» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Too much SALT kills 3-year-old.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/22/04 at 6:59 pm

What the f*** is WRONG with people!!??

http://www.independent.co.uk/img/newsite/furniture/indy_site_logo.gif

Couple killed child with salt, court told
By James Sturcke

20 November 2004

A couple killed a three-year-old boy they were hoping to adopt by poisoning him with salt, a court was told yesterday. Ian and Angela Gay, from Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, were accused of feeding Christian Blewitt up to four teaspoons of salt after he failed to meet their expectations.

Christian and his younger brother and sister were placed with the defendants as prospective parents in November 2002.

Julie Macur QC, for the prosecution, told Worcester Crown Court that the boy was admitted to hospital in a critical condition less than two months later. She said tests revealed excess levels of sodium and chlorine in his blood, equivalent to 40g of salt, and that he had suffered a brain haemorrhage. He died four days later.

She told the court: "Mr Gay told police when interviewed that Christian was a liability and not too bright. This is an indication that the children had to fit their lifestyle and Christian did not come up to proof." Ian Gay, 37, and Angela Gay, 38, deny murder, manslaughter and cruelty to a child. They are accused of causing Christian to collapse by feeding him poisonous levels of salt and by shaking him or hitting his head on a firm surface.

Miss Macur said that a post-mortem examination revealed 11 areas of bruising to the top of Christian's head, which were not apparent externally.

She said that the cause of death was swelling of the brain due to a blunt-force injury.

The trial continues.

Link to the above article: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/story.jsp?story=584796

Subject: Re: Too much SALT kills 3-year-old.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/04 at 7:43 pm

What the f*** is WRONG with people!!??

http://www.independent.co.uk/img/newsite/furniture/indy_site_logo.gif

Couple killed child with salt, court told
By James Sturcke

20 November 2004

A couple killed a three-year-old boy they were hoping to adopt by poisoning him with salt, a court was told yesterday. Ian and Angela Gay, from Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, were accused of feeding Christian Blewitt up to four teaspoons of salt after he failed to meet their expectations.

Christian and his younger brother and sister were placed with the defendants as prospective parents in November 2002.

Julie Macur QC, for the prosecution, told Worcester Crown Court that the boy was admitted to hospital in a critical condition less than two months later. She said tests revealed excess levels of sodium and chlorine in his blood, equivalent to 40g of salt, and that he had suffered a brain haemorrhage. He died four days later.

She told the court: "Mr Gay told police when interviewed that Christian was a liability and not too bright. This is an indication that the children had to fit their lifestyle and Christian did not come up to proof." Ian Gay, 37, and Angela Gay, 38, deny murder, manslaughter and cruelty to a child. They are accused of causing Christian to collapse by feeding him poisonous levels of salt and by shaking him or hitting his head on a firm surface.

Miss Macur said that a post-mortem examination revealed 11 areas of bruising to the top of Christian's head, which were not apparent externally.

She said that the cause of death was swelling of the brain due to a blunt-force injury.

The trial continues.

Link to the above article: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/story.jsp?story=584796

--What the hell kind of punishment is that??? Making him eat salt? See? This is what happens when we let all the psycho-babble experts try to tell us that "spanking" is child abuse and we should avoid it. NO, THIS IS CHILD ABUSE! When your 3 year old misbehaves, swat his hiney and stand him in the corner a few minutes. Dam*, has common sense completely been tossed out the window as we welcomed Oprah and Merv Griffin telling us not to spank Junior?
Those people are idiots. How sad that this sweet, trusting little boy had to become another victim of REAL child abuse. Lock those people up!

So you are saying that these people fed their child salt and beat him up because they were against
spanking, and that people who do not condone spanking are causing people to abuse their children?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/22/04 at 7:56 pm

So you are saying that these people fed their child salt and beat him up because they were against
spanking, and that people who do not condone spanking are causing people to abuse their children?

I don't think shaking him and banging his head on the table is the same thing.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/04 at 8:01 pm

I don't think shaking him and banging his head on the table is the same thing.

Reading your post...you seem to be saying that it is the fault of people opposed to spanking
that caused these people to feed the child salt, shake him, and bang his head against a
table. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/04 at 1:20 am

Sounds like a case for Oliver Sacks!  "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat meets the Parents Who Mistook their Son for a Saltshaker."
:P

Written By: philbo on 11/23/04 at 7:21 am

This is what happens when we let all the psycho-babble experts try to tell us that "spanking" is child abuse and we should avoid it.

What kind of inane logic is that?

Seems to me like you're taking a tragic situation and trying to generate political capital for an unrelated cause from it.

Given the number of hoops that prospective adoptive parents have to jump through now, and how very hard it is to get onto the approved list, these guys must have seemed oh, so sensible at interview.  But I guess one of the questions wasn't "if the kid isn't as bright or obedient as you were hoping for, are you going to try and kill it?"

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/23/04 at 5:50 pm

What kind of inane logic is that?

Seems to me like you're taking a tragic situation and trying to generate political capital for an unrelated cause from it.

You got that right.  Fact is, I suspect that those who spank thier kids are more likely to abuse them than those who use other forms of discipline, like consistancy and loving disapproval.  If you think about it, spanking is a rather dictatorial form of punishment - "I'm bigger and stronger than you, so you mustr do as I say or I will hurt you".  Sounds like our "foreign ploicy", and works just as well.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/23/04 at 8:23 pm

From a person coming from a Bible Belt state, I feel more children are killed by shaking than by spanking. It depends on how hard the children are spanked or shaken. Shaking and/or all out beatings with fists may cause children more head trauma and nerve damaged. I was punished by beatings with belts or wooden spoons as was my sister. We do not have any desire to beat up children no matter how they get on our nerves. Because we've now become a nation that "tolerates" bad behavior and do not feel any punishment is deserved, we will continue to have kids that grow up rebellious and immature.
I think it's sad that 3 year old will never know what good parenting is.  :\'( 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/23/04 at 8:31 pm

I feel more children are killed by shaking than by spanking.

I do too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/04 at 2:01 am

I do too.

Shaking is very dangerous to infants, but much less so to more mature children.  A spanking that kills can no longer be called a "spanking," IMHO.
:o

Written By: Bobby on 11/24/04 at 7:03 am

There are some odd people out there - and they are allowed to adopt!

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/24/04 at 10:35 am

I just having head of anyone dying of a spanking unless it is with other form of beatings. And shaking a "mature" child will definitely have the same long term psychological scars as major beatings.

Shaking is very dangerous to infants, but much less so to more mature children.  A spanking that kills can no longer be called a "spanking," IMHO.
:o

Written By: Apricot on 11/25/04 at 12:35 am

Ridiculous, that someone would do that to a kid. But I do agree with others here, it is kinda irrelevant. You seem like you're trying to make a point using someone else's loss. I agree with your opening line:

What the f*** is wrong with people?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/04 at 2:49 am

I just having head of anyone dying of a spanking unless it is with other form of beatings. And shaking a "mature" child will definitely have the same long term psychological scars as major beatings.

I'm certainly not recommending anyone shake their kids.  It depends on how hard the child is shaken.  It takes a lot LESS shaking to kill or injure an infant than a more physiologically developed child.  Regardless, let's not shake 'em, ok?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/25/04 at 11:08 am

I would hate for them to be my parents.

I also "love" the statement.... "It's going to hurt me, more than it's going to hurt you!" To me that makes alot of sense.  ::)

Written By: Apricot on 11/25/04 at 11:34 am

I also "love" the statement.... "It's going to hurt me, more than it's going to hurt you!" To me that makes alot of sense.  ::)

How dare you insult my parenting in such a way! 

GO TO YOUR ROOM!  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/12/05 at 3:07 am

That is truly sick  >:(  I hope they get life in prison.

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/12/05 at 12:11 pm

Yep, you see we have our fair share of sickos in the UK, don't you worry. I wouldn't like to think these people should ever be allowed out of custody but I do think a psychiatric prison hospital would be more appropriate. Doing something like that doesn't even have the justification of following some lust or drive - its so cold baby !  :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/12/05 at 3:00 pm

That couple is certainly sick sick sick.

Now another word about spanking.  My kids were never spanked.  We used "quiet time" when they were too "rambunctious" and deprivation of privileges for more conscious infractions.  My 18 month old grand daughter has never been spanked.  Her mother deals with her with affection, firmness, and consistance.  They were at me house just a few days ago, and naturally Bailey explored, not having been here for a while.  She played with some chess men, and when she was finished we told her to put them away.  She didn't set up the board in the standard pre-game configuration, but all the ones she had removed were on the chess board.  As she put each one down she said "away?"  our response was "good job" and her smile indicated her pride in her accomplishment.  Now that is how to raise a human being.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/05 at 8:38 pm

I guess they really Blewitt, huh?
:-\\

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/12/05 at 11:28 pm

I guess they really Blewitt, huh?
:-\\

Yeah.  We can't risk letting those creeps be free again.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/12/05 at 11:54 pm

Screwed up..:(

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:18 am

I'll have one baby, shaken not stirred!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/05 at 5:28 am

I'll have one baby, shaken not stirred!

Maybe he heard his people were the "salt of the earth"!
:-X

Check for new replies or respond here...