» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: NO SMOKING AT MY PLACE OF WORK!!!

Written By: saver on 01/28/05 at 4:20 pm

Hey, anyone hear how they are trying to not hire people who smoke at certain companies-mainly due to the medical insurance involved. News onWarner Bros. news channel mentioned how they are giving drug tests for nicotine to the workers and lie detector tests to applicants to make sure they are not a smoker in order to be hired!

Wow! No getting around this one! :o 

Subject: Re: NO SMOKING AT MY PLACE OF WORK!!!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/28/05 at 4:30 pm

Hey, anyone hear how they are trying to not hire people who smoke at certain companies-mainly due to the medical insurance involved. News onWarner Bros. news channel mentioned how they are giving drug tests for nicotine to the workers and lie detector tests to applicants to make sure they are not a smoker in order to be hired!

Wow! No getting around this one! :o 

Sounds like discriminatrion to me, as I light up.  As long as tobacco is legal, seems to me that descriminating agains smokers like this is simply that, discrimination.  How can one be punished for doing a legal thing?  Not only am I lighting up, I'm sipping a rum.  Good God, aren't the sin taxes we pay enough?

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/28/05 at 4:53 pm

Sounds like discriminatrion to me, as I light up.  As long as tobacco is legal, seems to me that descriminating agains smokers like this is simply that, discrimination.  How can one be punished for doing a legal thing?  Not only am I lighting up, I'm sipping a rum.  Good God, aren't the sin taxes we pay enough?

I don't know why they don't just charge different insurance rates for people based on individual health risks -- that makes more sense...

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/28/05 at 6:57 pm

I agree...life insurance costs more if you're a smoker, why not medical as well?

Yep, I should pay far less than a Type-A Fortune-500 CEO who smokes, drinks and sleeps around...
and I should pay a bit more than a Mormon vegan.

8)

Written By: Butt Out on 01/28/05 at 7:56 pm

It's legal but so many smokers don't give a flying cigarette butt about anybody else. Blow your damn second hand smoke away from me and clean up after yourselves. Sounds like there's a huge lack of compassion for others from most smokers >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/05 at 10:17 pm

Corporations are generally evil, insurance companies are generally evil.  Two negatives make a negative.  They  came for pot smokers yesterday, cigarette smokers today, tomorrow it will be beer drinkers, and the next day it will be Twinkie eaters. 
Remember, this isn't the big bad government, this is the reaction of greedy private businesses to the action of greedy private insurance firms!
Again, I quote Chris Rock, "I'm tired of this sh*t, tired, tired, tired!"
::)

Written By: Mergal on 01/29/05 at 7:23 am

Coming from a non-smoker myself, who thinks that smoking is a stupid disgusting habit, I actually think that's rather harsh and unfair. I guess part of the major reason for why I feel this way, is that nobody trusts one another anymore, and now we have to take ridiculous tests to prove we're not lying!!  What next, blood tests to reveal alcohol abuse during the hiring process?! I think that all these screenings and security checks in this society are backfiring, and are making us more defensive and angry because just think of it as being in a marriage where there is no trust.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/05 at 8:08 am

Don't look to the Justice Department to help.  As much as some people hate the ACLU, they may be
your only line of defense.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/05 at 11:59 am

Don't look to the Justice Department to help.  As much as some people hate the ACLU, they may be
your only line of defense.

I'm surprised at that. I thought tabacco companies were still in Washington's back pocket (or is it Washington is in the tabacco companies' back pocket?).

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/29/05 at 5:09 pm

It's legal but so many smokers don't give a flying cigarette butt about anybody else. Blow your darn second hand smoke away from me and clean up after yourselves. Sounds like there's a huge lack of compassion for others from most smokers >:(

Most?  You may be right, but at least some of are more than conciderate.  For example, Cat and I "fumigate" our house and smoke outside when non-smakeers visit.

Written By: AL-B on 01/30/05 at 5:46 pm

I don't know why they don't just charge different insurance rates for people based on individual health risks -- that makes more sense...
I thought that a lot of insurance companies already did that.

Check for new replies or respond here...