» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney looking to legalize the death penalty.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/05/05 at 3:22 am

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/29/mass.death.penalty.ap/

Subject: Re: Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney looking to legalize the death penalty.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/05 at 10:20 am

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/29/mass.death.penalty.ap/

is this a newsflash suddenly? He campaigned on the issue. It's not like this is a reversal, and it's not like it stands a chance in the state legislatures no matter how well written.

Subject: Re: Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney looking to legalize the death penalty.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/05/05 at 10:38 am

It's not like this is a reversal, and it's not like it stands a chance in the state legislatures no matter how well written.

Well...I pretty much knew that.  Though I'm not convinced it's dead on arrival, but I don't think Massachusetts has a single republican in it's state legislature, or at least in it's US House reps.  Massachusetts should join something like 38 states, the military, and the federal government in giving a decent punishment to convicted murderers.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/05 at 11:49 am

Well...I pretty much knew that.  Though I'm not convinced it's dead on arrival, but I don't think Massachusetts has a single republican in it's state legislature, or at least in it's US House reps.  Massachusetts should join something like 38 states, the military, and the federal government in giving a decent punishment to convicted murderers.

well, my next door neighbor is my state rep, and he's a Republican, and yes I voted for him.  He'll probably back it, and I'm sure some of the Democrats will break party lines to support it, but it will be nowhere near enough to ever see this make it back to Romney's desk.  It's a political "look, I tried but dang it, those liberals prevented it" meant to boost Romney's image nationwide.  Clearly a huge benefit to the state having this guy spend his time on his own "pie in the sky" pet projects.

as for the "decent punishment" statement, well, that's just ridiculous.  I'd rather see them rot in a hole the rest of their life, than be given a quick and easy "out".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/05 at 3:10 pm

I am 100% against capital punishment.  If Massachusetts ends up with the death penalty, the Dems will only have themselves to blame for not having their sh*t together enough in 2002 to defeat a right-wing crank religious fanatic from Utah!

Boy, will I be thoroughly disgusted if the legislature passes a death penalty bill.  It's already sickening enough that 38 states and the federal government allow for the rotten practice!
::) >:(

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/05/05 at 10:37 pm

If Massachusetts ends up with the death penalty, the Dems will only have themselves to blame for not having their sh*t together enough in 2002 to defeat a right-wing crank religious fanatic from Utah!

I still don't get how Massachusetts keeps getting republican governors (not complaining,) it's like Georgia who just in 2002 elected it's first republican governor since the mid-1800's.  How can a state as conservative as Georgia have EVER elected somebody like Roy Barnes, and how Massachusetts could elect a right-winger like Romney (and Weld, and all those other republican governors) is beyond me.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/05/05 at 10:56 pm

as for the "decent punishment" statement, well, that's just ridiculous. I'd rather see them rot in a hole the rest of their life, than be given a quick and easy "out".

I agree.  Plus I am convinced that life in prison is cheaper in the long run than death.  At least with life the state doesn't have to pay for all the appeals that happen automatically. 

Written By: ElDuderino on 01/05/05 at 11:21 pm

GWBush, what is with the avatar? Has that looney Savage been bashing Bush or something?  ???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/06/05 at 12:30 am

I agree.  Plus I am convinced that life in prison is cheaper in the long run than death.  At least with life the state doesn't have to pay for all the appeals that happen automatically. 

The two states that do the death penalty the most are Texas and Florida.  Texas, from what I remember, has a new law (or maybe it's just a bill right now) that says that if you kill someone, and three credible people see you kill that person and testify, you are given the death penalty in 90 days, no appeals.

GWBush, what is with the avatar? Has that looney Savage been bashing Bush or something?

I don't think he is loony, but it feels like I'm listening to Al Franken.  Michael Savage is so far to the right that all he does is complain every day about Bush's spending and illegal immigration policy.  Which I agree with, I've said it on this messageboard before that I only have two real problems with Bush (and it's the illegal immigration and spending.)  But to listen to three straight hours of it is enough, I'm boycotting the show until he goes back to the "liberalism is a mental disorder" and "no aid for tsunami victims" lines, if I want 24/7 Bush-bashing I'll turn on channel 167 on my XM radio.

And even though I am against all illegal immigration, calling Bush "El Presidente Bush" is going to far.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/05 at 4:04 pm

The two states that do the death penalty the most are Texas and Florida.  Texas, from what I remember, has a new law (or maybe it's just a bill right now) that says that if you kill someone, and three credible people see you kill that person and testify, you are given the death penalty in 90 days, no appeals.

Why wait 90 days?  After the verdict is read, why not give 'em the hot shot at midnight?

I don't think he is loony, but it feels like I'm listening to Al Franken.  Michael Savage is so far to the right that all he does is complain every day about Bush's spending and illegal immigration policy.  Which I agree with, I've said it on this messageboard before that I only have two real problems with Bush (and it's the illegal immigration and spending.)  But to listen to three straight hours of it is enough, I'm boycotting the show until he goes back to the "liberalism is a mental disorder" and "no aid for tsunami victims" lines, if I want 24/7 Bush-bashing I'll turn on channel 167 on my XM radio.

And even though I am against all illegal immigration, calling Bush "El Presidente Bush" is going to far.

Michael Savage is a looney.  Savage himself knows it, I think, and he knows that doing the radio program keeps him off the street and out of protective custody.
GWB is showing a great example of the fascism of the Republican party.  Partisans won't brook criticism of their guy left or right.  Period.  They'd pass laws against if they could, and maybe they will now that they've got this Republican super-majority!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/06/05 at 5:11 pm

Michael Savage is a looney. 

Oh come on.  The left says that about everyone to the right of Edward Kennedy.  How does Michael Savage sound loony to you, he is probably the smartest conservative on radio.  A world famous author, a world famous herb expert, degree in biology and botany from the University of California, the man is the smartest one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/05 at 5:30 pm

Oh come on.  The left says that about everyone to the right of Edward Kennedy.  How does Michael Savage sound loony to you, he is probably the smartest conservative on radio.  A world famous author, a world famous herb expert, degree in biology and botany from the University of California, the man is the smartest one.

Just because a person is intelligent doesn't make him sane.  I do agree, he is probably the smartest conservative on radio.  However, the man is narcissistic, he's paranoid, he's confused, and he suffers from uncontrollable rage.  Anybody who listens to him for an appreciable amount of time will conclude he's at least somewhat of a loony...unless the listener is a loony too.  No, he is not dumber than a bag of doorknobs like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Michael Reagan.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/05 at 6:01 pm

I still don't get how Massachusetts keeps getting republican governors (not complaining,) it's like Georgia who just in 2002 elected it's first republican governor since the mid-1800's.  How can a state as conservative as Georgia have EVER elected somebody like Roy Barnes, and how Massachusetts could elect a right-winger like Romney (and Weld, and all those other republican governors) is beyond me.

That question has been dissected and what they found is in Massachusetts voters are very concerned
about all the power being concentrated in one party, On the neighborhood level they go for the Dem, then throw in the Republican to keep them in check.  If we had a largely republican state house we would probably go tor the Demcratic governor.  We are just into watching those guys stir each other up!

Check for new replies or respond here...