» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: CNN's Tucker Carlson vs. Comedy Central's Jon Stewart

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/18/04 at 7:46 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041019/ap_on_en_tv/tv_carlson_vs_stewart_6

Subject: Re: CNN's Tucker Carlson vs. Comedy Central's Jon Stewart

Written By: Davester on 10/18/04 at 8:34 pm

Absolutely classic. Beautiful. Thank you for bringing this up...

Watching Jon Stewart actually getting serious and finally proving how smart he really is has been a wet dream of mine for a long time.  He literally took the show by the short hairs. He personally attacked Paul and Tucker, and claimed that Crossfire was the worst show he's ever seen...Jon Stewart’s point was that Crossfire (and other debate shows) are too easy on politicians (but we knew that, already...)

Can't seem to find a streaming clip of this for a repeat viewing...c'mon guys, make with the uber-linkage...

Written By: MooRocca on 10/18/04 at 8:51 pm

Can't seem to find a streaming clip of this for a repeat viewing...c'mon guys, make with the uber-linkage...

Chucky G.  posted a link on the first page of the Jon Stewart ratings drop thread.  When you get to the page Chucky linked to, scroll down a little and there are links for the transcript and the video.  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/04 at 8:53 pm

Absolutely classic. Beautiful. Thank you for bringing this up...

Watching Jon Stewart actually getting serious and finally proving how smart he really is has been a wet dream of mine for a long time.  He literally took the show by the short hairs. He personally attacked Paul and Tucker, and claimed that Crossfire was the worst show he's ever seen...Jon Stewart’s point was that Crossfire (and other debate shows) are too easy on politicians (but we knew that, already...)

it also should be in the seven day archives of fark.com slashdot.com and metafilter.com and is on ifilm.com as well.

Written By: Davester on 10/18/04 at 9:00 pm

Doh!  Thanks...

In case anyone's interested, A page-'o-links of Crossfire-Jon Stewart videos.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/04 at 11:15 pm

"Grow up guys" might be my answer on such an entertainment poll, but in this case I had to vote. 

Jon Stewart is soooo right about "Crossfire."  That show REALLY does blow! 
If you had polled Stewart vs. Paul Begala, or Stewart vs. James Carville, I'd choose JS again hands down for the same reason. 
Begala and Carville are obnoxious, but they're nowhere near the grotesqueries of Tucker Carlson (who I suspect is just David Spade playing his longest character roll ever) and that Frankenstein monster of greed Bob Novak!
:P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/04 at 12:25 pm

Jon! Has anyone noticed how Bob Novak tries to play himself off as a WASP?

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/04 at 4:21 pm

I said "Grow up, guys"   It's a friggin TV show!!!

It's not just a "friggin tv show" when vaild points are being made. It affects many lives b/c of such points.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/04 at 4:24 pm

Jon! Has anyone noticed how Bob Novak tries to play himself off as a WASP?

Tanya

I didn't notice that, actually.  IMO, he would have to successfull play himself off as a human being first!

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/19/04 at 5:54 pm

If you read the article, Tanya, you would have known neither subject made ANY valid points. Carlson was unprofessional in his "interviewing" and Stewart was being a jerk. This bickering doesn't affect me one way or another.

It's not just a "friggin tv show" when vaild points are being made. It affects many lives b/c of such points.

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/04 at 10:10 pm

I didn't notice that, actually.  IMO, he would have to successfull play himself off as a human being first!

Ha! May take a while for that!

If you read the article, Tanya, you would have known neither subject made ANY valid points. Carlson was unprofessional in his "interviewing" and Stewart was being a jerk. This bickering doesn't affect me one way or another.

I used to be an avid viewer of Crossfire. Carlson is always unprofessional in his interviewing and he either cuts people off or call their views invalid b/c they don't coincide with his. Begala does it as well. But, Carlson does it to a major extreme. They are always screaming at each other. Thank goodness for remote controls!

Was what Stewart saying making him a jerk? Or, was it his tone? My mother always tells me that it's not what you say, it's how you say it (obviously, I'm still working on this  :) ).

While the bickering doesn't increase or decrease my paycheck, daily life, etc. It's interesting to see someone outside of their inner circle stand up to them (which doesn't happen often).

Tanya

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/20/04 at 12:21 am

It must have been how he said it. If he was trying to be courteous, I would understand. I still don't know why they would ask him to be on 'Crossfire'.

Was what Stewart saying making him a jerk? Or, was it his tone? My mother always tells me that it's not what you say, it's how you say it (obviously, I'm still working on this  :) ).

Written By: Satish on 10/20/04 at 2:23 am

I had no idea that so many people didn't like those debate-type shows. I think "Crossfire"s OK. Debate-type shows try and be entertaining by being confrontational, so I guess maybe they're a bit long on style and short on substance. But I don't think they do too bad a job covering the issues. They get opposing viewpoints to challenge each other.

But I'll always enjoy the episode where Tucker had to eat his shoe(even if it was just a cake!) ;D That was a good laugh! And being a big fan of the Clintons, I enjoyed it even more!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/04 at 9:58 pm

It must have been how he said it. If he was trying to be courteous, I would understand. I still don't know why they would ask him to be on 'Crossfire'.

Probably to look hip or something.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/04 at 1:58 am

Probably to look hip or something.

Tanya

No man wears a bow tie intending to look hip, especially not a man under 40--Tucker Carlson.  Carlson is trying to be the next George Will, but even that uber-dork didn't wear a bow tie.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/21/04 at 11:38 pm

Thanks, cheerleader, for making that clear.  :) I see what you are saying.

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/22/04 at 10:27 pm

I understand the kids thing. My son is always asking for something right as I'm trying to make a point!  :D ;D

tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...