» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Mary Poppins registers to vote in Ohio....can you guess with which party?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/20/04 at 11:27 am

'Mary Poppins' Registers to Vote in Ohio

DEFIANCE, Ohio - Elections officials knew something was wrong when they got voter registration cards for Mary Poppins, Dick Tracy, Michael Jordan and George Foreman.

They notified the Defiance County sheriff, who arrested Chad Staton on Monday on a felony charge of submitting phony voter registration forms. Investigators also were looking into allegations that he was paid with cocaine in exchange for his efforts.

Staton, 22, had fraudulently filled out more than 100 voter registration forms, Sheriff David Westrick said.

"Staton was to be paid for each registration form that he could get citizens to fill out," the sheriff said. "However, Staton himself filled out the registrations and returned them to the woman who hired him from Toledo."

Staton was charged with false registration and was released without bond pending arraignment.

No other charges had been filed in the case Monday, authorities said.

According to Westrick, the NAACP's National Voter Fund had submitted the false registrations to the elections board in Cleveland. George Forbes, Cleveland chapter president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (news - web sites), said Monday that the voter fund operates independently from his chapter.

Officers said they interviewed a Toledo woman who claimed that she had paid Staton with cocaine for the registrations. Officers said they obtained a search warrant and took voter registrations and drug paraphernalia from her home.

The woman claimed she had been recruited by a Cleveland man to obtain voter registrations, Westrick said.

Link to article: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&e=1&u=/ap/registration_scam

Wonder if crack was the payment?

Subject: Re: Mary Poppins registers to vote in Ohio....can you guess with which party?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/20/04 at 11:30 am

I'm voting as many times in as many districts as possible before, during and after the election.

Signed,

NAACP Life member...

Subject: Re: Mary Poppins registers to vote in Ohio....can you guess with which party?

Written By: Jessica on 10/20/04 at 12:32 pm

That's stupid. Read the story. The guy was a CRACKHEAD. I think you also failed to read the following two parts "George Forbes, Cleveland chapter president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (news - web sites), said Monday that the voter fund operates independently from his chapter.' and "The woman claimed she had been recruited by a Cleveland man to obtain voter registrations"

The guy that "recruited" her could have been anyone claiming to be a part of the NAACP voter campaign fund. For all we know, it could have been a Republican doing the "recruiting".

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/20/04 at 1:42 pm

Since Repub state commitees in at least 3 states have been accused of "messing" with the registration of Dems, and of attempting to deprive especially black voters of the franchise, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that repubs set this up so they could say, as I guess GWB is implying, "see, Dems do it too." 

On the other hand, who knows.  There are unscrupulous people in every party and in every walk of life.  We need to wait on this one for more facts, and not just jump to conclusions, as GWB seems to be doing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/04 at 4:56 pm

I knew he was going to post this idiotic story.  Keep slinging that mud GW, maybe some of it will stick!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/04 at 5:46 pm

I'm voting as many times in as many districts as possible before, during and after the election.

Signed,

NAACP Life member...

....In the hopes that maybe one of those votes will be counted.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/04 at 9:49 pm

....In the hopes that maybe one of those votes will be counted.

What if Mary Poppins, Superman, and Green Lantern register Republican?

Written By: philbo on 10/21/04 at 12:59 am

One thing I've often wondered: why do you have to declare your voting preference when registering to vote?  Doesn't that defeat the whole principle of a secret ballot?  (And who's to say whether you'll actually vote that way, anyway)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/04 at 5:25 am

One thing I've often wondered: why do you have to declare your voting preference when registering to vote?  Doesn't that defeat the whole principle of a secret ballot?  (And who's to say whether you'll actually vote that way, anyway)

You can register as Independent.  I think it is more of a primary thing, although in some states
you can cross party ballots in the primary.  In Massachusetts Independents can request the primary
ballot of the party they chose to vote in.  I, myself, was Independent for decades, until the Republicans
became so divisive I had to stand up and declare to the Dems as a protest.

Written By: philbo on 10/21/04 at 6:18 am

A nice member of the iidb forums pointed me to this Nebraska voting registration form - so I can see exactly what you mean.  Thanks, Danoota :)

So if I read this right, who you put down as your party affiliation *now* has no bearing on the election, and will gain you no benefit whatsoever (given that the primaries are well over)... so anybody committing this sort of multiple registration fraud using names like "Mary Poppins", "Dick Tracy" etc. (i.e. so obvious that it could only be found out) would need to be terminally misguided to put their *real* party affiliation as a) no good would come of it, and b) if it comes out, it'll give the opposing a$$holes a good gloat at your party's expense... ergo, either the guy is incredibly stupid, or the one thing that he ain't is whatever party affiliation he stuck on the voter registration form.  Having read the story, both of those would be equally plausible.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/04 at 6:34 am

A nice member of the iidb forums pointed me to this Nebraska voting registration form - so I can see exactly what you mean.  Thanks, Danoota :)

So if I read this right, who you put down as your party affiliation *now* has no bearing on the election, and will gain you no benefit whatsoever (given that the primaries are well over)... so anybody committing this sort of multiple registration fraud using names like "Mary Poppins", "dip Tracy" etc. (i.e. so obvious that it could only be found out) would need to be terminally misguided to put their *real* party affiliation as a) no good would come of it, and b) if it comes out, it'll give the opposing a$$holes a good gloat at your party's expense... ergo, either the guy is incredibly stupid, or the one thing that he ain't is whatever party affiliation he stuck on the voter registration form.  Having read the story, both of those would be equally plausible.

Anyone doing this would be (was) caught immediately.  Only someone with serious mental
instability would do something like this, so to point to it as an attempt a voter fraud is just
an excuse to thump ones chest. It is also telling that people who point to this a an example
of fraud are the first to try to deny, or rationalize the admitted transgressions made in Florida
by the Republicans in 2000 that denied the right of 56,000 people to vote.

Written By: conker on 10/21/04 at 7:24 am

I've always wondered about that too.  Here we are registered by a Gov't agency and all you have to do is 'prove' you live in a certain polling area and that you are over 18 and a citizen.  No one asks or would even try to ask what party you support.  All that is to be done is to ensure that you are on the voter's list on election day.  Also if you are missed if you show up to the polls with proper ID etc you can swear and oath and get a ballot on election day.  Seems alot simpler than what our American friends are using.

Written By: philbo on 10/21/04 at 7:49 am

I think the number of "suspect" registrations is 100,000+ :o And, that's in the city alone.

Holy s**t... I guess that's what you get when you cross democracy and capitalism ::)

Though this isn't the sort of voter fraud to affect the result, is it?  I mean, people are doing this because they're getting paid per registration, not because they want to vote all the new registrations for whichever party?

Presumably, though, it'll have an effect on turnout figures, if turnout is measured as a percentage of registered voters.

Written By: karen on 10/21/04 at 8:44 am

I've always wondered about that too.  Here we are registered by a Gov't agency and all you have to do is 'prove' you live in a certain polling area and that you are over 18 and a citizen.  No one asks or would even try to ask what party you support.  All that is to be done is to ensure that you are on the voter's list on election day.  Also if you are missed if you show up to the polls with proper ID etc you can swear and oath and get a ballot on election day.  Seems alot simpler than what our American friends are using.

Same thing here.  They send round a form at regular intervals (every 3 years?) and we just have to sign to say the details are correct.  When there is an election we get a card with our voter number on which we have to take to the polling station.  I think you can still vote if you forget to take your card.

Occasionally there are party activists outside the polling station who want to know your address.  In close elections they have been known to call round 'party faithful' who haven't voted to try and chivvy them along.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/21/04 at 8:54 am

Reminds me of Chicago at the turn of the last century.  Only then they were paying for votes.  These things never go well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/04 at 11:03 am

I was debating whether to post this here or start a new thread. But, it seems like Daffy Duck will be running for pres.  :D

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041021/ap_en_tv/daffy_duck_2

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/21/04 at 1:15 pm

In some places, especially Chicago, Dems are so loyal to their party that they even vote after death, but Repubs in southern Ill. are equally loyal.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/21/04 at 1:23 pm

In some states you need to register for the primary, as others have said.  Here in VT that is not the case.  Six years ago a guy named Jack McMullen (I call him McMuffin), a Mass. millionaire, bough a house in VT to try to buy a senate seat.  A 74 year old farm turned actor named Fred Tuttle (Man With a Plan, in which he ran for congress and won  by 1 vote) ran against him in the primary.  The debates were a scream.  Fred asked questions like how many teets does a cow have, what's a tetter etc.  He won the primary with support from many Dems.  Message - Vermont is NOT for sale.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/21/04 at 1:24 pm

These voters are still blaming racism for the Florida debacle when it was the idiot voters who couldn't decide if they were voting for Gore or Pat Buchanan. Voting laws state that you cannot for two candidates or your votes will not count. Plus a lot of the people crying racism arrived five minutes AFTER polls closed, not before. Bush may not have turned out to be the President we would have liked to have. But at least when discovering these hanging chads, they did not cheat. The only way he would have cheated was if Katherine Harris or Jeb Bush doctored the votes themselves.  

In some states you need to register for the primary, as others have said.  Here in VT that is not the case.  Six years ago a guy named Jack McMullen (I call him McMuffin), a Mass. millionaire, bough a house in VT to try to buy a senate seat.  A 74 year old farm turned actor named Fred Tuttle (Man With a Plan, in which he ran for congress and won  by 1 vote) ran against him in the primary.  The debates were a scream.  Fred asked questions like how many teets does a cow have, what's a tetter etc.  He won the primary with support from many Dems.  Message - Vermont is NOT for sale.

Well, Howard Dean did a good job in selling the state.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/21/04 at 1:47 pm

These voters are still blaming racism for the Florida debacle when it was the idiot voters who couldn't decide if they were voting for Gore or Pat Buchanan. Voting laws state that you cannot for two candidates or your votes will not count. Plus a lot of the people crying racism arrived five minutes AFTER polls closed, not before. Bush may not have turned out to be the President we would have liked to have. But at least when discovering these hanging chads, they did not cheat. The only way he would have cheated was if Katherine Harris or Jeb Bush doctored the votes themselves.  

Well, Howard Dean did a good job in selling the state.

Its not the hanging chads that disenfranchised over 50,000 voters, nor was it the butterfly ballot, but the highly inaccurate felony list, the same one they want to use this time around.

Dean was a terrific governor.  Balanced budgets, full rainy day funds, and every child under 19 with full health insurance.  He was also able to improve state funding for higher education.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/21/04 at 3:18 pm

Sold you too.  ;D
Regardless of how fiscally responsible Dean might be, he still wouldn't make a good President. He seems to me to be another power hungry Chuck.

Dean was a terrific governor.  Balanced budgets, full rainy day funds, and every child under 19 with full health insurance.  He was also able to improve state funding for higher education.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/04 at 5:03 pm

Its not the hanging chads that disenfranchised over 50,000 voters, nor was it the butterfly ballot, but the highly inaccurate felony list, the same one they want to use this time around.

DC, the overwhelming evidence against the Jeb Bush administration in 2001 is out there and is irrefutable.  Anybody who plans to vote for Bush must accept the self-serving fantasy that Bush won fair and square.  If this delusion is not granted, they cannot vote fascist in conscience.  Pity them.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/22/04 at 2:04 pm

Sold you too.  ;D
Regardless of how fiscally responsible Dean might be, he still wouldn't make a good President. He seems to me to be another power hungry Chuck.

I thought that was a prerequesite ;D ;D ;D

You got that right Cheer.

I think Dean would have been great because unlike either Bush (especially and blatantly) and Kerry, he is not beholden to the corporate big wigs who have been running this country for WAY to long.  But oh well...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/04 at 2:13 pm

You got that right Cheer.

I think Dean would have been great because unlike either Bush (especially and blatantly) and Kerry, he is not beholden to the corporate big wigs who have been running this country for WAY to long.  But oh well...

To me, Dean seemed like a real person, not a drone scripted by special interests.  However, if the corporate big wigs are against a candidate, he doesn't stand a chance, that's why we need public financing of elections.

Speaking of "real person," I heard some stooge calling in on Bill O'Reily yesterday saying "Laura is my Sunday school teacher and George is my hardware man."  Yeah, truth be known, you ain't been to church in 20 years and your hardware man got put out of business when Wal-Mart opened outside of town!

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/22/04 at 3:39 pm

Now Now.. like i have said a few times, i take an interest in the US Political scene but only get to see about half of what goes on first hand, so feel free to lambast my statements.

However, the times i have seen Howard Dean talk, i just have to say that he seems like.. a pillar box or something, he has like no character. I know that isn't the most important thing and yeah i agree he is more a man of the people than most of his fellow Litish's but the guy has like charisma 0- if you ask me. Talking about voter registration, i am not of legal age to vote in England, yet i am registered on the electoral register. Slightly bemusing as i won't be legal to vote come the next election..(we'll the soon to be election).. however my name is still there. Guess it just allows them to be more organised but seems slightly strange really having excess names on there that can't vote.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/04 at 7:02 pm

To me, Dean seemed like a real person, not a drone scripted by special interests.  However, if the corporate big wigs are against a candidate, he doesn't stand a chance, that's why we need public financing of elections.

Speaking of "real person," I heard some stooge calling in on Bill O'Reily yesterday saying "Laura is my Sunday school teacher and George is my hardware man."  Yeah, truth be known, you ain't been to church in 20 years and your hardware man got put out of business when Wal-Mart opened outside of town!

One thing I like about Dean is that he calls a spade and spade and doesn't p*ssyfoot around a subject (like some Dem candadate who refused to use the "L" word-Dean has used the "L" word quite a lot).

As for Laura, to me, she seems like a "Stepford wife".

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/04 at 7:50 pm

One thing I like about Dean is that he calls a spade and spade and doesn't p*ssyfoot around a subject (like some Dem candadate who refused to use the "L" word-Dean has used the "L" word quite a lot).

As for Laura, to me, she seems like a "Stepford wife".

Looks can be deceiving.  Barbara seemed like everybody's grandmother, but she ruled with an iron hand.  When I see the Bush women, I think of that line from Dylan:
"She talks to all the servants about man and God and law, and everybody says that she's the brains behind Pa..."
--Maggie's Farm

BTW, pussyfoot is a perfectly clean word.
;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/04 at 9:49 am

Looks can be deceiving.  Barbara seemed like everybody's grandmother, but she ruled with an iron hand.  When I see the Bush women, I think of that line from Dylan:
"She talks to all the servants about man and God and law, and everybody says that she's the brains behind Pa..."
--Maggie's Farm

BTW, pussyfoot is a perfectly clean word.
;)

When I think of Barbara, I think of Al Franken's book where he met her on a plane and she kept waving her arm and saying, "I'm done with you."

I do understand that pussyfoot is a clean word but I didn't know if the censors knew that. But, you have proved that they do.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...