» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Global Warming

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/21/05 at 3:43 pm

In the "SS Crisis" thread GWBush brough up global warming, which he claimed would take thousands of years to have an impact. 

WRONG

Many people believe that "global warming" simply meeans that average temperatures will go up.  What really happens is that as ocean temperatures rise, weather patterns, and therefore climates, change.  Last summer's severe hurricane season, the rains in southern California, the blizzard in the mid-west could all be attributed to global warming, as could the dry winters in the north east, and the increasingly frequent "el nino" and "la nina" currents.  So the effects of global warming are already upon us, and I for one, would hate to see our maple tree replaced by a palm, even if I could use the coconuts to make pina coladas.

Subject: Re: Global Warming

Written By: neebs25 on 01/21/05 at 10:56 pm

I agree Don Carlos.  I remember winters here in Michigan about 15 years ago (I was about 9 or 10)
when there was tons of snow late Nov. until spring.  Not just a little, but tons of it!  Nowadays I'm praying every year just to have a white Christmas.  And as much as I love (and I mean really love) pina-coladas, I too prefer the maples we have here in Michigan.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/05 at 1:53 pm

I love the attitude of conservatives who say, "Oh, well, the climate of the Earth cycles from cooler to warmer periods anyway...so let's jerk all the fossil fuels out of the ground and pour them into the atmosphere!"
::)

Written By: Hairspray on 01/22/05 at 2:45 pm

Tsunami, anyone?

I agree something's definitely up with the climate.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/05 at 3:01 pm

Tsunami, anyone?

The tsunami wasn't caused by weather but by an earthquake. However, the rain and massive amounts of snowfall in Calif. are.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/22/05 at 3:53 pm

Tsunami, anyone?

Sorry Hair,, but Cat is right.  Tsunamis (Japanese for Tidal Waves) are caused by earthquakes or underwater landslides etc.  Global warming, on the other hand, is mostly our fault.  The oceans are warming and climates are changing. 

Written By: Bobby on 01/22/05 at 5:07 pm

I think there is definitely complacency in the air with the issue. But it seems to work in Bush's favour to ignore it.

Written By: Hairspray on 01/22/05 at 5:19 pm

When I watched that movie "The Day After Tomorrow", I got the impression there was a connection between global warming, climate and geographical changes. Must investigate...

Written By: Bobby on 01/22/05 at 5:38 pm

When I watched that movie "The Day After Tomorrow", I got the impression there was a connection between global warming, climate and geographical changes. Must investigate...

I watched that movie today. Pretty good.  :)

Some bloke in a magazine said that our changes will not be as dramatic as in the movie and will occur gradually over a period of 50 or so years. Not sure whether he is correct or not.

Written By: Hairspray on 01/22/05 at 5:50 pm

That movie rocked, especially in the special effects dept.

I normally wouldn't have given a second thought to an idea expressed in a Hollywood production, but I clearly remember the hubbub surrounding the motion picture after its release. It deserved the attention, IMO.

I read that there’s the possibility that future rapid global warming could spark tsunamis because of submarine landslips caused by large-scale methane hydrate release.

I placed this question in google:

Could Global Warming Trigger Tsunamis?

This is one answer; you be the judge:

http://www.rense.com/general60/couldglobalwarmingtrig.htm

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/05 at 6:39 pm

I normally wouldn't have given a second thought to an idea expressed in a Hollywood production, but I clearly remember the hubbub surrounding the motion picture after its release. It deserved the attention, IMO.

I read that there’s the possibility that future rapid global warming could spark tsunamis because of submarine landslips caused by large-scale methane hydrate release.

I think it is possible that climate could cause a tsunami but this one in Asia was not.

Cat

Written By: Hairspray on 01/23/05 at 11:57 am

...but this one in Asia was not.

Cat

Has that been officially confirmed? I would very-much like to see the evidence to support that, even if just an article. I'm just learnin' here. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/05 at 2:48 pm

Has that been officially confirmed? I would very-much like to see the evidence to support that, even if just an article. I'm just learnin' here. :)

This is from the BBC. I hope this helps. If not, I'm sure I can find something else.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/4136289.stm

Cat

Written By: neebs25 on 01/23/05 at 3:23 pm

This is from the BBC. I hope this helps. If not, I'm sure I can find something else.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/4136289.stm

Cat

yes, I beleive Cat is correct... the asian tsunami was caused by a earthquake in the Indian Ocean.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/23/05 at 5:41 pm

That golbal warming could generate underwater landslides THAT CAUSE tsunamies is a possibility.  Its not nice to mess with mother nature.

Written By: Hairspray on 01/23/05 at 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info, Cat. I will be reading it straight away.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/25/05 at 3:54 pm

The AP today reported on the conclusions of an international research team that stated that unless steps are taken immediately to reduce the emissions, the earth will quickly reach a point of no return.  Climate patterns will change irriversibly, droughts will ensue, along with crop failures, ocean currents will change, and ocean levels rise as the ice caps melt big time.  Meanwhile, congress tithers and ditthers.  "I have come to the conclusion that one usesless man is a disgrace (or in our case president), tow is a law firm, and three or more is a congress". - John Adams.

Check for new replies or respond here...