» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Which is worse: cigarettes vs. marijuana?

Written By: Mergal on 01/23/05 at 5:06 pm

Subject: Re: Which is worse: cigarettes vs. marijuana?

Written By: Apricot on 01/23/05 at 5:13 pm

If I'm gonna fudge up my lungs, dammit I wanna be high!  ;D

Written By: Mergal on 01/23/05 at 5:16 pm

If I'm gonna f*c* up my lungs, dammit I wanna be high!  ;D

;D 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/23/05 at 5:32 pm

One ruins your mind and your reaction time.  The other doesn't.  Plus if pot was made legal, no way they would allow you to smoke it and drive like they do with cigarettes.  I'm voting for marijuana.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/23/05 at 10:08 pm

Whoo.... cigarettes are far worse.. much like Apricot said if i am gonna damage my health i wanna get something out of it

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/24/05 at 4:52 am

Marijuana.

What Apricot said:
If I'm gonna f*c* up my lungs, dammit I wanna be high!

Written By: goodsin on 01/24/05 at 7:25 am

Cigarettes, by far. Physically addictive, short duration of effect, smell foul, available everywhere you go. I think marijuana probably has more tar, but I'd suggest smoking small amounts at a time in a water-pipe, which removes the vast majority of water-soluble tars, improving the 'cleanliness' to some extent. :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/24/05 at 12:11 pm

If I'm gonna f*c* up my lungs, dammit I wanna be high!  ;D

Ha!

Tanya

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/24/05 at 12:18 pm

I am not competely sure about marijuana (I do know that I am not planing to try it anytime soon), so I would go with cigarettes.

Written By: philbo on 01/24/05 at 3:20 pm

If I'm gonna f*c* up my lungs, dammit I wanna be high! ;D

ROFL!

Just as an aside: measure for measure, pot is nastier than tobacco (I think I can find the research, if anyone's interested); however, nobody smokes as many joints as ciggies - when normal consumption levels are used, pot comes in a bit safer (but it's of the same order - not a huge difference).

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/24/05 at 3:36 pm

Cook marijuana in brownies, eat 'em, and you feel happy.

Cook tobacco in brownies, eat 'em, and you feel crappy.

Not that I've done either, of course.  8)

Written By: neebs25 on 01/26/05 at 12:11 pm

Cigarettes, by far. Physically addictive, short duration of effect, smell foul, available everywhere you go. I think marijuana probably has more tar, but I'd suggest smoking small amounts at a time in a water-pipe, which removes the vast majority of water-soluble tars, improving the 'cleanliness' to some extent. :D

Helpful Hint.... if you're gonna bong-it, make sure to drop a few ice cubes in the water to make it a much more smoother toke. ;)

Written By: goodsin on 01/27/05 at 7:12 am

Helpful Hint.... if you're gonna bong-it, make sure to drop a few ice cubes in the water to make it a much more smoother toke. ;)

Or fill it with snow- it doesn't snow that often here, but when it does, I normally store some in the freezer for this purpose (in case some friends come round  ;))

Written By: goodsin on 01/27/05 at 7:24 am

Talking about water pipes, I'd imagine they'd benefit tobacco smokers, too. Apparently a lot of the lung damage caused by smoking is to do with abrasions caused by hot, dry smoke. As a water-pipe turns this into cool, moist (and less tarry) smoke, I'd imagine it would help tobacco users reduce damage too. Does anyone know if the Moroccans/ Turks/ Egyptians use water in their big stationary tobacco pipes? (Hookahs etc)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/27/05 at 12:08 pm

IMO Bongin' it is a far more satisfying way to reap the 'benefits'.

As has been said it cleans a lot of crap out, makes it smoothe and cool and can be shared a lot easier.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/05 at 7:46 am

It's been a while, but the bong has always been the best way to go.  The water takes out impurities and makes a cooler purer toke, you can breathe much deeper.  As for cigarettes, well there isn't much good you can say about them.  The biggest problem is the additives.  It is a wonder that none of the companies haven't gone green and sold unadulterated cigarette, but then if they were to take out the addictive additives people wouldn't smoke as much, and they would rather see you die smoking as much as possible.

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 01/31/05 at 5:19 pm

cgarettes :P

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/01/05 at 6:50 pm

Cigarettes are worse because they are extremely addictive, whereas marijuana can be used to help people in some cases.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 8:10 pm

Weed would probably be worse if you did it as much as smokers do tobacco.  But since weed isn't that addictive, I voted "the black stuff".

Written By: arcube642 on 11/26/07 at 5:26 pm

what the fudge?! Pot is way worse for you. It's cut thicker for a bigger high, therefore it cuts up your lungs/throat more. The chemicals in it are way worse for you. My Pot-head friend is a fudgeing chemist, and knows the chemicals in each. I asked him if it's possible to smoke asprin, and his response was how many milligrams. He knows his sheesh. *sigh*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/07 at 7:32 pm

Wow-where was this thread hiding? Anyway, I would have to say cigarettes. I'm sure that many of you know that Carlos & I have recently kicked the habit. It has been almost 2 months now. I still want one-BAD. Which is part of the problem. This is my second time quitting. The first time was back in the dark ages-and I quit for 2 and a half years before going back. Those cigarettes are constantly calling you no matter how long you have quit for. Anyone who has ever quit will tell you that. Pot is not really addicting like nicotine is-yeah, it can be psychologically addicting but not physically.  Also, I'm sure this may surprise some people (or it may not surprise some people) but the total number of deaths related to marijuana is NONE!!! I can't tell you the total number of deaths related to cigarettes. Also pot has a lot of medicinal properties to it. It helps increase the appetite for people who are undergoing chemo. It also help prevent glaucoma. Not to mention it is a muscle relaxer so it helps with headaches and cramps. The one that floored me which I don't quite understand is that it also helps people with asthma.   

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/07 at 7:34 pm

How'd I miss this poll?

MerCat must be a total stoner to post a poll with these options:

Don't know
Pot
Both
Don't know

:D

It depends on several variables as to which is worse.
Commercial cigarette tobacco is a toxic waste dump; it's also artificially loaded with nicotine.  Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.  Nicotine is a naturally occurring substance in tobacco, the cigarette manufacturers just boost the amount to an obscene level to get the smoker hopelessly hooked..  If I was going to smoke ciggies, I'd hand-roll them with a high quality blend organic tobacco, which is also hazardous to your health; however, smoking five hand-rolled cigarettes a day is not deadly, like smoking 40 commercial cigarettes a day is.  

Smoking marijuana is not good for your health.  Period.  Once again, the chemical additives in commercial cigarettes make them inherently more toxic than pot.  Once again, there's the question of quantity.  The average pot smoker smoks far less pot than the aver cigarette smoker smokes tobacco.  

I know pot smokers of all types.  The ones who function best with marijuana use it occasionally, once a week tops.  Habitual smokers tend to suffer from a lack of motivation and organizational skills.  I've known successful businessmen, teachers, and entrepeneurs who smoke it daily, sometimes several times daily, and manage their careers and personal lives just fine.  These are the exceptions.  I have also known several people who initiated marijuana habituation in their teens and the habit damaged their lives and hurt their families every bit as badly as a hard case of alcoholism.  

When should you start smoking cigarettes?  Never.

When should you start smoking marijuana?  There is no should; however, it is better not to start in your teens because your sense of judgment is not as developed as it is in your twenties, thirties, and up.  Teens are generally more prone to anger and depression than older people. I too often see teens use marijuana in a rebellious or escapist way, which is bound to be deleterious.  The teen years are also when psychiatric problems tend to manifest (depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder).  If you've got depression or schizophrenia, marijuana can be very dangerous to your condition.  I've had lifelong severe depression and anxiety.  When that pot hit my brain chemistry it was a quasi-hallucinogenic experience.  I was enamoured with it.  Then I started getting consternating panic attacks while smoking the stuff, and the hangovers would result in suicide ideation.  I was forced to quit.  

In fact, I was once arrested and charged with possession because I was flipping out.  I thought I was having a heart attack.  Panic will do that.  I called an ambulance, the cops came with, and confiscated my baggie.  I didn't care.  The panic was so bad I was hyperventillating and it felt like my heart was going jump straight through my ribs.  I was on oxygen for an hour, then they gave me 10 mg of Valium and sent me home.  Next day a local cop dropped me off a summons.  The judge gave me six months probation and told me to stay out of trouble.  That was nearly 20 years ago, and it's still on my record.  The court said it would be sealed because it was my first offense; they lied.  
:-[

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/07 at 9:58 pm

Both will kill you, only Marijuanna will do it much faster.  I think smoking anything is completely stupid.  Why anyone would want to fill their lungs with smoke is something which I will never understand

Written By: Red Ant on 11/26/07 at 10:03 pm

Wow, I guess someone found this thread again via Google...

To honor a 34 month old thread, bumped, and to conduct a controlled, scientific study for valid answers, I'm gonna smoke ...

A BIG FAT SPLIFF!!!

and a pack of Pall Mall unfiltered and compare the experiences.

I'll let you all know the results in the morning.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 11/26/07 at 10:34 pm

Wow, I guess someone found this thread again via Google...

To honor a 34 month old thread, bumped, and to conduct a controlled, scientific study for valid answers, I'm gonna smoke ...

A BIG FAT SPLIFF!!!

and a pack of Pall Mall unfiltered and compare the experiences.

I'll let you all know the results in the morning.

Ant

Wait for me! I'll be there in six hours or something! :D

Written By: digger on 11/26/07 at 10:40 pm

Coming from an idiot who's done both, they're both bad for you in the long term.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/26/07 at 10:42 pm

cigarettes. . . have you ever heard of a cigarette party.  cigarettes are not recreational, it becomes an annoying necessity.  At least with pot you get a buzz.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/26/07 at 11:08 pm

I'm guessing the presence of 2 "Don't know" options is a test to see if you're actually high while trying to answer this poll....

Written By: digger on 11/26/07 at 11:14 pm

The one that floored me which I don't quite understand is that it also helps people with asthma.   

I can testify that this is absolute crap - it made mine worse  :\'(

Written By: La Roche on 11/26/07 at 11:16 pm

I like to go and see Mary Jane from time to time and always have a pleasent experience. I rarely smoke a joint, far more likely to pipe it or bong it for a cleaner smoke. If I don't have any, it's no issue.. I don't smoke any.

I've been an on again off again smoker since I was about 14 years old and trust me, the off again is always difficult (not impossible though!).

Here's the thing.. having an evening with Mary Jane is a social thing, it's almost always more than one person, free's the lips and gets everyone laughing, it's fun. Being a smoker on the other hand turns one in to somewhat of a social pariah because of societies attitude towards smoking now.

I'll always smoke gear, well.. until I die I suppose, but I pretty much stopped smoking several months ago, I just didn't see the point anymore, it was costing me money that could be put towards.. well.. more gear.  ;D

Written By: Zoso on 11/27/07 at 12:06 am

I'd say cigarettes. They are more addictive then weed and they kill more people, yet they are legal and sold everywhere.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/07 at 1:50 pm

FYI about the poll: The board had some "issues" a long time ago. As a result, most (if not all) of the polls were effected. Many had options deleted/duplicated or both. Since this is an old poll, it was also effected-which is why there are two of the same options.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 11/27/07 at 2:04 pm

Cigarettes are far more worst, you don't get lung cancer fom smoking Marijuana, you don't pass on second hand smoke from marijuana, oh sure you may damage a few brain cells,but your risk of dying are much less. If your sick they don't prescribe medical cigarettes, but they do prescribe medical marijuana
Take it from me my husband has been smoking pot since he was 16 he is now 41, he is very healthy, he is alittle bit paranoid, but I think that comes with the territory

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 2:34 pm

I've done both...and haven't become addicted to either of them. I will say this though....cigarette smoke smells better than pot (when the person is actually smoking it..but I hate the smell of stale cigarettes..yuck). But, IMO...neither of them are really great for ya.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/07 at 9:22 pm

I like to go and see Mary Jane from time to time and always have a pleasent experience. I rarely smoke a joint, far more likely to pipe it or bong it for a cleaner smoke. If I don't have any, it's no issue.. I don't smoke any.

I've been an on again off again smoker since I was about 14 years old and trust me, the off again is always difficult (not impossible though!).

Here's the thing.. having an evening with Mary Jane is a social thing, it's almost always more than one person, free's the lips and gets everyone laughing, it's fun. Being a smoker on the other hand turns one in to somewhat of a social pariah because of societies attitude towards smoking now.

I'll always smoke gear, well.. until I die I suppose, but I pretty much stopped smoking several months ago, I just didn't see the point anymore, it was costing me money that could be put towards.. well.. more gear.  ;D

As a habit it gets dull and mundane.  Much more fun and more pleasurable to do it occasionally.

Written By: McDonald on 11/27/07 at 10:33 pm

You figured that one out too then, eh? LOL. Back in my bong-hitting days, I did the same thing.

These days I rarely partake of the cheeb, but if I had to give my opinion on which is better, smokes or pot, I would have to say pot. Pot is used casually by most consumers of the drug, whereas nicotine is sometimes used casually, but highly physically addictive.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/28/07 at 7:34 pm

Neither one is good (either for your health or for society in general), but I agree cigarettes are worse, probably because they're so pervasive in daily life. They don't really affect your behavior as much, but like other people have pointed out, they're actually more dangerous in terms of causing disease and death. I've never smoked one in my life and don't plan to, but I've heard it's harder to stop once you're addicted. Plus, they're more of an annoying habit. Like, when you're out with someone and it's always "Oh, I've gotta stop and get some cigarettes". ;D

Although I don't approve of weed personally either...I have had friends who smoked, and most of them were pretty cool, even if lazy.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/07 at 7:36 pm

Where's the cigarette option?

Because I was going to say "cigarette".

Although both have their problems, cigarettes are the greater of the two evils.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/07 at 7:43 pm

I'm guessing the presence of 2 "Don't know" options is a test to see if you're actually high while trying to answer this poll....

Tha's why I didn't click it, no cigarette option, no vote. I just did a verbal vote.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/28/07 at 7:53 pm

I'm guessing the second "Don't Know" vote was supposed to be a "cigarette" option, but the OP got confused and put it twice by mistake, lol.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/28/07 at 8:15 pm

Nicotine is more addictive than THC.  In addition to this, cigarettes have more carcinogenic additives than a typical joint.

Of course, some joints are laced with other drugs.  Granted, this wouldn't be an issue if pot was legalized and regulated....

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/07 at 11:43 pm

I'm guessing the second "Don't Know" vote was supposed to be a "cigarette" option, but the OP got confused and put it twice by mistake, lol.

Or didn't want to be hunted down by the tobacco companies.  :D

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/29/07 at 2:57 pm

Cigs are bad!

Pot is goooooooood :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/07 at 11:37 pm

Cigs are bad!

Pot is goooooooood :D

What about "blunts"?  Is that only 1/2 good?

One time I tried what the brothers do down in the 'hood, a blunt and 40.  Knocked me ass for six hours.  That's what you call "blunt trauma"!

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/30/07 at 12:30 am

Eh, both are bad for your overall health. Inhaling smoke, no matter what it is, is not good for your lungs.

That being said, obviously, cigarettes are the worse of the two. Even if not for the tobacco itself, the chemicals the cig companies use in it by themselves are deadly, nevermind the nicotine in them.

As for weed, well, I do believe the active ingredient in pot, THC has some genuine medicinal purposes. If you or anyone you know has ever had or suffered from chronic (no pun intended) pain, then you'd probably understand.

Don't smoke anymore (bad heart), but I had my times that I did, back in the day.
Personally, separate from all the legal bugaboos, I don't see anything really wrong with occasional use, and should be enjoyed by responsible adults.

Compared to the "legal" substances like alcohol and tobacco, certainly less of a social problem. Never heard anyone getting cancer from smoking a "J". Or complaining about second hand smoke, nasty ash trays, nasty cig butts, yellow hands, that evernasty smell of smoke in your clothes and in your hair. Unlike alcohol you don't have the chorisis of the liver, the vomit, the hangover, the DUI's or having to roust two potheads outside a bar for fighting or other stupid and violent crap drunkards are known for...hmm, on the other hand, bongwater is pretty damn nasty if you spill it (that smell NEVER goes away). ;)

Nicotine is many times more addictive (more so than heroin or cocaine). Alchoholism has been a plauge for centuries, death from it or associatated illness is inumerable.

As "drugs" go pot is one of the least dangerous As a matter of fact, to this day, there has never been a known medical case of someone overdosing and dying from marijuana alone.

Legalize it, tax it and move on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/07 at 12:57 am

From what I hear from friends and reports in the press, both are bad for you, and please do not.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/30/07 at 6:42 pm

Legalizing pot is a good thing.  The War on Drugs is a farce.

The best demonstration of the futility in banning a substance with an established market and high demand is Prohibition.  There are too many reasons to list here as to why it makes sense to legalize it.

To put it more bluntly, the government is here to protect people from each other, not from themselves.  If people want to smoke a joint or a cigarette, it's none of the government's business, and people who choose to use these substances should have to deal with the consequences and health risks on their own terms.  We certainly don't need the government telling us what to do, since they aren't exactly "moral" themselves.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/30/07 at 10:12 pm

The best demonstration of the futility in banning a substance with an established market and high demand is Prohibition.  There are too many reasons to list here as to why it makes sense to legalize it.

To put it more bluntly, the government is here to protect people from each other, not from themselves.  If people want to smoke a joint or a cigarette, it's none of the government's business, and people who choose to use these substances should have to deal with the consequences and health risks on their own terms.  We certainly don't need the government telling us what to do, since they aren't exactly "moral" themselves.

Interesting choice of word. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/07 at 12:21 am

The War on Drugs is a farce because it has failed miserably for forty years and our government refuses to change its tactics.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

The law isn't stopping me from buying cocaine.  If I don't know anybody who could get me an 8-ball tonight, but I know somebody who knows somebody.  I could go downtown at 6:00 and score by 8:00.  I don't because I don't want 8-ball.  I don't want buy cocaine and snort up for the weekend for the same reason I don't go down to the packie, buy myself a bottle of rotgut and stay sh*tfaced all weekend.  They both lead to sorrow. 

Your guidance counselor's admonitions about the dangers of drugs were not wrong.  However, the prohibition is doing more harm than good.

Vote for Huckabee.  He doesn't think you should be allowed to smoke cigarettes in your own home!
::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/07 at 7:04 am

I pretty much agree. The same thing pretty much happened in the Prohibition era when alcohol was banned. Of course that doesn't mean any of that is good, but I think cigarettes and alcohol are more poisonous to our society than weed is, yet they're legalized. Weed might make people lazy (or at least act like Cheech and Chong), but at least it won't directly contribute to anyone's death.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/07 at 1:33 pm

I pretty much agree. The same thing pretty much happened in the Prohibition era when alcohol was banned. Of course that doesn't mean any of that is good, but I think cigarettes and alcohol are more poisonous to our society than weed is, yet they're legalized. Weed might make people lazy (or at least act like Cheech and Chong), but at least it won't directly contribute to anyone's death.

Marijuana smoke is a carcinogen; it's just far less likely to kill you because it is not as carcinogenic as commercial cigarette smoke, and most pot smokers smoke just a fraction of what cigarette smokers smoke.  Often those who smoke marijuana heavily also smoke a lot of tobacco as well; thus, it can be hard to tell what brought on the cancer. 

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/08/07 at 10:15 am

Interesting thread. I was a chronic 3 joints a day guy from '74-76' ... and although I dropped the amount, pretty much smoke periodically up until about 2004. I've been 'clean' since.

Re the quantity of cigs versus dope .. well, you can obviously get by with a lot less of the latter. In the end, I'd hone my deep breathing / holding the smoke in the lungs .. for close to a minute ... to the point where perhaps a quarter of a joint might have me stoned for around 3 hours. A cheap night in !  8)

I'm not so sure as I used to be that it's without harm ... though if I was forced to choose one or the other ... marijuana certainly is far more enjoyable. The aftermath is less so. I'd often be extremely tired the following day, lacking motivation, somewhat gloomy. Those are probably amongst the chief reasons I gave it away. Additionally, I'd have very strong flash-backs of this ex girlfriend who essentially 'broke my heart' ... and it was like the memories were too intense ... I could almost touch her, but not really ... never again, I realised. After months of such thoughts, and the other symptoms, I just gave my whole 'stash' away to a friend.  :\'(

Re the cigs ... I got pleurisy as an 18 year old ... after smoking pipes, cigars, 20 a day (cigs). Every time I coughed or sneezed, the VIOLENT pains I felt ... thought I was gonna die (really !). Gave up the cigs after that, swapping them for the dope a year or 2 later in the good ol US of A .... yes you yanks managed to corrupt me (a sweet innocent young guy fresh from the UK. Thanks !  >:(  ;)  ;D

As an ex cigarette smoker, I hate those things with a passion. I know that those bastards from the cigarette companies went before some committee to swear that they believed nicotine was non addictive. Later, I saw this doco that revealed how these companies had buried the evidence which not only showed that they knew it was .... but were deliberately manipulating the levels etc; to get people hooked ! These creeps should face a flame thrower squad !  >:(

I often found the first cig was enjoyable .. but from there, it was diminishing returns. Additionally, what with those yellow stale pork smelling fingers, the lost sense of taste and smell, increased incidence of colds and flus, sore throats, coughing. ... Well, as Whistledog said, it is kind of insane to be subjecting your lungs to a load of smoke. Do you reckon your car functions better with a dirty air filter?  That's a lot easier to change though, then your lungs.  :-X

Yeah ... about the only vices I've got these days is drinking, wanking, and too much sleeping. Now if only I was a US citizen ... I'd be a fine potential President !  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/07 at 5:39 pm

Re the cigs ... I got pleurisy as an 18 year old ... after smoking pipes, cigars, 20 a day (cigs). Every time I coughed or sneezed, the VIOLENT pains I felt ... thought I was gonna die (really !). Gave up the cigs after that, swapping them for the dope a year or 2 later in the good ol US of A .... yes you yanks managed to corrupt me (a sweet innocent young guy fresh from the UK. Thanks !  >:(  ;)   ;D

Wow!  That's some heavy smoking, Mister!  Sometimes an early warning like that is a blessing in disguise. 

My grandmother almost died of heart problems in her fifties because of smoking, so she was forced to quit.  Mind you, she kept chugging vodka until her liver quit at 87!

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/08/07 at 6:01 pm

Wow!  That's some heavy smoking, Mister!  Sometimes an early warning like that is a blessing in disguise. 

My grandmother almost died of heart problems in her fifties because of smoking, so she was forced to quit.  Mind you, she kept chugging vodka until her liver quit at 87!

She lived to 87 ? The alcohol kept her well 'pickled'.  :P  :D

Yes, there's a lot to be said for giving up smoking. Better health, money saved, your food tastes better ... and you can smell FRESH air ! Fresh air ... well in the city you get to appreciate all those lovely traffic fumes the way 'nature' (uhm) intended  :-\\

On second thoughts  >:(  ... hey you guys,  >:(  ... don't 'Bogart that joint' !    >:(  Move it on down the line ! I need to get my eyes spinning .... thus !  ->  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/07 at 6:23 pm

She lived to 87 ? The alcohol kept her well 'pickled'.  :P  :D

That's exactly what we used to say!  There's a stereotype about Irish drunks.  Unfortunately that side of the family fit the stereotype.  My grandmother had four brothers, three of them died before I was even born, all alcohol-related.  They died of drink.  Grandma was just a tough old bird.  If she quit drinking when she quit smoking, she probably have lived to be 105. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/12/07 at 3:57 am

For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents:

Cigarettes: Yes, they can be addicting, and yes, they are harmful. Why? The additives, not the tobacco itself! Tar is a highly toxic and noxious substance! Tobacco by itself is far less harmful.

The Native Americans who lived when we hit Plymouth Rock chewed and smoked the natural tobacco leaves and would sometimes use them in their sweating communals. Some shamans would burn tobacco leaves when they would "commune with the Great Spirit". I doubt they would've done the same if Miles Standish would've plopped down a leaf with a black glob of doo-doo-ish looking shtuff on it!
-Plus: Cigarettes are not yet illegal, by the federal standards.

Marijuana: At one point, cannabis was thought to have medicinal uses. Mainly used as a painkiller, I believe.
However, it was discovered that it was far too easy to overdose on, which contributed to some forms of hallucinations, as well as having the exact opposite effect on about 50% of the patients it was tried on.
That is why marijuana was Federally illegalized during the Korean War, in the U.S.

-Now, we have some states that are telling the Federal Government "besame coulo", and saying that it's OK to use again, if you qualify medically.

As vociferous as I am about "Big Brother", and how I question their tactics, I kinda have to side with them on this one.
Besides, I have had my own experience with marijuana, concerning pain:

As some of you know, I was born with arguably the worst case of bilateral talipes (clubfoot) in the U.S. In fact, I was ranked in the Top 2% incurable in the world. I have had 25 surgeries or so in my life, and I have dealt with pain on a constant basis every day. I tried marijuana for the pain.
-Not only did it not take the pain away, but it actually tripled the amount of pain I was in, to the point where I couldn't even move. It also gave me a migraine that almost sent me into the Hospital.
(And the leaf used was high-quality.)

Therefore, I personally feel that if we were to look into other homeopathic remedies, perhaps like what is used in Asia and the far East, we could find suitable alternatives.

Written By: Davester on 12/12/07 at 6:09 am

I pretty much agree. The same thing pretty much happened in the Prohibition era when alcohol was banned...

Drug prohibition is unconstitutional, as the entire nation knew when the Temperance Nannies wanted to outlaw alcohol.  They had to get a constitutional amendment enacted, which took several years.  Thirteen years later when the effects on society of government regulation were proven to be worse than the effects of alcohol consumption, the people rose up and repealed the amendment, with teetotaling Mormon Utah casting the deciding vote.  The government still does not have the constitutional power to regulate the behavior of consenting adults, yet Congress passes legislation of this type (WOD) with increasing frequency, the President signs it, and the Supreme Court upholds it...

But Mary Jane or ciggies worse..?  Ciggies, I s'pose...

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/12/07 at 6:46 am

I've just had a peek .. and discovered the originator of this thread  ... 'Mercat' ... was last active ...  May 31, 2005, 06:38:39 AM

So, we won't be able to get her feedback .. as to why 'Pot' is an option ... but cigarettes aren't  ??? ??? ???  Odd, indeed, given that the overwhelming slant seems to be in favor of condemning cigs as worse (looking at the responses here). I'd be picking cigs too ... although there does seem to be research around to suggest pot isn't as benign as we once thought ............. and it certainly seems to be a fair bit stronger these days

For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents:

I have had my own experience with marijuana, concerning pain:

As some of you know, I was born with arguably the worst case of bilateral talipes (clubfoot) in the U.S. In fact, I was ranked in the Top 2% incurable in the world. I have had 25 surgeries or so in my life, and I have dealt with pain on a constant basis every day. I tried marijuana for the pain.
-Not only did it not take the pain away, but it actually tripled the amount of pain I was in, to the point where I couldn't even move. It also gave me a migraine that almost sent me into the Hospital.
(And the leaf used was high-quality.)

Hey ... Sorry to read about the intense pain you've been through Wayne. What a bummer you've been dealt. Still, I guess you have a beautiful wife as some compensation ....

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/12/07 at 10:59 pm

Cigarettes.

I had no trouble at all quitting smoking weed.

Having said that, I hate it when people are inconsistent on this issue.

The right-wingers want to keep marijuana illegal but are constantly sucking up to Big Tobacco.

The left-wingers (in particular, those wackos who run California) want to legalize medicinal marijuana (which, to be honest, is just a step towards full decriminalization), yet they also want to ban smoking in all public places (and, if they had their way, would outlaw tobacco outright).

Don't tell me it's OK for me to smoke one thing but not the other.  >:(

Written By: Macphisto on 12/12/07 at 11:53 pm

Marijuana: At one point, cannabis was thought to have medicinal uses. Mainly used as a painkiller, I believe.

It is currently used as a painkiller for glaucoma patients in certain countries.

However, it was discovered that it was far too easy to overdose on, which contributed to some forms of hallucinations, as well as having the exact opposite effect on about 50% of the patients it was tried on.
That is why marijuana was Federally illegalized during the Korean War, in the U.S.

The history of why marijuana was made illegal is actually a lot more dark than that.  Much of the initial reasoning for making it illegal was both economic and racial.  Here are a few tidbits of the history....

In 1910, recreational marijuana use was introduced to the United States when large numbers of Mexicans immigrated due to the Mexican Revolution. Anti-drug campaigners claimed that terrible crimes were a result of Mexicans who used marijuana. In the 1930s, during the Great Depression, research linked the use of marijuana with violence and crime primarily committed by minorities. Growing unemployment increased resentment and fear of Mexicans contributed to the restrictions for marijuana.

Harry J. Anslinger, the nation's first Drug Czar, publicly spoke about marijuana's effects; for example, Anslinger claimed, "s' satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others"

The use of cannabis and other drugs came under increasing scrutiny after the formation of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN) in 1930, headed by Harry J. Anslinger. As part of the government's broader push to outlaw all drugs, Anslinger claimed marijuana caused people to commit violent crime, act irrational, and act overly sexual. The FBN produced propaganda films promoting Anslinger's views and Anslinger often commented to the press regarding his views on marijuana. 1944, the LaGuardia Commission conducted the first in-depth study of marijuana, which contradicted the earlier findings of addiction, madness, and overt sexuality.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_marijuana_in_the_United_States

Basically, racism and fearmongering are the bulk of the reasons why pot was made illegal, but economics are involved too...

The decision of the United States Congress to pass the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act was based on hearings, reports and in part on testimony derived from articles in newspapers owned by William Randolph Hearst, who had significant financial interests in the timber industry, which manufactured his newsprint.

Marijuana activtist Jack Herer has researched DuPont and in his 1985 book The Emperor Wears No Clothes, Herer concluded Dupont played a large role in the criminalization of cannabis. In 1938, DuPont patented the processes for creating plastics from coal and oil and a new process for creating paper from wood pulp. If hemp would have been largely exploited, Herer believes it would have likely been used to make paper and plastic, and may have hurt DuPont’s profits. Andrew Mellon of the Mellon Bank was DuPont's chief financial backer and was also the Secretary of Treasury under the Hoover administration. Mellon appointed Harry J. Anslinger, who later became his nephew-in-law, as the head of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (FBNDD) and the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN), where Mellon stayed until 1962.

In 1916, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) chief scientists Jason L. Merrill, Lyster H. Dewe, and Jason L. Merrill created paper made from hemp pulp, which they concluded was "favorable in comparison with those used with pulp wood in USDA Bulletin No. 404." Jack Herer, in the book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" summarized the findings of Bulletin No. 404:

USDA Bulletin No. 404, reported that one acre of hemp, in annual rotation over a 20-year period, would produce as much pulp for paper as 4.1 acres of trees being cut down over the same 20-year period. This process would use only 1/4 to 1/7 as much polluting sulfur-based acid chemicals to break down the glue-like lignin that binds the fibers of the pulp, or even none at all using soda ash. The problem of dioxin contamination of rivers is avoided in the hemp paper making process, which does not need to use chlorine bleach (as the wood pulp paper making process requires) but instead safely substitutes hydrogen peroxide in the bleaching process. ... If the new (1916) hemp pulp paper process were legal today, it would soon replace about 70% of all wood pulp paper, including computer printout paper, corrugated boxes and paper bags.
Hemp was a relatively easy target because factories already had made large investments in equipment to handle cotton, wool, and linen, but there were relatively small investments in hemp production. Another reason is the big technological improvements in the wood pulp industry. There is a niche market for hemp paper, but the cost of hemp pulp is approximately six times that of wood pulp, There was also a misconception hemp had an intoxicating effect because it has the same active substance, THC, which is in potent marijuana strains; however, hemp only has minimal amount of THC when compared to recreational marijuana strains.

An alternative explanation for Anslingers opinion's about hemp is that he believed that a tax on marijuana could be easier to supervise if it included hemp and that he had reports from experiments with mechanical harvesting of hemp in 1936 reporting that the machines was no success,

"they were able to cut only a part of the Tribune Farm crop by machine, two thirds of it they did by hand with a sharp hand cuttertuff".

Again, the source is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_marijuana_in_the_United_States

Written By: Step-chan on 12/13/07 at 3:33 pm

^ Although I never read that, it doesn't surprise that those are the reasons... Especially the economic reasons.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/07 at 4:07 pm

It's impossible to "overdose" on marijuana, believe you me! 

Seriously, you cannot "overdose" on pot in the sense you can "overdose" on heroin or cocaine.  It does not cause organ failure or death.  The worst that can happen if you smoke too much at once is a terrifying panic attack, which is a uniquely horrible sensation.  There's nothing quite like a major panic attack.  I quit smoking pot altogether for twelve years because of this.  If you have psychiatric issues of any kind, it's better to stay away from marijuana.  Furthermore, if you have difficulty getting motivated or organized, stay off the grass!
8)

I agree with AL-B about ciggies.  I don't smoke cigarettes and I never have.  However, I don't make it my business to criticize others for smoking.  Smoking is very bad for you.  Every smoker knows this already unless he's a total idiot.  I consume products I know are bad for me, such as refined sugars, saturated fats, and hydrogenated oils, and I don't like nosey people giving me unsolicited advice; therefore, it's only fair that I leave cigarette smokers alone.

Written By: purplehaze on 04/23/08 at 1:00 am

this poll on the top is funny how it only gives u the choices don't know, pot, or both. where the hell is one thats just cigs????????? anyways if u get nonlaced weed i would said no fudgein doubt its better then cigs becuase there isn't radioactive chemicals added in the sheesh. yes maybe more tar in marijuana but ill take that any day over radioactive sheesh. and whoever had the hemp comments there is one thing wrong with using it to make paper and all that, nd its the fact u can't tell which seeds are goin to be male or female, yes u can feminize seeds nd always get a female plant but i haven't heard of anyone being able to do the same for the male hemp. also aside from hemp being great for paper/plastics its also the strongest natural plant for rope. so why don't we use hemp for all this good sheesh well probably the same reason we dont use the electric car for all of its good sheesh, because the government and all these other wealthy fudgeers(companies) only care about makin money for themselves and nothin of the earth nd all the trees that take 10+ years to grow that we use to make paper with when a marijuana plant takes 3 months and can be done sooner usin hydro/aeroponics grow styles. but anyways how many chemicals are u really inhaling from smoking weed besides thc, some cannabinoids, and off course some carbondioxide, which cigs give too plus nicotine nd these fudgeed up chemicals they add in some for god only knows y, nd nicotine which they add more of in it is already naturally produced in tobacco so shouldn't that be enough fudge

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/23/08 at 11:11 am

I'm very questionable about it.

Marijuana makes you feel more relaxed, whereas tobacco could stress you.

But...we all die someday!

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 11:12 am

But...we all die someday!
not me. i feel bad for all YOU guys, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/08 at 3:39 pm

I'm very questionable about it.

Marijuana makes you feel more relaxed, whereas tobacco could stress you.

Depends on the person.  Pot gives some people serious anxiety attacks while millions of people stand out in the cold and rain every day because they're too stressed to get through the workday without five butt breaks.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/24/08 at 10:26 am

In my opinion and experiance cigs are a stimulant.  Pot relaxes me and also makes me act a little weird.  I also find that I become sick when I smoke cigs, not with pot.  I have a tendency to stay away from both.

Written By: Marian on 04/27/08 at 4:27 pm

if you have alzheimer's disease and fall asleep while smoking either will kill you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/08 at 10:25 am

if you have alzheimer's disease and fall asleep while smoking either will kill you.
...or just falling asleep while smoking...

Written By: philbo on 04/28/08 at 3:22 pm

That could actually be an argument against legalization: cigarettes are carefully formulated to keep smouldering and not go out if you stop puffing - nine times out of ten a home-rolled joint will stop burning if you don't keep taking puffs.  So a cigarette is far more likely to set things alight if you forget about it.  If pot were legalized, and the ciggie companies got in on the act, you can guarantee they'd sell ones which did the same thing (after all, you need to buy more for the same effect that way, so they'd make more money).

But that's a very weak anti-legalization argument when compared to the strength of the case for making it legal.

Written By: KKay on 04/28/08 at 7:07 pm

i guess by now you all know i'm anti-pot.  i'm a smoker, but I am not condoning it.  it's bad.  and both are for stupid reasons.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/08 at 3:04 pm

That could actually be an argument against legalization: cigarettes are carefully formulated to keep smouldering and not go out if you stop puffing - nine times out of ten a home-rolled joint will stop burning if you don't keep taking puffs.  So a cigarette is far more likely to set things alight if you forget about it.  If pot were legalized, and the ciggie companies got in on the act, you can guarantee they'd sell ones which did the same thing (after all, you need to buy more for the same effect that way, so they'd make more money).

But that's a very weak anti-legalization argument when compared to the strength of the case for making it legal.

Vermont now has a law that the cig companies have to sell cigs that go out if you stop puffing. I find that they went out when they shouldn't have and didn't go out when they should have.  :-\\

FYI: it has been about 7 months now since I have had a cig.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/08 at 6:18 pm

Cat

Congrats Cat!  Keep up the good work!

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/01/08 at 6:23 pm

Cat

8) 8) 8)

http://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/wtg.gif

http://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif

:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/08 at 8:13 am

Vermont now has a law that the cig companies have to sell cigs that go out if you stop puffing. I find that they went out when they shouldn't have and didn't go out when they should have.  :-\\

Cat
Well done!

Written By: ninny on 05/02/08 at 8:45 am

Cat

Allright! Congratulations!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/08 at 1:06 pm

Congrats Cat!  Keep up the good work!

8) 8) 8)

http://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/wtg.gif

http://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif

:)

Well done!

Allright! Congratulations!

Thanks all. I'll be updating my "quit" thread in a few days.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 05/06/08 at 7:43 am

At the risk of adding excessively to the congratulations... well done, Cat & keep it up :)

Vermont have legislated that cigarettes sold there have to go out if not puffed?  That must cause some headaches for the manufacturers, who'll have to come up with a different formulation for one state only (I can't see them changing things for all ciggies, somehow)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/08 at 4:30 pm

At the risk of adding excessively to the congratulations... well done, Cat & keep it up :)

Thanks. I couldn't have done it alone. Carlos has also quit cigs, too (but still smokes a pipe  :-\\ ).

Cat

Written By: Digester on 06/14/08 at 5:59 am

I read every comment in this thread. I must say I felt compelled to volley a comment. I know what Cigarettes does to the lungs. It creates this itch which could be interpreated as "craving". It is like mind over matter thing. I am feeling a craving to smoke to satisify this itch in my lungs. I know I won't get the buzz like Weed does. I am feeling like i need to itch the lungs like a back stratcher. Cigarettes will weaken my running abilities but, it might have some positive effect that is probably trival. I hate this feeling of itch, because, it is addiction to nicotine. Shortness of breath comes from cigarettes, not these juicy weeds. I would have to agree with that person who said cigarette is the greater evil than, weed.  I am still feeling the itch from previous smoking experiences. I better concentrate on letting that itch fade but, it would be like mediating, i suppose. I can see why people smoke a pack a day, to satisfy this meaningless itch that's physical in the lungs. Filling your lungs with smoke soothes the lungs in the wrong way and, way the tabacco companies want. "They" want me to destroy my lungs from my own nicotine glutting. Yes, I must say I am tempted by no fault of my own to soothe myself. Weed is definitely more cleaner and, provides a buzz like winning an award from a cereal box. There people who can handle the smoke and, compress them into diamonds. Smoky color Diamonds. Sorry, the diamond referance didn't make much sense, i guess it is a way to be melodramatic. Smoking cigarettes is a sore, but it can help you with chores. However, the last thing you want to be is dependant on these nicotine madness. It feels like i am doing a paint job in my throat and, in my lungs. Getting addicted to cigarettes is a major bummer. I am trying to sweat the budding addiction away. It is hard task.  ;).  I really wish that i had all the drugs i needed and, there is no shame in admitting that. It is true that companies felt entitled to fk us up then, we should feel justified to get the drugs we need in whatever amount to, soothe this itch, the craving they had given us like a ice cube on swollen injuries. People become alcoholic and, depend on alcohol to sort of, quench their thirst, while providing a buzz. I would like to think that getting drunk is a major hairy thing, it is just nasty and it is like being on a balance beam. People do drink hard to purposedly fk themselves up. Welcome to the American Torture. Sometimes, you just gotta be pissed off with what your addictions are doing with you. However, I am not really pissed off. Really. I am just feeling upset and, kinda feeling spoiled from these nasty addictions. What i am categorizing is that there are all type of ways to spoil somebody. There is the "Rich Spoil" which we all envy. There are the "Nasty Spoils" which comes from somebody with tougher luck. I mean, what doesn't hurt you makes you harder.  I just hate cigarettes, I swear it would be the last cigarettes pack I would smoke for years to come. The rasta lifestyle which involves weed comes with a true inner peace and jovial nature. It is like cigarettes are residues of the major weed binge I had.  I detest cigarettes, yet, I crave for them. Why? Is that some kind of a beasty nature? If there were no consequences  with smoking cigarettes, if you have a clean bill to fk your lungs up, people will do it more often, smoke more often with a reckless abandon. Although, I would watch warily on how heavy smokers look at people who never had a single smoke in their life. They probably want to snatch organs and, they do that in other countries, India, actually. It is pretty lousy that America aren't legalizing the Weed. I just need to look for herbal bars, I guess. I used to chew tabacco, i guess in a bad way, it multiplies the craving. Well, this nicotine sponge really puzzles me, i mean, if it is nicotine that people are interested in, why aren't they squeezing nicotine juice  out these tabacco leafs and, make a reputed profit out of it. We aren't that mindless, arent we?  Yep. The last pack of Cigarettes, i Swear.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/08 at 5:50 pm

I read every comment in this thread. I must say I felt compelled to volley a comment. I know what Cigarettes does to the lungs. It creates this itch which could be interpreated as "craving". It is like mind over matter thing. I am feeling a craving to smoke to satisify this itch in my lungs. I know I won't get the buzz like Weed does. I am feeling like i need to itch the lungs like a back stratcher. Cigarettes will weaken my running abilities but, it might have some positive effect that is probably trival. I hate this feeling of itch, because, it is addiction to nicotine. Shortness of breath comes from cigarettes, not these juicy weeds. I would have to agree with that person who said cigarette is the greater evil than, weed.  I am still feeling the itch from previous smoking experiences. I better concentrate on letting that itch fade but, it would be like mediating, i suppose. I can see why people smoke a pack a day, to satisfy this meaningless itch that's physical in the lungs. Filling your lungs with smoke soothes the lungs in the wrong way and, way the tabacco companies want. "They" want me to destroy my lungs from my own nicotine glutting. Yes, I must say I am tempted by no fault of my own to soothe myself. Weed is definitely more cleaner and, provides a buzz like winning an award from a cereal box. There people who can handle the smoke and, compress them into diamonds. Smoky color Diamonds. Sorry, the diamond referance didn't make much sense, i guess it is a way to be melodramatic. Smoking cigarettes is a sore, but it can help you with chores. However, the last thing you want to be is dependant on these nicotine madness. It feels like i am doing a paint job in my throat and, in my lungs. Getting addicted to cigarettes is a major bummer. I am trying to sweat the budding addiction away. It is hard task.  ;).  I really wish that i had all the drugs i needed and, there is no shame in admitting that. It is true that companies felt entitled to fk us up then, we should feel justified to get the drugs we need in whatever amount to, soothe this itch, the craving they had given us like a ice cube on swollen injuries. People become alcoholic and, depend on alcohol to sort of, quench their thirst, while providing a buzz. I would like to think that getting drunk is a major hairy thing, it is just nasty and it is like being on a balance beam. People do drink hard to purposedly fk themselves up. Welcome to the American Torture. Sometimes, you just gotta be pissed off with what your addictions are doing with you. However, I am not really pissed off. Really. I am just feeling upset and, kinda feeling spoiled from these nasty addictions. What i am categorizing is that there are all type of ways to spoil somebody. There is the "Rich Spoil" which we all envy. There are the "Nasty Spoils" which comes from somebody with tougher luck. I mean, what doesn't hurt you makes you harder.  I just hate cigarettes, I swear it would be the last cigarettes pack I would smoke for years to come. The rasta lifestyle which involves weed comes with a true inner peace and jovial nature. It is like cigarettes are residues of the major weed binge I had.  I detest cigarettes, yet, I crave for them. Why? Is that some kind of a beasty nature? If there were no consequences  with smoking cigarettes, if you have a clean bill to fk your lungs up, people will do it more often, smoke more often with a reckless abandon. Although, I would watch warily on how heavy smokers look at people who never had a single smoke in their life. They probably want to snatch organs and, they do that in other countries, India, actually. It is pretty lousy that America aren't legalizing the Weed. I just need to look for herbal bars, I guess. I used to chew tabacco, i guess in a bad way, it multiplies the craving. Well, this nicotine sponge really puzzles me, i mean, if it is nicotine that people are interested in, why aren't they squeezing nicotine juice  out these tabacco leafs and, make a reputed profit out of it. We aren't that mindless, arent we?  Yep. The last pack of Cigarettes, i Swear.

I hear ya. I quit almost 9 months ago and I am still craving. PM me if you want some advice.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 06/14/08 at 10:48 pm

I have to say it is Marijuanna.

My son smokes, and I smoke.  He smokes pot and has for years, I have not touched it since 1981.

He has been in and out of jail for 5 years now.  Every charge has been related to his drug use, either possession, or theft to pay for drugs.

My cigarettes have never led me to break the law.  I have never had a craving so bad that I was willing to commit a crime to get another smoke.  But he has broken the law many times to get money for his drugs (he just was not always caught doing them).

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/15/08 at 10:03 am

Cigarettes cigarettes cigarettes
Pass me a joint anytime

I just quit smoking cigs 12 days ago. It is addicting... no doubt about it. Kicking it has been one of the hardest things I've  ever done. I crave it all the time. Well at first I did, its not so bad anymore
I smoked weed for a lot of years and never had the craving  obsessive thoughts, or side effects I do from cigarettes.
Most info about pot is propaganda don't believe it. Is your son only being busted for pot or are other drugs involved too?
I have craved cigs so badly when I was smoking that I had considered stealing them.
Yes I know we are told it is a gateway drug to harder things, perhaps it is and maybe it depends on the person. I have smoked weed for about 37 yrs. When I was a kid I tried LSD, and Quaalude's. But I grew and don't regret having those experiences. I also shared my wilder days with my children and guess what? None of them use drugs and they are 25,23,and 17. One does smoke cigarettes though the youngest.

I also think it is a disgrace that insurance companies will not pay to help people quit smoking, but would rather pay for  canacer treatments COPD and so forth.

I think cigarettes should be made illegal and pot made legal. I also think it is a disgrace that insurance companies will not pay to help people quit smoking, but would rather pay for  canacer treatments COPD and so forth. At least pot has some medical use.
All cigs do is make tobacco companies richer, oh and kill people. My beautiful, wonderful Mother died in my arms  from COPD in Jan :\'(, and she never smoked a day in her life, but was surrounded by smokers. Me included

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/08 at 10:48 pm

He has been in and out of jail for 5 years now.  Every charge has been related to his drug use, either possession,

Then may I humbly suggest that the root cause of the problem isn't the drug, but the banning of the drug.

Pound for pound, smoldering nicotine and smoldering cannabis leaves are going to do about the same amount of damage to one's lungs.  But even the most hardened THC user's going to fall asleep long before he even comes close to smoking a pack-a-day habit of a nicotine user. 

I've got no dog in this fight.  I don't use THC or nicotine.  My drugs of choice are caffeine and alcohol.  I dress it up by being picky about where my beans come from, and the duration of the roast; about where the hops came from, and wanting lots of them in my beer; about where my grapes came from.  But it's the same stupid cycle as cocaine/heroin junkies -- stimulants in the morning for a productive day at work, and depressants in the evening to unwind from the stimulants.  The only reason I'm not in jail for it is because my drugs of choice happen to be legal. 

or theft to pay for drugs.

And the only reason I'm not in jail for that is because legality ensures that (because they're legal) my drugs of choice are also dirt cheap.

I happen to prefer ales to lagers, which are relatively easy for even the first-time homebrewer to make at home.  I can't beat the quality of our local craft brewers (who charge a whopping $5 for a 22-oz bottle, which lasts me an entire evening), but I can make a drinkable ale for less than the price of the cheapest Bud Lite.  That's cheaper than bottled water.

The reason I don't make my own other intoxicants is because it's bloody hard to make good whisky and wine, and because I live thousands of miles away from where coffee grows.

But if anyone could grow pot without fear of legal repercussions, who would frequent the dealer?  It's easier to grow pot than it is to make beer.  It's called weed for a reason.

I have never had a craving so bad that I was willing to commit a crime to get another smoke.

Are you sure?

During Prohibition, plenty of responsible adults frequented the speakeasies, even though they wouldn't be caught dead with a bottle in the house.  They weren't addicts (alcoholics), but by the laws of their day, they were criminals.  When smoking is outlawed, only outlaws will smoke.

And as for adulterants and other addictive substances (something you didn't address in this post, but which you correctly pointed out in another post) being laced into one's drug of choice by the friendly neighborhood dirtbag dealer?  Well, since the disposable cup costs more than the coffee in it, adding even legalized cocaine to it (you know, like Coca-(hint-hint)-Cola used to do) would still probably lower my local coffee shop's (or soda bottler's) margins, so I'm not exactly worried.  And as an alcohol user, I've never had to worry about deadly methanol in my whisky because my whisky is legal.  That means it doesn't come out of a still in the backwoods and wan't sold by shady guys out of the back of a pickup truck who might bottle the first drops from the still to make a few extra bucks per barrel.  Likewise with my wine -- the worst I've had to worry about is the fungus in the cork that occasionally makes a bottle of wine smell (and taste) like gym socks.  And as for beer, again, because it's legal, the worst any beer drinker will ever have to worry about is whether it's gone skunky. 

The only people who benefit from Prohibition were the Mob and the Government.  Unfortunately, we, the people appear to have learned the lesson all too poorly during Prohibition, but the Government appears to have remembered it all too well.  We keep asking the Government to stop repeating the mistakes of the past, and the Government, ever aware of opportunities to grow its power over its subjects, says "What mistake?  Sorry about you guys, but it's working just fine for us."

Please - and I mean this with empathy towards your family situation - whether a chemical happens to be legal or illegal, please stop confusing the effects of a chemical with the effects of a government's attempts to regulate the use of that chemical.  They're not the same thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/08 at 12:57 am

I always propose:

It's 2:00 a.m., there three guys walking up the alley towards you.  Do you want them drunk or do you want them to be stoned?

I always found in the city (pick your city) the sorry old drunkies made the most trouble.  Sure, you could get rolled for crack money, but I tended to stay out of those zones.  It was always the drunks who would stand there on the sidewalk and howl at you: "Hey, hey, f*0kface! DOOn' walk 'way foh me!"
8-P

Stoners don't do that.  Junkies don't do that.  DRUNKS do that!!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/drinka.gif

Written By: saver on 06/16/08 at 3:12 am

I don't think it is justice to ask 'or' as if you are making a choice, as mentioned we call one legal to use , the other illegal.so how can you move along with an option of doing something 'illegal'?

..you make a choice to smoke butts, you are harming mostly yourself(aside from second hand smoke they talk about), with 'buds' depending what you are doing on it, if you are driving and slowing up traffic, then you are slowing up MY schedule and that's rude and unacceptable because you can't find a better way to get a natural high.

There are no ingredients in cigarettes that are good for you..just read the label..so why would one start on them? But if you're already addicted, you find your inner way to help yourself stop.

Marijuana, what is the reason for it, to relax...nothing relaxing if you have to hide or be on the lookout of being busted..
I can run a red light or wait, if I get a rush running it, I risk many things and others besides. Your level of getting caught for weed is a risk too, even if danger isn't involved.

As they say, some like to choose their own poison..I don't choose poison at all. 

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/16/08 at 11:19 am

I don't think it is justice to ask 'or' as if you are making a choice, as mentioned we call one legal to use , the other illegal.so how can you move along with an option of doing something 'illegal'?

..you make a choice to smoke butts, you are harming mostly yourself(aside from second hand smoke they talk about), with 'buds' depending what you are doing on it, if you are driving and slowing up traffic, then you are slowing up MY schedule and that's rude and unacceptable because you can't find a better way to get a natural high.

There are no ingredients in cigarettes that are good for you..just read the label..so why would one start on them? But if you're already addicted, you find your inner way to help yourself stop.

Marijuana, what is the reason for it, to relax...nothing relaxing if you have to hide or be on the lookout of being busted..
I can run a red light or wait, if I get a rush running it, I risk many things and others besides. Your level of getting caught for weed is a risk too, even if danger isn't involved.

As they say, some like to choose their own poison..I don't choose poison at all. 

How can we be more like you,almighty one?

Written By: Tia on 06/16/08 at 11:26 am

http://www.jibjab.com/view/222844

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/16/08 at 8:18 pm

Funny, very funny ;D

Written By: saver on 06/16/08 at 9:43 pm

How can we be more like you,almighty one?

How? With NY(Howard Stern Father philosophy)....don't be stupid!

I've lived,seen the things addictions can do to people at an early age and BELIEVED them...I don't have to shoot someone to know what murder is like, I don't have to 'try' a hit to se what it does to me...thanks to all the little 'guinnea pigs' doing the experimenting out there for me......

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/17/08 at 10:29 am

How? With NY(Howard Stern Father philosophy)....don't be stupid!

I've lived,seen the things addictions can do to people at an early age and BELIEVED them...I don't have to shoot someone to know what murder is like, I don't have to 'try' a hit to se what it does to me...thanks to all the little 'guinnea pigs' doing the experimenting out there for me......

So you never did anything wrong in your life,huh? Now that sounds a little stupid...

Written By: saver on 06/17/08 at 2:58 pm

So you never did anything wrong in your life,huh? Now that sounds a little stupid...

Wrong..is driving off a cliff on a bike(playing daredevil), wrong?
A roommate who thinks it's cute waking up at 5am and crowing like a rooster quite loud, THAT is wrong BUT it is not illegal.

I learned from that drive and it messed my body up temporarily..got my brains together to know I will never do that again and let's see..wrong, whatever it may have been, if it's agianst society, you pay the price and move on.. With the rommante, you tell them (control yourself)-don't do that or you're movin out-....

however,if you want to live 'high as a kite'-as some do- their work performance may lack or if not, they still have to sneak to get whatever it is to get them off...I prefer not to be a lifelong 'sneak', wouldn't want anyone working for me who has a tendency to feel it is ok ..am I looking for a saint..probably someone just responsible..

Even something as little(?) as taking something of someones' from the office fridge....that's wrong, someone thinks they want to take a chance...they pay the consequence..you can't get put away for doing it, but MJ you can or get some record for it...what's so hard about doing what's right? THAT is the question. 

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/17/08 at 4:14 pm

Wrong..is driving off a cliff on a bike(playing daredevil), wrong?
A roommate who thinks it's cute waking up at 5am and crowing like a rooster quite loud, THAT is wrong BUT it is not illegal.

I learned from that drive and it messed my body up temporarily..got my brains together to know I will never do that again and let's see..wrong, whatever it may have been, if it's agianst society, you pay the price and move on.. With the rommante, you tell them (control yourself)-don't do that or you're movin out-....

however,if you want to live 'high as a kite'-as some do- their work performance may lack or if not, they still have to sneak to get whatever it is to get them off...I prefer not to be a lifelong 'sneak', wouldn't want anyone working for me who has a tendency to feel it is ok ..am I looking for a saint..probably someone just responsible..

Even something as little(?) as taking something of someones' from the office fridge....that's wrong, someone thinks they want to take a chance...they pay the consequence..you can't get put away for doing it, but MJ you can or get some record for it...what's so hard about doing what's right? THAT is the question. 

We as human beings are full of quirks and that is what makes us great. If laws exist is because there's a need to keep us in check also because is in our nature to misbehave sometimes. Sainthood goes agaisnt being human,we need to do mistakes in our lives is how we learn from it that makes us do the right thing.

I'm not saying we need to break the law to live but we surely need to live life to the fullest. Now if you never had the need to experiment with drugs then that's admirable but the ones who did even if they did broke the law by doing it shouldn't be branded as drug addicts or a lifelong sneaks.
If i was a boss i would have no problem hiring someone who smoked pot in his free time as long as he was responsible at the workplace and did a good job. In my opinion being responsible is knowing how to act depending on where you are.

Written By: philbo on 06/17/08 at 6:19 pm

Then may I humbly suggest that the root cause of the problem isn't the drug, but the banning of the drug.

Certainly the banning of cannabis has caused problems in a different scale compared to the use of the drug.  I find it remarkable that politicians seem unable to see that the social problems caused by prohibition are way worse than the effects of the drug (and looking at history, the same is probably true of the opiates and maybe even cocaine)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/18/08 at 8:42 am

I am sorry, and I do not intend offense.

But that is the stupidest argument I have ever heard used for legalizing drugs.

In that case, why not legalize rape?  Murder?  Theft?

After all, it is only the fact that it is illegal that makes them crimes.  Go ahead and legalize Meth, Crack, Heroin, and everything else.  It is only the banning that makes them illegal.

No, the problem is that my son is a drug addict.  Plain and simple, cut and dry.  Thankfully he no longer uses crack or meth, but our biggest fear is that he will return to those drugs again.

And that because of some people, he feels that marijuanna is not a drug.  It is natural, it is safe, it is from the earth.  It is insine gibberish like that that frankly pisses me the hell off.

And remember, Tobacco is an herb also, it is from the Earth.  And anybody that thinks that Tobacco smoke is some kind of murderous evil while pot smoke is 100% safe and natural should have their heads examined.  Like so many things I hear from  the "Pro Drug" movement (and anit-smoking movement), it is simply insane and makes no sense if looked at with a critical eye.

I admit I am addicted to smoking.  Yet you have people that smoke up every day or every other day, yet they are not addicted.  Reminds me of the guy that only got plastered on beer and beat his wife on weekends.  Oh, he was not and could not be an alcoholic, because he only drank on weekends.

*shakes his head and wanders away*

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/18/08 at 8:48 am

We as human beings are full of quirks and that is what makes us great. If laws exist is because there's a need to keep us in check also because is in our nature to misbehave sometimes. Sainthood goes agaisnt being human,we need to do mistakes in our lives is how we learn from it that makes us do the right thing.

I'm not saying we need to break the law to live but we surely need to live life to the fullest. Now if you never had the need to experiment with drugs then that's admirable but the ones who did even if they did broke the law by doing it shouldn't be branded as drug addicts or a lifelong sneaks.
If i was a boss i would have no problem hiring someone who smoked pot in his free time as long as he was responsible at the workplace and did a good job. In my opinion being responsible is knowing how to act depending on where you are.

I whole heartedly agree. Some laws are also just to make others rich also. Otherwise tobacco would be iilegal (as an example).
Hey Government >:(
Don't try to control my body with laws...

Written By: Tia on 06/18/08 at 8:50 am

I am sorry, and I do not intend offense.

But that is the stupidest argument I have ever heard used for legalizing drugs.

After all, it is only the fact that it is illegal that makes them crimes.  Go ahead and legalize Meth, Crack, Heroin, and everything else.  It is only the banning that makes them illegal.

No, the problem is that my son is a drug addict.  Plain and simple, cut and dry.  Thankfully he no longer uses crack or meth, but our biggest fear is that he will return to those drugs again.

And that because of some people, he feels that marijuanna is not a drug.  It is natural, it is safe, it is from the earth.  It is insine gibberish like that that frankly pisses me the hell off.

And remember, Tobacco is an herb also, it is from the Earth.  And anybody that thinks that Tobacco smoke is some kind of murderous evil while pot smoke is 100% safe and natural should have their heads examined.  Like so many things I hear from  the "Pro Drug" movement (and anit-smoking movement), it is simply insane and makes no sense if looked at with a critical eye.

I admit I am addicted to smoking.  Yet you have people that smoke up every day or every other day, yet they are not addicted.  Reminds me of the guy that only got plastered on beer and beat his wife on weekends.  Oh, he was not and could not be an alcoholic, because he only drank on weekends.

*shakes his head and wanders away*
well, the obvious difference, mr. headshake, is that rape, murder, etc., are crimes with VICTIMS, whereas people who smoke pot are only hurting themselves, if that. i have yet to understand why it's the government's business whether i smoke a plant that grows out of the ground.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/18/08 at 9:13 am

well, the obvious difference, mr. headshake, is that rape, murder, etc., are crimes with VICTIMS, whereas people who smoke pot are only hurting themselves, if that. i have yet to understand why it's the government's business whether i smoke a plant that grows out of the ground.

And so is theft.  Which a lot of drug addicts use to feed their addiction.

And I can continue that argument.  If it is a logical argument to use that for pot, then it is logical to expand it to anything else.  Meth, Crack, Cocaine, Heroin, LSD, and every drug ever used.

And I can use the same argument for Tobacco.  Except that is not the same, because it does not make you high.

Oh, and if you think pot smokers only hurt themselves, look at the crime that goes along with it.  As I said before, how many drug dealers only sell pot?  Damned few if any.  Because they sell drugs, anything that will get you high and make you money.

And tell the people harmed by marijuanna that they are not victims.  Is funny how many people seem to look at pot through rose colored glasses.

Written By: Tia on 06/18/08 at 9:19 am

And I can continue that argument.  If it is a logical argument to use that for pot, then it is logical to expand it to anything else.  Meth, Crack, Cocaine, Heroin, LSD, and every drug ever used.

And I can use the same argument for Tobacco.  Except that is not the same, because it does not make you high.

Oh, and if you think pot smokers only hurt themselves, look at the crime that goes along with it.  As I said before, how many drug dealers only sell pot?  Damned few if any.  Because they sell drugs, anything that will get you high and make you money.

And tell the people harmed by marijuanna that they are not victims.  Is funny how many people seem to look at pot through rose colored glasses.
i've smoked pot for years. i've never committed a crime to get pot, other than getting pot.

if someone commits a crime for drugs, the crime they commit is THE CRIME THEY COMMIT, not that they committed it to get drugs. a lot of people commit crimes to get food, so maybe we should outlaw eating?  ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/18/08 at 9:47 am

Cut the crap everyone ::)
Painkillers,meth,weed,cocaine,heroin,prozac,tobacco,alcohol,food,sex,love...we are always ON something.

Written By: Tia on 06/18/08 at 9:51 am

Cut the crap everyone ::)
Painkillers,meth,weed,cocaine,heroin,prozac,tobacco,alcohol,food,sex,love...we are always ON something.
not saver. he's pure as the driven snow. :P

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/18/08 at 9:57 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/75000/images/_78988_potyoung300.jpg

POL POT

the theft of food is not considered a crime in the Bible/religious terms as it is a way of survival..stealing drugs is an entirely different matter. Therefore if a person has stolen a loaf of bread and some milk because they were starving they should be forgiven and let off.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/18/08 at 12:14 pm

I don't like maraJoanna at all. see cos' i don't smoke I once ate some way back in the 80's..never again

Written By: Tia on 06/18/08 at 12:30 pm

i'm not really that big on it lately either. too much emotional stuff going on.

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/08 at 12:58 pm

All the ones I know.. because most people are smart enough to stay away from the ones that try and sell you anything else.

"I can't smoke a plant that was made by God, but I can kill my wife if I'm a football player!"

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/18/08 at 2:01 pm

nice likkle play on words there..was it intentional  ;D ;D

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cgo0217l.jpg

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/18/08 at 10:31 pm

well, the obvious difference,  is that rape, murder, etc., are crimes with VICTIMS, whereas people who smoke pot are only hurting themselves, if that. i have yet to understand why it's the government's business whether i smoke a plant that grows out of the ground.

I'm TOTALLY with you on this one !    8)    ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 10:48 pm

I still can't vote in your poll because it's totally biased in favor of tobacco!  Furthermore, you did not even state the degree to which "both" are worse, and compared to what?  It's a grammatical impossibility!

Written By: saver on 06/19/08 at 2:57 am

Pure? What am I the 2nd Coming?
Maybe lucky, alert, sensible. When that chief of police came to our high school for 'health' class, and showed us what f'd up people looked like, or 1/2 way there, and what happened to their insides from drugs and abuse, I took my vow to be in the 'don't touch,use, or peddle' drug club.

We ended alcohol prohibition and THAT hasn't hurt anyone huh?
What were they afraid of? Riots if people didn't get their whiskey, money to the underworld if they didn't make it available(that would be easy to see as the bank account swells and Vito has no job..must be running booze?, People have a right to imbibe all they want....well tell that to those who ran over someone,crashed into another,had no idea what they were doing to themselves and maybe jumped off a freeway overpass....

Need I say more from years of tabulating and observations?

So let's make the less effective drugs legal, open jails only for hardened criminals, and form a commune where we can all sleep/get high together..'cause  it's recreational! 8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 9:48 am

Pure? What am I the 2nd Coming?

Uh oh!

Maybe lucky, alert, sensible. When that chief of police came to our high school for 'health' class, and showed us what f'd up people looked like, or 1/2 way there, and what happened to their insides from drugs and abuse, I took my vow to be in the 'don't touch,use, or peddle' drug club.
Joe Friday?
???

We ended alcohol prohibition and THAT hasn't hurt anyone huh?
What were they afraid of? Riots if people didn't get their whiskey, money to the underworld if they didn't make it available(that would be easy to see as the bank account swells and Vito has no job..must be running booze?, People have a right to imbibe all they want....well tell that to those who ran over someone,crashed into another,had no idea what they were doing to themselves and maybe jumped off a freeway overpass....

Alcohol causes far more social destruction than marijuana.  The problem with alcohol prohibition was the same as with pot prohibition today.  It didn't work.  People who wanted a drink found a way to get a drink.  Furthermore, even in prohibition, they didn't prohibit people from consuming alcohol in their own homes.  It was just illegal to transport it and sell it.  You could have a liquor cabinet in your own home and the cops couldn't say boo about it.

So let's make the less effective drugs legal, open jails only for hardened criminals, and form a commune where we can all sleep/get high together..'cause  it's recreational! 8-P

On a lot of those communes, hippies found themselves picking soybeans dawn to dusk without much time for getting baked and loafing around!
:o

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 9:51 am

Oh that sounds like heaven :-*

On a lot of those communes, hippies found themselves picking soybeans dawn to dusk without much time for getting baked and loafing around!
:o

Shut up,Max :P

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 9:52 am

^ ;D

yeah, saver's dystopia sounded pretty good to me too. :D

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 10:47 am

^ ;D

yeah, saver's dystopia sounded pretty good to me too. :D

Let's go to dystopia,babe :)

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 10:57 am

Let's go to dystopia,babe :)
one hedonistic paradise for two, hold the mayo :P i'm totally there!

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 11:16 am

one hedonistic paradise for two, hold the mayo :P i'm totally there!

Wilson will cry.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5018/enspecial001gm8.jpg

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 11:19 am

Wilson will cry.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5018/enspecial001gm8.jpg
... not for long, apparently. skewered!!!!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/19/08 at 12:07 pm

Interesting 20 'don't know'  tuts  ::) ::)

11 reckon 'both' which is what I voted, surely double the crap in one sitting/spliff is just asking for trouble, cigs on their own are a known major health risk but try telling that to smokers and they just suddenly sprout cloth ears!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 5:49 pm

Interesting 20 'don't know'  tuts   ::) ::)

11 reckon 'both' which is what I voted, surely double the crap in one sitting/spliff is just asking for trouble, cigs on their own are a known major health risk but try telling that to smokers and they just suddenly sprout cloth ears!

They used to say it could make men grow breasts...If that were so, I'd be Dolly Parton!
:-X

Oh that sounds like heaven :-*
Shut up,Max :P

You know of what I speak?
???

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/19/08 at 9:08 pm

I won't vote cause its messed up and my choice is not up there. Although I have made my views known. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/19/08 at 9:33 pm

I owe everything I am today to dope ! Don't need another joint for the rest of my life ! Gave it up 4 years back, but it matters not PERMANENTLY stoned  (how ELSE do you think I got to be so 'warped' !  :P    :D    ;D ).

By the way ... I'm pretty sure I managed NOT to run anyone over, get convicted of a crime, etc; etc; (even though I've done enough to sink a battleship !  ;D ).

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/19/08 at 9:38 pm

I owe everything I am today to dope ! Don't need another joint for the rest of my life ! Gave it up 4 years back, but it matters not PERMANENTLY stoned  (how ELSE do you think I got to be so 'warped' !  :P    :D    ;D ).

By the way ... I'm pretty sure I managed NOT to run anyone over, get convicted of a crime, etc; etc; (even though I've done enough to sink a battleship !  ;D ).

I couldn't agree more except it made me look like a battleship ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 10:49 pm

I couldn't agree more except it made me look like a battleship ::)

I was saying on another thread how hippies got into health food, but then they kept smoking a substance that makes appetizing a chocolate chip cookied dough--fluffernutter--Big Mac--KFC--Slush Puppy hot fudge sundae!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/08 at 1:42 am

(No offence taken.  And none intended in what follows.) 

But I think your position is self-contradictory.

I believe the root of your self-contradictory stance lies in the fact that terms like "illegal" or "break the law" or "criminal" don't distinguish between acts that are malum prohibitum versus malum in se

The origins of law are deeply rooted in a chicken-and-egg problem, in that some things are wrong because they're illegal; other things are illegal because they're wrong. 

You don't legalize rape, murder, or theft, because (as others pointed out) those crimes are malum in se.

But you might want to legalize something that's merely malum prohibitum.  Consider that in the 1870s, interracial marriage was illegal because it was (by the standards of the day, in free states and slave states) wrong.  But by the 1970s, interracial marriage was wrong (could get you thrown in jail in some sates) because it was (by the antiquated laws of those states) illegal.

I'm arguing from the point of view that most drug use and posession isn't malum in se (like rape and murder were, and are), but is malum prohibitum (like interracial marriage was).

There's room for legitimate disagreement; the distinction between the two types of laws is blurry, and varies from person to person.  California recently legalized gay marriage because some judges finally acknowledged the feelings of a large number (but still a minority of) their citizens and did away with a bunch of silly old malum prohibitum laws.  In a state like Kentucky, that same case would go different, because of the overwhelming majority of Kentucky's citizens probably believe the whole idea is malum in se

So to pull back further, we delegate a monopoly on force to the government, and we do so under the strictures of the Constitution and the body of laws that pass Constitutional muster.  If X rapes, murders, or steals from Y, then X has inflicted extrajudicial force upon Y.  X has committed a crime. 

If X smokes pot, upon whom, other than himself, has X inflicted force?  (I use the word "force", because it's not the same as "harm".  If X is a friend of mine and he harms himself, he indirectly harms me -- but he does not inflict force on me.  I can ask him not to harm himself, but I cannot force him not to harm himself.  His body is his own, not mine.  And yeah, sometimes that sucks.)

Go ahead and legalize Meth, Crack, Heroin, and everything else.  It is only the banning that makes them illegal.

Personally, I would, but only because I'm willing to accept that X has a right to control his own body.  X has a right to harm himself to the point of killing himself.  His body is not the property of the state, it is not the property of his friends, it isn't even the property of his family, it is his own and his own alone.  I'd vastly prefer that X not do any drugs.  But as long as he's not driving on Y's roads under the influence, or stealing Y's stuff to pay for his fix, I have no right use force to stop him.  (Like I said, sometimes that sucks.  While not as painful as your situation, I've been "Y" to somebody's "X" too.)

And here, we're in complete agreement.  Pseudoscience sucks.  "Natural" doesn't mean safe.  Never mind tobacco, cyanide is natural.  So's uranium.  Cyanide's even an organic compound.  And as it stands, "medicinal marijuana" is quackery.  The quality of the research is poor largely because the drug is illegal, and nobody can do good research -- but science doesn't care why the research is poor, only that it is poor.  So - my opinions on legalization aside, most health claims for pot are not yet backed up by good data.  I'd like to see legalization because it would mean we'd get more data, and we'd answer those questions one way or another.  (And let's get real here -- even if the stuff can have positive health effects, smoking it is probably the least healthy way to ingest the drug.)

I admit I am addicted to smoking. 

Fair enough, but a few posts later you say in regards to other addicts' drugs of choice:

So - at what price - $10/pack?  $100/pack?  $1000/pack? - would you stop smoking, or would you turn to the black market to get a smoke or two now and then?  And if cigarettes cost $1000/pack, would you rob or steal to get the $1000?

Or would you prefer the status quo, in which tobacco is legalized at today's cost of... (lol, as a nonsmoker, I have no idea!) whatever it costs.  (You can laugh at me if the taxes have already pushed the price over $10/pack, but if a cigarette costs a dollar, I can think of plenty of wines where I've paid $0.10/sip, which really isn't too far off from $0.10 for a puff.)

And tell my uncle's survivors after he died of lung cancer from legal tobacco in his 50s.  Tell the survivors of people who died of cirrhosis from legal alcohol.  But are they victims of some third party who should be jailed for selling them the smokes or booze?  If so, of whom? 

As I said before, how many drug dealers only sell pot?  Damned few if any.  Because they sell drugs, anything that will get you high and make you money.

I live in a state in which beer, wine, and whisky are sold in every grocery store, usually one aisle removed from the meat aisle, since all three go well with burgers and steak.

"Goddamn, the grocer man."
  - with apologies to Steppenwolf.

Some of them even sell bacon.  Have you seen what that stuff'll do to your arteries over 50 years?  And if you don't think bacon'll get you high, you ain't stuck your head over a batch of frying bacon lately, have ya?  Bacon's not as deadly as potsmoking, tobaccosmoking, or any form of alcohol ingestion, but I've never seen anyone call it healthy.  Why not prohibit it too? 

If, by your logic, we ought to ban pot due to the harm the drug causes, we must also bring back prohibition of alcohol and tobacco.  Which is why I asked you - in the event of national tobacco prohibition, at what price would you finally stop buying smokes on the black market, and if you couldn't afford it, what other crimes would you commit (beyond "posession of tobacco") to have a smoke? 

It's an interesting thought experiment.  If prohibition were to return, including the risk of charges for posession, at what price would I give up alcohol?  I'd move to a state where posession of alcohol was a misdemeanor, and I'd pay, on the black market, about $50/bottle for beer, $250/bottle for wine, and $1000/bottle for whisky.  A bottle of fine whisky can last me 2-3 years, because its shelf-life is practically infinite; it doesn't age in the bottle, nor change after opening.  There are beers and wines that I'd pay those sums for, but I'd indulge in them only once or twice a year, as the shelf life of low-end beers/wines is 1-2 years at best, and once opened, 2-3 days.  Not coincidentally, those prices are comparable to what I already spend for legal booze on a yearly basis. 

I'd break a "it's wrong because it's illegal" kind of law (malum prohibitum) to have a drink every now and then, and I'd feel no remorse.  I would not, however, steal to get my $1000/year booze budget, because I don't break "it's illegal because it's wrong" laws (malum in se) type of laws.

This isn't a purely theoretical discussion.  Last year, I had someone find their answer "At what price would someone give up foie gras?"  The answer was "At the price of $50 in gas for a road trip to a place in a jurisdiction that wasn't subject to the ban, that cooked it to the same standards as the best spots in Chicago."

For the record, I'm pro-legalization of (in approximate ascending order of harm) coffee, bacon, foie gras, pot, tobacco, alcohol, and psychedelics.  I'd argue for legalization of cocaine and other hard drugs by prescription only, under the guidance of a licensed physician and only for the disease of "addicted to it".  And I know that my policy there would lead to a lot of dead patients, because addiction's still a deadly disease.  I happen to think it would do less harm than our current policy, because it would put my gun-toting dealer on my street corner out of work, and force him to get a job at $5.50/hour packing groceries (including coca-cola in the original formula, although you'd need a prescription to get it) at the corner store.  I don't believe in any of this "medicinal marijuana" quackery.  I'm a consumer of coffee, bacon, foie gras and alcohol.  As good as bacon (every chance I get) and foie gras (once or twice a year) make me feel, those two substances aren't drugs.  The rest are. 

If you're still reading, my apologies in advance for the length of this post.  Blame the beer, and take advantage of the fact that I'm posting on a three-beer handicap tonight!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/20/08 at 9:58 am

I mentioned this a while back but since this thread has been popular lately, I am going to repeat (so people don't have to search 9 pages in this thread). For some reason, there must have been a glitch on the board a while ago. All polls that were created prior to that glitch got messed up-that is why there are two answers of "I don't know". It wasn't originally like that. If you search the entire board and find old polls, you will noticed that they, too are messed up. So, it has nothing to do with MerCat (who started this thread) making the poll a bit bias but it was a technical booboo.

Cat 

Written By: philbo on 06/20/08 at 10:25 am

(No offence taken.  And none intended in what follows.) 

If you're still reading, my apologies in advance for the length of this post.  Blame the beer, and take advantage of the fact that I'm posting on a three-beer handicap tonight!

Now, if that post's not worth a karma click, I don't know what is, especially:

I'd argue for legalization of cocaine and other hard drugs by prescription only, under the guidance of a licensed physician and only for the disease of "addicted to it".  And I know that my policy there would lead to a lot of dead patients, because addiction's still a deadly disease.  I happen to think it would do less harm than our current policy, because it would put my gun-toting dealer on my street corner out of work, and force him to get a job at $5.50/hour packing groceries (including coca-cola in the original formula, although you'd need a prescription to get it) at the corner store.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 12:56 pm

There are plenty of dealers who sell only pot, but they're usually not full-time dealers.  They're people with a good connection.  Their friends say, "Can you pick ME up some of that good sh*t?"  And it goes from there!
8)

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/21/08 at 6:37 pm

I was saying on another thread how hippies got into health food, but then they kept smoking a substance that makes appetizing a chocolate chip cookied dough--fluffernutter--Big Mac--KFC--Slush Puppy hot fudge sundae!

Oh great now I want some junk food but have none in the house. Thank godness. I'll have to just subsitute my diet coke and pretzels.
Oh well better than having a cigarette 18 days smoke free http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/anim-jjd.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/21/08 at 6:41 pm

Oh great now I want some junk food but have none in the house. Thank godness. I'll have to just subsitute my diet coke and pretzels.
Oh well better than having a cigarette 18 days smoke free http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/anim-jjd.gif

Today, I'm not too sure what I am craving more-junk as in donuts, eclairs, chocolate, etc, or a cigarette. I haven't had either in a LONG time-well it seems like a VERY long time.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/21/08 at 6:51 pm

Today, I'm not too sure what I am craving more-junk as in donuts, eclairs, chocolate, etc, or a cigarette. I haven't had either in a LONG time-well it seems like a VERY long time.  :-\\

Cat

Yeah but don't you feel healthier?

Things I Miss
Cigs
Drugs
Drinking
Whats Left? http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bigcry.gif
Oh Yeah Sex :D

Written By: thewolrab on 06/25/08 at 6:25 pm

Cigarettes are far worse, many more carcinogens in them that have been identified whereas marijuana hasn't been linked to any deaths.

By the way I love the biased poll options. So yeah I'm not voting.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 7:40 pm

(No offence taken.  And none intended in what follows.)... 

Karma also.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/08 at 8:57 pm

Cigarettes are far worse, many more carcinogens in them that have been identified whereas marijuana hasn't been linked to any deaths.

By the way I love the biased poll options. So yeah I'm not voting.

Pot is habituating but nicotine is physically addictive.  Unless you're a wake-and-bake stoner, cigarettes are much harder to quit. 

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/25/08 at 11:12 pm

Cigarettes are by far worse!
Weed is non addictive & there has been so much LIES & government decite over the years that as mentioned before no decent research has been done.But public demand continues to tell the tale!
If the DEA could bust every suppier today.By tomorrow they would all be replaced!
Basically if everyone smoked it no one would want to fight in any wars!(A handshake is a lot cheaper than a cruise missle)
Weed is no worse than drinking cept it won't damage the internal organs!
Red eyes vs. the coliflower nose!

You could smoke it every day for years & stop without any ill effects....try that with boose or cigs!????
People will do what they want & no government agencies are going to put a dent in the machine!

God made Weed
Man Made Booze
Who do You Trust!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o 8) 8)

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/28/08 at 11:29 am

Cigarettes are by far worse!
Weed is non addictive & there has been so much LIES & government decite over the years that as mentioned before no decent research has been done.But public demand continues to tell the tale!
If the DEA could bust every suppier today.By tomorrow they would all be replaced!
Basically if everyone smoked it no one would want to fight in any wars!(A handshake is a lot cheaper than a cruise missle)
Weed is no worse than drinking cept it won't damage the internal organs!
Red eyes vs. the coliflower nose!

You could smoke it every day for years & stop without any ill effects....try that with boose or cigs!????
People will do what they want & no government agencies are going to put a dent in the machine!

God made Weed
Man Made Booze
Who do You Trust!

I agree 100%

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/08 at 11:42 am

God made Weed
Man Made Booze
Who do You Trust!

Karma 2U

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/28/08 at 11:45 am

Thanks Max ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/08 at 11:57 am

God made Weed
Man Made Booze
Who do You Trust!
Home Made Bread ?

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/28/08 at 12:02 pm

Home Made Bread ?

Homegrown tomatoes thats for sure  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/08 at 5:37 pm

If I'm gonna fudge up my lungs, dammit I wanna be high!  ;D

Ha ha,

I feel that the smoking vs marijuana thing is missing the point. I am not against smoking/marijuana per se but the idea of trying to make one worse than the other justifies the use for the lesser. Like alchohol and unhealthy food (the first I do socially and the second is my personal vice), they both harm you with prolonged use and potentially cause addiction.

Check for new replies or respond here...