» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Here comes the P.C. police again

Written By: Niko101 on 10/23/04 at 11:52 pm

This local story really ticked me off...you've gotta read it to believe it.  >:(

http://www.komotv.com/news/story.asp?ID=33602

Subject: Re: Here comes the P.C. police again

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/24/04 at 12:03 am

Sheesh you think its bad now?  Imagine if Mrs. Clinton ever becomes President.  Welcome to the liberals' world.

Written By: Niko101 on 10/24/04 at 1:09 am

Don't go there, man. This thread isn't about presidential politics.

:::proudly flashing demtags:::

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/24/04 at 2:11 am

I just became Wiccan, so I guess I'll give an opinion on this.

It is ridiculous. It's just kids dressing up and having fun, and lots of Wiccans also participate in 'mainstream' Halloween activities, like Trick or Treating or dressing up. The lady who complained and had it banned from that district has a serious bug up her behind.

That being said, these bans also come from other ends of the aisle.

In my old school where I went K-7, Halloween celebrations were not allowed. If you came to school dressed up, you were suspended.

I still remember crying after asking my teacher why we weren't doing anything for Halloween and her looking at me menacingly like i was some sort of leper for asking and telling me self-righteously, "we don't celebrate Halloween in this school!!". That town was full to the brim with religious fundamentalists, and they used their power on the local school board to inflict their views on the student body in the local public schools as much as possible. I was often harassed and left out of things because I didn't belong to a Church. The town had a population of 3,000 and had 12 churches. About 98% of the population there belonged to a Church I think. It was a horrible place to grow up.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/24/04 at 8:23 am

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.  The real test is to see if they have a party around Christmas.  If they can't have halloween parties because it takes away from school time, then they shouldn't have other parties either.

Written By: Satish on 10/26/04 at 10:42 pm

Sheesh you think its bad now?  Imagine if Mrs. Clinton ever becomes President.  Welcome to the liberals' world.

You know, there's people on the Christian right who want to ban Halloween too, as ED said. They think it encourages "devil worshipping."

Someone posted this before:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/15/halloween.sabbath.ap/index.html

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/26/04 at 10:46 pm

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.  The real test is to see if they have a party around Christmas.  If they can't have halloween parties because it takes away from school time, then they shouldn't have other parties either.
Well said, Dagny ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/04 at 8:15 am

I think if you read the full article, you'll see they've banned Halloween parties in the past.  This year they added the "offensive to witches" part, and suddenly everyone thinks it's strictly a PC move, when it clearly isn't.  It actually looks like a move intended to bring negative attention to the Wiccan community more than anything else.

/not Wiccan, just have friends who are

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 10:35 am

Well, this is one Wiccan who is upset by this. Do I find it upsetting that little kids dress up like the stereotype "wicked" witches-H3LL NO! I see it as kids being kids and having a good time. In fact, one year at Halloween, a friend of mine brought her little girl over to our place so she could go trick-or-treating in our neighborhood. We both happened to be dressed like witches. Now, everytime I see her she says, "I remember when we were witches together". What I think what is going on here is that they are blaiming Wiccans and witches (not necessarly interchangeable but could be). Now, those kids are going to say "The witches took away our Halloween party". Another reason to instill hate against Wiccans and witches.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 10/27/04 at 12:14 pm

They banned it, despite a massive protest from the parents. Even the Wiccan priestess was ticked off about it. I have a feeling that many a child will be staying home on Friday.

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/education/3860211/detail.html

Written By: Hairspray on 10/27/04 at 12:25 pm

Sigh. :(

What is this world coming to when even.....

.....ah, nevermind. Too tired and disgusted....

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/27/04 at 4:12 pm

This is a non-issue.  It is so stupid as to defy belief.  I think I'll take a nap, in the arms of the Godess.  Hey Cat, you busy?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 6:56 pm

This is a non-issue.  It is so stupid as to defy belief.  I think I'll take a nap, in the arms of the Godess.  Hey Cat, you busy?

Never too busy for you, my love.  ;) :-* :-*

Oh, Sorry everyone.  :-[

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 7:01 pm

Oh, Sorry everyone.  :-No need to apologise, Cat! I enjoy seeing people Happy and In Love :)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/04 at 7:13 pm

Oh, Sorry everyone.  :-[

Cat

Being from Massachusetts I find these public displays of emotion rather vulgar...yet... strangely..provocative ::)

Written By: McDonald on 10/28/04 at 12:32 am

This is borderline outrageous. I feel like my mom saying this... but things were so much simpler when I was in elementary school... We celebrated Halloween, St. Pats, Hannukah, Christmas, Easter, May Day, Groundhog day, Valentines Day etc... ALL of them. It was fun. It still is. I think trying to pass the buck to the Wiccans was rich. Perhaps it was in good faith, but I suspect it was just an excuse. I have an idea. Let kids go dressed up if they want, and just don't devote any class time to it. Let them do their thing at lunch, and give them an orange coloured treat.

I remember Halloween time in school. We watched cartoons, and safety videos. We all dressed up and teacher gave us candy and read us stories. In middle school we had big dances every year... it was awesome.

Modern Halloween is an American tradition, and it's great for the economy. We spend something like 9 billion annually on Halloween. Starting this sh** now will only serve to turn kids off from Halloween today, so that in the future, they just won't bother. That is probably their goal. If your kids attend a non-halloween school, keep 'em home, and let them have fun. They deserve it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/04 at 2:17 pm

As ElDuderino points out, there are plenty of Christian fundamentalists who would love to ban Halloween. 

When I was a kid these issues never came up.  We had a little Halloween party with some orange-frosted devil's foodcake and other treats.  Some kids wore costumes, others didn't.  No pressure either way. 

As far as the "occult" went, we never thought of the familiar figures of Halloween as anything more than spooky figments of the imagination.

It seems certain Wiccans and certain Christians have no sense of fun regarding old myths of ghosts, witches, goblins, and vampires.  They take it all too seriously.  That's the problem with fanatics.  They take things too seriously.

The biggest controversies in my town were all the kids egging, TP-ing, shaving-creaming people's property...boy, that was fun!  There were also the years in which the town John Birchers successfully lobbied against trick-or-treating for UNICEF.  I smell a rat, a big commie rat!

Maybe Halloween culture has changed since my youth.  The idea that anyone was too poor to afford a costume was unheard of.  The best costumes were always homemade, and you could go as anything.  Heck, if you had an old sheet you could cut a few holes in it and go as a ghost.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/28/04 at 2:59 pm

Hats off to that school district.

I know of the discrimination and religious persecution that they are trying to avoid by cancelling Haloween.

You see, I worship Ground Hogs and consider them as the highest and most sacred form of life on earth.

Yet every year, they are defiled by the barbaric and archaic "Ground Hog Day" celebration.

The offense is unbearable.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/04 at 3:25 pm

I know of the discrimination and religious persecution that they are trying to avoid by cancelling Haloween.

You see, I worship Ground Hogs and consider them as the highest and most sacred form of life on earth.

Yet every year, they are defiled by the barbaric and archaic "Ground Hog Day" celebration.

Actually Ground Hog's Day is another Wiccan holiday only it is called Imbolc or Candlemas. Like Halloween, it is the half way point between the Solstice and the Equanox. It is a celebration of the coming of spring.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/28/04 at 3:46 pm

What in the name of all that is holy does Hillary have to do with this?

PS, love the little dancing man.  Puts me in mind of Lil' Georgie dancing to Cheney's tune.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/28/04 at 3:50 pm

Being from Massachusetts I find these public displays of emotion rather vulgar...yet... strangely..provocative ::)

"Not everyone is from Boston, John"  as Franklin said to Adams in 1776  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/28/04 at 4:22 pm

"Not everyone is from Boston, John"  as Franklin said to Adams in 1776  ;)

And he would know, being from Boston ;)

Written By: Jessica on 10/28/04 at 4:29 pm

That's like worshipping a squirrel. Squirrels are evil. At least the ones in Washington DC are. :P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/28/04 at 8:49 pm

I am going to assume this is sarcasm....

And Don Carlos, I liked your comments about my avatar, I really did.  But when I read them I had already dumped the dancing man.  Oh well, he had been there a long time, and his dance was getting annoying.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/04 at 9:18 pm

I am going to assume this is sarcasm....

And Don Carlos, I liked your comments about my avatar, I really did.  But when I read them I had already dumped the dancing man.  Oh well, he had been there a long time, and his dance was getting annoying.

"Bush and Blair, 21st Century Men"?
You can read that any number of ways....
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...