» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ASHCROFT AND EVANS RESIGN!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/04 at 7:14 pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=2&u=/nm/20041109/pl_nm/bush_cabinet_dc

Thoughts?

Cat

Subject: Re: ASHCROFT AND EVANS RESIGN!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/04 at 7:51 pm

The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train!

Bush got that nutjob Ashcroft through in 2001 before 9/11 and without a bicameral Republican majority.  The Christian Right now believes it has a "mandate" to demand anything it wants and expect the Bush Administration to capitulate to anything it demands.  Ashcroft might look moderate compared to the next AG!

Evans schmevans, they'll just appoint some other right-wing clown for Commerce Secretary, it's the AG vacancy that makes me nervous.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/10/04 at 12:34 am

This is not unusual for a President elected to a second term. Clinton's Cabinet quit in droves after the 1996 election. And even George Stephanopolous resigned. It is surprising it was Ashcroft and Evans and not Donald Rumsfeld or Colin Powell. I believe more resignations will follow.

Written By: AL-B on 11/10/04 at 12:35 am

Maybe they'll replace Ashcroft with a dead man...MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/04 at 10:26 am

LMAO!!!

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/10/04 at 12:41 pm

I expect more resignations b/c Bush is trying to create a positive legacy for the end of this term. He doesn't want to be known as the most reviled president (which will happen anyway).

Tanya

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/10/04 at 1:54 pm

Hillarious!!!!!!!!!!

From what I hear, those being mentioned, while conservative, are not Christian fundamentalists.  They might even take the drapes of the statue of Juistice.

Written By: Davester on 11/10/04 at 4:40 pm

The last four years have been awful for Ashcroft. The people in his state preferred a dead man to John Ashcroft. He's embarrassed himself, been ridiculed and reviled, and heaven only knows what another four years of dealing with Zacarias Moussouai would do to his seemingly fragile mental health. Sometimes I think his appointment was something to give him a brighter closing chapter to his career in public service than being beaten by a dead man and then whipped in court (especially when he had a reasonable case) by the dead man's wife. That still doesn't make sense to me, but if he can't make that argument, no wonder Moussouai is such a handful for him.

I think his departure is a mutual agreement. From his side, he's probably tired. From any other view, he's rather incompetent and warped. That and he probably told Bush he wasn't going to end his career arguing against the Fourteenth Amendment. Even a man I hold in such low esteem as our outgoing Attorney General, he must necessarily carry with him some standard of dignity:

"George, I've been beaten at the ballot box by a dead man; I was unable to figure out how to wrench the seat away from his wife; I can't take another day with that semi-literate whack job we're never going to convict: I've already trampled the Constitution and this office enough. Without a Constitutional Amendment, you're going to lose the d.a.m.n gay thing, and there's nothing you or I can do about it.  I've put in too much to carry this last stain on my family's name."

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/11/04 at 4:14 pm

And so the nominee will be white house council Gonzalez.  Not my first pick of those who have been mentioned, given his advice to Lil' Georgie re prisoners of war and the Geneva Conventions.  I sure hope he remembers his Latino roots.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/04 at 6:28 pm

And so the nominee will be white house council Gonzalez.  Not my first pick of those who have been mentioned, given his advice to Lil' Georgie re prisoners of war and the Geneva Conventions.  I sure hope he remembers his Latino roots.

The lowdown on Alberto Gonzales:
1. He was a lawyer for Enron.
2. He has never published anything in scholarly legal journals.
3. He has never tried a case.
4. He was only a real estate lawyer before Enron and his appointment to the TX supreme court.
5. He called the Geneva convention protocols "quaint."
6. He believes torture is OK when interrogating suspected terrorists.
Typical Bush appointee, unqualified, inexperienced, cynical, and in the corporate pocket.  Yet he doesn't scare me quite as much as Ashcroft.  He's moderate on social issues, and he's not a raving evangelical who thinks Jesus is America's king.

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 2:37 pm

The lowdown on Alberto Gonzales:
1. He was a lawyer for Enron.
2. He has never published anything in scholarly legal journals.
3. He has never tried a case.
4. He was only a real estate lawyer before Enron and his appointment to the TX supreme court.
5. He called the Geneva convention protocols "quaint."
6. He believes torture is OK when interrogating suspected terrorists.
Typical Bush appointee, unqualified, inexperienced, cynical, and in the corporate pocket.  Yet he doesn't scare me quite as much as Ashcroft.  He's moderate on social issues, and he's not a raving evangelical who thinks Jesus is America's king.
Hey, just be thankful they didn't go with their original plan to re-animate Joe McCarthy!

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/04 at 4:26 pm

Hey, just be thankful they didn't go with their original plan to re-animate Joe McCarthy!

Actually, a dead guy as AG might have been an improvement.  Gonzales is clearly not first rate legal talent, but he isn't as bad as Ashcroft.  Bye Bye John, live long and prosper - out of public (did)service.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 4:38 pm

And right now Sec. of education Rod Paige has resigned.  No big deal there.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/04 at 4:43 pm

And right now Sec. of education Rod Paige has resigned.  No big deal there.

Haden't heard, but the guy was a... at best a jerk.  I hate to think who his replacement will be though.  Probably some creationist.

Written By: Satish on 11/16/04 at 1:22 am

From what I hear, those being mentioned, while conservative, are not Christian fundamentalists.  They might even take the drapes of the statue of Juistice.

You should know that the story about Ashcroft covering up that statue in the Great Hall of the Justice Department because he was offended by its depiction of a nude body is an urban legend that isn't true:

When President Bush visited the Justice Department to rededicate the building to Robert Kennedy, his advance men insisted on a nice blue backdrop: "TV blue," infinitely preferable to the usual dingy background of the Great Hall. Everyone thought the backdrop worked nicely — made for "good visuals," as they say. This was Deaverism, pure and simple. Ashcroft's people intended to keep using it.

An advance woman on his team had the bright idea of buying the backdrop: It would be cheaper than renting it repeatedly. So she did — without Ashcroft's knowledge, without his permission, without his caring, everyone in the department insists.

But ABC put out the story that Ashcroft, the old prude, had wanted the Breast covered up, so much did it offend his churchly sensibilities. New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, ever clever, wrote that Ashcroft had forced a "blue burka" on Minnie Lou. Comedians had a field day (and are still having it). The Washington Post has devoted great space to the story, letting Cher, for example, tee off on it — as she went on to do on David Letterman's show.

And yet the story is complete and total bunk. First, Ashcroft had nothing to do with the purchase of the backdrop. Second, the backdrop had nothing to do with Breast aversion. But the story was just "too good to check," as we say, and it will probably live forever. Generations from now, if we're reading about John Ashcroft, we will read that he was the boob who draped the Boob. The story is ineffaceable.

from this site:
http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback-nordlinger072402.asp

Check for new replies or respond here...