» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Instant Runoff Voting

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/09/04 at 4:00 pm

I think this is what we really need.  You rank the candidates in order of preference.  If none gets 50% + 1 you drop the lowest vote getter and reallocate all his/her first choice votes to the second choices until a clear winner emerges.  No more spoilers, and it encourages more candidates to run.  I also think electoral votes should be distributed preportionally.

Subject: Re: Instant Runoff Voting

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/04 at 5:05 pm

I think this is what we really need.  You rank the candidates in order of preference.  If none gets 50% + 1 you drop the lowest vote getter and reallocate all his/her first choice votes to the second choices until a clear winner emerges.  No more spoilers, and it encourages more candidates to run.  I also think electoral votes should be distributed preportionally.

I'm not sure instant runoff would work very well in America, but I definitely want to see something other than winner take all.  I would also like to see federal standards on election procedures.  As it is now, the old segregationist states get up to their old tricks on election day.  I want also to see a federal law abolishing the practice of disenfranchising felons for life.  You pay your debt to to society, you should be able to rejoin it as a full citizen and not have to wear the scarlet letter for the rest of your life.  Since African Americans get convicted at a disproportionate rate to whites in states that disenfranchise ex-cons, the system is inherently racist.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/04 at 6:14 pm

I agree.  If one candidate gets 1 more vote than another in a certain state, then they get ALL the electoral votes (barring Maine & New Mexico, of course).  Just doesn't seem fair to me.  I think they should base the electoral votes on the % of popular votes in a given state.  For example, OH has 20 electoral votes...for argument's sake, lets say 75% of the vote goes for Bush and 25% for Kerry.  Bush should get 15 EC votes & Kerry 5.  That way, the EC stands and it's not totally based on popular vote.  Or, if Bush gets 60%, he gets 12 & Kerry gets 8.  It makes for a much "truer" representation of the "will of the people".

Don't hold your breath for reforms any time soon, not with Republicans running the joint!

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/10/04 at 1:59 pm

I'm not sure instant runoff would work very well in America.

Don't see why not, it works well in several places, or so I've heard.  Why don't you think it would work?

Don't hold your breath for reforms any time soon, not with Republicans running the joint!

On this we agree.

Check for new replies or respond here...