» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ABC News October surprise? Are they trying to help or hurt President Bush?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/04 at 12:34 pm

I can't tell if this is suppose to help or hurt the President:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED OCT 27, 2004 12:42:01 ET XXXXX

ABCNEWS HOLDS TERROR WARNING TAPE

In the last week before the election, ABCNEWS is holding a videotaped message from a purported al Qaeda terrorist warning of a new attack on America, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The terrorist claims on tape the next attack will dwarf 9/11. "The streets will run with blood," and "America will mourn in silence" because they will be unable to count the number of the dead. Further claims: America has brought this on itself for electing George Bush who has made war on Islam by destroying the Taliban and making war on Al Qaeda.

ABCNEWS strongly denies holding the tape back from broadcast over political concerns during the last days of the election.

The CIA is analyzing the tape, a top federal source tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

ABCNEWS obtained the tape from a source in Waziristan, Pakistan over the weekend, sources tells DRUDGE.

"We have been working 24 hours a day trying to authenticate ," a senior ABCNEWS source said Wednesday morning.

The terrorist's face is concealed by a head dress, and he speaks in an American accent, making it difficult to identify the individual.

A top goverment source tells DRUDGE, US intelligence officials believe the man on tape may be Adam Gadhan - aka Adam Pearlman, a southern California native who was highlighted by the FBI in May as an individual most likely to be involved in or have knowledge of the next al Qaeda attacks.

According to the FBI, Gadahn, 25, attended al-Qaida training camps and served as an al-Qaida translator.

The disturbing tape runs an hour -- the man simply identifies himself as 'Assam the American.'

Link to article: http://www.drudgereport.com/abct.htm

Subject: Re: ABC News October surprise? Are they trying to help or hurt President Bush?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/04 at 2:44 pm

Oh gawd, not more Drudge!  Druck fudge!
:P

In the eyes of the partisan Republican press, Bush can do no wrong, and Kerry can do no right.  In spite of the assanine finger-pointing of the Right, the inverse is not true of the so-called liberal media, and the liberal media is a self-serving myth created by the Right as a red herring to pull out whenever they are called on their iniquities.

Sinclair refused to allow its station to show the names of the dead soldiers in Iraq because it was "too political," yet they wanted to run the anti-Kerry scum-prop piece "Stolen Honor."  Gimme a break.

Hey, of course the dissemination of dangerous materials increased because of the Gulf War.  The war was prosecuted behest of the Administrations idealogue screwballs who can't run federal department, can't run an agency, and can't run a war, but they sure can run their mouths.  And yet...Bush will win next Tuesday because a great deal of this country is addled by bone-headed ignorance and evangelical hysteria.  They look toward Bush to return them to a fictional lost land of church, family, country, virtue, and pastoral simplicity--as Bush's corporatist national policy sells national debt to the Red Chinese and national infrastructure to the lowest Third World bidder.

As horrible as America has become in the past 36 months, I thought the Heartland folks would use that yankee ingenuity to figure Bush for a fool.  Nope.  These numb stumps are gonna have to hurt like nobody's hurt since 1932 in order to realize which side the bread is buttered on!

Subject: Re: ABC News October surprise? Are they trying to help or hurt President Bush?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/27/04 at 3:11 pm

We've aleardy seen the october surprise, 380 TONS of high expolsives gone missing AFTER the fall of Bagdad.  Insufficient troopsw to guard the stuff even thoiugh the IAEA warned us that it was there BEFORE the invasion.  I'm sure we will get it all back, of course, the hard way, if you follow my drift.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 6:55 pm

We've aleardy seen the october surprise, 380 TONS of high expolsives gone missing AFTER the fall of Bagdad.  Insufficient troopsw to guard the stuff even thoiugh the IAEA warned us that it was there BEFORE the invasion.  I'm sure we will get it all back, of course, the hard way, if you follow my drift.

Or should that be "Follow your draft"  :-\\

But I feel so much safer, don't you?

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/04 at 7:35 pm

All I can say is ''HAHA'' on this story.  You wanted an October surprise, and you failed.  The reported (who's audio was played Limbaugh and Fox News) said that there were no weapons in that ammo dump, that was two days AFTER the invasion.  Also from the sounds of the way you speak, we should have invaded EARLIER to get those weapons secure, but which party slowed us down?  And I thought Iraq had no WMD's.  Those these aren't nuclear, chemical, or biological, they are powerful enough to kills ten of thousands.  Is that not mass? 

Think about it this way.  There were one million tons of explosives like this in Iraq.  The US-led forces have seized or destroyed nearly half, or 500,000 tons on this stuff.  380 tons is 19/50 of 1%!  That is almost like one bean missing from a 2 pound bag of coffee beans.

So since the story about the 380 tons of explosives hasn't quite turned out to be the smoking gun the media wants it to be, they're now looking for another angle to try.  You do what you gotta do to work for that Kerry victory.  After all, there's still 6 days left....there has to be something in George Bush's past they can dredge up.  In 2000 it was the drunk driving conviction, and the media sure was hoping this explosives thing would seal the deal...but no dice.

How about going back to the old reliable?  Let's dredge up the  Bush National Guard story again!  Even though this has been gone over again and again, and even though CBS lied on the air with forged documents, it doesn't matter.  Time for another whirl in the Texas Air National Guard ferris wheel, circa 1972.  So what now?

New Bush Guard documents show that the President was a capable and well-liked pilot that was honorably discharged.

What also disturbs me is how democrats, and leftists can still even come close to calling CBS anywhere near fair.  We all know now that they were going to try to dump this story 36 hours before the general election.  But even CBS looks good (in my opinion) next to the clowns at CNN.

http://boortz.com/images/kaboom.gif

Written By: philbo on 10/28/04 at 5:01 am

Think about it this way. There were one million tons of explosives like this in Iraq. The US-led forces have seized or destroyed nearly half, or 500,000 tons on this stuff. 380 tons is 19/50 of 1%! That is almost like one bean missing from a 2 pound bag of coffee beans.

Source, please, for the million tons of explosive "like this" - what's gone missing is 380 tons of high explosive... that's >¾million lbs: and we're talking mainly RDX and HDX.  This lot goes off in one go, that's a bang on the same scale as Hiroshima (which is why I'm afraid I don't buy the "million tons" figure).  1lb of HE causes a big enough bang for most terrorist uses...

...and until the invasion, it was safely under lock, key and the watchful eye of the UN.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/04 at 9:47 am

All I can say is ''HAHA'' on this story.  You wanted an October surprise, and you failed.  The reported (who's audio was played Limbaugh and Fox News) said that there were no weapons in that ammo dump, that was two days AFTER the invasion.  Also from the sounds of the way you speak, we should have invaded EARLIER to get those weapons secure, but which party slowed us down?  And I thought Iraq had no WMD's.  Those these aren't nuclear, chemical, or biological, they are powerful enough to kills ten of thousands.  Is that not mass? 

look at the sources... Limbaugh and Faux News, the two biggest liars in the news biz.  If you had read further, you'd have seen that the explosives were there up until one month before the invasion.  Nothing was allowed in or out before that time.  380 TONS of explosives doesn't disappear in one month.  Had we not invaded, the explosives would still be there, and still be monitored.

Despite knowledge that there were hundreds of tons of explosives, the troops didn't search for them when they got there. The area didn't stay secured, and after a few months the looters came in and began selling the stuff off.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=3&u=/nm/20041027/ts_nm/iraq_explosives_pentagon_dc

Perkins said he did not believe that his forces had been informed the IAEA previously had marked and sealed explosives at the site. "This was just another one of those sites that the process was no different. It was no less stringent or more stringent," he told reporters.

The Pentagon is also claiming they couldn't move the stuff after the initial invasion due to the military presence.  What we're being told to believe here, is that we did no survelance of the area during the last month before the invasion (unlikely) and all of it slipped out during that time unnoticed.  No one saw a big convoy of trucks leaving the compound, or more activity, etc. despite having the ability to monitor the entire country with satellites. 

I guess it's not the WMD's the Bushies wanted to belive in so badly, so it wasn't important.

Written By: philbo on 10/28/04 at 11:18 am

..had to get this in while it was still topical:

Three Hunnerd Tons (to 'Sixteen Tons' by Tennessee Ernie Ford)

Incidentally

Think about it this way. There were one million tons of explosives like this in Iraq. The US-led forces have seized or destroyed nearly half, or 500,000 tons on this stuff. 380 tons is 19/50 of 1%! That is almost like one bean missing from a 2 pound bag of coffee beans.

I did some checking: the consensus from the various news sources (Fox, CNN and CBS all agree, so I guess it must  be about right) is that the US has destroyed 240,000 tons out of approximately 400,000 tons of ammunition, explosives and weapons - so the vast majority of that weight is basically going to be metal rather than explosive.  In anybody's book, 380 tons of high explosive is a humungous amount not to be compared to a bag of beans.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/04 at 1:53 pm

Six ounces of that stuff can bring down a jet airliner.  380 tons of missing explosives in the hands of God-knows-whom is hardly a partisan "HAHA."  Some "War on Terror" this is turning out to be!
>:(

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/04 at 4:45 pm

doubters, doubt no more

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S3723.html?cat=1

In one bunker, there were boxes marked with the name "Al Qaqaa", the munitions plant where tons of explosives allegedly went missing.

Once the doors to the bunkers were opened, they weren't secured. They were left open when the 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS crew and the military went back to their base.

yeah, they were clearly gone before the US got there...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/28/04 at 8:11 pm

Six ounces of that stuff can bring down a jet airliner.  380 tons of missing explosives in the hands of God-knows-whom is hardly a partisan "HAHA."  Some "War on Terror" this is turning out to be!
>:(

From what you're saying this was a weapon of mass destruction.  I thought you said there were none?  Again, to bad this has failed your side politically.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/04 at 8:40 pm

doubters, doubt no more

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S3723.html?cat=1

In one bunker, there were boxes marked with the name "Al Qaqaa", the munitions plant where tons of explosives allegedly went missing.

Once the doors to the bunkers were opened, they weren't secured. They were left open when the 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS crew and the military went back to their base.

yeah, they were clearly gone before the US got there...

This was just on CNN.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/04 at 8:45 pm

From what you're saying this was a weapon of mass destruction.  I thought you said there were none?  Again, to bad this has failed your side politically.

well if it is a WMD (which it's not, though it can be added to WMDs) your side gave it away to the terrorists.  Again proving which side Bush wants to support

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/04 at 9:15 pm

well if it is a WMD (which it's not, though it can be added to WMDs) your side gave it away to the terrorists.  Again proving which side Bush wants to support

Is it just me, or does it strike anyone else as sickening the way the Bushies and their press lackeys are trying to make political hay out of an abominable screw-up?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/28/04 at 9:39 pm

So finally John Kerry has decided to face up the reality that there were dangerous weapons in Iraq.  Here we are, five days before the election, and now Kerry has figured out that Saddam had weapons that posed a threat.  Reports that 380 tons of high explosives disappeared from a storage facility have really ignited a fire in the branches of the John Kerry.

Yesterday this was virtually all Kerry could talk about.  Here we are five days before the election, and all this leftist could talk about was this bogus story about 380 tons of explosives that can't be found.  Now ... get this:  If you are a reporter and you call the Kerry campaign office for a definitive statement as to whether or not it is Kerry's position that those explosives were still there when American forces arrived, they will tell you that this is not, in fact, Kerry's position.  Than you go listen to Kerry on the stump he will say that those weapons most definitely were there, and that Bush just let them disappear.

A few points:

1. It's our troops that Kerry is slamming, not Bush. If the explosives were there, it was the job of our troops to secure them.  Bush wasn't there. 
2. ABC News has a rather interesting report.  ABC has a confidential memo from the IAEA which says that inspectors actually documented about three tons of explosives in that facility, not 380 tons.  We'll see if Kerry mentions this discrepancy.
3. And, as you will read in the next segment, Bill Gertz is reporting that it may well have been the Russians who helped Saddam remove these explosives and move them off to Syria.
There is one thing for sure now.  Saddam Hussein is not in possession of those weapons.

Kerry calls it a growing scandal.  The true growing scandal here is that Kerry has nothing else to talk about at this late stage in the election.

Also the Kerry campaign is finally realizing that they don't have a prayer of beating Bush on terror, so they're switching gears to domestic issues.  dip Morris (who worked with Clinton, and is one of the best men around when it comes to politics) says it's too late for that, now that the President is ahead.

Read dip Morris's full analysis at the following link: http://www.thehill.com/morris/102704.aspx

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/04 at 10:09 pm

Is it just me, or does it strike anyone else as sickening the way the Bushies and their press lackeys are trying to make political hay out of an abominable screw-up?

I just love the "Buck stops everywhere but here" policy they employ.

Written By: philbo on 10/29/04 at 1:32 pm

From what you're saying this was a weapon of mass destruction. I thought you said there were none? Again, to bad this has failed your side politically.

Before the invasion, this cache was under UN lock and key (which is how we know it was there in the first place) - so to use it as justification for said invasion is just a little disingenuous, don't you think?

1. It's our troops that Kerry is slamming, not Bush. If the explosives were there, it was the job of our troops to secure them.  Bush wasn't there. 

The troops were given the priority of securing the oil fields before the arms caches, so when they came back to this place it had been fairly comprehensively looted.  I'd say that the point Kerry's trying to make (at least, this is how I hear what's been played over here) is not to bash the troops who were doing the job they'd been given, but point out that if the objective was really a war on terror the troops might have been given different priorities.

2. ABC News has a rather interesting report.  ABC has a confidential memo from the IAEA which says that inspectors actually documented about three tons of explosives in that facility, not 380 tons.  We'll see if Kerry mentions this discrepancy.

I think you'll find that "three tons" figure refers only to RDX, that they've realized that some of that had been used for non-military purposes in the year before the invasion.  So that's only 215 tons of HMX to worry about then...

3. And, as you will read in the next segment, Bill Gertz is reporting that it may well have been the Russians who helped Saddam remove these explosives and move them off to Syria.

With what evidence?  Those suppositions seem to me to have been fairly comprehensively shot down.

Written By: saver on 10/29/04 at 2:33 pm

Don't think Kerry gets it....

Many people hate Americans and WANT US DEAD..for him to pick on Bush saying how NOW the many countries are turning against America, he doesn't get it!

Didn't he vote against the GULF WAR as well??

He shows NO leadership....that's not what I want....

If war wasn't in the picture I still don't think of Kerry for the job...
Then again neither would be my choice...
HAPPY VOTING AMERICA :D ;D :) 

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/29/04 at 4:18 pm

True enough, but shouldn't we then be fighting said people?  If memory serves, it was Al Qaeda (Taliban, Afghanistan, different country) who masterminded 9-11, not Iraq. ::)

My neighbors hated me for many years, but my response was not to fight them.  Admittadly, they did't try to burn my house down - that would require an agressive response.  Rather, I tried to be nice to them.  I informed them of a missing slate on their roof, that their dog had gotten loose, etc.  At the same time I insisted on my rights regarding our shared driveway etc. 

Invading Afganistan was the right thing to do, the only thing to do, but war is not a solution.  There is a  line from Casablanca, that Bogart classic, where Victor Lazlow says "Even Germans can't kill that fast".  Same thing here.  To win the war on terrorists we have to first kill the terrorists are are already committed, but more importantly, convince others that they can't get what they want that way, and that we are willing to support their legitimate asperations for autonomy and respect, ie win "the hearts and minds" of potential terrorists.

I have said before, in old threads, that "terrorism" isn't the enemy, it is a tactic.  You can't defeat a tactic.  The enemy is, in this case, Islamic fundamentalism (not Islam itself).  Islamic fundamentalists can only be defeated by convincing other Muslims that their religion can co-exist with the modern world, and that we are willing to pay a fair price for their oil.

Clearly, these are ideas that are far beyond the narrow comprehension and distorted world view of Lil' Georgie and his neocon handlers.

Written By: Hairspray on 10/30/04 at 10:23 am

HAPPY VOTING AMERICA :D ;D :) 

Thank you! :D Kerry's winning too, I predict.

Check for new replies or respond here...