» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Scott Peterson trial

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/12/04 at 9:18 am

I put this here as it might get a bit heated...

I'm sure eveyone has heard that they have now removed 3 jury members--the foreman being the latest.  It makes me sick to my stomach to think that he might "get off" because of it.  What are everyone else's thoughts?

Subject: Re: Scott Peterson trial

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/04 at 11:42 am

If the judge declares a mistrial, I wonder how long it will take for people to finally lose enough interest to stop the media circus.  Probably never!
:P
There's still the occasional supermarket tabloid headline about JonBenet Ramsey.  Get a life you people!

I think Greta Van Susteren should rename her show "I Love Laci."
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/12/04 at 2:13 pm

I tend to put the onus on the prosecution.  How could this have been so badly screwed up. 

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 2:31 pm

At the risk of sounding like a complete a--hole, could someone please tell me why I am supposed to care about this?  If this crime had taken place in, say, Duluth, Minnesota would it have attracted the attention of the national media? No way. But since it happened in Southern California and the parties in question just happened to be young and good-looking (and white!), this is supposed to somehow affect my life. Please.
    Remember the movie Bruce Almighty? If I were so fortunate to possess God-like powers for a day, the very first thing I would do is dispatch a series of F-5 tornadoes to Los Angeles. They would leave the general population unharmed but they would completely flatten every last media outlet in that God-awful town.

Written By: Jessica on 11/12/04 at 2:55 pm

At the risk of sounding like a complete a--hole, could someone please tell me why I am supposed to care about this?  If this crime had taken place in, say, Duluth, Minnesota would it have attracted the attention of the national media? No way. But since it happened in Southern California and the parties in question just happened to be young and good-looking (and white!), this is supposed to somehow affect my life. Please.
    Remember the movie Bruce Almighty? If I were so fortunate to possess God-like powers for a day, the very first thing I would do is dispatch a series of F-5 tornadoes to Los Angeles. They would leave the general population unharmed but they would completely flatten every last media outlet in that God-awful town.

It didn't happen in Southern California. Modesto is in the north and the trial is being held in Redwood City...also in the north. They only found Scott Peterson in the south when they were looking for him and the coward was trying to run across the border. :P

Even I'll admit that the media is getting out of hand on this, but I barely paid any attention to it until they started throwing jurors off the bench. Like Cheerleader though, it annoys the hell out of me that he might get off with a mistrial. Yay American justice.

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 2:59 pm

It didn't happen in Southern California. Modesto is in the north and the trial is being held in Redwood City...also in the north. They only found Scott Peterson in the south when they were looking for him and the coward was trying to run across the border. :P
I stand corrected. That only goes to show how much attention I've been paying.

Written By: Jessica on 11/12/04 at 3:09 pm

I stand corrected. That only goes to show how much attention I've been paying.

I still like your idea about the F5 tornadoes and the LA media. ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/04 at 3:47 pm

From what I gather, not having paid much attention to this, is that the evidance is all circumstantial, although the guy is a scum bag and his attempted flight looks bad.  My gut tells me he did it, but I'm not sure how I would react if I were on the jury.  I'm just saying that we need to take "reasonable doubt" seriously.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/04 at 6:11 pm

PETERSON'S BEEN FOUND GUILTY!

Bye bye, Scott, and don't drop the soap!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 6:21 pm

PETERSON'S BEEN FOUND GUILTY!

Bye bye, Scott, and don't drop the soap!

Yep.  From what I am hearing, he will most likely get the death penalty. 

Scott meet the gas chamber.  Gas chamber, meet Scott.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/04 at 6:28 pm

They still use the gas chamber in California?  Brutal!  Ain't that too bad, Scottie?

Written By: Davester on 11/12/04 at 6:28 pm

The gas chamber as a means of execution was ruled unconstitutional in 1996.  California now uses a lethal injection to execute condemned criminals...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/04 at 6:33 pm

The gas chamber as a means of execution was ruled unconstitutional in 1996.  California now uses a lethal injection to execute condemned criminals...

That's what I seem to remember.  I guess it's the hot shot for Scott!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 6:37 pm

Wow I haven't been paying attention.  I know California (before that ruling) was the only state still using the gas chamber. 

I think every state with the death penalty now uses either the electric chair or lethal injection.  I guess California went with the injection....which figures.  Either way he'll be dead, just to bad he is getting off so easy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/04 at 7:00 pm

Here is a list of death penalty states and the methods they allow.  All states authorizing capital punishment now  use lethal injection or electrocution as the primary method.  Those allowing a second method use it only if the condemned person requests it, or if lethal injection cannot be attained for whatever reason.  Bear in mind, many states use the death penalty rarely.  Some have it on the books but have not executed a convict in many decades.  The only states using electrocution as their sole method are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Nebraska.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/dpmethods.html

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 7:10 pm

The only states using electrocution as their sole method are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Nebraska.

Go Georgia.

I noticed 35 states and the federal government use lethal injection (as does the military.)  Where are those other 15 states, did they ban the death penalty?

Who knew we had so many ways: Lethal Injection, Electric chair, Hanging (legal in 3 states,) Firing Squad (legal in 3 different states,) and the gas chamber (legal in 5, though not allowed in California due to the 9th circuit court's ruling.)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/12/04 at 7:54 pm

Go Georgia.

I noticed 35 states and the federal government use lethal injection (as does the military.)  Where are those other 15 states, did they ban the death penalty?

Who knew we had so many ways: Lethal Injection, Electric chair, Hanging (legal in 3 states,) Firing Squad (legal in 3 different states,) and the gas chamber (legal in 5, though not allowed in California due to the 9th circuit court's ruling.)

I believe of the New England States it is banned except Connecticut and New Hampshire, but they have
opted not to use it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/12/04 at 7:56 pm

I think that Babylonian King Hammarubi had it right all those centuries ago.

Take this Petersen guy, tie some cement weights to him then take him for a swim in San Francisco Bay.  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/12/04 at 7:58 pm

Take this Petersen guy, tie some cement weights to him then take him for a swim in San Francisco Bay.  >:(
I couldn't agree more :)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/12/04 at 8:39 pm

I am glad they found him guilty.  Too bad it won't bring back Laci and Conner.

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 8:59 pm

The only states using electrocution as their sole method are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Nebraska.
Nebraska has been discussing doing away with the electric chair.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/04 at 9:33 pm

Nebraska has been discussing doing away with the electric chair.

I wish states would do away with the death penalty altogether.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 11:07 pm

I wish states would do away with the death penalty altogether.

Whats the deal?  Your state has already banned it, along with 14 other states and the District of Columbia.  And of the other 35 states, almost all use a weak lethal injection, which gives the cold-blooded murderer a nice painless death.  And the military and the federal government use lethal injection as well....as far as I am concerned the liberals are winning the death penalty battle.  I thought it would be 4-6 states, but FIFTEEN!  The only victory I see us having is the fact that most states (35 out of 50) and the federal government does it.  But still....FIFTEEN.

Again, your state has already banned it, so what is the deal?  You stick to your state, I'll stick to mine.  Either way, it is time to break out the marshmellows, for a good old fashioned Scott fry.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/04 at 11:28 pm

I believe of the New England States it is banned except Connecticut and New Hampshire, but they have
opted not to use it.

The list Maxwell posted (which is current) shows the following northeastern states allow lethal injection (and they use it): Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and New York.

Also let me add I got my figures wrong....the death penalty is allowed in the federal government, the military, and 38 states.  Earlier I said 35, but it is 38.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/13/04 at 12:07 am

Actually, I have a great way to handle Scott Petterson.

Let him go.

Yes, I think they should simply let him go.  Take him to someplace like the middle of Iowa, and drop him off in the middle of nowhere, with no money.

I bet he would not even make it to the state line.

Sorta reminds me of a community (I want to say it was in Texas) that passed a new law after the US Supreme Court said it was legal to burn a US Flag.  Their response was to pass a law which said that beating a flag burner was an infraction, and the person convicted would recieve a $5 fine.  I am sure that it was never tested, but it sure did send a message.

Written By: Davester on 11/13/04 at 4:23 am

I should say, even without having sat on the jury; even without having read the transcript of the trial; even without having examined the evidence; even without knowing how to examine the evidence; even without having questioned Peterson and the witnesses...kinda seems like he murdered his wife and unborn child...I just don't think they had a good enough case against him

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/04 at 7:53 am

I should say, even without having sat on the jury; even without having read the transcript of the trial; even without having examined the evidence; even without knowing how to examine the evidence; even without having questioned Peterson and the witnesses...kinda seems like he murdered his wife and unborn child...I just don't think they had a good enough case against him

I think he did it.  I also think the prosecution, just as with the OJ, case bungled it.  I'm also against the death penalty for many reasons.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/04 at 4:06 pm

Whats the deal?  Your state has already banned it, along with 14 other states and the District of Columbia.  And of the other 35 states, almost all use a weak lethal injection, which gives the cold-blooded murderer a nice painless death.  And the military and the federal government use lethal injection as well....as far as I am concerned the liberals are winning the death penalty battle.  I thought it would be 4-6 states, but FIFTEEN!  The only victory I see us having is the fact that most states (35 out of 50) and the federal government does it.  But still....FIFTEEN.

Again, your state has already banned it, so what is the deal?  You stick to your state, I'll stick to mine.  Either way, it is time to break out the marshmellows, for a good old fashioned Scott fry.

Relax, Scott might not get a death sentence at all, and if he does, he might not be exucted for ten or fifteen years!

I've already discussed my objections to capital punishment, but in a nutshell:
1. It's irreversible.
2. It is meted out on defendents who can't afford good counsel.
3. Relating to the above, it is imposed disproportionately on African Americans and Latinos.
4. It is not a deterrent.
5. It provokes vengeful attitudes.  I want my government in the business of justice, not vengeance.
6. It is not cost effective.  Capital cases and all their appeals cost more to try than life imprisonment.

A lot of your conservatives will say, "let's make it cost effective by doing away with appeals."  If you do away with appeals, it is guaranteed you will execute more innocent people than have already been executed in America.  There has been an astounding number of cases in which the individual was proved innocent after execution, or mitigating evidence came to light after the fact that would have disqualified the convict from a death sentence.

I realize I'm in a minority of Americans, but I don't stand up for what I believe in because it's popular, but because I think it is right.

That said, I won't shed any tears for Scottie if he gets the hot shot.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/13/04 at 4:31 pm

Relax, Scott might not get a death sentence at all, and if he does, he might not be exucted for ten or fifteen years!

Fox News said the average time it takes to get someone executed in California is 22 years! 

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/13/04 at 4:36 pm

I think the death sentance id both barbaric and ineffective.  I certainly would prefer a quick exit than rotting in jail for the rest of my life. 

I'm also glad Peterson was convicted.  My gut tells me he did it.  And I applaude Amber Fry for comming forward.  That took guts and was probably crucial to the conviction.  I also thiunk she was quite lucky.  If I'm not mistaken, she has a kid, and therefore could have been next.

Check for new replies or respond here...