» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Poor, deluded Republicans...

Written By: philbo on 10/22/04 at 5:01 am

This was pointed out on another forum:

A report by PIPA, the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland

For example:

Bush supporters also have numerous misperceptions about Bush's international policy positions. Majorities incorrectly assume that Bush supports multilateral approaches to various international issues--the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (69%), the treaty banning land mines (72%)--and for addressing the problem of global warming: 51% incorrectly assume he favors US participation in the Kyoto treaty. After he denounced the International Criminal Court in the debates, the perception that he favored it dropped from 66%, but still 53% continue to believe that he favors it. An overwhelming 74% incorrectly assumes that he favors including labor and environmental standards in trade agreements.

Basically, they have absolutely no idea of what they're voting for... I guess this is why:

In all these cases, majorities of Bush supporters favor the positions they impute to Bush.

They *think* they're voting for the policies they themselves want, and haven't noticed they're wrong.  No wonder he's riding so high in the polls.

Subject: Re: Poor, deluded Republicans...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/04 at 10:05 am

I think part of that stems from the fact that they watch Fox News as their only "news" source. The other day we watched "OutFoxed". It had similar statistics of people who watched Fox who thought that there was a link between Al Quida and Saddam, that there were weapons of mass distruction found in Iraq, etc.

I find it very ironic that in this day and age when there is so much access to news, that so many people are more misinformed than ever before.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/22/04 at 1:29 pm

I think people WANT to be misinformed.  They have blind faith in "herr Leader" and simply ignore reality.  What  a mess.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/04 at 1:48 pm

Herr Leader ignores reality himself!

The other day Senator Joe Biden (D-Delaware) gave a speech to an auto workers union local in which he called Bush "brain dead."  The Republicans reacted with the expected outrage, but I think Biden owes no apology.  It is evident Bush is listening to no one in the world but the right-wing idealogues who pull his strings and the propaganda tricksters running his campaign.  This presidency is a disaster for America and her position in the world.  Ever since 9/11, the Bushies have been pushing an isolationist line that says "if you're not with us, you're against us," and "what the rest of the world thinks of America doesn't matter, 'coz they're just jealous."
That's about as deep and sophisticated as this administration's attitude gets.  Why would a president follow such a calamitous path?  I think it's because he is "brain dead"!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/22/04 at 2:26 pm

Herr Leader ignores reality himself!

The other day Senator Joe Biden (D-Delaware) gave a speech to an auto workers union local in which he called Bush "brain dead."  The Republicans reacted with the expected outrage, but I think Biden owes no apology.  It is evident Bush is listening to no one in the world but the right-wing idealogues who pull his strings and the propaganda tricksters running his campaign.  This presidency is a disaster for America and her position in the world.  Ever since 9/11, the Bushies have been pushing an isolationist line that says "if you're not with us, you're against us," and "what the rest of the world thinks of America doesn't matter, 'coz they're just jealous."
That's about as deep and sophisticated as this administration's attitude gets.  Why would a president follow such a calamitous path?  I think it's because he is "brain dead"!

Our President?  Brain dead?  How dare you!!!  After all, the man is a Yale and Harvard graduate, and no doubt has read at least one book in his life (or at least the Cliff Notes).

Written By: Jessica on 10/22/04 at 3:46 pm

Our President?  Brain dead?  How dare you!!!  After all, the man is a Yale and Harvard graduate, and no doubt has read at least one book in his life (or at least the Cliff Notes).

They have Cliff Notes for the D i c k and Jane books? ???

(oh come on, you KNEW someone was going to say something like that. ;D)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/04 at 6:27 pm

They have Cliff Notes for the D i c k and Jane books? ???

(oh come on, you KNEW someone was going to say something like that. ;D)

Cheney and Fonda?  ;) :D

Actually, I was thinking more of "My Pet Goat."

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/04 at 8:09 pm

Well, that's the funny thing...even if you grant him Yale and the Harvard MBA, we can only judge his presidency on the evidence before us, and the evidence increasingly shows a man who is brain dead.  Maybe thebooze and the cocaine made him smarter, I dunno.
::)

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 10/22/04 at 9:59 pm

Calling me deluded isn't "Personal"? Hello, moderators, what's up with THIS!?

Written By: Davester on 10/22/04 at 10:08 pm

de·lud·ed
  adjective
  believing untrue thing: firmly believing in something that is untrue or unreal
  to mislead the mind or judgment of; deceive

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/04 at 11:39 pm

The PIPA studies concluded many, but not all, Republicans are deluded on  matters of the Bush Administration's policies and international opinion of said policies. 

Why did you infer the PIPA studies were refering to you?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/23/04 at 1:33 pm

The PIPA studies concluded many, but not all, Republicans are deluded on  matters of the Bush Administration's policies and international opinion of said policies. 

Why did you infer the PIPA studies were refering to you?

Thin skin.

Written By: philbo on 10/27/04 at 4:38 am

Statistically, if you are a Republican then you are likely to believe something (usually something good) about Bush which isn't actually true - so, no it's not personal, it's general.  In much the same way as I've been described as "scum" in this forum: if you believe it doesn't apply to you, argue your case.

Check for new replies or respond here...