least. So, I'm happy about that!

I think treatment of such individuals has been better, but, of course, improvements are best!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 9:19 pm

If you don't mind me asking, RockandRollFan, how did you get depression? With me, it was just circumstances beyond my control that were affecting me and, of course, this is a matter that started/took root in childhood and got worse. Interestingly, I didn't get ridicule when diagnosed with depression in 1998 but was so frustrated because nobody understood how I felt and why I was so viciously cynical and pessimistic. Now I realise I should not have expected them to.

It is wonderful that your children treated people in need the way they have done. Well done for helping them to achieve this. My mother used to send me to a physically/mentally handicapped playgroup (despite not being handicapped).  It reduced any amount of stigma I ever had of handicapped people.
I don't mind at all, Bobby! I have spent most of my life feeling like crap about myself :-\\ I blame myself for my marraige breaking up, and I USED to blame myself for Blaines death..but I realize he would've worked no matter what....he was that kind of person. ANYWAY....My Aunt, who died of a brian aneurysm in 1984, had depression her whole life and was on Lithium. I just muddle through and try my best to be happy.....Are you sorry you asked :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 9:31 pm

Well, we have something in common again, Mark. I suffer from untreated depression. I don't know if it's from untreated depression or if it's genetic (my father's a diagnosed manic-depressive). It affects almost everything I do. Sometimes I am fine, sometimes I can become sad or easily angered. I'm trying to figure out how to get treated (my dh's insurance isn't the best), so I'm seeking other means. Music has always been there for me at least. So, I'm happy about that!

I think treatment of such individuals has been better, but, of course, improvements are best!

Tanya

Wow Tanya....I'm sorry to hear that you are also like me. It was bad enough before with the sadness but now since Blaine died it's like...out of no where I just cry. As time has gone on it gets a bit easier though. There is comfort in music and also sadness...songs that I try to avoid because I can't get through them without crying about Blaine are Dust In The Wind By Kansas and Island In The Sun by Weezer. The Kansas song was one that I introduced him to when he was young and he always liked it....as for Wezzer, that cd was released right before he died and I don't know if he ever heard it or not...though he liked Weezer. He introduced me to his stuff like Weezer, Godsmack, Alice In Chains and many more but we shared ALL of it  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/17/04 at 10:14 pm

Wow Tanya....I'm sorry to hear that you are also like me. It was bad enough before with the sadness but now since Blaine died it's like...out of no where I just cry. As time has gone on it gets a bit easier though. There is comfort in music and also sadness...songs that I try to avoid because I can't get through them without crying about Blaine are Dust In The Wind By Kansas and Island In The Sun by Weezer. The Kansas song was one that I introduced him to when he was young and he always liked it....as for Wezzer, that cd was released right before he died and I don't know if he ever heard it or not...though he liked Weezer. He introduced me to his stuff like Weezer, Godsmack, Alice In Chains and many more but we shared ALL of it  :\'(

Wow! Hopefully, there are others on this board who will feel that they could open up without fear of avoidance, shunning, etc.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 10:17 pm

Wow! Hopefully, there are others on this board who will feel that they could open up without fear of avoidance, shunning, etc.

Tanya
I hope so as well...losing "Scorpion" in 2002 was horrible :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/17/04 at 10:19 pm

I can imagine so.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/04 at 1:19 am

Thanks Max.   ::)  ;D

Sorry, Bobby, I think that's the second time I got you mixed up with Philbo!
:-[

Written By: philbo on 10/18/04 at 7:42 am

:-
When did Philbo say that?

Er.. four lines ago ;)

Written By: McDonald on 10/18/04 at 1:06 pm

I actually discuss this subject in my latest LiveJournal entry, and in the corresponding replies and rebuttals.

Check it out. http://www.livejournal.com/users/ossian27/5332.html
The whole thing started with this hate crime that recently occurred in the town where I attend college.

Written By: Jessica on 10/18/04 at 2:27 pm

I've faced discrimination and cr*p like it several times. It's so much fun to have someone rail against "worthless Mexicans" while being one-half Mexican yourself. ::) However, I do find it amusing when people pull stunts like this and then I tell them my last name (Perez). The look on their face is priceless. ;D

I've also been taunted because I'm overweight. I still smart from the words that I've heard applied to me, some of it fairly recently. Rice Cube and I also get "the stare" because we are a mixed-race couple and I outweigh him by quite a bit.

Sorry...had to ramble a bit. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/18/04 at 2:51 pm

Discrimination, for any reason is not just wrong, its stupid.  As a kid I was sometimes called a spik.

Thanks to all of you for opening up about your own torments.  Thankfully, I have been spared the troubles you have indentified, but you have my sympathy and support.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/04 at 3:56 pm

I've faced discrimination and cr*p like it several times. It's so much fun to have someone rail against "worthless Mexicans" while being one-half Mexican yourself. ::) However, I do find it amusing when people pull stunts like this and then I tell them my last name (Perez). The look on their face is priceless. ;D

I've also been taunted because I'm overweight. I still smart from the words that I've heard applied to me, some of it fairly recently. Rice Cube and I also get "the stare" because we are a mixed-race couple and I outweigh him by quite a bit.

Sorry...had to ramble a bit. :)

I know what you mean sort of.  I am an African American, but my best friend told me that I can out
"Mayflower Matron" anyone.  My grandmother is what some would call a formidable woman who
was as proper and old school as it comes.  Clean house, clean kids, Episcopal church every Sunday.
It is not what anyone expects in an African American, and when someone comes out with a superior
attitude I just give them her through me, right down to the withering stare.  The older I get the better
it gets. :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/18/04 at 7:24 pm

:-[

No offence taken at all Max  ;D.

Very clever post there, Philbo.

Ah thanks for your post, RockandRollFan. I am very sorry to hear that you have felt that way yourself. Guilt is an excruciating aspect of depression and can limit everything we do. I too have felt guilty about things.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/18/04 at 11:13 pm

Ah thanks for your post, RockandRollFan. I am very sorry to hear that you have felt that way yourself. Guilt is an excruciating aspect of depression and can limit everything we do. I too have felt guilty about things.

No Problem, Bobby...and call me Mark :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/19/04 at 7:59 pm

No Problem, Bobby...and call me Mark :)

Thank you very much, Mark. You can call me Rob if you like - I thought Bobby was a little more friendly sounding (less boring).  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/04 at 5:29 am

Thank you very much, Mark. You can call me Rob if you like - I thought Bobby was a little more friendly sounding (less boring).  :)

Nooooo, Bobby is little boy like, and common, Rob has....cache,  and so do you :)

Check for new replies or respond here...