» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Baby gap: Red states having more babies than blue states.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/26/04 at 6:47 pm

My guess is that a lot of women in the blue states are aborting their babies too. That's probably keeping the number of births way, way down. 

Where does your state rank in child birth?

1.Utah 2.45 71.1%
2.Alaska 2.28 61.8%
3.Idaho 2.20 68.5%
4.Kansas 2.06 62.2%
5.South Dakota 2.02 59.9%
6.Nebraska 2.02 66.0%
7.Oklahoma 2.01 65.6%
8.Wyoming 1.99 69.0%
9.Indiana 1.94 60.0%
10.Arkansas 1.94 54.3%
11.Texas 1.93 61.2%
12.Arizona 1.92 54.9%
13.Mississippi 1.92 59.6%
14.New Mexico 1.90 49.8%
15.Georgia 1.90 58.1%
16.Iowa 1.89 50.1%
17.Missouri 1.89 53.4%
18.Ohio 1.89 51.0%
19.Louisiana 1.88 56.7%
20.Michigan 1.88 47.8%
21.Montana 1.87 59.1%
22.Colorado 1.86 52.0%
23.Nevada 1.85 50.5%
24.Kentucky 1.85 59.5%
25.North Carolina 1.84 56.1%
26.Alabama 1.84 62.5%
27.Minnesota 1.83 47.6%
28.New Jersey 1.83 46.4%
29.Tennessee 1.83 56.8%
30.Virginia 1.82 54.0%
31.Maryland 1.81 43.3%
32.Illinois 1.80 44.6%
33.South Carolina 1.80 58.0%
34.Florida 1.78 52.1%
35.North Dakota 1.78 62.9%
36.West Virginia 1.78 56.0%
37.Wisconsin 1.78 49.4%
38.Oregon 1.76 47.6%
39.Connecticut 1.75 44.0%
40.Washington 1.72 45.6%
41.Pennsylvania 1.72 48.6%
42.New York 1.72 40.5%
43.Delaware 1.71 45.8%
44.New Hampshire 1.69 49.0%
45.California 1.65 44.5%
46.Maine 1.65 44.6%
47.Vermont 1.63 38.9%
48.Massachusetts 1.60 37.0%
49.Hawaii 1.59 45.3%
50.Rhode Island 1.50 38.9%
51.District of Columbia 1.11 9.3%

Subject: Re: Baby gap: Red states having more babies than blue states.

Written By: AL-B on 11/26/04 at 9:05 pm

My guess is that a lot of women in the blue states are aborting their babies too. That's probably keeping the number of births way, way down. 

You know why they have more babies in the "red states?" Because they doesn't know what rubbers is.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/04 at 9:55 pm

You know, that is just so absurd to say that. If you believe that, you could say that women in the red states are having more babies so they won't lose their welfare.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/04 at 11:19 pm

You know why they have more babies in the "red states?" Because they doesn't know what rubbers is.

Uh huh, sez you from Nebraska, among the reddest of the red states.  No, they know what rubbers is, rubber is a sin against God's plan--ye shall be fruitful and multiply.

The sad thing is, the ones who are having so many of the babies are the ones who can least afford to raise them. 

As they old song went, "One thing's sure and nothing's surer, the rich get richer and the poor get children, but in between time, in the meantime, ain't we got fun?"

No surprise my state of Massachusetts is down near the bottom.  I'm contributing to the problem, I suppose, no children, and don't want any!

Does Utah's ranking as most baby-making have anything to do with Mormonism, I wonder?

A scary fact for western Europe is their negative birth rates aren't producing enough children to sustain their welfare states.  Too few workers and too many retirees=trouble.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/27/04 at 4:26 am

Wouldn't it be funny and ironic if the main reason the blue states are so low on this list is because of abortion?  The democratic party, which supports abortion, aborting itself out of existence.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/04 at 9:01 am

Wouldn't it be funny and ironic if the main reason the blue states are so low on this list is because of abortion?  The democratic party, which supports abortion, aborting itself out of existence.

No it wouldn't be funny.  It would also not be funny if the red states had higher birthrates due
to miseducation about birth control or  teen pregnancy rates.  To place the rate of births squarely
on the assumption that it is hand in hand with abortion rates is the shallow reasoning we have
come to expect from you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/04 at 1:02 pm

No it wouldn't be funny.  It would also not be funny if the red states had higher birthrates due
to miseducation about birth control or  teen pregnancy rates.  To place the rate of births squarely
on the assumption that it is hand in hand with abortion rates is the shallow reasoning we have
come to expect from you.

Where does this study come from anyway? 

It's hard to judge by abortion rates.  The link below provides a good example.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9807/03/abortionrates/abortion.html

The study is somewhat dated, however, you can see that Mississippi has a much lower abortion rate than the surrounding states.  One might come to the dubious conclusion that women are more virtuous in Mississippi than in Alabama, or perhaps that the birth rate is double in MS what it is in AL.  However, Mississippi counties are notorious for failing to provide reproductive services for women.  Thus, it is quite likely that women travel from MS to AL, or to Louisiana or Tennessee.
In other words, the ability of women to travel from an abortion-hostile county in one state to an abortion-friendly county in another state may skew abortion rates.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/04 at 3:22 pm

This study doesn't break things down to married women or single women-planned or unplanned pregnacies. However, I am assuming that some of these are unplanned and by single women.
As Danoota posted in another thread, more people in the red states lack insurance. http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,4760.0.html
Also as Max pointed out about women not being able to get an abortion in some counties, maybe they don't have the $$ to travel to a place to get one or just don't have the $$ to get one-period!

I do agree with Danoota that lack of sex ed is a big part of the problem to unplanned pregnacies. To teach absinance is just absurd because people are going to do it anyway (it is human nature). Yes, absinance is ideal for young people but you should give them the information they need just in case.

Another factor for the blue states to have less, is that women have other priorities-such as their careers and holding off on having kids until later. I'm not saying that women in the red states don't do that, but I think there are more in the blue states. Many women move to the bigger cities (NYC, Boston, L.A. Wash. D.C. etc.) which are in the blue states to activily pursue their careers.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/27/04 at 3:47 pm

Cat, you hit it on the nail!

Tanya

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/27/04 at 4:47 pm

Those women in the red states are just to slow.  They can't outrun thier brothers.

If your family tree doesn't fork, you may be a red neck.

If he intorduces you to his wife and hius sister and there is only one woman standing there, yoiu KNOW he is a red neck.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/04 at 8:03 pm

Those women in the red states are just to slow.  They can't outrun thier brothers.

If he intorduces you to his wife and hius sister and there is only one woman standing there, yoiu KNOW he is a red neck.

Oh, there's plenty of intrafamilial hanky-panky in the blue states.  Prolly some pretty shallow gene pools just down the road from you in VT!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/27/04 at 8:30 pm

it's ok though, with the higher divorce rate in the red states, most of those kids will be raised by the welfare system the neocons despise so much.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/28/04 at 6:17 pm

Sometimes I think we should abandon the whole notion of social saftey nets.  The revolution would be just around the corner.  What the neocons just don't get is that the few crumbs that fall off the table for poor folks is what keeps them on the dance floor.  Some day they will go too far, and have their last dance.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/04 at 8:15 pm

Sometimes I think we should abandon the whole notion of social saftey nets.  The revolution would be just around the corner.  What the neocons just don't get is that the few crumbs that fall off the table for poor folks is what keeps them on the dance floor.  Some day they will go too far, and have their last dance.

There was a similar sentiment abuzz around certain Blacks who were saying, "Let's vote for George Wallace and get it over with!"
:o ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 11/28/04 at 9:04 pm

Sorry GWB, but I just don't understand the broken rationale of neocons who claim that abortion is murder but subsequently turn right around and refer to it as "funny".  I also don't understand how anyone can state that they are on the side of morals and honest values and opposed to killing when they don't support the elimination of assault weapons.  What good is achieved by letting anyone have access to assault weapons?

Pray, pray (whether it be to Jesus Christ, Buddha, earth gods or whoever you please) my fellow rational Americans, lest the neocons lead our great nation into hatred and destruction. 

Written By: philbo on 11/29/04 at 11:03 am

A scary fact for western Europe is their negative birth rates aren't producing enough children to sustain their welfare states. Too few workers and too many retirees=trouble.

Hey, I'm doing my bit for society - I've got four ;)

But I think you'll find the birth rate is <1 per person, but not exactly negative - population is declining, but we ain't putting babies back in ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/04 at 11:23 am

But I think you'll find the birth rate is <1 per person, but not exactly negative - population is declining, but we ain't putting babies back in ;)

I was thinking more of Italy, which has a remarkably low birth-rate. 

Congratulations Philbo, have a cigar!
;)

Written By: McDonald on 11/29/04 at 3:36 pm

Uh huh, it ain't my politics that supports welfare.  Sorry, welfare is such a WASTE of taxpayers' money.

So are babies.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: philbo on 11/29/04 at 4:50 pm

So are babies. ;D ;D ;D

Ah, McD - don't be like that: just because he's a little immature ;)

Written By: McDonald on 11/29/04 at 9:28 pm

Naw, I was only joshing. I love babies, and how couldn't I? They're so darn cute! :D

Written By: AL-B on 11/30/04 at 2:32 am

Don-

I found those quotes to be very "sick" and "immature." Glad to see you're finally coming around! ;)

Written By: karen on 11/30/04 at 11:56 am

That last bit made my eyes water just thinking about it!

Check for new replies or respond here...