» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: State of Georgia, flag issue. A rant.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 1:07 pm

Okay, I can't take it here in Georgia anymore.  Watching WSB-TV (local channel) they are talking about that dam* flag issue, AGAIN.  Koop, and some other state of Georgia residents know what I am talking about.  Are we the only fricking state with that problem.  First our ex.Governor Roy Barnes changes the flag out of no where in 2001, and all hell breaks loose.  Sons of Confederate veterans and other heritage groups scream, cry, whine, and all else.  Then, with that issue, and some very angry southern white men we boot Barnes (stickers EVERYWHERE) and elect the first republican governor of the state since the civil war in 2002, soley on the issue of he promised a vote.  Than, the NAACP and blacks everywhere, whined, bit**ed, complain, blah blah blah.  Sonny Perdue (newly elected republican governor) gets us a vote with two different choices.  What is the problem?  The original flag changed was not on the ballot, so we put in another flag in 2003.  Southern groups were so mad they went to the "boot Barnes" stickers and yard signs that are literally everywhere, you cannot escape them, and replaced them with "punt Perdue" stickers.  And now the news is talking about another vote in 2006, mostly because Perdue who knows he won soley on the angry white men and women, is in deep sh**.  I am so sick of this BS.  IT IS A FRICKING FLAG, PEOPLE!  WHO CARES?  Whichever flag it is, I do not give a f***. 

Thing is sad, really sad Georgia.  If we get another vote, just make this one BINDING (unlike the last one) so we can move on.

In case you are wondering:

Georgia state flag (1956-2001):

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:K9C06FCYbGkJ:www.camdencounty.org/history/ga-flag-1956-2001.jpg

Georgia state flag (2001-2003):

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nhlG_wdorskJ:www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/01/30/ga.flag.02/large.georgia.flag.jpg

Georgia state flag (2003-present):

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SPbkV0Y4WikJ:www.flags2000.com.au/images/us61_large.gif

--Please forgive me for this, I am just so sick and POed at this, I had to rant somewhere.  Good lord.  This issue will put me in the nut house yet.

Famous last words:

"In three months, the flag issue will be no more." -Roy Barnes, Feb. 2001.

Subject: Re: State of Georgia, flag issue. A rant.

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 1:17 pm

I thought this was the new Georgia state flag!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 1:21 pm

I thought this was the new Georgia state flag!

As much as I would love to have a middle finger on our flag (which goes out to OBL and blue states,) I can not take it anymore.  I must see 75 "Punt Perdue" bumper stickers on the way to work.  I am sick of the pending civil war here in the state of Georgia over what our state flag looks like.

LET IT DIE!

I'm going to go mentally insane soon, especially if we vote on this is 2006, and the issue stays.  I got to hurry up and move to Alaska.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/04 at 1:32 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5260.0;id=2625;image
Who needs a swastika or a middle finger when you've got the Stars and Bars?  The Stars and Bars was not the Confederate national flag, but the Confederate battle flag.  It is the flag of treason and should be accorded the same contempt as the nazi swastika.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 1:41 pm

Who needs a swastika or a middle finger when you've got the Stars and Bars?  The Stars and Bars was not the Confederate national flag, but the Confederate battle flag.  It is the flag of treason and should be accorded the same contempt as the nazi swastika.

I honestly had no problem with the 1956-2001 flag, nor any other.  I just want this issue to end.  I hope if we vote on it again in 2006, they'll do two simple things to end this.  1. Put on all three choices. 2. Make it BINDING.

I skipped voting on it in 2003, and probably would in 2006, but those two simple things I stated stated would end this after the 2006 vote in a heartbeat. 

Please, Georgia, drop this.

Written By: philbo on 12/07/04 at 1:44 pm

Hey, GWB - if it's bugging you that much, do what I do to get it out of my system: write a parody.  Something to the tune of "Marching through Georgia" would probably do the trick...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 2:00 pm

Hey, GWB - if it's bugging you that much, do what I do to get it out of my system: write a parody.  Something to the tune of "Marching through Georgia" would probably do the trick...

I would love to.  I have thought about writting a parody for the contests that go on here.  But, I can't do it.  Trust me.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/07/04 at 2:42 pm

Don't you realize the politicians are just using this as an issue to mask other problems?  People spend all their time talking about something 95% of them would normally never give two moments of thought to.  Most people couldn't even pick out their state flag in a lineup, but since the old design could be considered controversal it's an easy issue to distract the population. 

sort of like discussing someone's service in Vietnam 30 years later (either candidate's)

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/07/04 at 2:45 pm

I live in Georgia and don't really care what the flag looks like.  I didn't like, however, the way that the citizens were placated into believing there would be a vote.  When the vote was on the ballot, it didn't consider all formats only the P.C. choices.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 2:50 pm

I live in Georgia and don't really care what the flag looks like.  I didn't like, however, the way that the citizens were placated into believing there would be a vote.  When the vote was on the ballot, it didn't consider all formats only the P.C. choices.

That is exactly it!  When we voted in 2003, they put only the blue Barnes flag (ranked the nation's ugliest flag in 2002,) and the current one.  The confederate one was left out.  I didn't vote on the flag in 2003, and I wouldn't have if the confederate one was on.  But leaving the confederate one off, that and making the vote non-binding, was the reason we are still hearing about this sh** every day.

It started in 1995 when the NAACP first complained.  And to this day it is still going, nearly a decade of fun.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/04 at 6:56 pm

Ditto.  the reason for the whole change was that in the 50's the battle flag was raised as a symbol of
the fight against voting rights for African Americans, and a bloody battle it was.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/04 at 8:22 pm

Don't you realize the politicians are just using this as an issue to mask other problems?  People spend all their time talking about something 95% of them would normally never give two moments of thought to.  Most people couldn't even pick out their state flag in a lineup, but since the old design could be considered controversal it's an easy issue to distract the population. 

sort of like discussing someone's service in Vietnam 30 years later (either candidate's)

Amen to that.  Like the right-wing gives a hoot about veterans.  I felt sorry for the Swifties, obnoxious though they were.  They were dupes in service of the victory of right-wing economic interests.  It had nothing to do with truth or honor.
The Confederate stars and bars on state flags, gay marriage, and--to a large degree--abortion serve the same distractive purpose.  Con the public into whipping themselves into a frenzy over "cultural" issues, and THEN pick their pockets and hand the ill-gotten loot over to the rich!
:P

Danoota wrote
Ditto.  the reason for the whole change was that in the 50's the battle flag was raised as a symbol of
the fight against voting rights for African Americans, and a bloody battle it was.

Today the Right will still try to tell you it was Democrats who did that.  However, we all know it was Dixie-crats--a faction that would abandon the Democratic party altogether after Johnson signed the Civil Rights legislation in '64.  A few moonshine-crazy hicks, like Zell Miller, stayed on.  At the same time as the Sean Hannitys of the world are lambasting the Dems as the party of segregation, they adamantly defend states' rights to keep the Confederate flag theme, only to scream against states' rights to allow gay marriage.  They always want it both ways, those guys!
::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/04 at 8:28 pm

Even though it doesn't have the stars and bars like the flag between 1956-2001, the current flag:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SPbkV0Y4WikJ:www.flags2000.com.au/images/us61_large.gif

is a confederate flag, though not as well known.

This issue will not die, but I have written Governor Purdue asking him to do the two things I said earlier:

A. Make all three flags choices on the 2006 ballot

B. Make this vote Binding.

--No matter who wins, binding or not it will keep going.  If the 1956-2001 flag comes back, the NAACP with terrorize Georgia with more lame boycotts.  If the current flag wins, or the ugly blue Barnes flag, the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Southern Heritage PAC will terrorize Georgia with confederate marches on the state capitol.  I can't wait to move.

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 8:46 pm

--No matter who wins, binding or not it will keep going.  If the 1956-2001 flag comes back, the NAACP with terrorize Georgia with more lame boycotts. 
And Boss Hogg will finally have a reason to put those dadgummed Duke boys away for good!

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 11:19 pm

GW--
    What did the pre-1956 state flag look like? Maybe they ought to just go back to that and be done with it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/04 at 2:04 am

GW--
    What did the pre-1956 state flag look like? Maybe they ought to just go back to that and be done with it.

Wasn't this it?
http://gayjourney.com/flags_gay/georgia.gif
;) ;) ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/08/04 at 3:46 am

GW--

The flag we are using now, the Georgia state confederate flag from the civil war, is the pre-1956 one:

EXCEPT, in the pre-1956 one, in the white middle space, in BIG letters it said "In God we trust," but when they brought it back after the first vote in 2003, to ATTEMPT to end any problems they took the "In God we trust" phrase and shunk it and put in in the blue space around the state of Georgia seal.

So, the 2006 vote will be between a flag with a huge stars and bars, a flag with a very small stars and bars (look at the blue flag closely, you'll see it,) and a huge confederate flag (the one we are using now.)  That is what it boils down to.  The people of Georgia won't be voting on a flag, they'll be voting on who they want to hear complaining.  If you want to hear the NAACP, vote for the 1956-2001 one or possibly the 2001-2003 one, if you want the sons of conferate veterans to complain, pick the current one.

I'll not be voting in 2006, because I DO NOT CARE (plus I'll probably be out of this state by then.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/04 at 12:07 pm

But, GWB, don't you realize that there are design firms making MILLIONS by designing these things?  Not to mention the millions they are making by changing it so they need to buy/manufacture the new ones ;D ;D ;D

Not to mention that the old ones are now collector items and can be sold on e-bay for $$$.

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/08/04 at 12:15 pm

Not to mention that the old ones are now collector items and can be sold on e-bay for $$$.

Cat

Yeah, for about two dollars. 

The confederate one and the blue Barnes one are everywhere, some people refuse to take them out of there yards.  Everybody flags the flag they want to fly, the confederate one is almost everywhere here in Cobb County, the blue one is literally every 4 houes in Atlanta, and the current one is over the state capitol and some schools.  The local Shell sells all three designes for $5.95, so I don't know how you would sell those old flags (or the current one) for more than two bucks.

I still wonder why the Sons of Confederate Veterans really need the old flag back, if they dropped it, this would be over (same for the NAACP back when the other flag was around,) they got the state-approved Georgia drivers' plates that SEEM to be on 1 out of every 5 cars:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:esfjpkUrTgQJ:bitterbug.typepad.com/bitterbug/confederate.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/08/04 at 5:09 pm

Could you imagine, up in Massachusetts, a battle over a dam* state flag going on for nine years and being basically the only local news on the local news radio and television stations?

http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/flags/maflag.jpg

The state flag of Mass.

Of course there are more important things to argue about especially when your state flag is so uncontreversial.  But I do wonder what ex-confederate state flags looked like (if they existed) before the "great Treason".

Written By: AL-B on 12/09/04 at 3:38 pm

GW--
      If you're so sick of hearing about this issue, then why do you keep posting on it?  ???

Written By: McDonald on 12/14/04 at 1:51 am

This is BS. The battle flag is obviously offensive to many people. It represents a time of treason and slavery. There is nothing honourable or romantic about that era, and there is no reason to keep it on any state flag. This is the equivalent of the Hagenkreuz (Swastika) being kept on the German flag (which it is not). There should be no argument about this. I can only imagine the kind of people who are so adamant about keeping the bloody thing on there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/04 at 8:56 pm

This is BS. The battle flag is obviously offensive to many people. It represents a time of treason and slavery. There is nothing honourable or romantic about that era, and there is no reason to keep it on any state flag. This is the equivalent of the Hagenkreuz (Swastika) being kept on the German flag (which it is not). There should be no argument about this. I can only imagine the kind of people who are so adamant about keeping the bloody thing on there.

Yeah!
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...