» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush stays stern with Canada, despite whiny eastern liberals' protesting.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/01/04 at 1:18 am

OTTAWA — President Bush (search) tried on Tuesday to repair U.S.-Canadian relations strained by years of bickering over trade and Iraq, although he stood by policies that have irritated Canadians.

He did promise Prime Minister Paul Martin (search) to work toward easing a U.S. ban on Canadian beef.

Even as thousands of Canadian protesters thronged the streets to protest his visit, Bush brushed aside suggestions that his decisions had damaged U.S.-Canada ties. Asked about polls that show Canadian opposition to his policies runs high, Bush pointed to his own re-election this month as the survey that mattered.

"We just had a poll in our country when people decided that the foreign policy of the Bush administration ought to stay in place for four more years," Bush said at a joint news conference with Martin.

"I made some decisions, obviously, that some in Canada didn't agree with, like, for example, removing Saddam Hussein (search) and enforcing the demands of the United Nations Security Council," Bush said.

While he acknowledged no mistakes, Bush joked about his reception here.

"I want to thank the Canadian people who came out to wave, with all five fingers, for their hospitality," he said.

Indeed, Canadians for the most part lived up to their reputation for reserve as Bush made his way from the airport to downtown Ottawa. Most stood waving excitedly at Bush's enormous motorcade as it snaked down the road.

Many of Bush's opponents were polite. One of the first signs he saw read "Please Leave."

Others were more blunt. At lunchtime, a sign close to Bush's motorcade urged him to go home and depicted him riding atop a missile with a swastika on it.

Twelve protesters were arrested after they clashed with riot police, officers said. One police officer was reported injured.

The beef ban is a leading irritant in a relationship that has suffered during Bush's presidency, and the issue loomed large in Bush's first official trip to Canada.

In their private meetings, Martin vented "a great deal of frustration that the issue hadn't been resolved yet," Bush said.

"This has been studied to death," an exasperated Martin said of the Canadian beef ban, in place since May 2003.

The Bush administration has since opened its border to some Canadian beef, but live cattle remain prohibited. Canadian ranchers are desperate, estimating they have lost more than $2 billion.

Bush hinted strongly that he already has decided Canadian beef should be allowed back into the United States. At a Tuesday night dinner with Martin, he said with a smile that he was "pleased to see when I opened up the menu that we'll be eating Alberta beef."

"I believe that, as quickly as possible, young cows ought to be allowed to go across our border," Bush said at the news conference. But, he said, "There's a bureaucracy involved. I readily concede we've got one."

The latest study rests with the White House's own Office of Management and Budget, and Bush said he had ordered the OMB to "expedite that as quickly as possible."

Yet a resolution is months off. OMB has three months to study a rule that would allow into the United States boxed beef and live cattle younger than 30 months; the deadline for completion of the study is mid-February. Then Congress has two months to scrutinize the proposed rule, a senior administration official said.

Bush had a cool relationship with former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, and the president canceled an official visit to Canada's capital in May 2003 after their disagreement over the Iraq invasion broke out into public view.

The trip to Ottawa opened a broader reconciliation tour he plans to continue in Europe early next year.

Martin, who succeeded Chretien as Liberal Party leader and has been in office less than a year, has sought to repair the damage. Bush embraced the opportunity for a fresh start with the United States' northern neighbor and its 32 million people.

The two leaders emphasized areas of agreement and cooperation, papering over their countries' contentious history about the Iraq war.

Canada has pledged more than $200 million in humanitarian aid and reconstruction money and has agreed to forgive more than $450 million in Iraqi debt, Bush said. Canadian officials said the two leaders discussed what role the country might play in Iraqi elections two months off. Canada is experienced in monitoring elections.

At a time when Canada is debating whether to participate in the new U.S. continental missile defense program, Bush told Martin the shield would protect much of North America, a senior Bush administration official said.

Link to article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140078,00.html

Subject: Re: Bush stays stern with Canada, despite whiny eastern liberals' protesting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/04 at 9:44 am

Yup, you always have to defend Bush wherever he goes in the world...because nobody likes him!

Subject: Re: Bush stays stern with Canada, despite whiny eastern liberals' protesting.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/01/04 at 9:46 am

Yup, you always have to defend Bush wherever he goes in the world...because nobody likes him!

What can I say?  I love that ''go f*** yourself'' attitude he had with Paul Martin.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/04 at 9:50 am

What can I say?  I love that ''go f*** yourself'' attitude he had with Paul Martin.

When he says he wants to thank Canada "with all five fingers," that sends a hostile and juvenile message to the rest of the world that is bad for America.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/01/04 at 9:59 am

When he says he wants to thank Canada "with all five fingers," that sends a hostile and juvenile message to the rest of the world that is bad for America.

Read the bold, that is not what he said.  He said he wanted to thank the people from Canada who waved at him.....with all five fingers. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/04 at 10:19 am

Read the bold, that is not what he said.  He said he wanted to thank the people from Canada who waved at him.....with all five fingers. 

Ooops!  My mistake.
:-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/04 at 10:38 am

So, what about those people who have less than 5 fingers ???

And, why is it when Republicans are b|tching and moaning, it's called "complaining" but when it's anyone else, it's "whining"?  Are liberals not entitled to their opinions?  Oh, that's right, "if you're not with us, you're against us" ::)

When Republicans whine, they call it "standing up for traditional values," or some mumbo-jumbo like that!
::)

Written By: conker on 12/01/04 at 2:51 pm

I've been watching this with interest, Bush did have some supporters out along his route into the city they may have numbered at most in the low hundreds. There were thousands peacefully (for the most part) demonstrating downtown.
All  of the presidents who've visited usually get a warm welcome, we may disagree with his policies and actions but we are still neighbours and wish to stay friendly.
He wasn't stern with anyone he sounded more perturbed that some little country would oppose his actions in Iraq.
I'm not sure why he feels his Iraq decision didn't hurt our relations since when Canada said no we only want to help in a humanitarian not military way since it was Bush and his lackey's who started with the various 'irritants' to trade and relations.
Also his refusal to thank Canada until today for hospitallity we showed the tens of thousands of American airline passengers who were stranded in our small eastern cities on Sept 11 and soon thereafter and for the thousands of troops and special forces we sent to Afiganistan (where there was a real terror threat) hasn't helped relations.
We are your good friends but we do have the right to question your actions or choose our own course of action, it's a semi-free world.

Written By: McDonald on 12/01/04 at 3:23 pm

I've been watching this with interest, Bush did have some supporters out along his route into the city they may have numbered at most in the low hundreds. There were thousands peacefully (for the most part) demonstrating downtown.
All  of the presidents who've visited usually get a warm welcome, we may disagree with his policies and actions but we are still neighbours and wish to stay friendly.
He wasn't stern with anyone he sounded more perturbed that some little country would oppose his actions in Iraq.
I'm not sure why he feels his Iraq decision didn't hurt our relations since when Canada said no we only want to help in a humanitarian not military way since it was Bush and his lackey's who started with the various 'irritants' to trade and relations.
Also his refusal to thank Canada until today for hospitallity we showed the tens of thousands of American airline passengers who were stranded in our small eastern cities on Sept 11 and soon thereafter and for the thousands of troops and special forces we sent to Afiganistan (where there was a real terror threat) hasn't helped relations.
We are your good friends but we do have the right to question your actions or choose our own course of action, it's a semi-free world.

That pretty much sums up what I wanted to say.

Written By: McDonald on 12/01/04 at 3:43 pm

This article, even though it comes from your favourite medium (the Ministry of Truth, a.k.a. Faux News), hardly suggests that Bush displayed a "go **** yourself attitude" with the Prime Minister. In fact, it looks to me like Bush is facetiously acquiescing to Martin's wishes re: the beef ban.

Believe whatever you want about Dubya, it won't change the fact that he IS an idiot and that MOST people recognise that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/04 at 3:56 pm

Nobody likes him except the majority of American voters.  That's the only poll that counts.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/04 at 3:58 pm

This article, even though it comes from your favourite medium (the Ministry of Truth, a.k.a. Faux News), hardly suggests that Bush displayed a "go **** yourself attitude" with the Prime Minister. In fact, it looks to me like Bush is facetiously acquiescing to Martin's wishes re: the beef ban.

Believe whatever you want about Dubya, it won't change the fact that he IS an idiot and that MOST people recognise that.

MOST people think he is an idiot?  Hmm... I think they ran a poll on that issue on November 2, 2004.

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 12/01/04 at 4:04 pm

MOST people think he is an idiot?  Hmm... I think they ran a poll on that issue on November 2, 2004.
Hey ease up on him LyricBoy. He worships Kerry who lost the election, and John Lennon a guy who basically forgot he had another son in Julian!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 4:17 pm

Hey ease up on him LyricBoy. He worships Kerry who lost the election, and John Lennon a guy who basically forgot he had another son in Julian!

What in the world does John Lennon have to do with any of this?

Cat

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 12/01/04 at 4:40 pm

What in the world does John Lennon have to do with any of this?

Cat
I was merely referring to the sig line picture of McDonald, and the fact that both Kerry(Only by the last election results)  and Lennon (Only on the subject of his "Forgotten" son Julian) are losers, in ONLY that respect! THAT is what I meant!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 4:48 pm

I was merely referring to the sig line picture of McDonald, and the fact that both Kerry(Only by the last election results)  and Lennon (Only on the subject of his "Forgotten" son Julian) are losers, in ONLY that respect! THAT is what I meant!

But, again, I ask, what does this have to do with the topic?

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/01/04 at 5:14 pm

Form what I read in the post and what I just saw of the visit on CNN, Bush was if anything obsequious and fawning.

Written By: McDonald on 12/02/04 at 1:43 pm

I was referring to most of the people in the world, but sorry, that was before I remembered that foreigners aren't people. Excuse my ignorance.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/02/04 at 1:46 pm

This article, even though it comes from your favourite medium (the Ministry of Truth, a.k.a. Faux News), hardly suggests that Bush displayed a "go **** yourself attitude"

What about this?

BUSH TELLS WORLD TO PUT UP OR SHUT UP

In his first major foreign policy speech since he was reelected (http://www.whitheouse.gov/news/releases/2004/12/20041201-4.html,) President Bush took the world to school over the whole issue of pre-emptive action in the war on terror. No longer held back by political considerations, Bush explained American policy in terms even the Axis of Weasels will understand. Or they should.

Said the president: "The success of multilateralism is measured not merely by following a process, but by achieving results. The objective of the U.N. and other institutions must be collective security, not endless debate." 

Have you seen that television commercial where this guy is choking and his friends sit around the table talking about the Heimlich Maneuver?  Finally someone from another table walks over and actually performs the maneuver instead of just sitting around talking about it.  The announcer says "less talk, more action."  That's George Bush.  The friends sitting around the table with the choker probably aren't all that pleased with the character from the other table.  Who the hell does he think he is to show them up like that?  Obviously the choker's friends are French.

Bush wasn't through: "Defense alone is not a sufficient strategy. There is only one way to deal with enemies who plot in secret and set out to murder the innocent and the unsuspecting: We must take the fight to them." Translation: we have to kill Islamic terrorists before they kill us. He also talked about the idea of advancing freedom and liberty in the Middle East: "By taking the side of reformers and democrats in the Middle East, we will gain allies in the war on terror and isolate the ideology of murder and help to defeat the despair and hopelessness that feeds terror. The world will become a much safer place as democracy advances."

The message is the same now as it was 3 years ago: you are either with us, or you are with the terrorists. Good show!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/02/04 at 1:48 pm

I was referring to most of the people in the world, but sorry, that was before I remembered that foreigners aren't people. Excuse my ignorance.

It is not that they aren't people.  It is just that most Americans don't give a f*** what they think, as they should.

Written By: McDonald on 12/02/04 at 1:48 pm

But, again, I ask, what does this have to do with the topic?

Cat

It had absolutely nothing to do with the topic. He was attempting to degrade me and discount the things I say by suggesting that I worship the people featured in my sig line. By that logic, he worships some sort of demon creature. It basically boils down to the fact that because he himself had no other means to retort or anything interesting to say, he was forced to revert back to the playground tactic of poking fun. This post says much more about him than I could, really.

Written By: McDonald on 12/02/04 at 1:51 pm

What about this?

In his first major foreign policy speech since he was reelected (http://www.whitheouse.gov/news/releases/2004/12/20041201-4.html,) President Bush took the world to school over the whole issue of pre-emptive action in the war on terror. No longer held back by political considerations, Bush explained American policy in terms even the Axis of Weasels will understand. Or they should.

Said the president: "The success of multilateralism is measured not merely by following a process, but by achieving results. The objective of the U.N. and other institutions must be collective security, not endless debate." 

Have you seen that television commercial where this guy is choking and his friends sit around the table talking about the Heimlich Maneuver?  Finally someone from another table walks over and actually performs the maneuver instead of just sitting around talking about it.  The announcer says "less talk, more action."  That's George Bush.  The friends sitting around the table with the choker probably aren't all that pleased with the character from the other table.  Who the hell does he think he is to show them up like that?  Obviously the choker's friends are French.

Bush wasn't through: "Defense alone is not a sufficient strategy. There is only one way to deal with enemies who plot in secret and set out to murder the innocent and the unsuspecting: We must take the fight to them." Translation: we have to kill Islamic terrorists before they kill us. He also talked about the idea of advancing freedom and liberty in the Middle East: "By taking the side of reformers and democrats in the Middle East, we will gain allies in the war on terror and isolate the ideology of murder and help to defeat the despair and hopelessness that feeds terror. The world will become a much safer place as democracy advances."

The message is the same now as it was 3 years ago: you are either with us, or you are with the terrorists. Good show!

This isn't even the same article as the one I was commenting about. If you wanted to use two articles as the basis of all your previous arguments on this thread, you should have posted them both to begin with. And who wrote this piece of crap to begin with? Racist comments don't exactly prepare an individual to take this author seriously.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/04 at 2:50 pm

Form what I read in the post and what I just saw of the visit on CNN, Bush was if anything obsequious and fawning.

Shucks.  Now I have to break out a dictionary.

;D ;D

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 12/02/04 at 3:06 pm

Shucks.  Now I have to break out a dictionary.

;D ;D
Hey, I agree with what you say, try to defend you and I get lambasted for going off topic :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/02/04 at 5:35 pm

What about this?

Edited for brevitey, included for reference

I heard some of that, and from what I heard and read here, He was more conciliatory that confrontational, which I applaude.

Written By: conker on 12/03/04 at 2:22 pm

He was more petulant(yeah break out the dictionary) than anything else when it got on the topic of Iraq and Missile Defense.
Whenever Iraq was brought up he took it as an insult that Canada didn't support him.  We went to Afghanistan and helped root out and KILL Taliban and Al-Qida types, in fact we are still there trying to keep those terrorists in the hills. 
As for Iraq, Jean Poutine and PM the PM didn't fall for the WMD line and still don't.  Give it up we have free will and exercise it.  We chose to stay out and the public supports that stance.
He had an opening on missile defense and if he had played it in a conciliatory manner or with even a bit of tact it could have been sold to the Canadian public who while may be against the idea were kind of on the fence.  Now with his constant prodding and cajoling about it even the Conservative Party is remaining silent on the topic.

The cowboy from Texas (Maine? Connecticut?) act doesn't play well here.  Know your audience and you can sell anything.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/03/04 at 4:38 pm

He may have been petulant re the missle thing, which I think is stupid and a massive boondogle - just set off a good size cherry bomb in a bag of radio active crap in a subway and you have a dirty bomb that can kill 1000s.  Stick to your guns Canada.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/04 at 8:25 pm

It is not that they aren't people.  It is just that most Americans don't give a f*** what they think, as they should.

And, pray tell, whose opinion should Americans give a "f***" about?,  Oh eloquent seer of red state wisdom.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/03/04 at 9:58 pm

And, pray tell, whose opinion should Americans give a "f***" about?,  Oh eloquent seer of red state wisdom.

How about the American people?  The majority voted for Bush, over 50%, which is more than I can say for Bill Clinton.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/04 at 12:42 am

How about the American people?  The majority voted for Bush, over 50%, which is more than I can say for Bill Clinton.

I haint-a-talkin' about no Clinton, for one thing.  For another thing, the United States contains a mere 6% of the world's population.  Out of sheer human decency, it might behoove us Americans to give a f*** about what the other 94% percent thinks.  Since human decency is becoming anathema to the American Right, what about a more practical argument?
Since Bush subscribes to the "spend-and-don't tax" theory of governance, America is ever more deeply in hock to countries such as China and Japan.  If they decide to stop buying our bonds, we're f****ed!  So, shouldn't we at least care what THEY think?  Maybe?
:o

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/04/04 at 6:33 am

I haint-a-talkin' about no Clinton, for one thing.  For another thing, the United States contains a mere 6% of the world's population.  Out of sheer human decency, it might behoove us Americans to give a f*** about what the other 94% percent thinks.  Since human decency is becoming anathema to the American Right, what about a more practical argument?
Since Bush subscribes to the "spend-and-don't tax" theory of governance, America is ever more deeply in hock to countries such as China and Japan.  If they decide to stop buying our bonds, we're f****ed!  So, shouldn't we at least care what THEY think?  Maybe?
:o

I don't hate all of the rest of the world, only countries that aren't: Singapore, Nigeria, Poland, Israel, and Russia.  And MAYBE England (especially if they elect Michael Howard.) 

But I HATE the following countries, and I think Bush should do what he is doing, give them the middle finger and tell the to f*** off: Canada, France, Germany, Iran, North Korea, and Mexico.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/04 at 11:59 am

I don't hate all of the rest of the world, only countries that aren't: Singapore, Nigeria, Poland, Isreal, and Russia.  And MAYBE England (especially if they elect Michael Howard.) 

But I HATE the following countries, and I think Bush should do what he is doing, give them the middle finger and tell the to f*** off: Canada, France, Germany, Iran, North Korea, and Mexico.

It's I-S-R-A-E-L, remember A before E, oy, they can't drive us into the sea! 

Evidentally you hate China and Japan because they didn't make the strange little short list of countries you DON'T hate.  Smart.

Wanna run that by me again, WHY is it a good idea for Bush to give all these countries the finger and tell them to f*** off?  What dos that accomplish for America?  I mean, when Americans start hating Canada, our country is getting sick in the collective head!

I know why you like Singapore, but why Russia?  If any state is now the opposite of Singapore, it's got to be Russia.  Russia is now controlled by feuding criminal syndicates, whereas Singapore is an efficiently run fascist state.

GWB, I find your assessment poorly thought out and rather silly.

Written By: McDonald on 12/05/04 at 4:29 pm

It's so hilarious, really it is. He hates countries like Germany and Canada, while as he speaks there are German and Canadian forces in Afghanistan fighting and dying for our safety. GW, you prove yourself the fool constantly. You b!tch about the Left being hateful against blah blah blah... while you openly spit hate toward others... I think I will actually quote you for a second... "Just because hypocrisy and honesty both begin with "H" and end in "Y" doesn't make them the same thing." Well said GW, well said!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/04 at 7:16 pm

It's so hilarious, really it is. He hates countries like Germany and Canada, while as he speaks there are German and Canadian forces in Afghanistan fighting and dying for our safety. GW, you prove yourself the fool constantly. You b!tch about the Left being hateful against blah blah blah... while you openly spit hate toward others... I think I will actually quote you for a second... "Just because hypocrisy and honesty both begin with "H" and end in "Y" doesn't make them the same thing." Well said GW, well said!

He hates who they tell him to hate!  If Finland were to grumble about Bush today, Limbaugh would pound the podium against the Finns tomorrow, and GW would cut-and-paste anti-Finalnd stories from NewsMax on Tuesday!

I had to pause for a moment to come up with a hypothetical country to use.
:P

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 12/06/04 at 11:32 pm

While we're loving things, I love your hero Kerry with a guy who forgot he had a son named Julian  ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 12:44 pm

Well said GW, well said!

He hates who they tell him to hate!  If Finland were to grumble about Bush today, Limbaugh would pound the podium against the Finns tomorrow, and GW would cut-and-paste anti-Finalnd stories from NewsMax on Tuesday!

I had to pause for a moment to come up with a hypothetical country to use.
:P

I'm offended.

Sincerely,

Al Sharpton
Al Franken
Al Gore
Al Qaeda

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/04 at 1:01 pm

I'm offended.

Sincerely,

Al Sharpton
Al Franken
Al Gore
Al Qaeda

What about Al Bundy?  Al-abama?

Written By: McDonald on 12/07/04 at 11:16 pm

Don't forget al-gebra! Actually, algebra was an islamic innovation... all the more reason for GW and the rest of America to hate the Muslims... right?

Written By: McDonald on 12/07/04 at 11:21 pm

Well said GW, well said!
While we're loving things, I love your hero Kerry with a guy who forgot he had a son named Julian  ;)

Time is precious, man. Don't waste it engaging in stupid stuff like this. What happened? Did you get all angry after watching "Julian Lennon: Behind the Music?" I saw that episode too. People often make mistakes they aren't proud of. Ted Nugent was a sex addict. Rick James burnt a hooker with his crackpipe. Princess Diana cheated on her husband. See?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 11:28 pm

I don't hate all of the rest of the world, only countries that aren't: Singapore, Nigeria, Poland, Israel, and Russia.  And MAYBE England (especially if they elect Michael Howard.) 

As a Canadian... I have.....ummmmm... no comment.  ::)

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 11:33 pm

Hey, don't leave me out!!!

AL-B

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 11:37 pm

Hey, don't leave me out!!!

AL-B

LOL!!!!!!  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 11:38 pm

Ummmmm..... Al B. Sure?  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/04 at 1:57 am

Ummmmm..... Al B. Sure?  ::)

AL-LIGATOR
http://www.komix.it/images/cartoon_network/WALLY_GATOR.jpg

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 12/08/04 at 10:43 am

Time is precious, man. Don't waste it engaging in stupid stuff like this. What happened? Did you get all angry after watching "Julian Lennon: Behind the Music?" I saw that episode too. People often make mistakes they aren't proud of. Ted Nugent was a sex addict. Rick James burnt a hooker with his crackpipe. Princess Diana cheated on her husband. See?
Not at all, I just don't think he's such a great dad. Hypocrisy oozed from John and Yoko with all that "Love" they gave to Sean. He DID have another son! That's all I meant. I'll shut up now ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/08/04 at 2:11 pm

Ted Nugent was a sex addict.

I did not need to find that out two days after becoming a fellow bloodbrother with TNUSA.

Ted Nugent United Sportsmen of America.

Check for new replies or respond here...