» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is this your idea of liberal compassion?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/05 at 8:13 am

Most of these come from the city of San Francisco, California:

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/Zionist_Pigs_Jew_devil.jpg
Anti-Semitic sign at the February 16, 2003 "peace" rally.

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/117-1743_IMG.JPG
Sign at the March 20, 2004 rally.

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/117-1723_IMG4.jpg
Another sign at the March 20, 2004 rally.

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/126-2634_IMG.JPG
Another protester and message at the June 5, 2004 "anti-war" march

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/118-1853_IMG.JPG
Protester taking a break in the parade following the March 20, 2004 rally.

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/118-1867_IMG.JPG
One of the floats in the parade following the March 20, 2004 rally.

View more of the worst, most shocking photographs at the following link (some contain language and nudity, view with caution): http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/

Even more photographs (though not as bad, but all are of liberals, mostly in San Francisco and New York City) at the following link: http://zombietime.com/

Subject: Re: Is this your idea of liberal compassion?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/05 at 8:33 am

Once again we must inquire, what is your point?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/05 at 8:52 am

Once again we must inquire, what is your point?

To show the users from other nations what the city of San Francisco, California and New York City, New York are like.  These places are the biggest laughing stocks of America.

To ask again if this is the left's idea of compassion, something they never shut up about?  Is this the compassion that was suppose to make us run to the polls to vote for a liberal from Massachusetts?  The "hoiler than thou" left makes me sick.

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/08/05 at 8:54 am

I think the point is supposed to be that irresponsible commentary serves only to undermine one's potential credibility.  

Ironic, isn't it?

Written By: Bobby on 01/08/05 at 9:02 am

To show the users from other nations what the city of San Francisco, California and New York City, New York are like.  These places are the biggest laughing stocks of America.

To ask again if this is the left's idea of compassion, something they never shut up about?  Is this the compassion that was suppose to make up run to the polls to vote for a liberal from Massachusetts?  The "hoiler than thou" left makes me sick.

All this seems to show to me GWBush is how much gratification you get from running things down in general.  :-\\

I'm sure in time we will get some report or pictures of how stupid/irrational the British are. Would it prove your point? No.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/05 at 9:15 am

I'm sure in time we will get some report or pictures of how stupid/irrational the British are. Would it prove your point? No.

If I'm going to try to make the general population of a certain city, state, or country look bad, it's going to because they act it.  Britain, as far as I know, doesn't act like San Francisco, New York City, Boston, Qubec, Toronto, and Paris; just to name a few. 

Even though the state of Massachusetts is liberal, the people there seem to be sane.  But the highly urban areas of New York and California need to go be a part of the EU.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/05 at 9:19 am

Does the fact that Georgia has a much higher percentage of groups aligned to white
supremacist activities than Massachusetts suggest that all Georgians dance on he graves of Goodman Chaney and Schwerner, or believe that bombing churches killing little girls are in any way defending
a better way of life?  There are idiots everywhere you go, and there are decent people there too, I
would say there are more decent than not.  Should I assume that you are a supremacist that condones
violence against non aryans because of where you live and because of out political differences?  I
think not, so because you are able to dig up pictures such as these it is ignorant of you to point
to these as an example of the people of California, Masschusetts, New York etc.  For heavens sake
grow up and stop having these temper tantrums that would shame a 12 year old.

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/08/05 at 9:29 am

Oh, you people with your fancy-pants liberal intellectual 'logic'...  ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/05 at 9:33 am

Does the fact that Georgia has a much higher percentage of groups aligned to white
supremacist activities than Massachusetts suggest that all Georgians dance on he graves of Goodman Chaney and Schwerner, or believe that bombing churches killing little girls are in any way defending
a better way of life?

It most certainly did back in the 60's.  But those events are long over, these photographs are current.

I
think not, so because you are able to dig up pictures such as these it is ignorant of you to point
to these as an example of the people of California, Masschusetts, New York etc.

I didn't attack Massachusetts in this thread at all.  Nor did I attack the states of California and New York (though I did attack the cities of San Francisco and New York, and I stand by it.)  

These pictures, in my opinion, show what the far left has become.  The same the people on the messageboard post a report card of their dumb cousin in Louisana and act like all people from their are like that.  Or post statistics of state-by-state health rankings and act like everyone in that state acts like that.  There are always a few exceptions, but you must look a population in a general way, not an person-by-person way.

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/08/05 at 9:43 am

The same the people on the messageboard post a report card of their dumb cousin in Louisana and act like all people from their are like that.  Or post statistics of state-by-state health rankings and act like everyone in that state acts like that.  There are always a few exceptions, but you must look a population in a general way, not an person-by-person way.

Yes, it's silly for 'the left' to make sweeping generalizations, so it makes sense for 'the right' to do it.  Can't argue with that.  ???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/05 at 11:47 am

The thing that surprises me most about the site is the information it provides about Europe.  The main thing being a map which you can look to on the site's main page (http://zombietime.com/,) it comes with the following words and image:

"The leaders of the European Union have agreed on a "road map" for the future. Sources close to the negotiations released the map to the media, showing how the EU's leaders expect Europe to look in 2015, at the end of a ten-year plan they hope to adopt next year."

http://zombietime.com/europe_in_2015/Europe_2015.gif

Does anyone in Europe know about this?  England being North Pakistan, a very small Russia, and no France and Germany for us Americans to make fun of.  Is this true?

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/08/05 at 1:19 pm

Does anyone in Europe know about this?  England being North Pakistan, a very small Russia, and no France and Germany for us Americans to make fun of.  Is this true?

With anybody else GW i'd think they were kidding

How can you justify saying that the 25 million plus people living around New York are all crazy Jew haters.. i don't see how you can take this step.

In Britian, hell in Leicester the city i live in, we have people who love the PLO and other organisations that ought to be smited.. however most people either don't know about them or think they are nuts. 10-20 people don't make the majority.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/05 at 1:33 pm

How can you justify saying that the 25 million plus people living around New York are all crazy Jew haters.. i don't see how you can take this step.

I wasn't saying that.  I'm saying this is how the far left looks.  Plus most of these photographs are from San Francisco, and that place really is insane.

Written By: MooRocca on 01/08/05 at 2:52 pm

To show the users from other nations what the city of San Francisco, California and New York City, New York are like.

Written By: Satish on 01/08/05 at 2:59 pm

http://zombietime.com/europe_in_2015/Europe_2015.gif

Whoever drew that map is a far-right, anti-immigrant xenophobe. Certainly not someone to be taken seriously.

Written By: Bobby on 01/08/05 at 3:23 pm

If I'm going to try to make the general population of a certain city, state, or country look bad, it's going to because they act it.  Britain, as far as I know, doesn't act like San Francisco, New York City, Boston, Qubec, Toronto, and Paris; just to name a few. 

Even though the state of Massachusetts is liberal, the people there seem to be sane.  But the highly urban areas of New York and California need to go be a part of the EU.

Give it time, GW.  ;D

You have had a busy week . . .

I agree with MooRocca's well-worded post.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/05 at 3:53 pm

Those who carry signs in the street tend to be more impassioned than those who don't.  Unfortunately, a minority of impassioned sign-bearers are cranks.  These cranks have a left-wing extremist agenda.

Why don't you see the right-wing corollary?  No need.  The right-wing extremist agenda has taken over the entire U.S. government.
::)

Anyway, I shouldn't even give this lame attempt at tarring all liberals as (insert epithet here) legitimacy by addressing it directly.  Your sole motivation, GWB, in posting those pictures is not to establish a reasonable premise, but to stir up the sh*t.

As for that map, it reminds me of racist propaganda from times past involving Jews, Blacks, or other ethnic groups.  Paranoid hate mongers are love to make maps that say "Jewland," or "N*gg*rtown" in order to scare the latent racism out all the vulnerable denizens of the portrayed regions.  OK, this time they did it with a map of Europe, the message being, "the ragheads are taking over."
"Borders, Language, Culture" = "Bigotry, Bigotry, Bigotry" at the end of the day.

Written By: Screwball on 01/08/05 at 4:19 pm

Those who carry signs in the street tend to be more impassioned than those who don't.  Unfortunately, a minority of impassioned sign-bearers are cranks.  These cranks have a left-wing extremist agenda.

Why don't you see the right-wing corollary?  No need.  The right-wing extremist agenda has taken over the entire U.S. government.

That statement is far from being true, and you know it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/front.htm

Look at the house and senate section:  55 to 44, and 233 to 201 is hardly the entire US government. Even if you say ALL rebuplicans are extremists (which is not true), that statement is not true.  Blanket statements like that ruin the credibility of your posts. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/05 at 4:52 pm

That statement is far from being true, and you know it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/front.htm

Look at the house and senate section:  55 to 44, and 233 to 201 is hardly the entire US government. Even if you say ALL rebuplicans are extremists (which is not true), that statement is not true.  Blanket statements like that ruin the credibility of your posts. 

I'm not saying all of anything, except all three branches of the U.S. government are now controlled by Republicans.  The Republicans in the Executive Branch are the farthest right of any administration in modern times.  Whereas the minority party in Congress is supposed to have a voice, the Bushies keep vowing to give no quarter when it comes to getting what they want.
The Republican agenda is "extreme" because it is beholden to two extremist groups: the capitalists who are incapable of thinking beyond next quarter's profits and the evangelicals who are incapable of thinking beyond next quarter's rapture.  Now, you've got your capitalist evangelicals who think about both simultaneously because contrary to cliche, you CAN take it with you!!!
:D :D :D

Written By: philbo on 01/08/05 at 6:34 pm

Does anyone in Europe know about this? England being North Pakistan, a very small Russia, and no France and Germany for us Americans to make fun of. Is this true?

If this isn't intended as satire, fudge knows what is - it's a joke, GWB.  You should know what a "joke" is, FFS - you voted for one, after all ;)

But I don't see what your posting a load of pix such as those has to do with liberalism or compassion.  I do wonder exactly which planet you're on, sometimes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/05 at 11:45 pm

If this isn't intended as satire, f*c* knows what is - it's a joke, GWB.  You should know what a "joke" is, FFS - you voted for one, after all ;)

But I don't see what your posting a load of pix such as those has to do with liberalism or compassion.  I do wonder exactly which planet you're on, sometimes.

Like I said, what it has to do with is stirring up the sh*t...

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 12:36 am

:P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 4:44 am

"Borders, Language, Culture" = "Bigotry, Bigotry, Bigotry" at the end of the day.

When did borders, language, and culture become bigotry?  Something wrong with having secure borders, english language only, and American culture in America?

"The modern definition of bigotry is winning an argument with a liberal." -Rush Limbaugh.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 4:46 am

If this isn't intended as satire, f*c* knows what is - it's a joke, GWB.  You should know what a "joke" is, FFS - you voted for one, after all ;)

You know, I just got the dam* joke.  Getting old.  The Euro nations are getting overpopulated with muslims, no question about that, and if they start fighting like they do in Israel, it wouldn't be long before the EU voted for an unconditional surrender...certainly before they had the bal*s to fight back like Israel. 

I'm mostly talking about Spain, France, and Germany.  Not really talking about England and Italy.

Written By: philbo on 01/09/05 at 4:50 am

"The modern definition of bigotry is winning an argument with a liberal." -Rush Limbaugh.

Nah... you don't have to win the argument: if that were the case, there'd be a whole lot less bigotry in the world.

The Euro nations are getting overpopulated with muslims, and if they start fighting like they do in Israel, it wouldn't be long before the EU vote an unconditional surrender.

That's another cracker from the anti-Muslim disinformation bureau, if ever there was one...

I'm mostly talking about Spain, France, and Germany.  Not really talking about England and Italy.

You really don't know your French and Germans.  Or your Spanish, for that matter.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 5:37 am

I'm mostly talking about Spain, France, and Germany. Not really talking about England and Italy.

The French are taking it to the Muslims in there own country.. at the moment they are probably the most hostile towards Islam. The Spanish love a good fight and the Germans.. we'll we all know about them.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 6:10 am

The Spanish love a good fight

The sure did raise the white flag after the train bombing on March 11, 2004.

As for France...well...a new French study that asked the soap-phobic frogs in that country which countries do they think are the biggest threat to peace.  Here are the results in order, starting with the biggest threat to global peace:

1. Iraq
2. Israel
3. Afghanistan
4. The United State of America
5. Palestine
6. Iran
7. Pakistan
8. Algeria
9. Libya

And Syria was number 12.

--So the frogs in France think America and Israel are bigger threats than Syria, Chnia, North Korea, Iran, the people fighting Israel (there is currently no such country as Palestine.)  The French have issues.

America survey (biggest threats to peace in the world):

1. North Korea
2. Iran
3. Syria
4. Iraq
5. Palestine

See the difference between America and France?

Here is an excerpt from the article talking about this new survey:

"Israel was ranked number two, just after Iraq, on a list of countries that threaten world peace, according to a recent survey conducted by French newspapers. Syria, Iran and Libya also appear on the list, albeit after Israel. The survey was conducted jointly by five local dailies in northwest France, which have a combined readership of about 175,000.

The list includes a total of 15 countries. Following Iraq and Israel were Afghanistan, the United States, Palestine, Iran, Pakistan, Algiers and Libya in that order. Syria appears number 12 on the list.

A similar survey carried out a year ago ranked Israel "only" number four on the list of countries that threaten world peace.

"There is no doubt that distortions in the French media influence the survey," Deputy Foreign Minister Rabbi Michael Melchior said in reponse to the list. "Even if there is a legitimate criticism of Israel, in many cases we see a distortion of reality in the French media, which explains the absurd results of the survey. In any event, we do not apologize for our existence.""

As for me, I'll post my favorite France-bashing quotes, and boycott French goods:

France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." -Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." -Norman Schwarzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it." -Marge Simpson, on the cartoon television show "The Simpsons."

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure" -Jacques Chirac, President of France

"As far as France is concerned, you're right." -Rush Limbaugh

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee." -Regis Philbin

"Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France." -Tony Snow

"Raise your right hand if you like the French. Raise both hands if you are French." -An old saying

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." -John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people." -Conan O'Brien, from "Late Night with Conan O'Brien"

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!" -Jay Leno, on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno"

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag." -David Letterman, on "The Late Show with David Letterman"

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 6:15 am

LMAO Gotta love those quotes..

Actually GW the Spanish haven't waved the White Flag.. they have been fighting terrorism a hell of a lot longer than Bushie has been able to spell it.

I am no fan of the French either, i admire the way they have not let the culture become to PCised but it wasn't much of a culture to begin with in my opinion.

I don't think that survey was asking who do they think is gonna come along and Nuke them.. just which countrys could cause problems.. I am a big supporter of Israel GW however problems are caused by the Israeli government every day. Yes of course Syria, N.Korea etc are bigger threats but we are talking about the French here. Mr & Mrs Isolationalist Policy.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 6:25 am

Actually GW the Spanish haven't waved the White Flag.. they have been fighting terrorism a hell of a lot longer than Bushie has been able to spell it.

Spain did, in my opinion.  They got bombed, scared, dumped the popular party and elected the socialist, and he withdrew all Spanish troops out of Iraq.  They pulled a France.

.. I am a big supporter of Israel GW however problems are caused by the Israeli government every day.

Same here, but in my opinion, Israel is mother Teresa compared to Palestine.  Arafat was a terrorist, Sharon is a defender.  Israel cannot let these people keep sending 10-year-olds to blow themselves up on Israeli buses.

And, for any other France-haters here, here is the web's biggest list of French products to boycott, and American ones you can buy instead to fight the trade deficit.  America first, France...near last!

Link: http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-boycottfrance.shtml

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 6:41 am

Usefull site.. I'm not totally in to boycotting everything French but i do try and do my best to not support the economy's of those countries who are essentially on 'the other side' although not for the war, I'm not exactly for supporting a country who said oh Saddam's a lovely chap.

See on your point about Sharon being a defender thats exactly what he is, however it was churchill himself that said the best defense is a strong offense. Sharon has carried out pre-emptive attacks, now does this constitue as him 'terrorising' the Palestinians.. no.. however from a man who has said he dosen't want to fire another shot if he dosen't have to.. it seems somewhat hypocritical.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 7:15 am

See on your point about Sharon being a defender thats exactly what he is, however it was churchill himself that said the best defense is a strong offense. Sharon has carried out pre-emptive attacks, now does this constitue as him 'terrorising' the Palestinians.. no.. however from a man who has said he dosen't want to fire another shot if he dosen't have to.. it seems somewhat hypocritical.

Personally I lost all respect for the people who want a new Palestine's cause when they were offered something like 90-95% of what they had wanted by the former Isreali Prime Minister and they refused it, Arafat refused.  It is not plain as day that the Palestianian people do not want a compromise, they want a war, and Sharon is giving it to them.  That is why Isreal went with the right-wing Sharon, because right-wingers have an advantage in elections when it comes to national security and national defense issues, so the people of Israel saw that Palestine wasn't accepting, they went with Sharon to defend them.  I say Palestine has what is coming to them, they had their chance, and they could give up any second, but instead they are going to use this election to pick Arafat Jr.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 7:33 am

Yeah it's true.. i think they were offered about like you say 90% of what they wanted.. and i think all of the land they wanted and they refused. This is because Arafat wanted war to go on because he knew that was the only way he could retain his power.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 9:15 am

This is because Arafat wanted war to go on because he knew that was the only way he could retain his power.

That's exactly it.  I'm glad the bas**** died.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 9:57 am

may he rot in hell forever

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 10:50 am

may he rot in hell forever

Amen to that.

Written By: ElDuderino on 01/09/05 at 11:21 am

Only if a supposedly perfect deity created imperfect beings and then punished them with hell for his own mistakes in design.  ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 3:07 pm

imperfect beings and then punished them with hell for his own mistakes in design.  ::)

Ever heard of free will?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/05 at 3:24 pm

Yeah it's true.. i think they were offered about like you say 90% of what they wanted.. and i think all of the land they wanted and they refused. This is because Arafat wanted war to go on because he knew that was the only way he could retain his power.

Arafat was facing the wrath of the Palestinian peple if he took the deal.  Furthermore, there is evidence (scarcely publicized) that the deal would have divided the Palestinian territory into non-contiguous islands under Israeli patrol.  It's true there is no deal on the table now as good as even the lousy one Arafat rejected.
There is also a whole host of economic and social justice issues that must be reconciled if any two-state solution is to work.  It'll take more than just land.
I'm not a Yasser Arafat fan myself, but I think it is a mistake to personify him as evil for it blinds us to the subtleties and ramifications of the issues involved.

Written By: philbo on 01/10/05 at 7:15 am

Arafat was facing the wrath of the Palestinian peple if he took the deal. Furthermore, there is evidence (scarcely publicized) that the deal would have divided the Palestinian territory into non-contiguous islands under Israeli patrol. It's true there is no deal on the table now as good as even the lousy one Arafat rejected.
There is also a whole host of economic and social justice issues that must be reconciled if any two-state solution is to work. It'll take more than just land.
I'm not a Yasser Arafat fan myself, but I think it is a mistake to personify him as evil for it blinds us to the subtleties and ramifications of the issues involved.

Thanks for that, Maxwell - it's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/10/05 at 11:19 am

Only if a supposedly perfect deity created imperfect beings and then punished them with hell for his own mistakes in design.  ::)

Well, I don't that conceiving of God as a 'being' with human characteristics makes any logical sense at all...  What are we talking about here -- the 3rd grade sunday school image of a grandfather-type with a long white beard and heart of gold?  :-\\  Cute.

Written By: philbo on 01/10/05 at 11:22 am

Well, I don't that conceiving of God as a 'being' with human characteristics makes any logical sense at all...

Who says there has to be logical sense?  We're talking religion, remember: "and in his own image created he him", and all that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/05 at 11:24 am

Thanks for that, Maxwell - it's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Sure thing.  They're going to run into the same problems--and maybe even more resistance--with the new head of the Palestinian Authority (his name escapes me at the moment).

Written By: philbo on 01/10/05 at 11:29 am

The one advantage of Mahmoud Abbas (and indeed almost anyone who isn't Yasser Arafat) is that he doesn't have the legacy of terrorism behind him, so there isn't going to that instinctive mistrust - what the Israelis need to do now is get rid of Sharon so that you don't get his past interfering with the Palestinians.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/05 at 11:36 am

The one advantage of Mahmoud Abbas (and indeed almost anyone who isn't Yasser Arafat) is that he doesn't have the legacy of terrorism behind him, so there isn't going to that instinctive mistrust - what the Israelis need to do now is get rid of Sharon so that you don't get his past interfering with the Palestinians.

If anybody has a legacy of terrorism behind him, it's Ariel Sharon!

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/10/05 at 11:59 am

Who says there has to be logical sense?  We're talking religion, remember: "and in his own image created he him", and all that.

???  Hmm... Point taken, though I'm not entirely convinced that faith and logic have to be in conflict.  On the other hand, if you're going to adopt a particular extra-logical faith perspective, it seems to me that people might as well at least adopt ones that are empowering -- not ones that cause them suffering and confusion. 

People often conceive of a God 'who' is their own personal caretaker -- but that concept can set them up for disappointment when things happen that aren't in their personal best interest, as is bound to happen.  Constantly.  You lose out on a job to another candidate and wonder "How could God do this to me?  God knows I needed that job!"  Well... so was God supposed to screw the other guy?   ???

But I guess I'm getting way off topic here...

Written By: philbo on 01/10/05 at 3:10 pm

??? Hmm... Point taken, though I'm not entirely convinced that faith and logic have to be in conflict. On the other hand, if you're going to adopt a particular extra-logical faith perspective, it seems to me that people might as well at least adopt ones that are empowering -- not ones that cause them suffering and confusion.

I'm not sure that picking and choosing your own God is in the rulebook... otherwise we'd be in a Discworld multiplicity of deities... but then again, who's to say we're not?

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/10/05 at 3:26 pm

Demmit, Philbo, didn't I just say this was off-topic!  >:(  ;D

I think we do choose our own God -- actually, more accurately, we choose the way we conceive of God.  If we accept that for most people, 'God' is the term used to represent 'everything' -- the totality of the universe AND everything beyong that -- the 'whole enchilada', as it were -- then there can only be one God, far too vast and all-pervasive to be accurately perceved by the human mind.  There's just a multiplicity of ways that we humans try to conceive of and make sense of the inconceivable.  So we think of it as an 'entity' or a 'being', often times we assign it human limitations like gender, 'emotions' and 'intentions' and other such characteristics.

Now, it's perfectly understandable that we would tend to think of God in such a way, since such simplistic frameworks can serve valuable practical purposes -- e.g., to children seeking some reassuring, fundamental understanding of the world and existence in general.  Such simplistic conceptualizations can even be useful to intellectually sophisticated adults seeking a useful, practical framework to form their own personal sense of ethics, or to provide comfort and encouragement in a world often filled with uncertainty and confusion.

But it seems to me useful to recognize that such constructs are not TRUTH, but merely a 'dumbing down' of the vast, immeasurable, ultimately unconceivable reality of God, for practical purposes.  When we actually start to believe and act as if OUR concept of God is REALLY what God IS, we end up limiting the limitless, putting God in a box.  Moreover, we inevitably set up conflicts with others by necessarily pitting our concept of God against all conflicting concepts.  Further, we end up needlessly frustrating ourselves when reality inevitably fails to match our IDEA of what God is, e.g. "How could a merciful God cause a tsunami"?

But again, we're way off topic, demmit!  :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/12/05 at 6:01 pm

Since the Israeli-Palistine issue appeared here it might be usefull to look at some history.  Palistine was governed by England under a League of Nations mandate until 1947, when the UN created Israel.  The Jewish saying at the time was "A people without a land, a land without people" (I guess the Palistinians are not human).  Centuries of occupation were set aside, mostly out of sympathy for Jewish suffering under the Nazies.  The rights and claims of Plaistinians were ignored, and thousands were driven from thier homes, thus the refugee issue.  And the western powers thought the Palistinians would welcome this influx of Europeans with open arms?  Would you be wiulling to give up your home to others just because they had suffered, not at your hands but at the hands of others?  Now, had the UN given the Jews the Rhineland,  and expelled the Germans living there, that might have made sense.

And what about all those West Bank settlements, established in violation of UN resolutions?  Seems to me that the Palistinians have good cause to be royally p*i*s*s*e*d, and to want thier country back.  But of course, to you neocons, history doesn't matter, and the Palistinians are just a bunch of rag-heads and sand nig...s.

Written By: Icy on 01/12/05 at 8:15 pm

Is this your idea of liberal compassion?

Is this your idea of everyone who isn't you?

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/12/05 at 8:18 pm

But of course, to you neocons, history doesn't matter, and the Palistinians are just a bunch of rag-heads and sand nig...s.

Oh, but that last one's a lovely turn of phrase -- is it of your own construction, or has it been appropriated for effect?  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/05 at 12:52 am

Is this your idea of everyone who isn't you?

No, just his idea of "liberals," whatever they are.

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 01/13/05 at 1:08 am

Liberal compassion??? yet another oxy-moron ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/13/05 at 9:59 am

Liberal compassion??? yet another oxy-moron ;D

That is true, watch out for the left if you are: white, male, Christian, Jewish, living in the south, or making a decent living.

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/13/05 at 10:33 am

Exactly what am I supposed to be watching out for?  Mean-spirited demagogues?  Oh yes, I see them.  Thanks for the heads-up, though.  How compassionate.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/05 at 10:45 am

Since the Israeli-Palistine issue appeared here it might be usefull to look at some history.  Palistine was governed by England under a League of Nations mandate until 1947, when the UN created Israel.  The Jewish saying at the time was "A people without a land, a land without people" (I guess the Palistinians are not human).  Centuries of occupation were set aside, mostly out of sympathy for Jewish suffering under the Nazies.  The rights and claims of Plaistinians were ignored, and thousands were driven from thier homes, thus the refugee issue.  And the western powers thought the Palistinians would welcome this influx of Europeans with open arms?  Would you be wiulling to give up your home to others just because they had suffered, not at your hands but at the hands of others?  Now, had the UN given the Jews the Rhineland,  and expelled the Germans living there, that might have made sense.

And what about all those West Bank settlements, established in violation of UN resolutions?  Seems to me that the Palistinians have good cause to be royally p*i*s*s*e*d, and to want thier country back.  But of course, to you neocons, history doesn't matter, and the Palistinians are just a bunch of rag-heads and sand nig...s.

And how!  The pre-partition kibbutz movement was socialist and agricultural.  It found a fair number of Jews living in relative harmony with Palestinians.  It was not until the partition of Israel, imposed by imperialist forces, that the ceaseless tides of violence and unrest started.  Now Israel is America's tool in the Military-Petroleum complex.

GWB wrote
That is true, watch out for the left if you are: white, male, Christian, Jewish, living in the south, or making a decent living.
What a bunch of effing bull**it!  We are seeing the revenge of the Confederacy right now!  If any region of the country is now persecuted politically, it's the Northeast.  All this white Southern male crybabyism is just a ruse for redneck aggression against everybody else...and it's working!  If a national Democrat candidate comes from anywhere in the Northeast, he's immediately condemned by Rightie pundits as part of the "Northeastern liberal establishment" and "Out of touch with the American people." 
And leave the Jews out of it.  The conservatives don't like Jews anyway, except for the Israeli right-wingers, and a handful of neocon punks such as Michael Medved and Jonah Goldberg.  Jews voted over 70% for Kerry.  Most of them are liberal and live in blue states, especially NYC.
Southern white male Christians are in the driver's seat, and they're driving us off a cliff!  Quit yer whinin'!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/13/05 at 12:58 pm

See how it works:

White- Affimative action.

Male- Affirmitaive action, feminism

Christian- the attack of Christmas, the anti-Christian garbage coming out on television.

Jewish- Anti-Isreal

Living in the south- Just read the left-wing blogs after the election.

Making a decent living- Liberals and their taxes.

Michael Medved

Ahh...here we go on the dam* all Jewish republicans.  Dam* those blacks that leave our plantation!  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/13/05 at 3:40 pm

Oh, but that last one's a lovely turn of phrase -- is it of your own construction, or has it been appropriated for effect?   ;)

Actually, the terms "rag head" and "sand nig..." were used by a cabinate member in the Reagan admin.  No wonder those folks don't trust us.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/13/05 at 4:54 pm

Actually, the terms "rag head" and "sand nig..." were used by a cabinate member in the Reagan admin.  No wonder those folks don't trust us.

I've never heard the term "sand ni***r," but I have heard and say myself rag head, I never thought of that word as offensive.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/13/05 at 5:04 pm

Interestling the first time i heard the Sand reference was on the film 3 kings... boy they have about a million terms.

Rag head is fairly derogatory it's basically like saying Cross F***s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/05 at 7:42 pm

Ahh...here we go on the dam* all Jewish republicans.  Dam* those blacks that leave our plantation!   ::)

Feh.  Another self-serving right-wing fantasy there, among a thousand other self-serving right-wing fantasies.

I've never heard the term "sand ni***r," but I have heard and say myself rag head, I never thought of that word as offensive.
"Raghead" is not an offensive word, he says.
No comment needed here.

Written By: Satish on 01/14/05 at 9:17 pm

And, for any other France-haters here, here is the web's biggest list of French products to boycott, and American ones you can buy instead to fight the trade deficit.  America first, France...near last!

Link: http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-boycottfrance.shtml

Ummm, GWB.... that site lists Maxim, a BRITISH monthly magazine, as a French product to boycott.

http://www.felixdennis.com/

Check for new replies or respond here...