» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Jon Stewart (Daily Show) announces support of Kerry, ratings fall as a result.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/17/04 at 8:50 pm

JON STEWART 'DAILY SHOW' IN SURPRISE AUDIENCE -- DROP
Sun Oct 17 2004 20:30:24 ET

COMEDY CENTRAL's 'DAILY SHOW' has experienced surprise audience erosion -- despite a publicity push by host Jon Stewart.

Stewart, who announced last week that he plans to support John Kerry, pulled 1,040,000 total viewers for month of September -- down 7% from August, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Jumbo hype from media writers and a bestselling book apparently has failed to translate into any TV audience improvement.

MORE:

CNN editors were busy this weekend cleaning up a transcript from Stewart's Friday appearance on CROSSFIRE. One CNN executive called Stewart's performace "belligerent."

During the live program, Stewart slammed host Tucker Carlson: "You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show."

The awkward exchange came at the end of an 8 minute segment between Stewart, Carlson and co-host Paul Begala.

CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: ...you have this marvelous opportunity not to be the guy's butt boy, to go ahead and be his butt boy. Come on. It's embarrassing.

STEWART: I was absolutely his butt boy. I was so far -- you would not believe what he ate two weeks ago.

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.

The thing that I want to say is, when you have people on for just knee-jerk, reactionary talk...

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.

BEGALA: Go ahead. Go ahead.

STEWART: I watch your show every day. And it kills me.

CARLSON: I can tell you love it.

STEWART: It's so -- oh, it's so painful to watch...

CARLSON: Is this really Jon Stewart? What is this, anyway?

STEWART: Yes, it's someone who watches your show and cannot take it anymore. I just can't.

CARLSON: What's it like to have dinner with you? It must be excruciating. Do you like lecture people like this or do you come over to their house and sit and lecture them; they're not doing the right thing, that they're missing their opportunities, evading their responsibilities?

CARLSON: I wouldn't want to eat with you, man. That's horrible.

STEWART: I know. And you won't.

Before appearing on CNN, Stewart blasted reporter and CROSSFIRE co-host Bob Novak.

"I would not have him on the show. I have standards," Stewart explained to the NEW YORKER's Ken Auletta. "I wouldn't do it. He shouldn't be on television. CNN should not have him on the air. He should not be amongst civilized people."

FULL STORY AT THE DRUDGE REPORT: http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

Subject: Re: Jon Stewart (Daily Show) announces support of Kerry, ratings fall as a result.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/17/04 at 9:04 pm

It was probably from Republican viewers who felt the show was going to lean more toward them. Maybe they thought they could get a slanted show, but when they realized they wouldn't (b/c it is opened to all), they left.

You know I'm posting this to get a rise out of you, right?  ;)

Tanya

Subject: Re: Jon Stewart (Daily Show) announces support of Kerry, ratings fall as a result.

Written By: McDonald on 10/18/04 at 12:14 am

Oh what a huge surprise, I must say. Because it certainly wasn't obvious to begin with, was it? Stewart's aim is to have an anti-news programme, that lampoons the media more than takes part in it. It stands to reason he would be a liberal, it just goes to show you how unliberal the real media actually is. It isn't a wonder that this concept has escaped you, honestly.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/04 at 1:09 am

Just more of his Drudge kool-aid, pay it no mind.
I mean, this is meaningless swill.
::)

Written By: MooRocca on 10/18/04 at 7:22 am

Of course, the drop couldn't be attributed to people tuning in to watch the REAL news as the elections draw near and the war heats up or to the school year starting up... nahhh, it has to be due to Stewart making public an endorsement that even a chimp could have guessed.  ::)   

Written By: philbo on 10/18/04 at 7:33 am

FULL STORY AT THE DRUDGE REPORT: http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

By "full story", you mean word for word what you just posted, with the word "END" after it?

And what's it supposed to prove, anyway?  That some republicans watched the show and decided not to once the host had announced a preference... big deal.  I'm still trying to find any point whatsoever in posting this.

Subject: Re: Jon Stewart (Daily Show) announces support of Kerry, ratings fall as a resul

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/04 at 9:32 am

The Crossfire appearance was excellent.  It was posted to every major news site on the web Saturday and Friday night.  He put both of the windbags in their place, and well deserved.  Funny Drudge doesn't see it that way, only sees it as an attack against the right.  Quite the rose colored glasses that guy wears. 

Stewart has also had two weeks of reruns this month (they took a week off after the debates and after the RNC).  I guess that wouldn't have anything to do with a decline in viewership.

The neocons must be very, very threatened by Stewart calling out the media as being less than useless in covering politics.  Maybe their followers will wake up and see through the lies they've bought into. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/04 at 9:46 am

"I would not have him on the show. I have standards," Stewart explained to the NEW YORKER's Ken Auletta. "I wouldn't do it. He shouldn't be on television. CNN should not have him on the air. He should not be amongst civilized people."
Stewart is right about this one.  Novak has been a disgrace to journalism for 30 years.  On the other hand, I know Novak wouldn't appear on the DS even if invited.  Stewart would just take him apart in 90 seconds without giving him the same easy arguments Carville and Begala do.

Subject: Re: Jon Stewart (Daily Show) announces support of Kerry, ratings fall as a resul

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/04 at 11:38 am

Jon Stewart Bitchslaps CNN's 'Crossfire' Show
http://www.mtv.com/chooseorlose/headlines/news.jhtml?id=1492305

Transcript:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/15/cf.01.html

video:
http://randomfoo.net/?p=2004_10_00_archive.inc#crossfire

It's certainly worth the watch, and making up your own mind.  Although I'm sure if you're the type of person who reads Newsmax/Drudge/Free Republic, that might not be possible.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/18/04 at 12:36 pm

By "full story", you mean word for word what you just posted, with the word "END" after it?

No, it is because everytime I post a story someone always says something like ''I don't believe that, you got a link to prove it?''  From now on I'll post the dam* link if it will shut some people up.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/18/04 at 2:59 pm

YAWN!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Written By: philbo on 10/18/04 at 4:11 pm

No, it is because everytime I post a story someone always says something like ''I don't believe that, you got a link to prove it?'' From now on I'll post the dam* link if it will shut some people up.

When you've obviously cut and paste an article, posting a link to the same article you copied in its entirety doesn't add to your credibility one iota; whereas when you're making some claim that stretches credulity to breaking point- *then* a link becomes truly worthwhile (or ideally a couple from independent sources).

...but I still don't see exactly what relevance this article actually has...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/04 at 5:23 pm

I highly doubt it proves that any Republicans who would boycott a show because the host endorses Kerry were watching the show, regularly.  More likely it proves that The Daily Show airs opposite the local nightly news in at least two of our four "lower 48" timezones and that there's a lot going on that is of interest to the types of people who enjoy The Daily Show but that is not unfolding and/or isn't covered at the national level for it to then be lampooned on The Daily Show.  

Examples?  Ok...
Local boy killed in Iraq?  Honoring him by name at the national level is suddenly a big no-no, but he'll be honored by name on the local news and they may even give his friends and family a little air time to say some nice things about who he was as a person.  Concerned about hotly contested local races, local issues and tax referendum that will be appearing on your ballot?  Chances are that only your local news sources will cover them.  You've heard rumors that the largest employer in your area may be laying off a third of its work force and, because the contract that keeps YOUR employer in business comes from that company, you want to know whether and how it will affect your job?  Even if the layoff at the big company makes national news or gets lampooned on Stewart's program, they won't mention the specifics of the ripple effect -- for that coverage, you'll have to tune in to... you guessed it... your local news.   Baseball season is ending and football season is underway... interested in the scores and highlights?  Your local news covers everything from pro-ball to college ball down to the local and area Jr. High and high school ball.  

You have to remember, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is a 30 minute comedy program, not a news network or a news program.  Its purpose is not to inform or sway.  It is for ALREADY well-informed people to hear/see Stewart and the rest of the Daily Show cast crack the same kinds of jokes that go through their own minds as they watch, hear and read the national and international news.  

Phil, he mentioned it because, as he's said before, he derives pleasure from anything he thinks signals a loss or blow to liberals -- The Daily Show is popular with some of us liberals and Jon Stewart is not supporting the neo-con candidate, so...    I'm sure GWB honestly thinks he's rubbing our noses in a right wing victory, here.  (If for no other reason than that the Drudge Report told him it is.)   But, because of who the average Daily Show viewer is,  it makes perfect sense that a significant number of his regular viewers would be choosing their local nightly news coverage over his program, right now.  It's bad for Jon's ratings, but it's a positive indicator that those who've given half a cr@p previously, still do.   If the show's numbers had gone UP significantly from August to September, it might actually signal a trend of some negative significance... not the political shift to the left that would have GWB shaking in his boots, but a continuation in the social trend toward increased apathy and the setting of superficial priortities that has me shaking in my boots.   A drop?   I'm sorry, but that should have been a no-brainer expectation and you can bet that expectation by The Daily Show suits is what prompted the *planning* of the heavy promotional push that was not only ready for launch but already underway in time for the drop.  It's just plain old-fashioned common sense that if the drop had not been anticipated, the planning would have started AFTER the "surprise" ratings drop, not before.  

If--and this is a big IF--if there is a Kerry Administration, I expect Stewart to rake Kerry and his people over the coals just like he does to Bush.  If he doesn't, he's not doing his job.
Granted, the lies and hypocrisy won't be as outrageously maddening under Kerry as it has been under Bush.  I also expect Right Wing media to attack President Kerry with same idiotic sound and fury they attacked President Clinton.  Again if--and this is a big IF--if there is a President Kerry.  In that case, I'll also expect John Stwewart and the DS to act as a foil against the Right Wing propaganda machine.
I would like to see Stewat do a couple of spoofs on Michael Moore.  Moore needs to be reined in for his own good.  What I saw on C-Span yesterday was ghastly.  See my Moore thread.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/04 at 7:43 pm

If--and this is a big IF--if there is a Kerry Administration, I expect Stewart to rake Kerry and his people over the coals just like he does to Bush.  If he doesn't, he's not doing his job.
Granted, the lies and hypocrisy won't be as outrageously maddening under Kerry as it has been under Bush.  I also expect Right Wing media to attack President Kerry with same idiotic sound and fury they attacked President Clinton.  Again if--and this is a big IF--if there is a President Kerry.  In that case, I'll also expect John Stwewart and the DS to act as a foil against the Right Wing propaganda machine.
I would like to see Stewat do a couple of spoofs on Michael Moore.  Moore needs to be reined in for his own good.  What I saw on C-Span yesterday was ghastly.  See my Moore thread.

well, I think people forget that Stewart was on the air before Bush took office, and he had no problems going after the Clinton administration.  One of the articles I read put the Daily Show slant perfectly, they go after politicians, not political parties.  They're distrustful of anything the government does.  If you watch the Crossfire segment from this week, the Republican hack is attacking Stewart for not asking tough questions.  I think people forget it's a comedy show, the guys in the serious news shows are the ones that are supposed to ask the tough questions.

They do their job better than the news shows do at this point.  There was a segment two weeks ago where they showed the acting PM of Iraq talking in front of Congress, and then pieced together a segment where Bush made exactly the same statements. Not one news network picked up on the fact that Bush's puppet is basically just making the same speaches that Bush makes.  The criticial examination of the goverment by the press has basically evaporated to the point where comedy shows do a better job pointing out the hypocrisy in the system. 

Check for new replies or respond here...