» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: My idea for new political party symbols

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/21/05 at 5:53 am

I think we should change the symbols of our political parties into something more respectable.

Republicans should be represented by a dog instead of an elephant.  Republicans tend to go for the family-only image, and in every picture of a perfect American family, there's a dog.

Democrats should be represented by a cat instead of a donkey.  Cats are considered more sleek, and hip, and independent(at least to some), and Democrats usually opt for change.

This doesn't mean that Republicans can't have cats, or Democrats can't have dogs, since animals have no understanding of human society whatsoever.  I'm just stating my more friendly alternatives to the insulting ones(IMHO) we have already.

I know I left a few out, but there are too many others to bother putting up.  Feel free to list a few of your own if you like.

Thanks for reading!

Subject: Re: My idea for new political party symbols

Written By: goodsin on 01/21/05 at 6:14 am

I think it's a good idea, apart from the symbols used. The Republican symbol used to be an elephant- a lumbering giant, who never forgets (to go to war on any country which needs it's resources controlled by the US). I don't know if the dog is a good substitute, though- a dog's supposed to be man's best friend, tell that to the US (and UK) troops who are still dying for Bush's agenda.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/05 at 12:41 pm

For the Republicans, I'd say a pig in a silk suit.  For the Democrats, a two-faced chicken, one face Ted Kennedy, the other Joe Lieberman!
:P

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/21/05 at 3:10 pm

The donky and elephant go back to the 19th Century and, if memory serves, were used by cartoonist Howard Nast first.  They have been around for so long I doubt if new symbols will catch on.

Written By: EthanM on 01/21/05 at 3:27 pm

i think it was actually thomas nast

Written By: AL-B on 01/21/05 at 4:51 pm

I think the Democrats need to get rid of the donkey and adopt a tougher and more macho animal, like a wolverine or a great white shark.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/21/05 at 5:09 pm

tell that to the US (and UK) troops who are still dying for Bush's agenda.  :P

I don't know about British troops, but something like 72% or 73% of America troops still support the war, think the country is going well, and are happy Bush won reelection.  But only 40-something percent of America think Iraq is going well and still support the war....what could the people in Iraq really know about Iraq, right?  If you watch our liberal media, you'd think the whole country of Iraq is ashes and terrorists blowing people up, which is total garbage.

Pictures you'll never see on the biased liberal American media involving American soldiers in Iraq:

http://mishami.image.pbase.com/u39/kburch/upload/34994694.052104irq.jpg

or

http://mishappa.image.pbase.com/u39/kburch/upload/34994692._39079949_15_celebrate.jpg

or

http://mk29.image.pbase.com/u33/kburch/medium/35874888.ii110204c.jpg

--View tons of good pictures and stories involving American forces in Iraq at the following link: http://www.pbase.com/kburch/the_picture_from_iraq_you_wont_see_in_the_news

I think the Democrats need to get rid of the donkey

Why?  The jacka** fits perfectly.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/05 at 6:59 pm

I don't know about British troops, but something like 72% or 73% of America troops still support the war, think the country is going well, and are happy Bush won reelection.  But only 40-something percent of America think Iraq is going well and still support the war....what could the people in Iraq really know about Iraq, right?  If you watch our liberal media, you'd think the whole country of Iraq is ashes and terrorists blowing people up, which is total garbage.

Again with the liberal media fantasy.  The American media, including the New York Times and NPR, affirmatively comply in their support of the corporate paymasters of the Military-Industrial complex.  They may not go on daily bash-the-liberals rants like FOX and talk radio, but that doesn't make the "liberal," let alone leftist.

What exactly do you think soldiers on the battlefield are going to tell the media?  Soldiers have no liberty. 

If we apply your attitude towards Iraq to America, what do we get?  "9/11 what's the big deal?  The damage done was confined to an infinitesimall geographical area of America as a whole, and the terrorists killed a mere 3,000 people in a country with a population of 290 million!  To hear the corporate media tell it, you would think half the country was consumed by conflageration and terror, which is total garbage."

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/22/05 at 6:56 am

Funny how internet topics always go out of hand in a few posts..

Written By: AL-B on 01/25/05 at 2:28 pm

Here would be a good symbol for the Republican Party:

Anyone who is familiar with the writings of Kurt Vonnegut will know what I'm talking about. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/05 at 2:44 pm

Here would be a good symbol for the Republican Party:

Anyone who is familiar with the writings of Kurt Vonnegut will know what I'm talking about. ;)

Oh, which Vonnegut is that from again?  Looks familiar.
???

Written By: AL-B on 01/25/05 at 3:20 pm

Oh, which Vonnegut is that from again?  Looks familiar.
???
I believe it's from "Breakfast of Champions." Whenever Vonnegut signs his autograph, he always leaves an asterisk by his name.

Written By: ElDuderino on 01/25/05 at 4:09 pm

I like the idea..especially because I'm a cat person.  ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/27/05 at 1:37 pm

The party symbols for our state are the rooster (Republican) and the crow (Democrat). I don't know if it means anything different from the National symbols. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...