» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Aid with a price?

Written By: Jessica on 01/14/05 at 12:50 am

I don't know if I'm reading this right, but to me it sounds like these "Christian" charities want Muslims to convert or else they can fend for themselves. Pretty sad, in my opinion. :P

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/4081563/detail.html

Subject: Re: Aid with a price?

Written By: Screwball on 01/14/05 at 1:24 am

I don't know if I'm reading this right, but to me it sounds like these "Christian" charities want Muslims to convert or else they can fend for themselves. Pretty sad, in my opinion. :P

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/4081563/detail.html

It does not say that at all. The title: "Indonesia Blocks Tsunami Orphans From Non-Muslim Home Placement"  pretty much somes it up.  The charity said they were not trying to convert anyone ( and we all know christians don't lie  ::)). Plus the article goes on to say:

Many major religious charities forbid their workers from proselytizing, but a few lesser-known evangelical groups are presenting the tsunami fund-raising efforts as a chance to convert people to Christianity.
Brewer denied that his group has gone overseas to evangelize but said its workers do not apologize for their Christian beliefs.

I am not a big fan of christian gorups, but It sounds to me like the Iindonesia government are the ones forcing a religion on the children.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/05 at 10:03 am

Let's hope it's only a small minority of Christian aid groups.  Some fanatics can't do anything without proslytizing.  If I can't proslytize, I won't do it all!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/14/05 at 3:07 pm

I am not a big fan of christian gorups, but It sounds to me like the Iindonesia government are the ones forcing a religion on the children.

Sounds to me like the Indonesian Gov't is proctecting the religious heritage of the orphans' parants, since they are no longer around to do so.  Indonesia is the largest Muslim nation in the world, so its gov't isn't "forcing a religion on the children" but recognizing their religious background.

Written By: Jessica on 01/14/05 at 8:01 pm

It does not say that at all. The title: "Indonesia Blocks Tsunami Orphans From Non-Muslim Home Placement"  pretty much somes it up.  The charity said they were not trying to convert anyone ( and we all know christians don't lie  ::)).

I know that that particular group wasn't trying to convert the children. But if you read the whole article, it says that other charities are doing it, which is pretty sh*tty of them.

Like DC said, Indonesia is overwhelmingly Muslim, so the government is trying not to traumatize these kids more by having people come in there who are basically saying, "Convert and we'll help you." What's the point in helping your fellow man if you're going to have strings attached to that help?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/05 at 10:31 pm

I know that that particular group wasn't trying to convert the children. But if you read the whole article, it says that other charities are doing it, which is pretty sh*tty of them.

Like DC said, Indonesia is overwhelmingly Muslim, so the government is trying not to traumatize these kids more by having people come in there who are basically saying, "Convert and we'll help you." What's the point in helping your fellow man if you're going to have strings attached to that help?

I agree. To me, that does not sound very "Christian" of them.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...