» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Just in..."Grading the states," 2005 edition

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/02/05 at 6:59 am

"The analysis is finished, the grades are complete. Grading the States 2005 is here."

The states are given grades ranging from F (lowest) to A+ (highest.)  The 50 states are based on money, people, infrastructure, information, and then the state gets an overall grade.  You can go to the site, and gets the grade for each state.

Here is the map showing the overall grades for each state:

http://results.gpponline.org/images/map_overall.gif

Please note: Just because a state doesn't have a high overall grade doesn't mean it didn't score very high on one or two of the four thing they rank.

Link to the site: http://results.gpponline.org/

Subject: Re: Just in..."Grading the states," 2005 edition

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/05 at 11:54 am

Please note: Just because a state doesn't have a high overall grade doesn't mean it didn't score very high on one or two of the four thing they rank.

I was going to mention that b/c Louisiana has the worst schools along with Mississippi.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/05 at 2:06 pm

Well, it's the Government Performance Project, so I'm surprised Massachusetts even made it as a straight C+ student.  I'm like the dumb kid's dad.  I'm smiling at the C+ report card 'coz I was expecting something a d*mned sight worse!
::)

Of course, the Big Dig always gives the Bay State a reason to hang our heads in shame.  Well, not I.  I was against the Big Dig before the stuck the first shovel in the ground.  Anyway, the Big Dig sucked all that state and federal money up like a sponge, and now that sponge is getting wrung out, but we don't wring out money, we wring out jets of dirty water all down the I93 tunnel.
Love that dirty water, oh, Boston your my home!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/02/05 at 2:25 pm

I was going to mention that b/c Louisiana has the worst schools along with Mississippi.

Tanya

Actually the worst schools are in the District of Columbia, which currently ranks 51st (which is dead last.)  I'm sure Louisiana and Mississippi aren't high on the list, but they aren't last.

Also education has nothing to do with the ranking, as Maxwell point out, it only has to do with the performance of the state government, not the states' schools.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/05 at 11:13 pm

Actually the worst schools are in the District of Columbia, which currently ranks 51st (which is dead last.)  I'm sure Louisiana and Mississippi aren't high on the list, but they aren't last.

Also education has nothing to do with the ranking, as Maxwell point out, it only has to do with the performance of the state government, not the states' schools.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Louisiana and Mississippi has notoriously been placed as the states with the worst schools. I'm not disagreeing with District of Columbia, but they are not as horrendous as LA and MS. The reasoning is the extremely high teacher shortage/low retention rate, conditions of the schools (which pre-date 1980), lack of new text books, and political corruption. As a teacher, I keep track of the rankings because I would like to know what my options are should I choose to move into another state. These two states are always lowest on my desire to teach there. I'd leave my beloved profession before going to these two states.

Tanya

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/02/05 at 11:24 pm

Looking over the grades, I noticed no state did above an A- and no state did below a C-, but that is overall.  Some states are F's on things like people.  Two states are tied for the highest, and two are tied for the lowest.

Tied for the highest overall grade: Utah and Virginia.

Tied for the lowest overall grade: Alabama and California.

I am disappointed.  I was hoping at least one state would have a big fat F for it's overall grade, even if it was a southern state.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/05 at 11:27 pm

I'm surprised at that too. I would've thought Alaska or Hawaii. Oh well. It goes to show you that no one's completely happy or living out the American Dream.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/05 at 6:42 am

I am disappointed.  I was hoping at least one state would have a big fat F was it's overall grade.

No, Massachusetts came in as a C ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/03/05 at 8:09 am

Nice to see Missouri with a B there.

Imagine what it would be if John Ashcroft was capable of beating a corpse?

Check for new replies or respond here...