» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Baghdad Mayor: Erect Statue for President Bush

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/31/05 at 5:35 am

BAGHDAD — The man replacing the mayor of Baghdad — who was assassinated for his pro-American loyalties — says he is not worried about his ties to Washington.

In fact, he'd like to erect a monument to honor President Bush in the middle of the city.

"We will build a statue for Bush," said Ali Fadel, the former provincial council chairman. "He is the symbol of freedom."

Fadel's predecessor, Ali al-Haidari, was gunned down Jan. 4 when militants opened fire on his armor-covered BMW as it traveled with a three-car convoy.

Fadel said he received numerous threats on his life as the council chairman, and expects to get many more in his new post.

"My life is cheap," Fadel said. "Everything is cheap for my country."

As Iraq prepared for a volatile election that is being watched across the world, Fadel heaped praise on the United States.

Fadel acknowledged that many in his country appear ungrateful for America's foreign assistance. He said most Iraqis are still in "shock" over the changes, and need time to adjust.

Any public monument to Bush is likely to further incense terrorist forces, who have attacked American troops and their supporters for months

Full story: http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/39526.htm

Subject: Re: Baghdad Mayor: Erect Statue for President Bush

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/05 at 10:28 am

wow, just like all the statues they raised for their last dictator.  Truly freedom progresses in Iraq!  Well worth the thousands of dead Americans and hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis if Bush gets a statue in his honor.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/31/05 at 11:35 am

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk................................  ::)

Written By: MooRocca on 01/31/05 at 12:23 pm

Surely, even W. must be a little creeped out by this.   

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/05 at 12:53 pm

Surely, even W. must be a little creeped out by this.   

I'm sure he views it as confirmation that his policies are working, and that everything is SUPER!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/05 at 1:04 pm

wow, just like all the statues they raised for their last dictator.  Truly freedom progresses in Iraq!  Well worth the thousands of dead Americans and hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis if Bush gets a statue in his honor.

I agree with you here. It's quite sad, honestly. I will respect Bush if he declines.

Tanya

Written By: goodsin on 01/31/05 at 1:27 pm

Am I alone in thinking Iyad Allawi looks like Tony Soprano?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/05 at 2:42 pm

Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived. He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.
Revelation 13:14-15 (NIV)

And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
Revelation 13:14-15 (KJV)

Is Dubya the beast, or just in league with the beast?

I figured there would be some genuflecting to Dubya in the jubilation of the first democratic election in Irag.  However, what this election means remains to be seen. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/31/05 at 3:12 pm

This is all because Bush didn't pass the test to be Grand Imperial Wizard.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/31/05 at 3:49 pm

Is Dubya the beast, or just in league with the beast?

I figured there would be some genuflecting to Dubya in the jubilation of the first democratic election in Irag.  However, what this election means remains to be seen. 

Estimates of the turnout I heard yesterday are impressive, but democracy is still a long way off, as is sovereignty.  What will happen when a sovereign Iraqi gov't cancells Haliburton's comtracts, or gives concessions for exploration to Russian/French corps?

Will these elections encourage reform in other Middle Eastern autocracies?  Some reforms say they will make change harder to achieve.  Who won?  Nothing is clear, nothing is settled, and a statue to Lil Georgie seems vastly premature.

Written By: philbo on 01/31/05 at 4:45 pm

Seeing this thread right next to the "favourite bushisms", made me think: which awe-inspiring Bush quote do you think they should have on the plinth?

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
maybe?

or possibly:
"I am a person who recognizes the fallacy of humans...,"

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/31/05 at 5:03 pm

Either one of those might work, my thought is that most Babilonian statuary has none of that, and the best part of that is that aftyer a few 100 or 1000ds of years, no one knows who the duffus depicted is.

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 6:15 pm

I think this is a bad idea. It just seems so arrogant to build a statue of an American president on foreign soil. It sounds like somehting straight out of the Roman Empire.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/31/05 at 10:02 pm

I think this is a bad idea. It just seems so arrogant to build a statue of an American president on foreign soil. It sounds like somehting straight out of the Roman Empire.

So what exactly are your feeling of the statue of former President Dwight Eisenhower in Bayeux, France?

As for me, the statue of Bush would be nice, but I would perfer if a statue was erected of an American soldier thanking all the soldiers who got killed in Iraq, and to thank all the American soldiers who fought for the Iraqi liberation.  They are the ones who are doing the fighting.

Written By: philbo on 02/01/05 at 12:28 am

So what exactly are your feeling of the statue of former President Dwight Eisehower in Bayeiax, France?

Bayeux? Been there, but didn't notice a statue (but they have got this really long rug on the wall...)

As for me, the statue of Bush would be nice, but I would perfer if a statue of an American soldier thanking all the soldiers who got killed in Iraq, and to thank all the American soldiers who fought for the Iraqi liberation. They are the ones who are doing the fighting.

I'd be in total agreement on this one: if they are to raise a statue, make it of the people who actually deserve it - thinking about it, that's pretty much what the French would have done for Eisenhower: it's a statue of him as a soldier, not as president.

Written By: Tam on 02/01/05 at 12:31 am

So what exactly are your feeling of the statue of former President Dwight Eisehower in Bayeiax, France?

As for me, the statue of Bush would be nice, but I would perfer if a statue of an American soldier thanking all the soldiers who got killed in Iraq, and to thank all the American soldiers who fought for the Iraqi liberation.  They are the ones who are doing the fighting.

I couldnt agree with you more!

Written By: jaytee on 02/01/05 at 12:34 am

The pigeons have to have somewhere to sh!t  :)

Written By: AL-B on 02/01/05 at 12:53 am

You know what? You got me there.  ;)

They shouldn't have stopped there though. They should knock over the Eiffel Tower and use it as a directional arrow pointing the way to EuroDisney. ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/01/05 at 2:55 am

Bayeux? Been there, but didn't notice a statue

According to the French tourist website, the statue is at the enterance to Bayeux coming in from Caen.

http://www.cpmac.com/ang/IMG/art17-3.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/05 at 6:48 am

it's a statue of him as a soldier, not as president.

And since bushie wasn't much good as either a soldier or a president it would be a good idea
to just leave it be. ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/01/05 at 3:51 pm

So what exactly are your feeling of the statue of former President Dwight Eisenhower in Bayeux, France?

As for me, the statue of Bush would be nice, but I would perfer if a statue was erected of an American soldier thanking all the soldiers who got killed in Iraq, and to thank all the American soldiers who fought for the Iraqi liberation.  They are the ones who are doing the fighting.

I believe the statue is of General (not President) Eisenhower, although I may be mistaken. (having read further, it is clear that I was NOT mistaken).

As to the rest, right on.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/01/05 at 3:55 pm

And since bushie wasn't much good as either a soldier or a president it would be a good idea
to just leave it be. ;)

As the French would say, "touche".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/01/05 at 10:55 pm

I believe the statue is of General (not President) Eisenhower, although I may be mistaken. (having read further, it is clear that I was NOT mistaken).

I personally don't think it matters.  The statue is of Eisenhower, he was once President, thus there is a statue of a President on foreign soil.

But wheather the statue is of him as a general or as a President, you need look no further then the picture I posted above of the Eisenhower statue in France.  It is clear (especially with the hat) that it is him as a general.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 12:31 am

Can I say BLECH!  :P

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/02/05 at 3:33 pm

Can I say BLECH!  :P

Not only can you say it, you can actually DO it, although if they do erect Lil' Georgie I think I'll barf, that is puke.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/02/05 at 3:57 pm

Meh give it a few years and i am sure we'll see the Iraqi's pulling down that statue.

Familiar image anybody?

Written By: philbo on 02/02/05 at 6:13 pm

I personally don't think it matters. The statue is of Eisenhower, he was once President, thus there is a statue of a President on foreign soil.

I think you'd agree, though: it shouldn't be Bush who's commemorated, but the general(s) who've done the best job for Iraq (in the same way as Eisenhower's role in the Normandy invasion is what's being commemorated by his statue)... then you'll just have to wait for whichever general it is to become president :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/02/05 at 10:24 pm

Meh give it a few years and i am sure we'll see the Iraqi's pulling down that statue.

Familiar image anybody?

Who knows?  Maybe the southern area of Iraq where British forces are will decide to thank Great Britain.  Maybe a statue of Tony Blair in Umm Qasr (I know that is spelled wrong.)

I think you'd agree, though: it shouldn't be Bush who's commemorated, but the general

A general or a soldier, I think they deserve a statue more than President Bush.  Tommy Franks, Donald Rumsfeld, or just a statue with a nameless American soldier thanking all the soldiers who fought to topple Saddam Hussein.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/03/05 at 8:00 am

Who knows?  Maybe the southern area of Iraq where British forces are will decide to thank Great Britain.  Maybe a statue of Tony Blair in Umm Qasr (I know that is spelled wrong.)

Oh it wouldn't suprise me if he had one comissioned. He has grown power mad. He has the Thatcher eyes now he just wants to consolidate his power by any means at his disposal.

I think they could still change it in to a statue of Bush in his Air Guard days... leave the base as it is just take the bit representing him away.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/03/05 at 8:51 am

I think they could still change it in to a statue of Bush in his Air Guard days... leave the base as it is just take the bit representing him away.

That is very true.  Bush was once a soldier.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/03/05 at 4:21 pm

Oh it wouldn't suprise me if he had one comissioned. He has grown power mad. He has the Thatcher eyes now he just wants to consolidate his power by any means at his disposal.

But he would have  to be out of uniform and with a bimbo on each arm.  I can see it now, hard times in the Texas Air National Guard, it could be used as a recruting campaign, "got connections?  Join the guard and get the girls".

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/03/05 at 5:06 pm

But he would have  to be out of uniform and with a bimbo on each arm.  I can see it now, hard times in the Texas Air National Guard, it could be used as a recruting campaign, "got connections?  Join the guard and get the girls".

no no.. read it again...

The part representing him would have to be taken 'away'...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/04/05 at 9:50 am

Alchoholica was talking about Tony Blair, not George Bush.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/04/05 at 4:48 pm

Alchoholica was talking about Tony Blair, not George Bush.

Tony, in my scenario, would have to be rendered on his knees paying adulation to Lil' Georgie and his bimbos.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/04/05 at 4:51 pm

With his tounge.. lodged somewhere

Written By: Double_A on 02/09/05 at 9:25 am

And on that statue it should read:

This statue is dedicated to Bush Junior who is both responsible for torturing and killing innocent Iraqi people in the name of weapons of mass destruction which didn't actually exist.........................

Perhaps the most fitting statue would be that of a Huge Penis with BUSH  written on it!

Check for new replies or respond here...