» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Many of you will think I'm crazy, but........

Written By: Mergal on 01/01/05 at 12:32 pm

this is my theory....

First I'm going to apologize because this may REALLY freak some of you out, but I don't know where else to express my opinions on this controversial matter.  Anyway, I'm quite worried about the future (ok maybe I have paranoia)...as a Christian, I believe that Christ will return in the very near future, and I say it will be December 21, 2012 for a number of reasons.

First, the Mayans (known for being very gifted including in the maths and sciences) had their mapped out calendar end on that date. Second, as mentioned in the Bible, Christ will come again, and almost 2000 after his crucifixion it does make sense. Also, I must admit this world to me is getting very ugly with violence, adultery, greed....I could go on---so it makes perfect sense if he returns soon. Third reason, are environmental conditions with global warming (I live in a 46 latitude zone and it's going to go up to T-shirt weather in a few days!!) and that major devastating earthquake in the Far East.  I'm sorry if I've scared some of you, but this is just my view on what might happen for 2012.

Most of you probably think I'm looney by now and I might even be banned from this site, but I just had to express this somewhat anonymously instead of to my acquaintances. I guess we really should try to enjoy each moment on this planet whether good or bad.....

Subject: Re: Many of you will think I'm crazy, but........

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/05 at 3:14 pm

I would say that if this is what you truly believe than the best thing you can do is live your life on
Christian principles of kindness, generosity, and faith in order to prepare yourself.
There have been many other times when people thought Jesus would return, we can not
be sure they were wrong, we also cannot be sure that he doesn't walk amongst us now.Conduct
yourself accordingly and your faith will be rewarded.  I say all this as a non-Christian, with a deep
respect for the message of peace that it is said Christ espoused.

Written By: fragswife on 01/01/05 at 3:39 pm

I agree

I would say that if this is what you truly believe than the best thing you can do is live your life on
Christian principles of kindness, generosity, and faith in order to prepare yourself.
There have been many other times when people thought Jesus would return, we can not
be sure they were wrong, we also cannot be sure that he doesn't walk amongst us now.Conduct
yourself accordingly and your faith will be rewarded. I say all this as a non-Christian, with a deep

I am a non-religious person as well, but truly believe that you need to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

:-) fw

Written By: Bobby on 01/01/05 at 3:44 pm

yourself accordingly and your faith will be rewarded.  I say all this as a non-Christian, with a deep

Very nicely put, Danoota.

It is best to live your life and not dwell on an 'Armageddon' situation (as difficult as that is - I know from personal experience). If it happens, whether we are on the right side or the wrong side, there would be nothing we could do to stop it.

Written By: McDonald on 01/01/05 at 6:29 pm

Every generation to inhabit Christendom since its beginning has been positive that they were living in the end times. Every generation has looked at the global condition with disgust and concluded that the end must be just round the corner.  When the Black Death swept through Europe, decimating the population, people thought it was one of the four horsemen. It is all well documented.

The Mayans are known for an accurate calender, and their calendar stops at 2012. I don't know all the specifics of the comparison between the Gregorian calendar and the Mayan, but I can tell you that the Gregorian calendar is about four years behind where it should be. It did not actually turn 2005 today, but 2009... This is well known, and we have chosen to simply live with the information instead of going through the trouble of changing it. I have no problem with that. However, simply because the Mayan calendar (the Mayans, btw, were considered by the church to be despicable, heathenous sodomites) ends at a certain point does not mean that this is when they thought the world would end. It might mean that they simply didn't see the need to go further than that at that time. It could mean that the guy who was responsible for updating the calendar had his throat cut by a Catholic priest before he got a chance to continue working... Who knows?

Jesus says in the Bible (Matthew 24:36) "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." He is referring to his own return. Now, working within the confines of your religion, if Jesus himself did not know when, then what makes you think that the Mayans could accurately predict when the world should come to an end?

Whatever is going on in the world today, I assure you that much worse has occurred throughout history and much worse will occur in the future, undoubtedly. Each generation before you has concluded that the apocalypse had come, and so will the many generations of Chiristians to follow you, presumably. If I were you, I would relax and follow the advice of our fellow board members. To put your mind at ease, there are several websites devoted to the history of apocalyptic theory which might comfort you. www.abhota.info is a good one. It offers a timeline and links.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/05 at 10:47 pm

McD is right on the money once again.

When the end doesn't come in 2012, Christian revelationists will start predecting the Return in 2033, 2000 years after Christ's death, and so on....

Written By: MooRocca on 01/02/05 at 12:29 am

The Mayans referred to the date as "Creation Day," not "Judgement Day."  The Mayan calendars (there were two) ran on different cycles.  These cycles converged once every fifty-something years and  x number of convergences of the two calendars was considered a "great cycle."  Their calendars complete the great cycle on the dawn of the winter solstice in 2012 and this coincides with a rare cosmic alignment that the Mayans believed signaled not the end of the world, but the beginning of a new age. 

Basically, the milky way will touch the horizon and the sun will come up in the dark patch of the milky way, that morning.  In the Mayan religion, the sun represented one of their gods and the dark patch in the milky represented the birth canal of the cosmic mother and a celestial portal between this world and the next.  So,  when they predicted that alignment, they believed it meant that the god represented by the sun would be rebirthed by the cosmic mother on that morning.  It's quite likely that the alignment was predicted before the calendars were calculated and that they wrote the calendars backward from that point in the future -- such that they did not choose to end the calendars on that date, but to begin them on that date.

(I hope this helped ease your mind, a little.) 

Written By: McDonald on 01/02/05 at 3:32 am

The Mayans referred to the date as "Creation Day," not "Judgement Day."  The Mayan calendars (there were two) ran on different cycles.  These cycles converged once every fifty-something years and  x number of convergences of the two calendars was considered a "great cycle."  Their calendars complete the great cycle on the dawn of the winter solstice in 2012 and this coincides with a rare cosmic alignment that the Mayans believed signaled not the end of the world, but the beginning of a new age. 

Basically, the milky way will touch the horizon and the sun will come up in the dark patch of the milky way, that morning.  In the Mayan religion, the sun represented one of their gods and the dark patch in the milky represented the birth canal of the cosmic mother and a celestial portal between this world and the next.  So,  when they predicted that alignment, they believed it meant that the god represented by the sun would be rebirthed by the cosmic mother on that morning.   It's quite likely that the alignment was predicted before the calendars were calculated and that they wrote the calendars backward from that point in the future -- such that they did not choose to end the calendars on that date, but to begin them on that date.

(I hope this helped ease your mind, a little.) 

Gosh, you know allotta stuff. I'm glad you're on the board.

Written By: fragswife on 01/02/05 at 2:33 pm

Yes, thanks MooRocca.  I love learning historical facts.

Written By: MooRocca on 01/03/05 at 1:35 am

Yes, thanks MooRocca.  I love learning historical facts.

Glad I could help!   

Gosh, you know allotta stuff. I'm glad you're on the board.

(I think you've given me way too much credit, but....)  Right back atcha.  :) 

Written By: saver on 01/03/05 at 2:57 pm

That is rot!!!
Haven't you've followed earlier when the Mayans predicted 2002 to be the year?? People are trying to tailor things to their own creeds to say one day: 'I told you so!"

Beside, SylviaBrown sees disaster in 2080! 

Written By: Bobby on 01/03/05 at 4:08 pm

Beside, SylviaBrown sees disaster in 2080! 

Does she? She will be fortunate enough not to be around when the time comes to test her prophecy out.  ;D

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/05/05 at 12:02 pm

I'm not sure what 'coming again' means -- reincarnation?  If so, he could return this afternoon, next winter, or in the year 5092 -- what difference at all would the timing make?  Would you live your life differently based on whether it's going to be one time or another?

Written By: Bobby on 01/05/05 at 7:19 pm

I'm not sure what 'coming again' means -- reincarnation?  If so, he could return this afternoon, next winter, or in the year 5092 -- what difference at all would the timing make?  Would you live your life differently based on whether it's going to be one time or another?

That's essentially it, Leo Jay. You can't live your life differently because religion is so biased towards itself (naturally). Each one (and even each section within a religion) believe they will be the ones that get saved. So, if you are in the unfortunate part of the right religion (I'm thinking of Christianity in this context but I am sure there are sub-sections in other religions) then you've got the worst of both worlds. You live your life doing the right thing, believing in something you feel is right but because you are not in the right religion, you are as good as dead. How cruel would that be?  :-\\

Written By: Powerslave on 01/06/05 at 4:49 am

Basically, the milky way will touch the horizon and the sun will come up in the dark patch of the milky way, that morning.  In the Mayan religion, the sun represented one of their gods and the dark patch in the milky represented the birth canal of the cosmic mother and a celestial portal between this world and the next.  So,  when they predicted that alignment, they believed it meant that the god represented by the sun would be rebirthed by the cosmic mother on that morning.   It's quite likely that the alignment was predicted before the calendars were calculated and that they wrote the calendars backward from that point in the future -- such that they did not choose to end the calendars on that date, but to begin them on that date.

It didn't know this. Thanks MooRocca, this is the most interesting thing I've read on a message board all day (and I've been browsing them for about six hours today). :)

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/06/05 at 8:42 pm

That's essentially it, Leo Jay. You can't live your life differently because religion is so biased towards itself (naturally). Each one (and even each section within a religion) believe they will be the ones that get saved. So, if you are in the unfortunate part of the right religion (I'm thinking of Christianity in this context but I am sure there are sub-sections in other religions) then you've got the worst of both worlds. You live your life doing the right thing, believing in something you feel is right but because you are not in the right religion, you are as good as dead. How cruel would that be?  :-\\

I don't think there's anything inherently cruel about death.  It can be sad, certainly, and people often do cruel things to bring about death.  But death itself isn't cruel.  Someday, mankind as we know it will likely (hopefully) cease to be -- to me, that's not cruel -- that's just the way it works.  Is it cruel that Dino and the Pterodactyls are no more?

As far as the religious stuff, religion is a creation of mankind.  It's not God.  It's people trying to figure out what God is -- all too often in an attempt to dominate other people, but just as often with the very best of intentions.  Religion can be helpful when used to empower yourself and/or others -- otherwise why bother?  If someone else's religion dictates that I'm gonna burn in hell on the 6th of June in the year 2014, fine.  That's their own fabrication and need not affect me one whit.  If that makes them feel better about themselves, if they need to try to make me feel less to make themselves feel okay... well... peace to them.  Psychotherapy would probably have been a better option, but not everyone can afford it.  No matter -- their fire and brimstone don't have to make me lose my cool.  God is so much bigger than any religion.  We don't even know what it is.  To be in the inquiry is fine, but when we fail to recognize that we really DON'T have the answer -- and never will -- we're in trouble.

Maybe.

Check for new replies or respond here...