» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Televangelists....why do people follow them even if it's all smoke and mirrors?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/08/05 at 10:24 pm

I really think certain televangelists like to take people for a ride.....

Here are some of the guilty parties:

Jerry Falwell....Mr. Gay Bashers r Us! Moral Majority,yeah right! Did you not know,Mr Falwell that the Bible says LOVE ONE ANOTHER..that means ALL people,no matter if they don't fit your definition of 'Christians'!?! Oh yeah kids,Tinky Winky is gay :D LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Benny 'Fake Faith Healer' Hinn....thou shalt not lie,does he not know that!?!  :-X

Jimmy Swaggart....he could have gotten AIDS...and infected his wife...all because of a tryst with a prostitute. Not only unethical,but dangerous to your health.... ???

Why do people still follow these screwy 'men of God'?

Yes I am a Christian,but an open minded caring person....not some rhetoric-spouting charlatan. Acts of kindness and caring speak louder than grand churches and $$$$$$$$$$$$,IMHO.

Subject: Re: Televangelists....why do people follow them even if it's all smoke and mirrors?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/05 at 11:39 pm

Because they're followers.  They feel a terrible absence in their lives and they need a charismatic father-figure to guide and comfort them.  I think there may be a parallel between the psychology of people who fall in with cults and women who fall in with abusive men.  Being generally simple-minded and unable to grasp abstractions, televangelist followers tend to like the literalist and emotional brand of fundamentalism proffered by TV preachers.

I know televangelists are still around, but they don't seem to carry the same cache as they did in the '70s and '80s.  Maybe that's a Northeaster point-of-view, though.

You can transfer the same analysis to people who follow messianic cults...oh, and Republicans.

Subject: Re: Televangelists....why do people follow them even if it's all smoke and mirrors?

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 12:44 am

Jimmy Swaggart....he could have gotten AIDS...and infected his wife...all because of a tryst with a prostitute. Not only unethical,but dangerous to your health.... ???
I was down in Springfield, MO about 10 years ago visiting an army buddy and shooting pool in a bar when a commercial for the "Jimmy Swaggart Crusade" came on one of the TVs.  I turned to my friend and one of his friends and said, "Man, I can't believe that a**hole is still on TV." (This was after the SECOND time Swaggart got caught with a whore.) My friend's friend said, "You'd better watch what you say...you're in the Bible Belt now." I couldn't believe it. I thought my head was going to explode right there and then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 8:50 am

Why? Because as a certain someone said once "There's a suck born every minute." and the teleevangelists know it.  ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 9:11 am

Very simple.. Religion has always been the opium of the masses.. it kept people under control and allowed them to feel they had a purpose. TV Is the new opium of the masses it controls people, stops them thinking freely and such.. combine the two and what do you have.. Televangelists.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 9:18 am

My friend's friend said, "You'd better watch what you say...you're in the Bible Belt now."

Wait...since when was Nebraska not a Bible belt state?

As for televangelists, I find it best to just change the channel.

Subject: Re: Televangelists....why do people follow them even if it's all smoke and mirro

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/05 at 10:17 am

You can transfer the same analysis to people who follow messianic cults...oh, and Republicans.

;D  They are now in the throes of the second coming of bush. The didn't learn the first time that this
guy shoots blanks.  ;)

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 12:50 pm

Wait...since when was Nebraska not a Bible belt state?
Actually, Nebraska is more of an Upper Midwest state--mainly Lutheran and Methodist, some Catholic (which I was raised). I'm not sure what you definitiion of a Bible Belt state is, but my idea is that Baptist (especially Southern Baptist) is the predominant religious sect in those states, and Southern Baptists have a more fundamentalist agenda and are more outspoken about their faith than Midwesterners. People around here, while generally conservative-leaning, usually keep their religious views to themselves. It seems like Nebraska is a border state to the Bible Belt--once you get into Kansas and Missouri the Baptists are more dominant.

Oh, by the way GW--I don't live in Nebraska anymore--I moved to Kansas City about 3 months ago.   ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 12:57 pm

See i have always found Missouri to be a very mixed pot.. when you get down near Arkansas then yeah it is predominatley baptist.. however there are a lot of episcopal (however you spell it) Methodist, Catholic etc churches around.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/05 at 3:38 pm

See i have always found Missouri to be a very mixed pot.. when you get down near Arkansas then yeah it is predominatley baptist.. however there are a lot of episcopal (however you spell it) Methodist, Catholic etc churches around.

That would be Episcopalian.  Episcopal sometimes refers to a member the Episcopalian church, but formally it is an adjective pertaining to bishops.  Both the church and members of the church are refered to as Episcopalian.  The Episcopalian Church is American cousin of the C of E.

AL-B wrote

"You'd better watch what you say...you're in the Bible Belt now." I couldn't believe it. I thought my head was going to explode right there and then."

See, that's the insufferable attitude of the redneck evangelical Christians.  They don't wanna be civil and turn the other cheek like they're supposed to.  Instead it's, "Boy, we don't like yer kind around here."  And that, my friends, is an intolerant, bigoted, non-inclusive attitude--a Bible Belt stereotype, and they don't seem to want to make the stereotype inaccurate. 
Like the Muslim extremists, American evangelicals want to force feed their dogma to everybody and condemn anyone who resists.  Protestants up my way have just as much faith, but consider the beliefs of others none of their business.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 3:50 pm

I agree 100%.. Here in england our version of the Evangelicals are up in arms because the BBC has decided to screen 'The Jerry Springer Opera'.. oh get a life.. they have a problem with it because it contains profanities. (not because it sucks) Well im sorry but it was on waaaaay after the watershed and I have heard similar profanities on all manner of different shows. Some on before the watershed.

Like Maxwell says it's more about them shoving there beliefs down other peoples throats rather than having faith. It's a club.. "ya'll wanna be in our club.. ya'll better beat on them Mooslims over thar!"

I just wish they would get it through there skulls.. if we are so wrong.. then fine let us burn in hell for worshipping in a slightly different manner.

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 4:12 pm

See, that's the insufferable attitude of the redneck evangelical Christians.  They don't wanna be civil and turn the other cheek like they're supposed to.  Instead it's, "Boy, we don't like yer kind around here." 
Well, the way he said it to me wasn't so much in a threatening manner as if HE was offended--it was more like, "Be careful what you say around here, you might p*ss someone else off." (I didn't have any problems with the guy after that.) But what bothered me was that I wasn't making a crack against religion in general but against that phony hypocrite Jimmy Swaggart in particular, and from his tone I gathered that there were people down there who didn't differentiate between the two. It's like, if I was disrespecting Swaggart I must be disrespecting Jesus.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/09/05 at 6:11 pm

As a Christian since 1981,I really think these televangelists let their personal bigoted agenda show,BIGTIME.

The Christianity I know does NOT discriminate against gays,lesbians,the homeless,physically and mentally challenged,Islam,Judaism, and those who are not MONEYGRUBBING WHITE ANGLO SAXON PROTESTANTS.

I'd love to see someone like Jerry Falwell rolling up his sleeves and working at a place like the Atlantic City Rescue Mission...which certain 'Christians' want far from their 'nice' neighborhood....I wonder what they'd do if they lost their job,the food in their pantries,and the roofs over their heads....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 6:50 pm

I am a Catholic myself, and I would to say that Teleevanglists scare the crap out of me, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell especially.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 6:55 pm

This is the god honest truth.. when i was a fair bit younger.. i saw Pot Robertson on TV... and it scared the crap out of me.

I was seriously afraid... until that point Robocop was my major nemesis.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/05 at 7:17 pm

This is the god honest truth.. when i was a fair bit younger.. i saw Pot Robertson on TV... and it scared the crap out of me.

I was seriously afraid... until that point Robocop was my major nemesis.

If Pat Robertson isn't the anti-christ, he is working for the anti-christ.  He's a scary, evil man.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 7:19 pm

Mos Def. However he is a big supporter of Israel.. of course again scary if you actually know why.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 7:32 pm

If Pat Robertson isn't the anti-christ, he is working for the anti-christ.  He's a scary, evil man.

I am not sure off hand if he is, but I still find him scary.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 7:34 pm

Yeah Pat is the Anti-Christ on Dick's day off

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/05 at 7:41 pm

Yeah Pat is the Anti-Christ on dip's day off

You mean D-i-c-k?  Which D-i-c-k?

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 7:46 pm

Yes i mean D-I-C-K.. Cheney

Written By: nally on 01/09/05 at 7:48 pm

Yes i mean D-I-C-K.. Cheney

I know...I see that all the time. Although I'm sure there are some people who might refer to the vice prez as "Dip." ::) I always write his name with hyphens between the letters; sometimes I'll use an exclamation mark in place of the "i". And when we try to write D-i-c-k VanDyke's name normally, two-thirds of his name gets censored. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/09/05 at 7:51 pm

The one you forgot to mention are the Mormons! Now THAT is a scary bunch...ALL the leaders...though not all the members, are nuts :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 7:53 pm

The one you forgot to mention are the Mormons! Now THAT is a scary bunch...ALL the leaders...though not all the members, are nuts :D

Cults are the most scariest, especially one lead by Marshall Applewhite.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 8:05 pm

Nopw hold up.. I have never found the mormons to be anything but friendly.. i always invite them in because so many jerks are very rude to them. About a year ago i had two very pleasent guys from Ohio... they were here for about an hour and didn't try and force there religion down my throat. The only wierd thing was they couldn't even drink a glass of Coke or Tea.. just Water.

Really friendly guys.. about 3 years ago my dad had some Mormons in, they were real friendly.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/09/05 at 9:07 pm

Nopw hold up.. I have never found the mormons to be anything but friendly.. i always invite them in because so many jerks are very rude to them. About a year ago i had two very pleasent guys from Ohio... they were here for about an hour and didn't try and force there religion down my throat. The only wierd thing was they couldn't even drink a glass of Coke or Tea.. just Water.

Really friendly guys.. about 3 years ago my dad had some Mormons in, they were real friendly.
I was a Mormon for 18 years and have met many good and bad ones. One particular bishop told my ex...before we ever met..that if she didn't abort her 1st child (Rich) she would most certainly be excommunicated and burn for eternity in "Outer Darknes"...thier word for H e l l  ::) I have many more experiences but will tell all of them later as I am posting and trying to keep a light mood tonight ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/09/05 at 9:20 pm

I was a Mormon for 18 years and have met many good and bad ones. One particular bishop told my ex...before we ever met..that if she didn't abort her 1st child (Rich) she would most certainly be excommunicated and burn for eternity in "Outer Darknes"...thier word for H e l l ::) I have many more experiences but will tell all of them later as I am posting and trying to keep a light mood tonight ;)

Too bad that happened to her, Mark.  But that was just one idiot talking...I doubt they all feel the same way.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/09/05 at 9:25 pm

Too bad that happened to her, Mark.  But that was just one idiot talking...I doubt they all feel the same way.
That's true, Dagny :) I actually met a bunch of very kind caring people over those years....it's just the foundation for thier "Religion" and all the lies that they base that foundation on...it's sad  :-\\

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 11:37 pm

I agree. Several years ago two Mormons came to my door and it was in around November or December and very cold outside. I let them in and told them they could stay and warm up for a little while. And as you said, they didn't force anything on me and were very pleasant. I now recall that this happend in 2001, because it was just a few months after 9/11 and that was one of the things we talked about.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/09/05 at 11:44 pm

I agree. Several years ago two Mormons came to my door and it was in around November or December and very cold outside. I let them in and told them they could stay and warm up for a little while. And as you said, they didn't force anything on me and were very pleasant. I now recall that this happend in 2001, because it was just a few months after 9/11 and that was one of the things we talked about.
Yes, they are kind...BUT they are either uneducated OR in denial about the "Foundation" of what they hold dear. Joe Smith was nothing but a con artist, criminal, liar :-\\

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/09/05 at 11:52 pm

If it were up to televangelists:

There would be NONE of today's popular music...kids would be sitting at the soda fountain listening to the Four Aces and Pat Boone....
Everyone would watch shows like The Waltons,Sing Along With Mitch,and Car 54 Where Are You...

If you were unmarried and pregnant,off to the maternity home with your child put up for adoption...

You would be in school and God forbid you used your left hand to write...THWACK! And you were NOT supposed to cry...

Babies were fed,diapers changed,and cuddled ON A SCHEDULE so as not to 'SPOIL'the tyke...

that's the world THEY want us to be living in IMHO...

Written By: AL-B on 01/10/05 at 1:43 pm

If it were up to televangelists:

There would be NONE of today's popular music...kids would be sitting at the soda fountain listening to the Four Aces and Pat Boone....
Everyone would watch shows like The Waltons,Sing Along With Mitch,and Car 54 Where Are You...

If you were unmarried and pregnant,off to the maternity home with your child put up for adoption...

You would be in school and God forbid you used your left hand to write...THWACK! And you were NOT supposed to cry...

Babies were fed,diapers changed,and cuddled ON A SCHEDULE so as not to 'SPOIL'the tyke...

that's the world THEY want us to be living in IMHO...
Sounds a lot like the Taliban to me...actually that just gave me an idea. Instead of "televangelists" we can start calling them "Talibangelists."  You like???

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/10/05 at 2:07 pm

Yes, they are kind...BUT they are either uneducated OR in denial about the "Foundation" of what they hold dear. Joe Smith was nothing but a con artist, criminal, liar :-\\

I doubt there's ever been a movement that did not have its share of selfish, dishonest, manipulative, ego-centric people.  It's best to just separate the baby from the bathwater.

Subject: Re: Televangelists....why do people follow them even if it's all smoke and mirro

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/05 at 5:13 pm

Sounds a lot like the Taliban to me...actually that just gave me an idea. Instead of "televangelists" we can start calling them "Talibangelists."  You like???

;D LMAO  Like it? I love it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/05 at 7:36 pm

That's assuming the "televangelists" believe a word of what they say.  They're a bunch of huckster fly-by-night snake oil salesman types!

Written By: Dagwood on 01/10/05 at 11:48 pm

You're right, for the most part they are kind...but I don't think that Joseph Smith's being a con artist, etc is part of the teachings. ;)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/11/05 at 7:24 pm

Are these the dudes that you see on the religious cable networks that bring people up and cure them of their "plights"?
Those dudes are so LAME! 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/11/05 at 7:30 pm

You're right, for the most part they are kind...but I don't think that Joseph Smith's being a con artist, etc is part of the teachings. ;)
Nope...that's definately a topic they don't want to share :-X :D ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/05 at 12:07 am

Are these the dudes that you see on the religious cable networks that bring people up and cure them of their "plights"?
Those dudes are so LAME! 

"Well I believes a little lesser in Petie now!"
--elderly woman follower of televangelist Peter Popov (after Popov's faith healing insights were exposed to be made possible by his wife reading info off index cards into Popov's invisible ear piece.  Popov's little bottles of "healing water" were also revealed to be drawn straight from the tap.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/05 at 2:27 pm

I think that many religious leaders are hypocrits. Not just the "famous" ones like Oral (God is going to take my life if I don't raise so much $$) Roberts, Jimmy (I am so sorry that I was caught with my pants down) Swaggert, Jimmy and Tammy "Baye Fakker" etc. Look at all those Catholic priests who molested kids for many, many years and got away with it. With these people it is "do as I say, not as I do". They prey (yes, prey not pray) on the volunable. They use people to their advantage. In my eyes, they are not what I call Christians and should be behind bars. Unfortuately, there are many gullible people and allow themselves to be manipulated by these people. They are sheep. Look what happened with Jonestown.

This is part of the reason why I do not believe in orginized religion. I for one do not think that ANYONE-priest, minister, rabbi, etc. should tell ANYONE what to do, what to believe, etc. Unfortunately, they thrive because people allow them to. If no one paid any heed to them, they wouldn't exist. I wish that people would see these people for what they really are but that isn't very likely.

Cat

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/12/05 at 4:48 pm

"Well I believes a little lesser in Petie now!"
--elderly woman follower of televangelist Peter Popov (after Popov's faith healing insights were exposed to be made possible by his wife reading info off index cards into Popov's invisible ear piece.  Popov's little bottles of "healing water" were also revealed to be drawn straight from the tap.)

Televangelist smacks his hand to the forehead of a woman in a wheelchair...
"CHRIST IS THE HIGHEST POWER! HEAL! LORD, HELP ME HEAL!"
...Woman can suddenly walk without help! Praise the Lord!

That stuff is about as thin as John Edward's psychic powers (But I won't tell my MOTHER that.)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/05 at 7:57 pm

Televangelist smacks his hand to the forehead of a woman in a wheelchair...
"CHRIST IS THE HIGHEST POWER! HEAL! LORD, HELP ME HEAL!"
...Woman can suddenly walk without help! Praise the Lord!

That stuff is about as thin as John Edward's psychic powers (But I won't tell my MOTHER that.)
Sounds a little like that charlatan Benny Hinn(not to be confused with Benny HILL)

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/12/05 at 9:33 pm

Well, it's not all fraudulent.  The power of the mind is not to be underestimated.  If you believe it, it can become your reality.

Check for new replies or respond here...