» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Fox News coming to Canada.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/19/04 at 3:29 am

Maybe now they will get some balance, especially from the idiots at The Globe and Mail who wrote the following article:

By OLIVER MOORE
Globe and Mail Update

Fox News coming to Canada
CRTC approves conservative channel for digital broadcast

Canadians will soon have access to the “Fair and Balanced” broadcasts of Rupert Murdoch's Fox News.

The station was approved Thursday by the CRTC, which said that “there is substantial demand in Canada for Fox News.” It will be available to digital subscribers as early as next year.

Rejecting complaints about the station's “alleged ... ideological slant” the CRTC decided against imposing any extra conditions on Fox News.

The CRTC said that it had received 531 statements supporting Fox and only 82 opposed. But, to what extent the station's admittedly conservative views will be welcomed in Canada remains to be seen.

Critics say that, far from being as "Fair and Balanced" as their slogan declares, the station is essentially a house organ for the Bush White House. Pointing to statistics which show that many Fox viewers believe that Iraqis used weapons of mass destruction against invading U.S. forces, that the world backed the invasion and that Saddam Hussein was intimately connected to the terrorist attacks of September 2001, they argue that Fox is a source of misinformation more than news.

The station's commentators make no apologies for their views, arguing that they are a leavening influence in a media landscape dominated by “liberals” and other evils. Even Cable News Network, well to the right of most Canadian media, has been derided for not being hard line enough. Top Fox commentator Bill O'Reilly has dismissed The Globe and Mail as “a far-left newspaper.”

Launched eight years ago by an adviser to several former Republican presidents of the United States, Fox News is built around high-profile commentators who have become media celebrities. It claims to have 80 million subscribers.

The Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association asked in April for permission to carry Fox News to Canadians with digital cable, satellite or wireless television service

Link to the above article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041118.wtvfox1118/BNStory/National/

Other links: http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BAF06B093-56DF-48CB-B6DB-E2DAE68E51D6%7D&siteid=google&dist=google

--The Globe and Mail honestly makes me sick, long before this article/crap was written. 

-If I may quote Bill O'Reilly: ''The Globe and Mail makes The New York Times looks like The Pat Robinson and Jerry Falwell Newsletter.''  Glad to see whatever moderates and conservatives still exist in Canada won't soon be forced to watch the daily puke from the Communist News Network (CNN.)

Subject: Re: Fox News coming to Canada.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/19/04 at 12:10 pm

i look forward to it. it good to get two sides of a story. the canadian media has always been traditionally liberal.

Written By: conker on 11/19/04 at 12:21 pm

I was wondering how long it would take GWB to find this.
So now we have it it remains to be seen who will actually purchase the channel.

As for Bill O' and his critique of the Globe, I'd have to say hte Globe is consevartive in the old  pre Thatcher meaning.  Follows/is the establishment and is consevrative fiscally.  It is not the neo-con organ that FCN is.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/19/04 at 12:37 pm

I'd apologize to Canada for having to endure this crap, but Murdoch is Australian, so that's where the blame is laid... sorry folks, the US can't take responsibility for every piece of bad TV produced, just most of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/04 at 1:02 pm

I'd apologize to Canada for having to endure this crap, but Murdoch is Australian, so that's where the blame is laid... sorry folks, the US can't take responsibility for every piece of bad TV produced, just most of it.

Indeed, my apologies all ye sensible citizens of Canada. 

Remember, Chucky, Murdoch enjoys duel citizenship in America and Australia.  He became an American citizen to further his business interests.

Sputnikcorp wrote
i look forward to it. it good to get two sides of a story. the canadian media has always been traditionally liberal.
Yeah, if one of those sides happens to be bullsh*t, you're all set with FOX News!
::)

Written By: McDonald on 11/19/04 at 1:55 pm

I have heard a lot of things about Canadian media being liberally biased, but I think a point of information needs to be put forth. "Left-wing" is a term that does not share the same boundaries across the border. The general status quo in Canada (even more so in Ontario, where the Toronto Globe is published) is what many Americans will call 'liberal', but in Canada this is just the norm. To the average Canadian in Ontario, a Left-wing publication would be something like the NDP Newsletter which would obviously be slanted, or something more along the lines of Communist Journal (just an example, not a real publication). The Democratic party in America is considered by the rest of the West, as something closer to the centre than the far left. So you can imagine where this puts the Republican party.

This is not to say that there aren't major parties in Canada who are more akin to the US Republicans, there are... the biggest would be the New Conservatives, whose base lies in the Western Provinces like Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. There are other parties too, but they don't quite measure up (i.e. The Western Canada Concept) ::shudder::. With Conservative voters, Fox News will enjoy a Canadian audience... though it will be almost entirely in the Western Provinces. Liberalism abounds in the Central, Eastern, and Atlantic provinces (save for the Bloq, the separatist party in Quebec, which always grabs the majority of Quebec's Commons-seats). But even in Quebec, those who are not voting Bloq (i.e. Anglophones and sensible Francophones) usually go Liberal.

What I'm excited about is the rising popularity of the NDP, who will battle the Paul Martin Liberals for a truly liberal government that is less facetious when it comes to finances, and more concerned with the maintenance of the welfare state, and the sovereignty of the country. This is where the parliamentary system prevails over the US system, in that there is no fear of 'throwing one's vote away' by voting for a minority party. The NDP will slowly but surely come to dominate the House of Commons, but while they are curbing the Liberal's control, there is no risk of disrupting the common liberal agenda of the two parties, for they will align themselves to fight the Conservatives at any time they may be threatening the interest of the country. Westminster style parliamentary democracy is brilliant with a capital 'B'.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/19/04 at 4:16 pm

I absolutely agree that a multi-party parlimentary system is much more democratic that the system we enduree here in the states.  What you must recognize, though, is that our system works the way it was designed by those rich white guys back in 1789.  Hamilton said "All societies consist of two classes, the rich and well born and the masses of the people.  Give to the first class a perminant share of government."  That is exactly what they did, and what we have.

And by the way, have you heard that Canadian immigration lawyers are being deluged with requests for information from down south?  Looks like the best and the brightest are planning their get-a-way.  Cat and I are thinking about it.  So are my highly educated and talanted kids.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/19/04 at 7:05 pm

Apologize for having more choices and more voices?  I'm sure the people in the western part of Canada are glad they no longer even have to look at the biased sh** coming out of CNN and Al-Jazeera.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/04 at 7:19 pm

Apologize for having more choices and more voices?  I'm sure the the people in the western part of Canada are glad they no longer even have to look at the biased sh** coming out of CNN and Al-Jazeera.

Oh, now they can see biased sh** coming out of Republican Cupcakeland!  It might do OK with right-wingers on the prairies, but it won't sell in Vancouver!

Written By: Satish on 11/20/04 at 1:27 am

Hey, the Globe and Mail is the newspaper I read most of the time. I'd believe something I read in it much more than anything I heard Bill O'Reilly say.

O'Reilly's just mad cause the G & M tv critic John Doyle made fun of him in a column. He compared him to Napoleon Solo from "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

What I believe he wrote was:

Watching Fox News is like watching an old rerun of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E" with Bill O'Reilly as Napoleon Solo and the enemy that everyone's watching out for is something called 'the liberal media elite' or 'loonie left.'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/04 at 3:34 am

Hey, the Globe and Mail is the newspaper I read most of the time. I'd believe something I read in it much more than anything I heard Bill O'Reilly say.

O'Reilly's just mad cause the G & B tv critic John Doyle made fun of him in a column. He compared him to Napoleon Solo from "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

What I believe he wrote was:

Watching Fox News is like watching an old rerun of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E" with Bill O'Reilly as Napoleon Solo and the enemy that everyone's watching out for is something called 'the liberal media elite' or 'loonie left.'

That's a pretty good assessment.  I also think O'Reilly tries to play Ward Cleaver to the whole g@dd@m country.  He even uses similar vocal inflections and mannerisms to the late Hugh Beaumont at times.  It's wacked!
::)

Written By: Davester on 11/22/04 at 12:39 pm

And by the way, have you heard that Canadian immigration lawyers are being deluged with requests for information from down south?  Looks like the best and the brightest are planning their get-a-way.  Cat and I are thinking about it.  So are my highly educated and talanted kids.

As far as I can tell, if Bush's bullsh@t pretense for war wasn't cause to get down and bloody in the street, then it's certainly not time to be running to Canada, Don.  Americans forget that when they flood into an area, they inherently wreck everything that makes the area attractive. ("Oooh. It's beautiful out here. So many trees. Let's build subdevelopments and shopping centers and roads and schools and waste treatment plants and an airport and . . . .") Nothing would muck-up Canada like a million American political refugees looking for a Starbuck's fix while complaining about cell phone coverage...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 12:43 pm

I am looking forward this as much as I am looking forward to my next dental appointment!

Written By: conker on 11/22/04 at 2:38 pm

As far as I can tell, if Bush's bullsh@t pretense for war wasn't cause to get down and bloody in the street, then it's certainly not time to be running to Canada, Don.  Americans forget that when they flood into an area, they inherently wreck everything that makes the area attractive. ("Oooh. It's beautiful out here. So many trees. Let's build subdevelopments and shopping centers and roads and schools and waste treatment plants and an airport and . . . .") Nothing would muck-up Canada like a million American political refugees looking for a Starbuck's fix while complaining about cell phone coverage...

Evidently you've never visited any of our cities.  On our own we have cut down the trees and put up a parking lot to quote a great Canadian singer.  And we do have Starbucks on every corner competting with our home grown Tim Horton's home of the double double.
Come on up just leave your politics at home.

Written By: McDonald on 11/22/04 at 10:36 pm

Evidently you've never visited any of our cities.  On our own we have cut down the trees and put up a parking lot to quote a great Canadian singer.  And we do have Starbucks on every corner competting with our home grown Tim Horton's home of the double double.
Come on up just leave your politics at home.

I loves me some Joni Mitchell.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/04 at 1:06 am

I loves me some Joni Mitchell.

Yeah, but you just can't beat BC's favorite son, Bryan Adams...
If the feelin's right, I'm gonna run all night, I'm gonna run to you...

Check for new replies or respond here...