» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Canada's Surpreme Court Rules Gay Marriage is Legal

Written By: conker on 12/09/04 at 11:35 am

Here's another reason for GW to hate Canada.
As is bing reported on various Canadain news sources(CBC, Globe and Mail, National Post); the Supreme Court ruled this morning that if the Federal Government so desires a law allowing same-sex marriage would be legal.
The Justice Minister is preparing such legislation for introduction next month.
;D

Subject: Re: Canada's Surpreme Court Rules Gay Marriage is Legal

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/04 at 12:18 pm

Here's another reason for GW to hate Canada.
As is bing reported on various Canadain news sources(CBC, Globe and Mail, National Post); the Supreme Court ruled this morning that if the Federal Government so desires a law allowing same-sex marriage would be legal.
The Justice Minister is preparing such legislation for introduction next month.
;D

Oh, yeah, if George W. Bush and his friends were not mad before, they are definetly going to be mad now.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/09/04 at 1:21 pm

Oh, yeah, if George W. Bush and his friends were not mad before, they are definetly going to be mad now.

not really, it will just reinforce their world view about Canada being some sort of leftist paradise or something stupid like that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/04 at 2:04 pm

YAY, CANADA! 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/04 at 2:50 pm

not really, it will just reinforce their world view about Canada being some sort of leftist paradise or something stupid like that.

It is a shame that some of the most prominant voices in the media--Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly--use their platform generate more resentment against America.  What goes around comes around.  The more the U.S. condemns other nations for being "left" or "liberal," the more other nations will take action in that direction.  It's a natural reaction against those who put you down.

Written By: Jessica on 12/09/04 at 2:51 pm

YAY, CANADA! 

Cat

Ditto. :)

Written By: Harmonica on 12/09/04 at 4:18 pm

Marriage by definition is a man and a woman uniting as one.....

Now I don't have a problem with 2 men or 2 women being together and truly loving eachother....Hell I got gay friends..and although I'm not like them I don't hate them...

regardless of whether they call it "marriage" or not it's not marriage...you can't something from it's source and give it your own definition just to fit your needs.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/09/04 at 5:26 pm

Marriage by definition is a man and a woman uniting as one.....

Now I don't have a problem with 2 men or 2 women being together and truly loving eachother....Hell I got gay friends..and although I'm not like them I don't hate them...

regardless of whether they call it "marriage" or not it's not marriage...you can't something from it's source and give it your own definition just to fit your needs.

Citizenship was once defined as excluding blacks, even when they lived in free states.  My point is that legal definitions can and do change.  How a church dfefines marriage is its own business, but the legal definition can (and I think should) change to include gay unions because of the equal protection language in the Constitution.

Good going Canada, you're looking better and better.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/04 at 10:54 pm

I think you nailed that one right on the head, Chucky.  Hmm... I wonder how long it'll be 'til we rush the border, guns a-blazin', to liberate the Canadians from their evil leftist overlords? 

Excuse me, I think I will move to Alaska.... right about..... now!  ::)

Written By: Harmonica on 12/09/04 at 11:48 pm

Citizenship was once defined as excluding blacks, even when they lived in free states.  My point is that legal definitions can and do change.  How a church dfefines marriage is its own business, but the legal definition can (and I think should) change to include gay unions because of the equal protection language in the Constitution.

Good going Canada, you're looking better and better.

They didn't make up marriage as a law...it their long before the United States made all of their "Laws"

Marriage is a word taken straight from the bible which says, "man and woman"  so although two men or two women could be together and all the other stuff they could never be truly "married" cause it's a contridiction of the term.

Picture a Round square....a round square...it's not possible...you can change the shape of the square to an oval or a circle but then it's no longer a square...round square isn't possible...same principal applies to gay marriage.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 7:52 am

They haven't legalized it yet, just said that the federal government can if they want to, and already we got some liberals jumping up and down acting like some arabs after 9/11.  It seems like such a nice way to force this sh** on western Canada too.  This is CANADA we are talking about people, now Canada can fall to the ranks of the middle ages (when gay marriage was allowed,) the Netherlands and Belgium (the only other countries that allow gay marriage....some real advanced people there.)  Hell France, Germany, and England don't even allow gay marriage.

Canada is looking better and better to boycott.  Especially since we buy somewhere around 85% of their exports, we are their best customer.  We can economically ruin them if we wanted to.  Maybe, Bill O'Reilly, who the French government credits for losing billions of dollars in exports and tourism, will call for Canada's boycott next.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/04 at 7:58 am

Marriage is a word taken straight from the bible which says, "man and woman"  so although two men or two women could be together and all the other stuff they could never be truly "married" cause it's a contridiction of the term.

prove it.  show me the etymology of the word on a reputable site like the oxford english dictionary or some other reputable site.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/10/04 at 7:59 am

It is alway risky to take things from the bible given its contradictory nature.  I would like to point out(in this
the season to be jolly) that in the bible the word "virgin" originally meant  "an unmarried woman",ooooh!!!
Canada seems to be deciding that it is time for the government to get out of the bedroom.  At the same time
the Ukrainians have to decided to take control of the government, and not get railroaded in a questionable election.  It seems we have alot to learn from both.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 8:07 am

This is CANADA we are talking about people, now Canada can fall to the ranks of the middle ages (when gay marriage was allowed,) the Netherlands and Belgium (the only other countries that allow gay marriage....some real advanced people there.)  Hell France, Germany, and England don't even allow gay marriage.

Right, i don't know what 'and england' means there. We aren't a Leftist paradise, unfortunatley. Soon we will be forced to carry I.D and Blair is following Bush in to having trials with no Jury, i ask you, what has happened to the rights of an Englishman, it used to be that us Brits were better protected then anybody. We could go over to places like Africa, kill some natives, come home and nothing would happen. I know that sounds ridiculous but it's true. (Not that i would want to have done that)
However on the flip side, we do have some ridiculously Liberal laws, a lot of places aren't allowed to celebrate christmas anymore, because it could be offensive to other faiths. Even though in citys all over the country there are Diwali fireworks and big flag thingys up for Rammadan (i think).

Gay Marriage has been discussed here, from a property point of view more than anything. (I.e when somebody's gay partner dies they don't get anything).
I am very split on the subject, i believe that a Homosexual couple should be able to live together and share similar rights to a man and a woman who are married. However i don't think that actual Marriage should be bestowed. It's a technicality really. If they had something called, i dunno just Gay Marriage which was theres, then that would be fine.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 8:08 am

Oh and GW Holland and Belgium are actually more right wing than you would imagine, the Government just let's the citizens vote on things.. such as laws... and in rare cases.. 'ELECTIONS!'

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 8:14 am

I am very split on the subject, i believe that a Homosexual couple should be able to live together and share similar rights to a man and a woman who are married. However i don't think that actual Marriage should be bestowed. It's a technicality really. If they had something called, i dunno just Gay Marriage which was theres, then that would be fine.

THANK YOU!  I have said I supported civil unions, which would give gay people a lot of those rights, but yet they keep saying no and want their radical gay agenda, ie gay marriage, the removal of "Don't ask, don't tell," forced on everyone.  I agree with you.  But the left won't compromise.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 8:17 am

Here is where we disagree, i don't think it's the Left won't compromise, i think it's more.. the right won't compromise.

I am not as clear on the situation in the states so i can't really comment but a lot of Liberals won't Gay people to have these rights, i can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to negotiate.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 8:19 am

Canada seems to be deciding that it is time for the government to get out of the bedroom. 

Not unless they have legalized sex with children.

Ukrainians have to decided to take control of the government, and not get railroaded in a questionable election.

Okay, I guess our election is questionable because your candidate LOST.  They had multiple tapes showing all this election fraud, why don't you shows yours?

Call CBS or CNN and ask something like "why aren't you talking about election fraud, don't you see we got some websites here?"  If you took all your evidence of a "questionable" US election to any court, they would laugh you out of the room.  The left knows they lost, their plan is to try and raise a doubt in peoples' minds about this election in an attempt to delegitimize President Bush's and the republicans recent huge victory over the democrats and John Kerry.  Loser.

And I spit on Canada.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 8:23 am

Here is where we disagree, i don't think it's the Left won't compromise, i think it's more.. the right won't compromise.

I am not as clear on the situation in the states so i can't really comment but a lot of Liberals won't Gay people to have these rights, i can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to negotiate.

Here in America, places like Vermont and California have "civil unions," something to designed to put a gay couple together in the government's eyes, and give them a lot of the rights married people have.  The only real difference?  It is not called marriage.  The left has said over and over again that civil unions aren't good enough, they are the ones who won't compromise.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 8:27 am

We'll.. i'll agree to disagree at the moment, like i say my knowledge of this is slightly limited.

I don't know how you can..

spit on Canada.

I feel Canada is one of the greatest Nations on the face of the earth, they have a great health care system, real political groups, I wont say real elections.. well ok i have  ;), good schools and of course are part of the Commonwealth.

Written By: conker on 12/10/04 at 10:24 am

And I spit on Canada.

Funny how you bring up topics that have nothing to do with the subject at hand....no one has said sex with children is legal, in fact there are some VERY strong laws making their ways through our system.

Also I would
NEVER SPIT on someone else, it doesn't surprise me that Americans have such a bad reputation outside of the US.  I would never spit on another human or another people. All Americans I've met are decent people even if their belief system differersrom mine. You have the right to believe in something different and prprofesshose beliefs as long as you aren't promoting hatered which is what you are verging on.
No wonder an Arizona company is selling fake Canadian identitiesor those travelling outside the country.

Based on our Constitutionnd the equality rights granted therein it is illegal to disallow gay marriage and that's what the court said.  Who knows under your own constitution it may be illegal as well but the case hasn't been brought forth.

Also the Supreme Court ruled that churches DO NOT have to preform such ceremonies since it infringes on their right of religion so it's not being forced on any group to perform only on the government to recognize.

Grow up.

Written By: McDonald on 12/10/04 at 11:22 am

THANK YOU!  I have said I supported civil unions, which would give gay people a lot of those rights, but yet they keep saying no and want their radical gay agenda, ie gay marriage, the removal of "Don't ask, don't tell," forced on everyone.  I agree with you.  But the left won't compromise.

How is a gay couple's desire to be able to say theu are married radical? That is some hysterical wording.

Written By: McDonald on 12/10/04 at 11:38 am

Marriage is a word taken straight from the bible

Bah! "Marriage" is a word taken straight out of the Indo-European word pool. We happen to have gotten it from Old French, who got it from Latin. The Bible was written in many languages originally but the only one even remotely related to ours was Greek, and these specific books were written in the A.D. era (i.e. long after Jewish law regarding marriage was laid out). The Bible was translated into our languages and the word "marriage" already existed for them to use if they needed to. If you were referring to the concept of marriage, it's been around long before Christianity, Christ, the Bible, Jews, or Judaism. It has always had the conventional implication of man-woman union (since that is the social and natural norm in all cultures), but there is nothing wrong with changing that connotation to accomadate the modern world. We have done this time and again with many other social concepts like (as noted by Carlos) the concept of citizenship.

Written By: Harmonica on 12/10/04 at 11:46 am

Bah! "Marriage" is a word taken straight out of the Indo-European word pool. We happen to have gotten it from Old French, who got it from Latin. The Bible was written in many languages originally but the only one even remotely related to ours was Greek, and these specific books were written in the A.D. era (i.e. long after Jewish law regarding marriage was laid out). The Bible was translated into our languages and the word "marriage" already existed for them to use if they needed to. If you were referring to the concept of marriage, it's been around long before Christianity, Christ, the Bible, Jews, or Judaism. It has always had the conventional implication of man-woman union (since that is the social and natural norm in all cultures), but there is nothing wrong with changing that connotation to accomadate the modern world. We have done this time and again with many other social concepts like (as noted by Carlos) the concept of citizenship.

You mean the Bible wasn't written in English!?!?!?!? Well no Shaaaaaaaaaaa it.......Sue me for not knowing Hebrew!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 12:04 pm

Funny how you bring up topics that have nothing to do with the subject at hand....no one has said sex with children is legal, in fact there are some VERY strong laws making their ways through our system.

I know that buddy.  Danoota said that Canada was staying out of peoples' bedrooms, and I stated that Canada was not doing so fully unless they have legalized sex with children (even though Canada already somewhat has, with the age of consent up there being FOURTEEN.)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 12:07 pm

Fourteen.. Bloody hell that's a bit low isn't it

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/04 at 12:08 pm

I feel Canada is one of the greatest Nations on the face of the earth, they have a great health care system, real political groups, I wont say real elections.. well ok i have  ;), good schools and of course are part of the Commonwealth.

I couldn't agree with you more. I really do believe that the U.S. could learn a lot more from our northern neighbors. It really is the attitude of people like GW that gives the world the impression of "ugly Americans." I truly hope that the people on this board who are from Canada, the UK, Australia or any place else, realize that not all of us shares GW's views.

Cat

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 12:11 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. I really do believe that the U.S. could learn a lot more from our northern neighbors. It really is the attitude of people like GW that gives the world the impression of "ugly Americans." I truly hope that the people on this board who are from Canada, the UK, Australia or any place else, realize that not all of us shares GW's views.

Yeah we all realise.. i do share some of his views.. but not many  ;)

When i do my big trip to see where i wanna go live.. i am taking in big parts of Canada as well.. i feel Canada has the best of both the UK and the US.. seems a great place.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 12:12 pm

I truly hope that the people on this board who are from Canada, the UK, Australia or any place else, realize that not all of us shares GW's views.

I truly hope they understand that President Bush, someone the left likes to call the most conservative President since Ronald Reagan, was reelected, and beat John Kerry by around 3.5 million votes.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 12:14 pm

i am taking in big parts of Canada as well.. i feel Canada has the best of both the UK and the US.. seems a great place.

I will say Canada is the greatest country if you're super poor and unwilling to work.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 12:16 pm

I will say Canada is the greatest country if you're super poor and unwilling to work.

And why exactly do you say that? England pays out more welfare per head than Canada does...

I truly hope they understand that President Bush, someone the left likes to call the most conservative President since Ronald Reagan, was reelected, and beat John Kerry by around 3.5 million votes.

Hmm.. i won't debate that Bush didn't win, because he did.. at the end of the day.. the.. man (i won't say better) won. However i think we all know that his 3.5 million margian has been inflated slightly. We won't know exactly how many votes he won by for some time.

Written By: conker on 12/10/04 at 2:03 pm

When i do my big trip to see where i wanna go live.. i am taking in big parts of Canada as well.. i feel Canada has the best of both the UK and the US.. seems a great place.

Thanks to both of you.  Come on up for a visit, August is just beautiful here.
Personnaly I think GW should leave Georgia it is right?  And visit some other countries.
We aren't the great leftist paradise Fox News and it's talking heads go on about, we are just different as is the UK, Austrailia, Peru, Iraq...etc.
I think many are afraid that there may be something out there different and maybe better (or worse) and they are worried.  We envy the US as well, better weather, more opportunities due to the sheer size of the population and economy but we don't envy the violence, poverty or the president.
We aren't dying in the streets from bad prescription drugs, only perverts are having sex with kids, the socialists are not in power, gangs are not killing eachother with guns, our budgets are balanced, our beer is stronger and our winters colder...it no big deal

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 2:42 pm

Thanks to both of you.  Come on up for a visit, August is just beautiful here.
Personnaly I think GW should leave Georgia it is right?  And visit some other countries.
We aren't the great leftist paradise Fox News and it's talking heads go on about, we are just different as is the UK, Austrailia, Peru, Iraq...etc.
I think many are afraid that there may be something out there different and maybe better (or worse) and they are worried.  We envy the US as well, better weather, more opportunities due to the sheer size of the population and economy but we don't envy the violence, poverty or the president.
We aren't dying in the streets from bad prescription drugs, only perverts are having sex with kids, the socialists are not in power, gangs are not killing eachother with guns, our budgets are balanced, our beer is stronger and our winters colder...it no big deal

While I do live in the state of Georgia and have so for 38 years, I have been to other places.  Granted, not many other countries, but I have been to 49 of America's 50 states, and I have been to the district of Columbia.

Not to attack Canada again, but I HATE cold weather, which is one reason I dread moving to Alaska.  Why else would I live in sunny north Georgia with summers that easily reach into the 100's.  And "our budgets are balanced" and national healthcare comes at price.  Want to compare the amount of taxes we pay?

To me, Canada seems better in some ways.  BUT, it comes at a cost.  The cost of freedom.  Big government.  I can't stand big government, look at your healthcare, jobs, taxes, gun laws, and various other things.  All big government.  Granted, Bush isn't my favorite President ever, he is somewhat increasing the size of government.  He scares me on some issues, because I am a small government conservative, and a nationalist.  Immigration and spending are the only problems I have with Bush, but those two problems leave a bad taste in my mouth.

The last things I need is government telling me to do anything, and having any real control over my life.  And what is worse if the federal government, which the democrats love, mostly because it keeps government as far away from people as possible rather than let states and local governments handle it.  Canada can keep it's big government to itself, I'm trying to hard to keep it from spreading here.

And I certainly don't envy Paul Martin.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/04 at 2:57 pm

Canada is looking better and better to boycott.  Especially since we buy somewhere around 85% of their exports, we are their best customer.  We can economically ruin them if we wanted to.  Maybe, Bill O'Reilly, who the French government credits for losing billions of dollars in exports and tourism, will call for Canada's boycott next.

I guess we know where you got that idea now...

http://mediamatters.org/items/200412010011

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/04 at 3:58 pm

Fourteen.. Bloody hell that's a bit low isn't it

Trust me, there's some states in the US where the age of consent is either 14 or 15.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/10/04 at 4:30 pm

I think you nailed that one right on the head, Chucky.  Hmm... I wonder how long it'll be 'til we rush the border, guns a-blazin', to liberate the Canadians from their evil leftist overlords? 

Canadian Bacon

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 4:39 pm

Trust me, there's some states in the US where the age of consent is either 14 or 15.

Or 13....as in New Mexico.  :o

Age of consent for the United States: State by state.

Alabama-16
Alaska-18
Arizona-18
Arkansas-18
California-18
Colorado-18
Connecticut-15
Delaware-16
District of Columbia-16
Florida-18
Georgia-16
Hawaii-14
Idaho-16
Illinois-16
Indiana-16
Iowa-14
Kansas-16
Kentucky-16
Louisana-17
Maine-14
Maryland-16
Massachusetts-16
Minnesota-16
Michigan-16
Mississippi-14
Missouri-17
Montana-16
Nebraska-17
Nevada-16
New Hampshire-18
New Jersey-18
New Mexico-13
New York-17
North Carolina-16
North Dakota-16
Ohio-16
Oklahoma-16
Oregon-18
Pennsylvania-16
Rhode Island-16
South Carolina-16
South Dakota-16
Tennessee-18
Texas-17
Utah-18
Vermont-16
Virginia-15
Washington-18
West Virginia-16
Wisconsin-18
Wyoming-19

--So the lowest is New Mexico at 13, and the highest is Wyoming at 19.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 5:16 pm

They didn't make up marriage as a law...it their long before the United States made all of their "Laws"

Picture a Round square....a round square...it's not possible...you can change the shape of the square to an oval or a circle but then it's no longer a square...round square isn't possible...same principal applies to gay marriage.

Sorry, but I beg to diusagree.  When Cat and I married, we got a licence from the state, required to make it a legal, state sanctioned union.  As long as the state gets itself in the business of legalizing unions, the right to participate in those priveleges and responsibilities should be available to all consenting adults.  Maybe what the state needs to do, following your logic, is issue "Civil Union" licenses to everybody and let the churches "marry" people.  That, I think, would answer your concern.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 5:19 pm

It is alway risky to take things from the bible given its contradictory nature.  I would like to point out(in this
the season to be jolly) that in the bible the word "virgin" originally meant  "an unmarried woman",ooooh!!!
Canada seems to be deciding that it is time for the government to get out of the bedroom.  At the same time
the Ukrainians have to decided to take control of the government, and not get railroaded in a questionable election.  It seems we have alot to learn from both.

Amen to that, sister!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 5:26 pm

And I spit on Canada.

Get real.

And my guess is that neither Canada nor Canadians give a flying f... how you feel about them. how can you be so arrogant?

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 5:30 pm

Here in America, places like Vermont and California have "civil unions," something to designed to put a gay couple together in the government's eyes, and give them a lot of the rights married people have.  The only real difference?  It is not called marriage.  The left has said over and over again that civil unions aren't good enough, they sir, are the ones who won't compromise.

Yea, we Vermonters have Civil Unions, which you seem to think are ok.  Are you advocating for them down there in Stars 'n Bars land?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 5:38 pm

And my guess is that neither Canada nor Canadians give a flying f... how you feel about them. how can you be so arrogant?

And I care about what Canada thinks?  No.  Do I care what anybody from outside of the state of Georgia think?  No.  Do I care about local and state government?  Yes.  I'm arrogant because I dislike Canada right?  But the Bush-haters up there are just fine with you, right?  I ain't the arrogant one, buddy.  If Canada has not legalized sex with children, you cannot possibly say they are not in peoples' bedrooms, especially since they allow gay marriage.  Gay sex is legal in America, that is the bedroom.  Granted it was illegal in Florida and Texas until a few years ago, but it is legal in all 50 states and the district of columbia.  Remember, Danoota said that Canada is leaving the bedroom, marriage has nothing to do with the bedroom in today's world.

Today's school shooting brought to you by gun-control works Canada: http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041210-011/page.asp

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 5:46 pm

You mean the Bible wasn't written in English!?!?!?!? Well no Shaaaaaaaaaaa it.......Sue me for not knowing Hebrew!

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the New testament was written in Aramaic and Greek.

Translation is a funy thing, and meaning can be distorted.  For example in Spanish there are two verbs meaning "to be", ser and estar.  Ser denotes perminant condition, ie yo soy un hombre (I am a man - a perminamt condition), while estoy infiermo (I am sick) is, hopefully temporary.  On a trip to Equidor this got a friend of mine into an embarrasing cituation.  She got a bit lost and told a cop that "soy perdido" (literally, I'm damned, perminently lost).  He said that he would take her to a priest, who would give her absolution.  What she meant was estoy perdido, I don't know where I am and can't find my way home.  The point being that translation is a subtle and difficult art, and one can never be sure that one has captured the original meaning.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 5:50 pm

Weeeell, Canada could have been a great place.  It could have had Frence cuisine, American technology, and British culture. what did it get?  French technology, British cuisine, and American Culture.  To paraphrase an old Mexican saying, poor Canada, so far from God, so close to the United States.

Sorry Canadians, just a joke and no insult intended.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 6:06 pm

And I care about what Canada thinks?  No.  Do I care what anybody from outside of the state of Georgia think?  No.  Do I care about local and state government?  Yes.  I'm arrogant because I dislike Canada right?  But the Bush-haters up there are just fine with you, right?  I ain't the arrogant one, buddy.  If Canada has not legalized sex with children, you cannot possibly say they are not in peoples' bedrooms, especially since they allow gay marriage.  Gay sex is legal in America, that is the bedroom.  Granted it was illegal in Florida and Texas until a few years ago, but it is legal in all 50 states and the district of columbia.  Remember, Danoota said that Canada is leaving the bedroom, marriage has nothing to do with the bedroom in today's world.

Today's school shooting brought to you by gun-control works Canada: http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041210-011/page.asp

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 6:20 pm

As I asked above, how can you be so arrogant?  I guess all the people in Georgia agree with you on every issue?  NOT, as your rant over ther state flag demonstrates.  I also find it strange that you equate freedom in the bedroom, which most of us equate with what consenting adults do, with pedophilia - I will refrain from commenting further except to say that there is a vast difference between protecting children and interfering with the sexuality of consenting adults.  It amazes me that you don't see that.

And what does your last statement mean?  Are you suggesting that unmarried people are "doing the deed" and that this is something new?  My 84 year old father has told me about getting it on when he was in high school before WWII, and his older sister had a kid out of wedlock.  There never was a "sexual revolution" unless that means that it came out from behind the vail of puritan propriety and became an acknowledged an accepted fact of life.

You really need to take some anger management classes, and by the way, I'm NOT your "buddy".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 6:25 pm

And what does your last statement mean?  Are you suggesting that unmarried people are "doing the deed" and that this is something new?  My 84 year old father has told me about getting it on when he was in high school before WWII, and his older sister had a kid out of wedlock.  There never was a "sexual revolution" unless that means that it came out from behind the vail of puritan propriety and became an acknowledged an accepted fact of life.

What are you saying?  That the same amount of people today are having sex before marriage then, maybe, fifty years ago?  I highly doubt it, and I think you do too.  Two people doesn't even come close to a decent sample.

You really need to take some anger management classes, and by the way, I'm NOT your "buddy".

It was an expression, again you know that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/04 at 6:30 pm

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the New testament was written in Aramaic and Greek.

Translation is a funy thing, and meaning can be distorted.  For example in Spanish there are two verbs meaning "to be", ser and estar.  Ser denotes perminant condition, ie yo soy un hombre (I am a man - a perminamt condition), while estoy infiermo (I am sick) is, hopefully temporary.  On a trip to Equidor this got a friend of mine into an embarrasing cituation.  She got a bit lost and told a cop that "soy perdido" (literally, I'm darned, perminently lost).  He said that he would take her to a priest, who would give her absolution.  What she meant was estoy perdido, I don't know where I am and can't find my way home.  The point being that translation is a subtle and difficult art, and one can never be sure that one has captured the original meaning.

That's the chief complaint I have with the literalists.  If you are going tell me you take the bible literally, then are you going tell me God edited each translation?  What about metaphors in biblical stories?  
One of the passages Christian funny-mentalists have the most trouble with is Matthew 19:24.  So, it's "easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God"?  Most people would not take that proclamation literally.  It is interpreted as meaning "it is nigh impossible to go to heaven if you're loaded, so you best make sure you do all the right things."  The funny-mentalists have to take it all literally, so they made up some flapdoodle about the "Eye of the Needle" (not the "eye of a needle") being a very narrow gateway into ancient Jerusalem!  They cannot accept the biblical view on wealth and grace because funny-mentalism wants to turn wealth into a state of grace in itself.
:D :D :D

That's why I'd prefer to live in a "progressive, secularist" society like Canada where religion stays where it belongs--in the church and in the home.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/04 at 6:42 pm

Oh yeah, they have it real cushy up on the Cree reservation in northern Alberta.  They're so footloose and fancy-free they drink hairspray and copy machine fluid to get high!

Canada is no hippie utopia.  They have problems with economic and racial injustice, too.

In most of Canada it is a very hard life being poor and unemployed.  Now, the Canadian government doesn't take the same tack as the U.S. government, which does everything it can to keep poor people from accessing aid programs, and encourages utter scorn upon anybody experiencing hardship.

Canada has problems, yes, but at least they're not going to all the greatest lengths to make their problems as bad as they can be, like the Republicans are doing here.

J*sus, right-wingers from the American South ought to clam up about Canada, they don't have the moral authority to criticize our neighbors to the North, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/04 at 6:47 pm

What are you saying?  That the same amount of people today are having sex before marriage then, maybe, fifty years ago?  I highly doubt it, and I think you do too.  Two people doesn't even come close to a decent sample.

It was an expression, again you know that.

Frankly, I have no idea how many people were getting it on before marriage in the days of my father, nor do you, but yes, I suspect that lots were.  

An expression?  No it was a feeble attempt to be pastronizing, a technique that you often employ, buddy, but that most of us see through because you are so inept at it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/04 at 6:57 pm

I am poor, lazy, unemployed, and probally uneducated.... yeah, you really know awhole lot about me.  ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 10:12 pm

An expression?  No it was a feeble attempt to be pastronizing, a technique that you often employ, buddy, but that most of us see through because you are so inept at it.

How about a few examples?  Since I do it so often, you should have no real problem.  And, I ask how you know what I meant by it?  Care to explain that as well, as you either ignore this or go pick around old posts looking for one or two meaningless examples.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 10:16 pm

I am poor, lazy, unemployed, and probally uneducated.... yeah, you really know awhole lot about me.  ::)

Frankly, you are putting words in my mouth.  I never said anything about people in Canada being lazy, unemployed, or uneducated.  I'm saying, if you are those three things, Canada would be your country, with a great big government welfare/nanny state.  You won't find as many Americans so willing to help out bums, and most of them are just that, people who probably quit school, never got a job skill, and refuse to work.  Remember, America has a 5.4% unemployment rate, I feel that jobs are plenty, if, of course, you are willing to work.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 10:18 pm

That's why I'd prefer to live in a "progressive, secularist" society like Canada where religion stays where it belongs--in the church and in the home.

I'm going off very bad memory, but I think I once heard if a problem can't be solved in Canada's government, they do something involving religion.  I know that is probably way off, but I know I heard, something with Canada's government and religion, the problem was something with muslims and women wearing veils.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/10/04 at 10:44 pm

OK, so Canada allows gay marriage, so what?

There are also countries out there where I can marry a 14 year old girl, even without her agreement.  There are also countries where I can have multiple wives.

That is their country, their laws, and their right.  I would no more tell Canada they are wrong then I would any other nation.  That is their right after all.

And I have given my belief on this topic often enough, that there is no reason for me to say it again.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/04 at 10:55 pm

OK, so Canada allows gay marriage, so what?

I agree, I don't give a dam* what Canada does.  They can keep it to themselves.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/04 at 11:53 pm

Frankly, you are putting words in my mouth.  I never said anything about people in Canada being lazy, unemployed, or uneducated.  I'm saying, if you are those three things, Canada would be your country, with a great big government welfare/nanny state.  You won't find as many Americans so willing to help out bums, and most of them are just that, people who probably quit school, never got a job skill, and refuse to work.  Remember, America has a 5.4% unemployment rate, I feel that jobs are plenty, if, of course, you are willing to work.

Boy howdy, is your middle name "obtuse" or what?  Down here we've got a great big government corporate welfare/ninny state.  The Bush Administration spent all our money, and then they spent all our children's and grandchildren's money, they just spent it on tax cuts for the rich, not helping out "bums."  And you define anybody in need as a "bum," huh?  Well...there's no sense in talking about it on that level.  Sigh.
::)
I hope you like subsidizing the lifestyles of the eight-to-ten figure net worth class, because that's what your tax dollars are doing under Dubya!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/11/04 at 10:12 am

Boy howdy, is your middle name "obtuse" or what?  Down here we've got a great big government corporate welfare/ninny state.  The Bush Administration spent all our money, and then they spent all our children's and grandchildren's money, they just spent it on tax cuts for the rich, not helping out "bums."   And you define anybody in need as a "bum," huh?  Well...there's no sense in talking about it on that level.  Sigh.
I hope you like subsidizing the lifestyles of the eight-to-ten figure net worth class, because that's what your tax dollars are doing under Dubya!

You also don't seem to care that EVERYONE, rich or poor, who pays federal income taxes, got a tax cut.  Everyone.  Now something like 5 million poor people, who were paying taxes under Clinton, no longer pay taxes under Bush.  I'm sick of people acting like rich people didn't deserve a tax cut, the same old class warfare from the tired old playbook of the failing democratic party.

Around 109 million people got a tax cut.  This country has about 295 million people.  Are you telling me over 1/3 of the population is super rich?

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 10:15 am

It's not that people didn't get a Taxcut it's that Bushie lied about it HE LIED! He told a fib, he embelished the truth. He claimed that poorer people would get a larger percentage of his tax cut than than the richest. That isn't true.. AGAIN IT IS A LIE!!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/11/04 at 10:30 am

It's not that people didn't get a Taxcut it's that Bushie lied about it HE LIED! He told a fib, he embelished the truth. He claimed that poorer people would get a larger percentage of his tax cut than than the richest. That isn't true.. AGAIN IT IS A LIE!!

I don't remember him saying that, though he might have.  If you pay federal income taxes, you got a tax cut.  Your tax cut's size was based on how much you paid in taxes to the federal government, so if the rich are getting the biggest share, then there goes the liberals' "the rich aren't paying there share" BS.  Stop trying to punish people for being successful.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 10:34 am

Well the thing is the rich can afford it.. and what happened to takin' one for the team. It's well documented that when the rich are taxed at higher rates then Economic growth is higher. Trickle down dosen't work.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 3:38 pm

You also don't seem to care that EVERYONE, rich or poor, who pays federal income taxes, got a tax cut.  Everyone.  Now something like 5 million poor people, who were paying taxes under Clinton, no longer pay taxes under Bush.  I'm sick of people acting like rich people didn't deserve a tax cut, the same old class warfare from the tired old playbook of the failing democratic party.

Around 109 million people got a tax cut.  This country has about 295 million people.  Are you telling me over 1/3 of the population is super rich?

It's like Paul Krugman always says, people don't know what "average" means.  If Bill Gates walks into a bar, the "average" worth of each of the patrons is a couple of billion dollars.
109 million Americans, in effect, did not get a tax cut as the tax cuts were weighted so heavily to the top of the income ladder.  Even if you got a tax cut of, say, $300.00, that money was gobbled up by increased rates and taxes at the local level to make up for lost revenue.

Class warfare in this country has been waged by the rich on the poor for the past 25 years.  The rich have just conned the poor into thinking the rich are their friends.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/11/04 at 4:00 pm

It's like Paul Krugman always says, people don't know what "average" means.  If Bill Gates walks into a bar, the "average" worth of each of the patrons is a couple of billion dollars.
109 million Americans, in effect, did not get a tax cut as the tax cuts were weighted so heavily to the top of the income ladder.  Even if you got a tax cut of, say, $300.00, that money was gobbled up by increased rates and taxes at the local level to make up for lost revenue.

Class warfare in this country has been waged by the rich on the poor for the past 25 years.  The rich have just conned the poor into thinking the rich are their friends.

It is a very simple system.  You pay federal income taxes, you got a tax cut.  Care to explain to me how in the world you give a tax cut to someone who doesn't even pay taxes?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 6:59 pm

It is a very simple system.  You pay federal income taxes, you got a tax cut.  Care to explain to me how in the world you give a tax cut to someone who doesn't even pay taxes?

It depends on which taxes you are cutting and how much for whom!  The people who would benefit the most from tax relief pay little or no federal income tax.  Those are also the people who are more likely to spend the tax cut money in the consumer economy.  The trickle down theory dictates that rich people will re-invest the money in creating jobs in America...but they haven't and they won't.  Poor people pay a far greater percentage of their income in state, local, social security, and sales taxes.  Heck, a monthly sales tax holiday in your state would be far better for most people than Dubya's federal income tax cuts.  However, consumption taxes are exactly where the right-wing wants to shift the tax burden.  And THERE is your class warfare!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/11/04 at 7:14 pm

Heck, a monthly sales tax holiday in your state would be far better for most people than Dubya's federal income tax cuts. 

Does Massachusetts do that?  Just wondering.  Georgia does that twice a year, once being just before the end of summer vacation for school-going children, to help pay for new clothes, school supplies, computers, etc.  It's worth it, though it costs the state 8 million dollars a day in state sales taxes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/04 at 2:35 am

Does Massachusetts do that?  Just wondering.  Georgia does that twice a year, once being just before the end of summer vacation for school-going children, to help pay for new clothes, school supplies, computers, etc.  It's worth it, though it costs the state 8 million dollars a day in state sales taxes.

Nope.  That would make too much sense.  Those clowns up on Beacon Hill like dopy roundabout schemes that cost a fortune and don't work in the end.  It's like the tunnels in the Big Dig starting to spring leaks everywhere, you just wonder where it's ever gonna end.
I did not make it so, I wish it was not so, but it is!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/04 at 5:14 pm

We did have a tax free day this year, I forget exactly when, but the stores were absolutely crowded, I
forgot they were having it, went to Home Depot for something and decided it was something that could
wait.
The "tax break" I got from georgie was swallowed up by the increase in property taxes, donations to
schools to help avert cuts in programs, higher co-pays on health/dental visits, higher water and sewer rates, higher home heating oil prices, higher food prices, etc, etc.  I spent the money here, on the other hand there has been a marked increase in luxury foreign autos, so we know where the wealthy are
spending their cash.  Trickle down? trickle on. 
The tax surplus we had I equated to the surplus I get when working overtime, and one thing any reasonable person knows is that you don't live on your overtime, you save it for when times aren't so good.  Well this administration doesn't have any conception of that,  and has spent our overtime, and now that times are tough they are borrowing, another bad move when you are already up to your eyeballs in debt.

Check for new replies or respond here...