» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Man kills self over Bush's reelection.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/07/04 at 9:30 am

Of course there might have been other reasons....no note was found....
Man Kills Self at Ground Zero
Saturday, November 06, 2004

NEW YORK — A 25-year-old university worker from Georgia shot and killed himself at ground zero Saturday morning, authorities said.

The man, Andrew Veal, of Athens, Ga., was found atop the structure housing the 1 and 9 subway lines after a hotel worker spotted what he believed was somebody sleeping inside the site around 8 a.m., said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found near the body, Coleman said. No suicide note was found, he said.

Veal apparently was distraught over President Bush's re-election, Newsday reported Saturday on its Web site edition, citing an unnamed police source. The newspaper also said the man was a registered Democrat who opposed the war in Iraq.

Coleman said he could not confirm Newsday's account.

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry, friends said Saturday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137837,00.html

Subject: Re: Man kills self over Bush's reelection.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/07/04 at 9:41 am

For whatever reason he did it, it's sad that a young man has died. I'm sorry to hear about this :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/04 at 2:16 pm

I'm sure he isn't the only one.  If Kerry had one, there would have been suicides too.  There are numerous people on the edge every day.  All it takes is one more black cloud to drive them over!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/07/04 at 3:59 pm

There are some stories that shouldn't be made light over.  The man was probably mentally ill
and if it wasn't this it would have been something else, but the reasons used by the suicide are
99% of the time not the reason they do it.  Sometimes it is best to leave off of stories like this, and
to use them as a political joke is unconscionable.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/07/04 at 5:21 pm

There are some stories that shouldn't be made light over. The man was probably mentally ill
and if it wasn't this it would have been something else, but the reasons used by the suicide are
99% of the time not the reason they do it. Sometimes it is best to leave off of stories like this, and

I agree, Danoota.  This poor man probably had a lot of other problems.  As much as some hate Bush, I can't think of anyone I know (on-line or real life) that would commit suicide over his re-election.  It is just too bad that he didn't get help before it went too far.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/04 at 7:53 pm

There are some stories that shouldn't be made light over.  The man was probably mentally ill
99% of the time not the reason they do it.  Sometimes it is best to leave off of stories like this, and

I would say most of the time the reasons for suicide are very clear.  We may not support the individual's decision to commit suicide, but the reasons, once known, leave little doubt. 

In the case of a person killing himself over the loss of Sen. Kerry, he's probably suffering from severe depression accompanied by another psychiatric problem.

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 11/08/04 at 10:52 am

I would say most of the time the reasons for suicide are very clear.  We may not support the individual's decision to commit suicide, but the reasons, once known, leave little doubt. 

In the case of a person killing himself over the loss of Sen. Kerry, he's probably suffering from severe depression accompanied by another psychiatric problem.
Sad but true :(

Check for new replies or respond here...