» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: "Today's Hip Hop play to Racist Images like '40's Cartoons"

Written By: woops on 12/05/04 at 7:31 pm

An interesting article I found about stereotypes in music videos (from rappers like Fat Joe &  Lil' Jon)  & politically incorrect cartoons like "All This & Rabbit Stew", a long banned Bugs Bunny cartoon.

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/bawcommentary/kane915

Subject: Re: "Today's Hip Hop play to Racist Images like '40's Cartoons"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/05/04 at 8:34 pm

I agree with the article. I will go further and say that Fat Joe has no right to perpetuate these images b/c he is Puerto Rican and Cuban, not black (though some would argue that there's no real difference anyway). I wonder if I created a rap song with a video perpetuating stereotypes about Puerto Ricans and Cubans. How would he or those communities feel?

Tanya

Written By: woops on 12/06/04 at 7:28 pm

I also agree on the article.  And the fact Fat Joe doesn't have the right to portray African American stereotypes. (Noticed that Eminem & The Beastie Boys have never said the "N" word )  Despite the fact I'm a fan of "politically incorrect" humor like most shows on Comedy Central & "Family Guy", I believe that there's a limit on where the line can't be crossed. Like it's ok for African American comedians  & rappers to say the "n" word, but not a good thing for anybody who isn't black. The same thing for the three lettered "F" word that is highly homophobic. 

Though I think the main reason of why the NAACP doesn't bother with music videos and other source of entertainment that features stereotypical characters like the movie  "Soul Plane" & the recently canned "Method & Red" is because of the whole shock culture (Comedy Central for example)  & the "first amendment". Possibly the same reason with the FCC, gay rights, and other groups.  Or else Viacom would cancel all of their networks that have racial, sexist, and other derogatory images. Or pay a very hefty fine like CBS. For the better of worse.

Unfortunately, controversy sells. (Britney Spears, Eminem, "Scary Movie", Some Comedy Central shows)  Though "Soul Plane" & "Method & Red" flopped, but personally I can't argue against it since I'm a fan of  some shows on Comedy Cental & 'Adult Swim' that also features stereotyoical entertainment. (I'm a type of person who looks at the humor past the negative images on shows like "Kids In The Hall" & "South Park")

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/04 at 7:33 pm

Rush Limbaugh blamed the recent NBA violence on "hip-hop culture."  I agree hip-hop culture represents a negative image of African Americans, but things like the basketball fight does represent the breakdown in American civility at large.  The negativity of hip-hop is the result of social decay in America, not the cause of it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/06/04 at 8:29 pm

So, who does Rush blame for his pill-popping?

I agree that money is the root of the issue. While I certainly laugh at shows that may be un-PC. There has to be a limit somewhere.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/04 at 8:50 pm

So, who does Rush blame for his pill-popping?

Well, his spokespeople blamed his doctors.  That's Rush, our champion of sober, law-abiding, personal responsibility-taking Republican America!
:D

Anyway, back on topic.  I've always found the claims of gangsta rappers that they merely reflect the truth about the "ghetto" as disingenuous.  If what goes on in the ghetto is the same as what goes on in them late-night BET videos, I gotta go down there and get me some!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/06/04 at 9:16 pm

Well, his spokespeople blamed his doctors.  That's Rush, our champion of sober, law-abiding, personal responsibility-taking Republican America!
:D

Anyway, back on topic.  I've always found the claims of gangsta rappers that they merely reflect the truth about the "ghetto" as disingenuous.  If what goes on in the ghetto is the same as what goes on in them late-night BET videos, I gotta go down there and get me some!

Ha! I guess I'll blame the doctors for getting pregnant with my son!

Anyway, there are some genuine claims made by some rappers. However, there are some insincere ones as well. I was born and raised in what some would consider a "ghetto". I saw much of what is often discussed, but I also saw another side to life there.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...