» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Are you Christian?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 11:33 pm

I vote "Not Really" because I'm a Freethinker and churches are full of shhh.

Subject: Re: Are you Christian?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/05 at 1:21 am

Yes, I am. But, I'm not a Bible beater, by any means.

Tanya

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/05/05 at 1:36 am

Yes, I am. But, I'm not a Bible beater, by any means.

Tanya

I respect those Christians.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/05 at 1:39 am

Ha!

Tanya

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/05/05 at 1:42 am

Ha!

Tanya

Did I offend you?  I respect "Bible-beaters" as long as they don't force their beliefs on people by harassment and violence.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/05 at 1:44 am

No you didn't offend me. I was just laughing. I should've put this  :) beside it.

Tanya

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/05/05 at 1:45 am

No you didn't offend me. I was just laughing. I should've put this  beside it.

Tanya

Good  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 7:03 am

I am a Roman Catholic although i can see the good ideas behind most religions. I am going to become an Episcopalian, essentially because it is catholiocism without so much emphasis on "WHY ARE WE SUCH AWFUL PEOPLE!"

I also happen to think that the church is a crock of sheesh organisation, they are the richest most powerful organisation and no organisation can stay in power for 2000 years without eliminating a lot of enemys, information, other organisations, rivals.. the list goes on.

I thought about Judaism... but discoverd that it takes a lot of work to become Jewish and hey i don't mind Christ that much... i'll give the guy a shot  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/05/05 at 7:46 am

I am a Roman Catholic although i can see the good ideas behind most religions. I am going to become an Episcopalian, essentially because it is Catholicism without so much emphasis on "WHY ARE WE SUCH AWFUL PEOPLE!"

I also happen to think that the church is a crock of sh** organization, they are the richest most powerful organization and no organization can stay in power for 2000 years without eliminating a lot of enemy's, information, other organizations, rivals.. the list goes on.

I thought about Judaism... but discove rd that it takes a lot of work to become Jewish and hey i don't mind Christ that much... I'll give the guy a shot  ;D

I was born and raised Episcopal, the origins of the Episcopal Church are absolutely horrific.That being said it is easy to make the transition because it is basically the Catholic religion without confession.  The attitude changes parish to parish depending on the preacher.  I will go on to say that I was raised Episcopal, but my Dad was Catholic so I did get to see both sides.  I, if pressed,  would call myself Unitarian.

Written By: Bobby on 02/05/05 at 9:16 am

I put 'not really' but I am as close to yes as I am to no. I don't like organised religion, Mike (for very much similar reasons to yourself), growing up in the Jehovah's Witnesses has been a bittersweet thing.

I am very open to fact though and if one religion proves overall they have got it right, chances are, I might be interested.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 9:17 am

Your mum & dad were Jehovas witnesses.. I wanna make a joke but it would be in bad taste.

What was that like?

Written By: jaytee on 02/05/05 at 9:43 am

My parents:  Mother:  Mormon    Father:  Uniting

Me:  Catholic

Yes I am Christian and I know a lot of people that are Christian but don't go to church or have a particular religion.

Written By: Bobby on 02/05/05 at 12:35 pm

Your mum & dad were Jehovas witnesses.. I wanna make a joke but it would be in bad taste.

What was that like?

I've heard most of them.  ;D

My parents were involved with them but it was only my mum that became baptised so she was the only 'Jehovah's Witness' in our family. What was it like? Very tough to live by - though that can be taken as a positive and a negative, I took it as a negative. I felt there was too much thought control going on (besides, I read 1984 by George Orwell at the same time and it got me worried so I left).

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/05/05 at 12:43 pm

i'm a christian but i'm having issues with the bible and God. i believe in christ's teachings, it's his father who i think is a dink.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/05/05 at 1:30 pm

No, I'm agnostic.  Among religions Buddhism has the most appeal to me.

Written By: McDonald on 02/05/05 at 1:50 pm

I am a Roman Catholic although i can see the good ideas behind most religions. I am going to become an Episcopalian, essentially because it is catholiocism without so much emphasis on "WHY ARE WE SUCH AWFUL PEOPLE!"

So you're going to the ol' C of E then, eh? They aren't so bad, I agree. Presbyterians are alright too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/05 at 4:24 pm

My mother is Episcopal and my father is Jewish so we were brought up in a dual religious household (but since my dad wasn't always in the picture, we leaned more towards the Episcopal side).

Today, my dad is (get this) an athest Jewish Quarker. I have a Catholic sister, a Unitaritian sister, an agnostic sister, an Episcopal sister, and a Jewish brother. Me, I am a Pagan. I practice the Wicca religion. Sure makes things interesting.  ;D :D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/05/05 at 5:42 pm

Father: Uniting

May I ask what is Uniting?

As for the poll, I am a Christian.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/05 at 11:21 pm

Roman Catholic, all though I probally should go to Church more often!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 12:31 am

I put 'not really' but I am as close to yes as I am to no. I don't like organised religion, Mike (for very much similar reasons to yourself), growing up in the Jehovah's Witnesses has been a bittersweet thing.

I am very open to fact though and if one religion proves overall they have got it right, chances are, I might be interested. 

I agree Bobby  :)  I don't like the Church's disrespect for animals and women, and in my opinion the Heaven and Hell concept is flawed (there's Karma and besides, an action is its own reward or revenge).  Not to mention there's little evidence any faith is more valid than another.

My family's Catholic and I must say I respect the Catholic Church more than others because they don't convert and because they believe in forgiveness (although Confession is a joke  ;D  )

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/06/05 at 1:31 am

I put no. Grew up in an agnostic/athiest household, my parents decided to become Christian when I was about 10, we were Episcopalian(sp?) but I never really bought into it(despite being baptized), we stopped after only a year or so. Tried reading about religions and stuff once I got into my teens, briefly tried non-denominational Christianity, then Islam(which I stuck with for over a year), became agnostic again, read a little more, briefly tried Wicca..

Now I am an athiest. At this point nothing else makes sense. And my father is an athiest, and my uncle, and their father AND his father were athiests too, so its a comfortable choice. Their family besides them is Southern Baptist and Methodist, and my mom's family is Southern Baptist and Pentacostl.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 8:46 am

I agree Bobby  :)  I don't like the Church's disrespect for animals and women, and in my opinion the Heaven and Hell concept is flawed (there's Karma and besides, an action is its own reward or revenge).  Not to mention there's little evidence any faith is more valid than another.

My family's Catholic and I must say I respect the Catholic Church more than others because they don't convert and because they believe in forgiveness (although Confession is a joke  ;D  )

I'm pretty much on the same wave-length as you.  :)

Off topic, Mike, you can 'reply with quote' to let people know who you are quoting from more clearly.  ;)

Written By: neebs25 on 02/06/05 at 8:56 am

I choose kinda.  My mother is Catholic, and my father is ...well, I'm not sure.  Church was not big in my house at all.  I beleive there is a higher power, mabey even Jesus Christ.  I just never wanted to get sucked into the church scene.  IMO, churches are kinda like mini-cults.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/05 at 9:44 am

That isn't exactly true.They are not as out loud as the evangelicals, but they are out there withholding or granting help in the poorest countries on the basis of the whether or not the people they are offering their help chose to convert or not.  It is an old ploy that has been used as far back as the church has been in existence, one used by the recently beatified Mother Theresa.  As for forgiveness, they only forgive if you take Jesus as your Saviour.  You can live a perfectly honest, caring life, but if you do not acknowledge Jesus as your savior, and the "one true God"(theirs), well you know where you go then, don't you? That is why they still have extreme unction, one last chance, all is forgiven...or not.

Written By: Mona on 02/06/05 at 9:58 am

I chose kindof because I do believe in God, Jesus and the Bible but I don't go to church.  I have never found a church that was not full of hypocrites, myself included as I do tend to over indulge in drinking.  But I still feel that what's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. I refuse to litter for example and feel very strongly about it (ask my kids, they have many times been made to go back and pick up something they've thrown on the ground  ::)).  I have often been asked if I was a Christian by people simply because of my morals.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 4:27 pm

That isn't exactly true.They are not as out loud as the evangelicals, but they are out there withholding or granting help in the poorest countries on the basis of the whether or not the people they are offering their help chose to convert or not. It is an old ploy that has been used as far back as the church has been in existence, one used by the recently beatified Mother Theresa. As for forgiveness, they only forgive if you take Jesus as your Saviour. You can live a perfectly honest, caring life, but if you do not acknowledge Jesus as your savior, and the "one true God"(theirs), well you know where you go then, don't you? That is why they still have extreme unction, one last chance, all is forgiven...or not.

True  ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/06/05 at 4:53 pm

My answer was no.  I guess I'm an agnoistic because I'm too busy and too unconcerned with the whole religious scene to be an atheist, it takes too much work.  I am leanbing to the idea that there are "life forces" which are beyond logical explanation though.

Written By: jaytee on 02/07/05 at 5:54 pm

May I ask what is Uniting?

As for the poll, I am a Christian.

The Uniting Church Of Australia - a mix of Congregational/Methodist/Presbyterian.

Written By: philbo on 02/07/05 at 5:58 pm

I'm with the Dude, here: an atheist, 'cause nothing else makes sense.  (anyone who's read some of my more, er, provocative parodies wouldn't need to be told this ;))

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/05 at 6:06 pm

I'm with the Dude, here: an atheist, 'cause nothing else makes sense.  (anyone who's read some of my more, er, provocative parodies wouldn't need to be told this ;))

Just don't rattle the anti-Darwin creationist cage.  That's all we need!
;) :o

Written By: Paul on 02/07/05 at 6:15 pm

Nope...although I was baptised in a C of E setting - not my choice, obviously...I suppose the rest of the family wanted a day out...!

No religion holds any sort of attraction for me...

Written By: Miss Tainted on 02/07/05 at 10:22 pm

Born into a Christian family.

Written By: AL-B on 02/07/05 at 10:27 pm

This may be a little off-topic, but right now I'm watching a movie about the life of Lenny Bruce, and I just heard him make an excellent quote: "If God made the body and the body is 'dirty,' then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

Written By: Dagwood on 02/07/05 at 11:26 pm

The Uniting Church Of Australia - a mix of Congregational/Methodist/Presbyterian.

Written By: goodsin on 02/08/05 at 5:11 am

Nope...although I was baptised in a C of E setting - not my choice, obviously...I suppose the rest of the family wanted a day out...!

Me too. Does sort of make me wonder if I wasn't circumcized for the same reason!  ;D

Lean more towards being pagan now. My cathedral is Avebury stone circle, my church is the coast & countryside, my prayer is every time I stop to wonder at or thank nature.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/05 at 6:29 am

This may be a little off-topic, but right now I'm watching a movie about the life of Lenny Bruce, and I just heard him make an excellent quote: "If God made the body and the body is 'dirty,' then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

;D  Love the way he makes a point!

Written By: McDonald on 02/08/05 at 1:53 pm

I have been to many a church in my day. They have different styles, that's for sure. In New York, there were two churches in my little town of Hadley/Lake Luzerne. There was the Presbyterian, and the Catholic. If you went to Church in that town, you were either Presbyterian or Catholic. I went to the Presbyterian one, and I remember in Sunday school we were not taught about hell. We mostly were taught how to be polite and nice to people, and how to deal with people who were mean to us and the importance of forgiving people. Nearing the Holidays and Easter, there was some Jesus talk, but not nearly as much as one would expect.

Whenever I visited Texas, I would go to the Southern Baptist shurch with my cousin. There in Sunday school we learned strictly Bible stories and Jesus stuff, and in big church I heard a lot of "we're right, they're worng" talk and hellfire and brimstone. I heard a lot of "gays, Catholics, adulterers, etc.. are all sinners and will all go to hell if they don't repent."

My mom was a Catholic, so when I was visiting her (my parents were divorced) I went to Holy Mass. There was no Sunday school, just mass, and I rarely listened because I was very young and bored, but the priest shouted a lot.

All in all, I liked the Presbyterians in the North the best. I think it's great to teach kids kindness and tolerance and forgiveness.

Written By: Mona on 02/08/05 at 3:04 pm

Not all Southern Baptist churches are like that and I used to be Catholic and while I'll admit I was bored as a child, our priest never yelled.

Interesting thought, but then who said the body is dirty?

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/08/05 at 3:21 pm

Proud to be a conservative Christian.

Written By: Satish on 02/08/05 at 3:46 pm

Well, I was raised a Hindu, but I don't personally follow any organized religions.

Written By: McDonald on 02/08/05 at 4:39 pm

Not all Southern Baptist churches are like that and I used to be Catholic and while I'll admit I was bored as a child, our priest never yelled.

Sometimes I think I am the only person who recognises the rule of "not all X's will be Y" as a given. Must there be an automatic disclaimer everytime? I hope not, or I might never get any work done. I don't think I implied that all Southern Baptist churches and Catholic priests were any certain way. Attitudes change from region to region, place to place... it's a given. All I was doing was recounting childhood experiences in religion.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/05 at 7:35 pm

Interesting thought, but then who said the body is dirty?

The Catholics were big into sexual shame.  Very toxic, hurt the lives of countless faithful Catholics, and even Catholics who renounced Catholocism over shame.  Shame gets hardwired in childhood and is very hard to abate.
It's time for the Catholic Church to reassess some of its dogma.  It better!

Anyway, shouldn't this thread be titled "Ain't you Christian?"
???

Written By: Mona on 02/09/05 at 7:52 am

Well, again,  I was raised Catholic until I was 13 and never heard any messages about the body being dirty, but then looking back my brothers and I spent most of our time in church rubbing our feet on the carpet and shocking each other so maybe I just missed it.  ::)

Written By: Double_A on 02/09/05 at 9:05 am

Can you define Christian? What is a Christian?

I'm proud to say I put my faith in me, my friends and family.

I could never believe in such folly........ I pity those who feel they need religion in their life and especially those who believe whats written in the Bible.................

The Romans had the right idea - throw em to the lions!

Written By: MooRocca on 02/09/05 at 9:42 am

A Christian is someone who believes Jesus Christ was born the messiah, died for the sins of mankind and rose from the dead.  It's that simple. 

Written By: philbo on 02/10/05 at 8:57 am

Naah... that only encourages 'em ;)

Written By: Apricot on 02/10/05 at 9:10 am

Kinda. I don't accept all of the Bible, or all the ways God is portrayed sometimes. I do believe in Christ. Kinda weird, might explain later.

Written By: joedeertae on 02/10/05 at 11:23 am

Yes. I am a Christian. Southern Baptist in fact. I'm not the Bible thumpin', cram it down everyones throat, I'm better than you because I believe and you don't kind. I generally keep my thoughts to myself on the subject.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/10/05 at 9:24 pm

Kinda. I don't accept all of the Bible, or all the ways God is portrayed sometimes. I do believe in Christ. Kinda weird, might explain later.

Strangely enough, I do too.  I don't think Jesus wants religion, I think he wanted to save man from destroying the planet (perhaps he was an E.T.?  ??? ).  It seems like he's failing. 

Also, I don't think the writers of the Bible got him all right. 

Written By: philbo on 02/11/05 at 12:52 pm

Given that none of the people who wrote the Bible were alive at the same time as Jesus, you could be right there... just to be a trifle provocative, here, I feel I have to add: assuming, of course, that there actually was a real man called Jesus Christ.  I'm no longer convinced of that.

Written By: philbo on 02/11/05 at 12:52 pm

Given that none of the people who wrote the Bible were alive at the same time as Jesus, you could be right there... just to be a trifle provocative, here, I feel I have to add: assuming, of course, that there actually was a real man called Jesus Christ.  I'm no longer convinced of that.

Written By: McDonald on 02/11/05 at 2:42 pm

There is a very interesting book which I have not yet read entitled "The Greatest Story Ever Sold." It's thesis is that there was no historical Jesus Christ and that he is an conglomerate archetype based on several people living at the time. The book is written in academic style and is backed up with sources as far as I know.

Written By: philbo on 02/11/05 at 5:59 pm

Couldn't resist this....

------------------

Edmund Paul Blackadder...father of Christianity...

IN a small 1st century apartment in Antioch, Paul (Rowan Atkinson, in Blackadder Mode) stands beside a table set up for a passover feast. The centerpiece, as just laid on the table by BALDRICK, is a large roasted Ham. Paul’s father, a Priest, stares at the ham.

PRIEST (I imagine Brian Blessed): What in the name of all that’s sacred is THAT?
PAUL: Um, passover meal. Are you staying?
PRIEST: You’re eating HAM? Haven’t you ever heard of KOSHER!?
PAUL: Oh. That. Yes, well, it’s, uh, well it’s over.
PRIEST: Over? Kosher is over?!
PAUL: Yes, the messiah told me that Kashruth was past it’s shelf life, and we could eat whatever we want.
PRIEST: The Messiah?
PAUL: Yes.
PRIEST: Spoke to you?
PAUL: Yes.
PRIEST: When?
PAUL: Um, somewhere…between…here and…Damascus.
PRIEST: And who was this Messiah?
PAUL: That Jesus guy, caused all the furor in Jerusalem a while back.
PRIEST: So, he really was the Messiah?
PAUL: Well, he said so.
PRIEST: So the Messiah has come?
PAUL: Evidently.
PRIEST: War is over, every nation will turn itself to the worship of Jehovah, and the Temple has been rebuilt?
PAUL: Um…well, not YET.
PRIEST: What do you mean, not yet? Jesus, your messiah, has come in accordance with the Prophecies in the Torah, but he hasn’t fulfilled those prophecies?
PAUL: He’s, um, going to fulfill THOSE prophecies next time.
PRIEST: A ‘second’ coming of the Messiah? Who’s idea was that?
PAUL: Oh, it’s the Messiah’s. Yes, he explained it all to me. I just need to write it down.
PRIEST: Oh, I’d love to see this scroll. Let me know when you’ve finished it.
PAUL: Oh, I will, I will. So, staying for dinner?
PRIEST: No. I’ll be eating at your brother’s. You know, my favorite son.
PAUL: Yessssss….(Priest Leaves, Paul and Baldrick sit at the table)
BALDRICK-SERVANT: So, the messiah spoke to you, sir? You never told me.
PAUL: Shuddup. Right after dinner, I have an entire religion to create before my father dies and leaves everything to my jackass brother.
BALDRICK-SERVANT: A religion, Mr. P? Can you do that?
PAUL: Oh, yes. Just backfill some useful philosophy into recent historical events, crib a lot from old scrolls no one ever reads any more, and POOF! A religion tailor-made to let us do whatever we want.
BALDRICK-SERVANT: Ooh. Can I be in the religion, sir?
PAUL: Yes, you can be in it. I’ll make a special place for you, Judas.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/05 at 3:04 pm

Well, that depends on who you talk to ;)

I was raised Catholic, but consider myself now agnostic.  If it makes someone feel better to believe that "God" exists, more power to them, as long as they don't try to shove their beliefs down my throat.  Like the old adage goes:  "I don't swim in your toilet so please don't pee in my pool".  I think the major problem I have with organized religion is the "we're right, you're wrong" mentality.  And, from my experience, it occurs in ALL religions to some extent.  It may not be as apparent in some as it is in others, but the underlying belief is still there.

I don't believe in organized religion either-ANY of them. I have said this many times, beliefs are a VERY personal thing. No one can tell you WHAT to believe and that is what organized religion do.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 02/13/05 at 4:29 pm

I don't believe in organized religion either-ANY of them. I have said this many times, beliefs are a VERY personal thing. No one can tell you WHAT to believe and that is what organized religion do.

Cat

Theirs a quote from the Movie "The Buttercream Gang" that you might like. "The way you treat people is between you and your God and the way I treat people is between me and my God."  Pretty much says a very personal standpoint on religion.

Another quote from a recent poll, "Their are a lot more atheist now, than there were".

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/05 at 1:38 pm

Theirs a quote from the Movie "The Buttercream Gang" that you might like. "The way you treat people is between you and your God and the way I treat people is between me and my God."   Pretty much says a very personal standpoint on religion.

Another quote from a recent poll, "Their are a lot more atheist now, than there were".

I've seen that movie. It was quite a long time ago though. It's where the leader of this juvenile do-good club moves off to live with his aunt in the city. He joins a gang and becomes a thug, then is sent back to the little town. Now the Buttercream Gang has to deal with their wayward leader.

The movie is quite unbelievable to tell you the truth. It's very LEEN (Late Eighties Early Nineties) in it's approach to social vices. The gang kid doesn't look like a gangster at all, he looks like one of the poor kids from Ernest Goes to Camp.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/14/05 at 2:59 pm

I'm not particularly 'religious', but I don't understand what exactly people mean when they talk about other people "shoving their beliefs down their throat?"  

A person's ideas, philosophy, world view or whatever naturally influences their opinions and informs their priorities.  If they then express those opinions -- even passionately -- how are they cramming their beliefs down my throat?  Should freedom of expression apply only to agnostics and atheists?  I never hear people talk about Al Franken or Ann Coulter 'shoving their beliefs' down anyone's throats.

The perspectives of many abolitionists were informed by their Christian beliefs -- should that have rendered their arguments invalid?

People too often confuse their own idea of the "separation of church and state" with what it ACTUALLY means as expressed in the Constitution.  All the Constitution basically says about it is that the government can't officially establish a national religion, or keep people from freely practicing their own religion.  

Of course, as with any text, you can indulge in rhetorical games taken to Clintonesque extremes, but that kind of nonsense isn't even worth debating.

:-\\

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/14/05 at 6:09 pm

What I mean when I say that (and it not only pertains to religion) is when someone tells me what I "HAVE" to believe and then proceed to tell me that I'm "wrong" for not believing what they do.  When I was a practicing Catholic, I was told so many times that I was "going to Hell" simply for being Catholic.  Even now, I've been told that I'm "evil" and "going to Hell" for what I believe (or don't believe).  IMO, trying to force someone to believe what you do by calling them names and telling them they're wrong is no different than trying to force feed an anorexic....and just about as effective.  Because of my past experiences in life, I always try to let people know that "X" is what I believe.  If they agree with me, no problem...if not, so be it (until they start calling names and accusing, then the gloves come off).

Well, if you choose to be a member of an organization/faith with certain beliefs, isn't it sort of reasonable to assume that they would tell you what the requirements are for that faith?  To characterize that as being 'force fed' an ideology seems odd to me, sort of like joining the Boy Scouts and then complaining that I don't want them shoving their oath and their uniform down my throat.

And if I'm not a member of a particular church/organization, they really can't tell me what to believe, and I can't imagine why their opinions should bother me -- it's not as though people are chasing me down the street harrassing me to "BELIEVE, BELIEVE".  Osama thinks we're all evil.  So what.  I don't even believe in 'evil'.  Some people do.  More power to 'em.

Besides, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think pretty much ALL of us have things we think we're RIGHT about, and that those who disagree with us are WRONG about.  It's just that we're really REALLY right about the things we're right about.  And THEY are unfortunately misguided about the things they think they're right about.

;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/14/05 at 6:21 pm

Well, if you choose to be a member of an organization/faith with certain beliefs, isn't it sort of reasonable to assume that they would tell you what the requirements are for that faith?  To characterize that as being 'force fed' an ideology seems odd to me, sort of like joining the Boy Scouts and then complaining that I don't want them shoving their oath and their uniform down my throat.

And if I'm not a member of a particular church/organization, they really can't tell me what to believe, and I can't imagine why their opinions should bother me -- it's not as though people are chasing me down the street harrassing me to "BELIEVE, BELIEVE".  Osama thinks we're all evil.  So what.  I don't even believe in 'evil'.  Some people do.  More power to 'em.

Besides, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think pretty much ALL of us have things we think we're RIGHT about, and that those who disagree with us are WRONG about. It's just that we're really REALLY right about the things we're right about. And THEY are unfortunately misguided about the things they think they're right about.

;)

I agree, Lee O'Shea, that there is no such thing as "evil".  Labeling (usually bad) people evil makes us hate them as well as loathe them (I mean it makes us consider then unhuman as well as dislikable).  Evil people are simply dysfunctional.  That's not to say they're not responsible for the actions and worthy of punishment (they are), it's just saying we shouldn't be judgmental and that none of these people are perfectly "normal" the way the Rightwing hate-baiters would make you think.  They're insane in one way or another, but only certain types of insanity in my opinion (like scizophrenia) mean they should not get prison time.

I say you don't have to like everyone (in fact you shouldn't), but you have to respect (love, if you will) them as beings.  That doesn't mean let them escape what they deserve, it just means you accept that they're human and and worthy of being able to redeem themselves in one way or another.  There's no problem with "hating" people to a certain extent (like RockandRollFan loathes the punks who killed his son) but if it consumes you and you wish them hell and death, well, I understand if the case is grave but it's still not right.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/15/05 at 9:30 am

You're right...if I choose to belong to an organization, then I probably already have the same beliefs from the onset and understand that there are certain rules to be followed.  If I choose not to, however, I think people should respect my decision to NOT belong and not call me names.  Maybe it's Catholic guilt, or I'm more sensitive or whatever, but when people call me "evil" and/or say that I said things that I didn't or think things about me that aren't true, it DOES affect me.  I think it affects more people than are willing to admit it because deep down inside, I think most people have a desire to be liked.  Likewise, people who agree with us are "right" and those who disagree with us are "wrong", it's human nature.  It's all about respect.....if someone doesn't respect my ability to make my own decision, then how can they expect me to respect theirs?

Yeah, I hear you.  People are entitled to their own opinions and judgements.  And they even the right to be butts about it, but it is rude, completely unnecessary, and -- I think -- ultimately undermines their position anyway. 

It seems to me that when someone has the understandable 'right' to act out of anger, yet chooses instead to express their uncompromising conviction by way of rational thoughtfulness, it ultimately gives their position more validity anyway (Gandhi, Wiesel, King...)

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/15/05 at 10:02 am

I agree, Lee O'Shea, that there is no such thing as "evil".  Labeling (usually bad) people evil makes us hate them as well as loathe them (I mean it makes us consider then unhuman as well as dislikable).  Evil people are simply dysfunctional.  That's not to say they're not responsible for the actions and worthy of punishment (they are), it's just saying we shouldn't be judgmental and that none of these people are perfectly "normal" the way the Rightwing hate-baiters would make you think.  They're insane in one way or another, but only certain types of insanity in my opinion (like scizophrenia) mean they should not get prison time.

I say you don't have to like everyone (in fact you shouldn't), but you have to respect (love, if you will) them as beings.  That doesn't mean let them escape what they deserve, it just means you accept that they're human and and worthy of being able to redeem themselves in one way or another.  There's no problem with "hating" people to a certain extent (like RockandRollFan loathes the punks who killed his son) but if it consumes you and you wish them hell and death, well, I understand if the case is grave but it's still not right.

Yeah, it seems to me that the concept of 'evil' just lets everyone off the hook.  Or viewed another way, it just leaves everyone powerless.  If someone's acting out of some mysterious 'force of evil' or 'innate evil', then there's nothing they can do about it, and there's certainly nothing anyone else can do about it.  To me, it's just so easy to look at human behavior throughout history and up to the present day, and come to the conclusion that 'evil' behavior is not the mystery that people often pretend to think it is. 

In 1940's Germany, pretty much an entire culture (not to mention the world) stood by and knowingly watched entire segments of their citizenry -- innocent people -- being marched to certain death.  To some, these people were a threat to their 'way of life'.  Others were just 'passive' observers, going along so as not to make trouble for themselves or appear unpatriotic.  The few who did the only decent human thing, we tend to view as 'heroes'.

In the 17th/18th century American South, pretty much an entire culture, more or less, felt it was perfectly acceptable to buy and sell people as free labor, (as long as you treated them 'well', of course... though it was, of course legal to violently dispose of your property if it got out of line). 

Today, it's not at all hard to find reasonably 'normal, morally decent people' who will tell you (as an acquaintance of mine did, back in 2002), "yes, we should kill them all -- even the children, otherwise, they'll just grow up to hate us too".

O---key... but it's the Osamas, the Kim Jong-Ils, the Khaddafis and the Saddams whom we like to hang the 'evil' tag on?  Well, they have their rationalizations just like the passive Germans, just like those good Southern Christians, just like us.  And sure, I can start making intellectual rationalizations about what makes 'those people' more evil than good honest, morally upright me, but I think that's just silly.

Written By: Apricot on 02/18/05 at 2:09 pm

Double post gets double reply.  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 02/18/05 at 2:10 pm

Double post gets double reply.  ;D

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/18/05 at 3:08 pm

I am.  And just to let you know most of the people who wrote the New Testament were alive when Jesus was.

Written By: EthanM on 02/18/05 at 3:57 pm

in the class i took on Christianity the Gospel of John, where the most unbelievable miracles are found, was written about seventy years after the death of Jesus. The way life expectancy was like those days, "john" was probably not alive at the time of those events and he certainly wouldn't have seen them

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/18/05 at 4:04 pm

in the class i took on Christianity the Gospel of John, where the most unbelievable miracles are found, was written about seventy years after the death of Jesus. The way life expectancy was like those days, "john" was probably not alive at the time of those events and he certainly wouldn't have seen them

The book of Matthew was written by Matthew.  A tax collector who was called by Jesus to be one of the twelve deciples.

Written By: Averageguy on 02/18/05 at 11:02 pm

I'm proud to say I put my faith in me, my friends and family.

I could never believe in such folly........ I pity those who feel they need religion in their life and especially those who believe whats written in the Bible.................

Good question. It appears it depends on who you are talking to, as there are a hundred definitions given in the replies. I think since the word "christian" means to be "Christ like" we should look to the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus called people to be "born again", not to join a church, an organized religion, to hold to certain traditions, etc.... Christ preached repentance, faith, love. It's God's will for all men to be saved (born again) 2 Timothy 2:3-4. To be born again is to repent of your sins, believing that Christ died in order to forgive us of our sins, and giving your life to him. The Holy Spirit will enter your life, giving you a regenerated heart and soul, and the power and the DESIRE to live for Christ.  Acts 4:12 tells us that Jesus is the only way of salvation. In him we must place our trust and belief for eternal life, forgiveness of sin, and true peace and joy. I know most of you will disagree, but God is calling you also. I challenge you to study what the Bible says and seek answers for the questions you have.  Ask honest questions and seek honest answers.  God hates religion also, I am not talking about organized religion here, I'm talking a relationship between you and your creator.

Written By: ros on 02/18/05 at 11:24 pm

I am a  devoted "commerical" Christian. Marketing really gets me into the Christian sprit. Right now I cant wait until Easter :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/18/05 at 11:28 pm

I am.  And just to let you know most of the people who wrote the New Testament were alive when Jesus was.

Proof?

Written By: Missionary on 02/19/05 at 10:28 am

I also happen to think that the church is a crock of sh** organisation, they are the richest most powerful organisation and no organisation can stay in power for 2000 years without eliminating a lot of enemys, information, other organisations, rivals.. the list goes on.

I thought about Judaism... but discoverd that it takes a lot of work to become Jewish and hey i don't mind Christ that much... i'll give the guy a shot  ;D

Hey Christ doesn't mind you that much either.....in fact he yearns for you to give him a shot!!
You were probably being sarcastic but I'm not.......please don't ignore him!

Written By: Missionary on 02/19/05 at 10:33 am

My parents:  Mother:  Mormon     Father:  Uniting

Me:  Catholic

Yes I am Christian and I know a lot of people that are Christian but don't go to church or have a particular religion.

Wow, that must be hard having parents with different religions!! You must have to be very strong in your beliefs! Just keep focusing on Christ, he'll keep ya strong.

Written By: Missionary on 02/19/05 at 10:37 am

i'm a christian but i'm having issues with the bible and God. i believe in christ's teachings, it's his father who i think is a dink.

I am curious as to why you think God is a dink (what is a dink anyway ???)
I mean Jesus is God in human form. Ya know the whole trinity thing, father, son, holy spirit, 3 in one (yeah ya probably do). If you believe in Christ's teaching's you believe in God teaching's, cause he is God.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 10:49 am

dink=a@@hole. i believe in God, i just don't like him right now.

Written By: philbo on 02/19/05 at 1:13 pm

The book of Matthew was written by Matthew. A tax collector who was called by Jesus to be one of the twelve deciples.

You know this exactly how?

A simple question for you: how many contemporary sources mention Jesus at all?

Written By: Apricot on 02/19/05 at 4:42 pm

dink=a@@hole. i believe in God, i just don't like him right now.

I feel the same way. You sound kinda like the gnostics. Not the AGs, but the gnostics. I'll post more on them later.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 4:59 pm

I feel the same way. You sound kinda like the gnostics. Not the AGs, but the gnostics. I'll post more on them later.

Can you tell me more about Satanism, Apricot?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 5:06 pm

i was reading up about manichaeism and it had me interested. the dual nature of God as both good and evil is fascinating. the gnostics had a similar belief.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/05 at 5:12 pm

I've grown up in the Catholic church, and it remains my church of preference. Protestants are too exteme and less accepting of other religions, well at least those so called non-denominational ones, and some other branches as well, and don't get me started on a whacko fundamentalist uncle of mine. I don't hold the stupid belief that I'm sure I'm going to heaven and all other religion are going straight to hell. I believe very strongly that religion should be separate from the government.

Written By: Apricot on 02/19/05 at 7:36 pm

Can you tell me more about Satanism, Apricot?

Yes, I can. I can tell you about all sorts of religions. But not right now. Maybe later.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/19/05 at 8:28 pm

I got a question for the fellow Christians here:

Which religions would you define as Protestant?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/05 at 8:31 pm

Any non-catholic, non-orthodox Christian churches, (i.e. Baptist, Methodist, Prebyterian, Lutheran, etc.)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/19/05 at 8:56 pm

See I totally don't get that.....
I mean Lutheran, Methodist are obviously.  I don't quite know the history of the Presbyterian or the Baptist exactly.....
Why do people say "Any non-Catholic Christian religion is Protestant?"  Protestant means those which originated from protesting or coming out of the Catholic church.  Some Christian sects I'm sure had nothing ever to do with the Catholic church. 
Now I'm not exactly sure when the Catholic church was established but obviously it was long after the NT was available- the Catholic leaders made everybody burn their Bibles and they burnt people they caught reading their Bibles alone.  People were already following certain beliefs before the Catholic church came around so then these people had to hide out in holes and read their Bibles on their own because they obviously did not want to convert to Catholicism.  Well obviously some of those people (or at least their families generations later) survived and still kept their beliefs. 
Now I know that "the" Baptist church and others were founded later than the Catholic church.  But just disregarding religion titles: If you are Christian and you believe in a Sovereign God, and you are following EVERY doctrine of the Bible- not adding anything, not leaving anything out, but following the original teachings of Christ.....could you say that your belief system was ever even a part of the Catholic church? 

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 8:59 pm

QueenAmenRa, its because Catholic and Orthodox churches stem from the ORIGINAL Church, established in Rome. As such, any church that formulates its own doctrine and doesn't follow the doctrines of the former, are breaking with the 'original' Church, and are Protestant. That is the way I always understood it from History.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/05 at 9:05 pm

See I totally don't get that.....
I mean Lutheran, Methodist are obviously.  I don't quite know the history of the Presbyterian or the Baptist exactly.....
Why do people say "Any non-Catholic Christian religion is Protestant?"  Protestant means those which originated from protesting or coming out of the Catholic church.  Some Christian sects I'm sure had nothing ever to do with the Catholic church. 
Now I'm not exactly sure when the Catholic church was established but obviously it was long after the NT was available- the Catholic leaders made everybody burn their Bibles and they burnt people they caught reading their Bibles alone.  People were already following certain beliefs before the Catholic church came around so then these people had to hide out in holes and read their Bibles on their own because they obviously did not want to convert to Catholicism.  Well obviously some of those people (or at least their families generations later) survived and still kept their beliefs. 
Now I know that "the" Baptist church and others were founded later than the Catholic church.  But just disregarding religion titles: If you are Christian and you believe in a Sovereign God, and you are following EVERY doctrine of the Bible- not adding anything, not leaving anything out, but following the original teachings of Christ.....could you say that your belief system was ever even a part of the Catholic church? 

So protestant Kings of the past have had Catholics executed for their beliefs. I'm not going to argue catholic vs. protestants, I have no problem with protestants, as long as they respect my beliefs and others beliefs, and not try to convert me.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/19/05 at 9:21 pm

QueenAmenRa, its because Catholic and Orthodox churches stem from the ORIGINAL Church, established in Rome. As such, any church that formulates its own doctrine and doesn't follow the doctrines of the former, are breaking with the 'original' Church, and are Protestant. That is the way I always understood it from History.

What do you mean by the "Original Church?" 
As I understand, the beginning on any NT church began after Christ was resurrected and he gave the Great Commission to the disciples. (Matthew 28:16-20)  But that was not in Rome.  And in vs. 20 he said to "teach them to observa all things whatsoever I have commanded you."  Well I know the Catholic church didn't quite follow ALL of Christ's teachings. 
Anyway, there are of course plenty other churches in the Bible (uh, yeah, who d'ya think Paul was writing all those epistles to?)  The church at Thessolonica, at Ephesus, etc.  Christian churches obviously.  Oh and don't forget the 7 churches John wrote to in Revelation.  Not exactly Rome... So these churches were obviously before the Catholic church, they didn't hold the same beliefs that the Catholics do, and...a lot of people (me included) still hold those exact same beliefs today.  I didn't formulate it.  It's right there in the Bible.  Now I'm an Independent/Sovereign Grace Baptist and no I don't know how the when the word "Baptist" started getting used.  BUT...if the exact belief system I follow came BEFORE, and was never even a PART of the Catholic church....I just cannot consider myself as a Protestant.

Written By: Hairspray on 02/19/05 at 10:19 pm

No, I'm agnostic.  Among religions Buddhism has the most appeal to me.

My thoughts exactly.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 10:48 pm

MY "BEST GUESS"

I'm agnostic like so many here, but this is my best guess on what is the "right" thing to believe in:

Creation:

Our universe was created by the Big Bang, but there were many universes before our own and there will be many after.  Humans were created tens of thousands of years ago by an Alien race from the Pleaides with E.T. genes and this is why we tend to see ourselves as separate from the other beings of the Earth.  Alien leaders eventually became the Gods and Jesus was a wise man who was half E.T. and was trying to save Man from destroying themselves and their planet (a race he is failing). 

Afterlife:

There's no eternal Heaven or Hell.  Souls, a bit of energy present in all life-forms and even in some inanimate objects, have been around forever in some form or another.  When one does they leave the Material Realm and all there is there is Love and Hate.  Heaven all Hell here are the same place, it's the observer's mindset that makes it one or the other.  If you've done ill and have not repented than the beings in this realm will avoid you and you will hate yourself so it will be Hell.  If you've been good and beings love and honor you there it will be Heaven.  That's not to say there aren't varying degrees, but it an immaterial world it's either one or the other. 
Souls that did wrong in the past have a chance to make up for their ills here.  They can incarnate whenever they want, but any wrong they've not paid penance for will became bad Karma in their next life.  Those that are good can become material again whenever they please, just like wrongdoers, only there will be no price in Karma.
When one leaves the Immaterial, or Metaphysical Realm, they're born in some way or another and come back into the Physical Realm.  Since there really isn't Time there's no "Final Destination", and one can never be suspended forever in either realm.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 3:23 am

What I'd like someone to be able to explain to me is if the "Bible" is "truth", then why the need for different sects of "Christianity"?  If there's no room for interpretation, the way it's written is the way it is, then why do some believe one way and some the other?  Wouldn't they all have the same beliefs?  And, why is Catholicism NOT considered a "Christian" religion?

Well I consider it christian, only some protestants don't.

Written By: EthanM on 02/20/05 at 1:03 pm

I think that most Christians do believe that tthe bible is open to at least some interpretation. Those who think it should always be taken literally are called fundamentalists, and even they seeem to pick and choose which parts of the Bible they want to emphasize in order to push a political agenda.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/20/05 at 1:44 pm

What I'd like someone to be able to explain to me is if the "Bible" is "truth", then why the need for different sects of "Christianity"?  If there's no room for interpretation, the way it's written is the way it is, then why do some believe one way and some the other?  Wouldn't they all have the same beliefs?  And, why is Catholicism NOT considered a "Christian" religion?

Catholicism IS "Christian" in the sense that they believe that Jesus Christ was the Messiah.  (That is the general definition of Christian and in that case I have no idea why Jehovah's Witnesses are called Christian).

The reason there are so many different sects is that even though most "Christians" claim the Bible as "truth,"  a lot of them don't like the "unpleasant" parts: the verses that tell the all are sinners, you can only enter the kingdom of heaven through Jesus Christ and not by your own works, and don't even get me started on how many religions refuse to preach election & predestination even though its RIGHT there....
Basically, people don't wanna believe something that's there, so they follow a different religion so they don't have to.

Written By: philbo on 02/20/05 at 4:08 pm

But it's impossible to believe *everything* that's in the Bible: the thing is just too damn contradictory.  Surely (my logical mind says) if there is even a single place where the Bible contradicts itself, then it is just plain impossible for it to be absolute Truth (with a capital T)?

Basically, people don't wanna believe something that's there, so they follow a different religion so they don't have to.

If that were the case, how come nearly all religious bods stay in the same sect or denomination (or even religion) that their parents initially introduced them to?

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/20/05 at 4:15 pm

Yeah if you believed in everything in the Bible, you'd believe most of the same stuff as the Taliban basically.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/20/05 at 5:01 pm

Setting aside the fundamental impossibility of trying to 'prove' or 'validate' your own 'faith', and the futility of asking someone to 'prove' theirs, why are we so compelled to ridicule other peoples' beliefs -- whether we be agnostics, atheists or simply of another faith? 

We may disagree with the socio-political outlook that another person's faith leads them to, but I think people can disagree without resorting to moral and intellectual snobbery.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 5:03 pm

Setting aside the fundamental impossibility of trying to 'prove' or 'validate' your own 'faith', and the futility of asking someone to 'prove' theirs, why are we so compelled to ridicule other peoples' beliefs -- whether we be agnostics, atheists or simply of another faith? 

We may disagree with the socio-political outlook that another person's faith leads them to, but I think people can disagree without resorting to moral and intellectual snobbery.

I agree.  Respect one's beliefs as not as they don't cause them to do ill to other beings.  :)

-FHF :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/20/05 at 6:31 pm

But it's impossible to believe *everything* that's in the Bible: the thing is just too darn contradictory.  Surely (my logical mind says) if there is even a single place where the Bible contradicts itself, then it is just plain impossible for it to be absolute Truth (with a capital T)?

It's not that it's contradictory, but all the verses go together in a way to explain everything God intended you to know.  What parts are you saying are contradictory? (Specific passages, please)

Written By: philbo on 02/21/05 at 9:38 am

What parts are you saying are contradictory? (Specific passages, please)

Well, for 335 contradictions, have a look here - the majority are pretty trivial, but even so are a powerful argument against biblical inerrancy.

As an example:
Matthew.26:63-64
"I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said."

Mark 14:61-62
But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

...in Matthew Jesus refuses to say that he is the Christ; in Mark he explicitly says that he is.  The argument of interpretation (that the two disciples heard the same words, but took them as meaning something slightly different) is surely an argument against biblical truth?

Written By: McDonald on 02/21/05 at 11:53 am

The fact that Catholicism is a form of Christianity is not up for consideration. It is a form of Christianity, and moreso, Catholicism was the starting point of every one of the myriad of Christian sects there are today, with the exception of Coptic Christianity perhaps. The notion that Catholics aren't Christians comes from many generations of misinformation about Catholics and perpetual myths about them, such as the ever popular "Catholics worship Mary, not Jesus" routine. Gotta love that one!

Written By: jackas on 02/21/05 at 8:58 pm

Atheist......I'm too much of a realist to believe in that type of thing.  I just don't see how it could be possible.  I don't look down on those who do believe though, but have found that many of them do look down on my belief.

Written By: Averageguy on 02/21/05 at 11:08 pm

As an example:
Matthew.26:63-64
"I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said."

Mark 14:61-62
But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

...in Matthew Jesus refuses to say that he is the Christ; in Mark he explicitly says that he is.  The argument of interpretation (that the two disciples heard the same words, but took them as meaning something slightly different) is surely an argument against biblical truth?

How is this a contridiction? In Mathew Jesus states "Thou hast said", or "it is as you say"... that He is the Christ. In Mark the answer is "I am" Is it possible the full answer could have been "I am, just as thou hast said"?

Written By: philbo on 02/22/05 at 8:25 am

How is this a contridiction? In Mathew Jesus states "Thou hast said", or "it is as you say"... that He is the Christ. In Mark the answer is "I am" Is it possible the full answer could have been "I am, just as thou hast said"?

Ah... I was taught back in the days when I was at school that the "Thou hast said" meant "I didn't say that, you did", with the full implication that it was not something he was claiming for himself.  But you're absolutely right, this could be uncontradictory... so what about the matter of Jesus' lineage:

Matthew:
1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

1:19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily

Revelations:
22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David."

...the Bible puts a lot into explaining how Joseph is of David's line... how does this square with the Son of God/immaculate conception?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/23/05 at 12:38 pm

Ah... I was taught back in the days when I was at school that the "Thou hast said" meant "I didn't say that, you did", with the full implication that it was not something he was claiming for himself.  But you're absolutely right, this could be uncontradictory... so what about the matter of Jesus' lineage:

Matthew:
1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

1:19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily

Revelations:
22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David."

...the Bible puts a lot into explaining how Joseph is of David's line... how does this square with the Son of God/immaculate conception?

Notice throughout the beginning of Matthew 1: Abraham BEGAT Isaac; and Isaac BEGAT Jacob, etc.
But in verse 16: And Jacob BEGAT Joseph the husband of Mary, OF WHOM WAS BORN JESUS, who is called Christ.
It did not say that Joseph begat Jesus, but he was the legal guardian of Jesus.

Written By: philbo on 02/23/05 at 5:42 pm

But Jesus is described as "of David's line", and even says so himself - what is the point of giving Joseph's full lineage if not to describe this?  Which is it to be, then: Jesus, of the line of David and so on back to Abraham; or Jesus son of God?

Written By: McDonald on 02/24/05 at 2:13 pm

I personally think he was implying that all people are the children of God.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/24/05 at 2:58 pm

I personally think he was implying that all people are the children of God.

???  Uh...no... It is talking about the lineage of Christ.  Besides, only the elect (those who are or will be saved) are the children of God.

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:39 am

check this site out http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/13/05 at 5:43 am

???  Uh...no... It is talking about the lineage of Christ.  Besides, only the elect (those who are or will be saved) are the children of God.

Tee hee..yup, only the elect will be saved.

However, if you can afford to give maybe 2-300 dollars to ol' Pat he'll sort you out.

I love that us Roman Catholics and Jews apparently are so evil.. Jesus was Jewish, and the Roman Catholic church is the base of christianity..oooooohh we're so evil.

Written By: Davester on 03/13/05 at 6:16 am

I vote "Not Really" because I'm a Freethinker and churches are full of shhh.

Was a member of the Southern Baptist Church growing-up...

DevoRule, what is a Freethinker..?

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 6:37 am

Satanist  ;D

Written By: Davester on 03/13/05 at 6:43 am

Satanist  ;D

Egads..!

I saw the devil down the long, long road
   He said to me, boy
   I want your soul
   I said no
   You can’t take my soul
   No
   I said no
   I said no, no
   You can’t take my soul

:P

Written By: danootaandme on 03/13/05 at 7:08 am

All you up there quoting the bible.  What you are quoting are translations of the bible, not the bible.  The original bible was witten in Greek and Hebrew, and there is a lot of people who are Greek and Hebrew scholars all agree that there is much left out, or purposely ....how would you say...slanted..  I know I have  been here before with this.  The prime example is that in the original translation of the meaning of words of that time a "virgin" was an unmarried woman.  I believe that is the primary reason for the breach in the Christian/Jude  traditions.  Mary was an unmarried woman who gave birth to a child, you can imagine how that must have gone over.  The fact that she was not stoned to death alludes to powerful connections. Also the fact that the family was not all that poor, in the history of those times a poor family without connectons would not have been allowed to educate their child.  It is bothersome to me that the Catholic religion stresses the scholarship of Latin as opposed to the scholarship of Greek and Hebrew.  The Protestants would have you only read in English. That says alot to me.
I am with McD on the fact that when Jesus is spoken of as the son of god, it is also implying that we are all children of god, just as much as Jesus.  All that being said...I am not a Christian, as the product of a Catholic/Episcopal home I have had enough of both. 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 5:47 pm

Somebody who isn't grounded with a set rule of what's he/she is to believe/not believe.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 6:09 pm

All you up there quoting the bible. What you are quoting are translations of the bible, not the bible. The original bible was witten in Greek and Hebrew, and there is a lot of people who are Greek and Hebrew scholars all agree that there is much left out, or purposely ....how would you say...slanted.. I know I have been here before with this. The prime example is that in the original translation of the meaning of words of that time a "virgin" was an unmarried woman. I believe that is the primary reason for the breach in the Christian/Jude traditions. Mary was an unmarried woman who gave birth to a child, you can imagine how that must have gone over. The fact that she was not stoned to death alludes to powerful connections. Also the fact that the family was not all that poor, in the history of those times a poor family without connectons would not have been allowed to educate their child. It is bothersome to me that the Catholic religion stresses the scholarship of Latin as opposed to the scholarship of Greek and Hebrew. The Protestants would have you only read in English. That says alot to me.
I am with McD on the fact that when Jesus is spoken of as the son of god, it is also implying that we are all children of god, just as much as Jesus. All that being said...I am not a Christian, as the product of a Catholic/Episcopal home I have had enough of both.

I may be an atheist, but I still find that to be an interesting point. Another is that the title "Lord" in reference to Jesus does not mean Lord in the literal way that people in English-speaking countries think it means. The word was used as just a general title of honor in Hebrew society, and does not signify anything divine on the part of the person its used to refer to.

What am I getting at? Well, i am of the opinion that if a historical Jesus did exist, he did not present himself as the "Son of God" is the belief is today. I think that was manufacted by Paul later on, whom I think had his own agenda that had more to do with becoming powerful than 'saving' people. Take an obscure Jewish sect, just turn it into your own little religion, make it more gentile-friendly and..well, you get the picture. ;) .Oh boy, I hope I 'm not opening too big of a can of worms there. Oh

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 6:11 pm

I may be an atheist, but I still find that to be an interesting point. Another is that the title "Lord" in reference to Jesus does not mean Lord in the literal way that people in English-speaking countries think it means. The word was used as just a general title of honor in Hebrew society, and does not signify anything divine on the part of the person its used to refer to.

What am I getting at? Well, i am of the opinion that if a historical Jesus did exist, he did not present himself as the "Son of God" is the belief is today. I think that was manufacted by Paul later on, whom I think had his own agenda that had more to do with becoming powerful than 'saving' people. Take an obscure Jewish sect, just turn it into your own little religion, make it more gentile-friendly and..well, you get the picture. ;) .Oh boy, I hope I 'm not opening too big of a can of worms there. Oh

Jesus was an ET/human hybrid to wanted to stop Man's stupidity as a race.  So far he's failed.  ::)

Written By: EthanM on 03/13/05 at 10:21 pm

Jesus was a man
Wait, maybe he was a god
Maybe he was a god-man
maybe not, but anyway he was Jesuuuuuuuuuuuus
Christianating the apostles
Christianating some of the Jews
Christianating lots of pagans
In their Roman bath houses
Jesuuuuuuuuuuuuus

if you don't know what i'm talking about you need to go to homestarrunner.com and look at the strong bad email "dragon"

Written By: Harmonica on 03/13/05 at 11:22 pm

So what do you think this historical Jesus did? Was he just a common man? A extraordinarily good man that did good things for people, that went out of his way to help people. The older the stories got, the more exaggerated they became?  I mean by the way you said "That if" I can only imagine that you can possibly perseve Jesus existing.  You don't see Son of God, so who was he? What did he do? Why did his legacy live on? Or do you believe in the Santa Clause effect?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/14/05 at 12:20 am

So what do you think this historical Jesus did? Was he just a common man? A extraordinarily good man that did good things for people, that went out of his way to help people. The older the stories got, the more exaggerated they became? I mean by the way you said "That if" I can only imagine that you can possibly perseve Jesus existing. You don't see Son of God, so who was he? What did he do? Why did his legacy live on? Or do you believe in the Santa Clause effect?

I believe most likely, assuming he existed at all(which I have no opinion of either way), he was just a good person and a spiritual leader who broke with the traditions of his time. He wanted to teach about the way he saw "God" which was different from the clergy, and it caused quite a stir. Perhaps he was also in the same vain as Dr.Marthin Luther King, jr., both a spiritual leader and someone who tried to stand up against corruption. So he was executed. Perhaps as time went on, his followers(who from what I can tell, originally did not intend to break from Judaism), attributed great feats to him. In ancient times it was common to exaggerate the deeds and adventures of revered persons to the point of where they became super natural in nature.

And I think that Paul had his own agenda. He sort of, well, made the sect more gentile friendly and marketed it to Europe. I also think that when Constantine joined up the Roman influence changed a lot of things going on with the religion, bringing in Pagan influences. I think the idea of a divine man being born to a virgin mother is very pagan, and does not seem to correlate with the nature of God shown previously in the Judaic tradition(which seemed to be that God was purely divine, and above interacting with human beings in a 'real' manner)..but if you look at all of the old Pagan religions, "divine humans" were common legends, and infact, many of their deities were considered to be such.

Infact, one of the most common Pagan religions in Rome during the time that Christianity spread was Mithraism, a cult that had come in from Persia..a cult that worshipped a spiritual heretic who was said to be divine, been born of a virgin mother, perform miracles, and to have been killed only later to rise from the dead and ascend to the heavens.

I'm not saying the Christian beliefs about Jesus are a total, latent rip-off of Mithraism..well, actually, I guess I am.

Written By: Davester on 03/14/05 at 5:20 am

I believe most likely, assuming he existed at all(which I have no opinion of either way), he was just a good person and a spiritual leader who broke with the traditions of his time. He wanted to teach about the way he saw "God" which was different from the clergy, and it caused quite a stir. Perhaps he was also in the same vain as Dr.Marthin Luther King, jr., both a spiritual leader and someone who tried to stand up against corruption. So he was executed. Perhaps as time went on, his followers(who from what I can tell, originally did not intend to break from Judaism), attributed great feats to him. In ancient times it was common to exaggerate the deeds and adventures of revered persons to the point of where they became super natural in nature.

Josephus mentions in Antiquities 18. 63-64 a "good" and "virtuous" man who was called Jesus: Had many followers from many nations and was condemned and crucified by Pilatus...

Do I trust Josephus?  Not in all cases.  He's known to exaggerate on occasion and has a tendency to embellish the deeds of his benefactors - the Romans - but I don't feel this an outright lie...

My take on an historical Jesus is less than ethereal.  He was merely one of the few successful "travelling prophets" in that region and at that time (another heavyweight being Shimeon Bar Kokhba, a century later).  He was gaining a frightening amount of popularity in the cities as well as the countryside as a result of the doctrine that He espoused.  The Jewish authorities saw him and his following as a threat to the established order (i.e. their livelihood, relevance, relationship with Rome).  Passover was in full swing with Jerusalem filled to overcrowding with pilgrims from far and wide.  The Romans were paranoid of such circumstances because of the potential for revolt and smashed any uprising, major or minor; express or implied with a vengeance.  He was snatched from the street by Jewish authorities, accused of sedition, handed over to the Romans and executed in the usual way. Routine. Nothing special here.  The Roman Procurator probably never even knew Jesus' name, much less interviewed Him...but...

And I think that Paul had his own agenda. He sort of, well, made the sect more gentile friendly and marketed it to Europe. I also think that when Constantine joined up the Roman influence changed a lot of things going on with the religion, bringing in Pagan influences. I think the idea of a divine man being born to a virgin mother is very pagan, and does not seem to correlate with the nature of God shown previously in the Judaic tradition(which seemed to be that God was purely divine, and above interacting with human beings in a 'real' manner)..but if you look at all of the old Pagan religions, "divine humans" were common legends, and infact, many of their deities were considered to be such.

I agree with your analysis of early Christianity.  Yeah, the crossover from paganism to Chritianity would be smoothed a bit by retaining some of the trappings of paganism.  There are many parallels between the two; The virgin birth, the traditional day of Christmas falling on the Roman "Saturnalia" and others...either way, you still get your feast..!

Infact, one of the most common Pagan religions in Rome during the time that Christianity spread was Mithraism, a cult that had come in from Persia..a cult that worshipped a spiritual heretic who was said to be divine, been born of a virgin mother, perform miracles, and to have been killed only later to rise from the dead and ascend to the heavens.

I'm not saying the Christian beliefs about Jesus are a total, latent rip-off of Mithraism..well, actually, I guess I am.

"If Christianity had been checked in it's growth by some deadly disease, the world would have become Mithraic"

-Joseph Renan

Written By: whitewolf on 03/14/05 at 1:41 pm

yes I am Christian, I believe that God created the universe, created man, and sent his son, Jesus to save us and I also believe in life after death.

However I do not believe in all of what the bible tells us, I believe it is based partly on fact and partly on what people assumed was fact.

Written By: philbo on 03/14/05 at 4:08 pm

Josephus mentions in Antiquities 18. 63-64 a "good" and "virtuous" man who was called Jesus: Had many followers from many nations and was condemned and crucified by Pilatus...

Do I trust Josephus? Not in all cases. He's known to exaggerate on occasion and has a tendency to embellish the deeds of his benefactors - the Romans - but I don't feel this an outright lie...

There's considerable evidence that the passages in Josephus that mention Jesus are later interpolations, presumably by Christians wanting to firm up their cause.  Not that even Josephus was contemporary: there are no contemporary accounts of Jesus' life, which is in itself odd if he was such an earth-shaking character.

And I think that Paul had his own agenda. He sort of, well, made the sect more gentile friendly and marketed it to Europe. I also think that when Constantine joined up the Roman influence changed a lot of things going on with the religion, bringing in Pagan influences.

Christianity as we know it today has a lot more to do with Paul than any of the others (which is one reason why the ridiculous misogyny has lasted so long: Paul didn't seem to like women much).  Then, when you factor in Constantine's influence... now there's a dude who really knew how to turn a whole religion his way: make up a story about a flaming cross on the battlefield, then claim that you're God's only mouthpiece.  Makes Tony Blair seem like a rank amateur ;)

Written By: Davester on 03/14/05 at 4:41 pm

There's considerable evidence that the passages in Josephus that mention Jesus are later interpolations, presumably by Christians wanting to firm up their cause.  Not that even Josephus was contemporary: there are no contemporary accounts of Jesus' life, which is in itself odd if he was such an earth-shaking character.

No doubt...

The more widely known Greek version of Antiquities goes on to describe "this man" as a "doer of wonders", asks if it would be "lawful to call him a man?" and states he was known as "The Christ" to both Jew and Gentile".

The source I refer-to in the reply above is the "watered down" 10th century Arabic translation...

Tacitus also writes in Annals 15.44.2-8: 

"Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome..."

There are serious problems with both accounts, but all interpolations?  Could be.  Hard to tell.  Seems as if, in the case of Tacitus, he was merely repeating something told to him.  Especially by the way Jesus is referred to as Christ in an imperial text...

Written By: philbo on 03/14/05 at 5:25 pm

I've always kind of assumed Tacitus was telling it as it seemed at the time: there were Christians around (though to what extent they were actually persecuted by Nero varies from historian to historian), and his comment about "Christus" in no way implies that he knew whether Christ existed or not - simply that 80 or so years on some people in Rome believed this.

Josephus, OTOH, seems to have written barely anything about Jesus, but what few passages do are ridiculously OTT:
“Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure."
...if Josephus really was this sold on the story of Jesus (especially in the use of the word "truth"), I'm surprised he never converted to Christianity himself.

Incidental aside (if I'm not repeating myself - I get the feeling I've said this already): any ideas why there is such an emphasis placed on the lineage of Joseph going back to King David, if Joseph wasn't Jesus' real father?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/15/05 at 2:12 am

Yes, I am a Christian....I accepted Christ as Savior in 1980 and was baptized in 1981.....I do read the Bible although I don't attend church regularly....No I don't hand out tracts or attempt to 'Christianize' everyone...I do share my faith with those who ask about God and Jesus....but I KNOW 'you can lead the horse to water but you cannot make him drink'...also I believe that ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS...I do some volunteer work teaching computer skills,and I create and print get-well and holiday greeting cards for the members of my adult day care center...I believe that acts of kindness speak louder than any little religious tract!

Written By: Dagwood on 03/15/05 at 8:21 am

You are right, Tony20fan.  I think most of the bad attitudes about Christians in general come from people not practicing what they preach.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/15/05 at 8:39 am

What I don't appreciate is people, when I ask them, telling me that I'm going to hell because I was raised Catholic.

Nothing you can do about that, after all the Catholic Church only started Christianity. It's sooooo obviously b-a-d!

Written By: philbo on 03/15/05 at 6:04 pm

Nothing you can do about that, after all the Catholic Church only started Christianity. It's sooooo obviously b-a-d!

No, it didn't: Christianity was becoming a noticeable minority religion, then Constantine "converted" and made a Catholic church with himself at the helm as the first Holy Roman Emperor that was close to the antithesis of what current Christians believed.  But that wasn't till the 4th century AD, anyway.  So you can't argue that the Catholics "started" Christianity, or are even very close to its original tenets.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/15/05 at 8:30 pm

No, it didn't: Christianity was becoming a noticeable minority religion, then Constantine "converted" and made a Catholic church with himself at the helm as the first Holy Roman Emperor that was close to the antithesis of what current Christians believed. But that wasn't till the 4th century AD, anyway. So you can't argue that the Catholics "started" Christianity, or are even very close to its original tenets.
Actually the Bible states that Jesus gave the apostle Peter the responsibility for starting the Christian churches....People like Constantine and Martin Luther just were part of the Church's evolution...

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/15/05 at 9:12 pm

Actually the Bible states that Jesus gave the apostle Peter the responsibility for starting the Christian churches....People like Constantine and Martin Luther just were part of the Church's evolution...

Thats what the BIBLE says. We are dealing more in history. And basically all churches now are offshoots of Paul's. Considering this fact, Paul surely had a much more lasting influence as to what the religion was than any others before him, even Jesus himself(assuming for sure a historical person existed). Also it would be foolish to deny's Constantine's eminence in the development of the religion. As founder of the Roman Catholic Church, he could pretty much dictate what the religion was according to his own whims.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/05 at 10:42 pm

I am definitely a christian!

Erin :)

Written By: jiminy on 03/15/05 at 11:07 pm

My thoughts about Christians is that they have instilled such a fear into people the believe blindly and don't think for themselves, all one needs to do is look at some of the ridiculous claims in the bible that are supposed to be true and think of these claims out of the context of the bible and you would surely just laugh. If a man came up to you tomorrow and claimed to be Jesus, would you believe him?...according to the bible he is coming back so this man might be telling the truth.
Girls, try coming home pregnant and explaining it was divine intervention, I'm sure that one would go over well. If you have ever read the bible and you are female, you don't have to read to far to see that you are a second class citizen in the bible, you was created from Adams rib none the less. There was an original woman made of the earth the same way as Adam, her name was Lilith but she is now regarded as evil, I guess because she had a mind of her own. Did you know it's considered unholy and dirty for a menstruating woman to enter a church?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/15/05 at 11:34 pm

My thoughts about Christians is that they have instilled such a fear into people the believe blindly and don't think for themselves, all one needs to do is look at some of the ridiculous claims in the bible that are supposed to be true and think of these claims out of the context of the bible and you would surely just laugh. If a man came up to you tomorrow and claimed to be Jesus, would you believe him?...according to the bible he is coming back so this man might be telling the truth.
Girls, try coming home pregnant and explaining it was divine intervention, I'm sure that one would go over well. If you have ever read the bible and you are female, you don't have to read to far to see that you are a second class citizen in the bible, you was created from Adams rib none the less. There was an original woman made of the earth the same way as Adam, her name was Lilith but she is now regarded as evil, I guess because she had a mind of her own. Did you know it's considered unholy and dirty for a menstruating woman to enter a church?

Thank you.

I never have understood the mentality of some people to stubbornly call themselves Christians while disagreeing with all of this. I'm sorry, but it is all right there in the Bible itself. Which is what Christianity is based on. Calling yourself something, while at the same time saying its not REALLY about "so and so" even though the text its BASED ON says it is, is asinine. Thats like calling yourself a National Socialist but saying you believe in equality for the whole world, and its all really about peace and love. Despite what "Mein Kampf" says. :D

Written By: jiminy on 03/16/05 at 12:04 am

Thank you.

I never have understood the mentality of some people to stubbornly call themselves Christians while disagreeing with all of this. I'm sorry, but it is all right there in the Bible itself. Which is what Christianity is based on. Calling yourself something, while at the same time saying its not REALLY about "so and so" even though the text its BASED ON says it is, is asinine. Thats like calling yourself a National Socialist but saying you believe in equality for the whole world, and its all really about peace and love. Despite what "Mein Kampf" says. :D

They don't want to take the good with the bad, they like to "cherry pick" then you have some extreme groups who will take one tiny verse out of context and start a religion about it, snake handlers are a good example of this and the practice of polygamy is another example

Written By: Dagwood on 03/16/05 at 8:23 am

Thank you.

Those rules (menstruating women for one) are from the old testament.  The clean and unclean rules went out with Peter in the new testament.  I will have to look it up later, I am late for work.  i

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/16/05 at 8:26 am

I said "Kinda"

I am not in the strict sense of the word.  I don't go to Church.  I don't believe that lessens me in any way - if others would choose to disagree that would be their issue to deal with, not mine.  I don't NEED to do that to exist...

I said kinda, because I consider that I follow the basic tenets of what might be considered christian behaviour/ethics/standards.  And I do consider I manage to do it a lot better than some people I know personally who would get up and beat their chests and make a big thing about the whole deal  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/16/05 at 8:42 am

You're a good man Charlie Brown Fuss!!! ;)

:)  Who said you were crazy, mom ?  :)

Seriously though, in a way you made the point I was trying to make much more succinctly than I did  :o

Yes, I think I *am* - and to me - that's what matters  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/05 at 12:18 pm

I think, in people's everyday lives, that is truly what matters.  I'm like you, I don't necessarily follow one "defined" religion, but I try to live my life as good as I can.  Sure, I might fail from time to time, but IMO, that makes me human....not necessarily a "bad" person ;)

You hit the nail on the head. We do the best we can.

Cat

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/16/05 at 8:01 pm

I said "Kinda"

I am not in the strict sense of the word.  I don't go to Church.  I don't believe that lessens me in any way - if others would choose to disagree that would be their issue to deal with, not mine.  I don't NEED to do that to exist...

I said kinda, because I consider that I follow the basic tenets of what might be considered christian behaviour/ethics/standards.  And I do consider I manage to do it a lot better than some people I know personally who would get up and beat their chests and make a big thing about the whole deal  ;)

I used to be Christian but then it dawned upon me the only reason I'm so sure it's true is because I was taught it was.  I do (try to) follow morals that are the same as Christian ones, but there are some Christian morals I simply can't stand for, esp. those towards animals and homosexuals.  I do believe in their whole "Love one another", "be generous and kind", and "forgive people" thing, though :)

Although really a lot of it is the same as Buddhism or Confucianism.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/16/05 at 8:20 pm

Thank you.

That's like saying you can't call yourself a believer in the fundamentals of American democracy if you don't believe that blacks are worth 3/5 of a white man, and that women shouldn't be allowed to vote.  Most Christians don't take everything in the Bible literally, they just don't amend it formally as has been done with the U.S. Constitution.

Those who don't believe in the Bible, shouldn't follow it.  If Christianity's not your bag, don't practice it.  But it's just plain bigotry to start labelling Christians as evil hypocrites just because there are Christians who conduct themselves in un-Christlike ways.  I've known a LOT of Christians for a LOT of years and I've never met anyone guilty of the self-righteous 'ramming their beliefs down other people's throats' or 'telling people they're sinners and they're going to Hell' stuff that people often cite as their reasons for Christian-bashing or religion-bashing in general.  I think most Christians know that the Bible was written by people who lived in a certain time, and that the text reflects the biases, prejudices and social standards of that time.  Just like the U.S. Constitution, or any other document written by fallible, imperfect, biased human beings.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/16/05 at 8:59 pm

Those rules (menstruating women for one) are from the old testament. The clean and unclean rules went out with Peter in the new testament. I will have to look it up later, I am late for work. i

The 'menstruation laws' for women are in the OLD Testament.....most of the basis for Christianity is actually found in the New Testament.......and please try to respect my right to believe in what I choose to believe in. There is room on this messageboard for people who 'agree to disagree'....just try to respect people and most people will give you the same.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/16/05 at 9:17 pm

That's like saying you can't call yourself a believer in the fundamentals of American democracy if you don't believe that blacks are worth 3/5 of a white man, and that women shouldn't be allowed to vote.  Most Christians don't take everything in the Bible literally, they just don't amend it formally as has been done with the U.S. Constitution.

Those who don't believe in the Bible, shouldn't follow it.  If Christianity's not your bag, don't practice it.  But it's just plain bigotry to start labelling Christians as evil hypocrites just because there are Christians who conduct themselves in un-Christlike ways.  I've known a LOT of Christians for a LOT of years and I've never met anyone guilty of the self-righteous 'ramming their beliefs down other people's throats' or 'telling people they're sinners and they're going to Hell' stuff that people often cite as their reasons for Christian-bashing or religion-bashing in general.  I think most Christians know that the Bible was written by people who lived in a certain time, and that the text reflects the biases, prejudices and social standards of that time.  Just like the U.S. Constitution, or any other document written by fallible, imperfect, biased human beings.

If they accept that the document isn't infallible(by 'amending' as you say), then that invalidates the entire religion.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/16/05 at 11:02 pm

If they accept that the document isn't infallible(by 'amending' as you say), then that invalidates the entire religion.

Invalidates it to whom?  Those who don't believe in it in the first place?  ???

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/16/05 at 11:05 pm

I don't think any of us are saying ALL Christians are evil hypocrites, I know quite a few who are very respectful of other people's beliefs.  I have, however, experienced much of the "you're going to hell...blah, blah, blah" in  my life.  Heck, even on the "old" version of this board, it was said that "anyone who has not accepted Christ as their savior will not be going to heaven."  And, I'm sure we all know what the implication of that is.  Have you ever lived in a small town?  I think this type of behavior is more eminent in them.  My best friend dated a guy in high school whose parents would not let her in their house because she was "one of 'those' Catholics"

Well, clearly some Christians are un-Christlike.  In certain town or regions, probably a lot of them are.  In the American South, many whites are racist bigots, but that doesn't mean it's responsible or constructive for black people to go off half-cocked about how racist 'white people' are.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/17/05 at 12:07 am

Invalidates it to whom? Those who don't believe in it in the first place? ???

Um, Christianity is based on the Bible which is supposed to be the word of God. Therefore infallible. If you decide it isn't infallible, how can it be the true word of God? And if it isn't, then that invalidates the entire religion. So why be Christian?

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/17/05 at 12:09 am

Um, Christianity is based on the Bible which is supposed to be the word of God. Therefore infallible. If you decide it isn't infallible, how can it be the true word of God? And if it isn't, then that invalidates the entire religion. So why be Christian?

The Bible was written by people.  Human beings.  Homo Sapiens.  Earthlings.  Who interpreted the 'word of God' as best they could, given their own cultural biases.  Now that may not fit your stereotype of the way 'Christians' think, but I'm afraid wacky televangelists and hell-fire and brimstone loudmouths just call more attention to themselves than honest, thoughtful, spiritual, everyday Christians.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/17/05 at 1:48 am

The Bible was written by people.  Human beings.  Homo Sapiens.  Earthlings.  Who interpreted the 'word of God' as best they could, given their own cultural biases.  Now that may not fit your stereotype of the way 'Christians' think, but I'm afraid wacky televangelists and hell-fire and brimstone loudmouths just call more attention to themselves than honest, thoughtful, spiritual, everyday Christians.

If it was written by men, how can i still be 'the word of God'?

There is no reason to believe in something if you..don't believe in it(and essentially,by admitting the human error of the Bible, you are invalidating the whole text because it presents itself as the word of God).

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/17/05 at 2:07 am

On a semi-related note..

What does the agnostic dyslexic insomniac do?

..He stays up all night wondering if there really is a Dog.

Written By: jiminy on 03/17/05 at 9:05 am

Well, for the sake of debate, let's assume that it truly is "God's Word" and he chose humans to "write it".....dontcha think he would make absolute sure that what the "men" were writing was 100% accurate?  If so, then how can it be "subject to human error and cultural bias"?
If I wasn't so lazy I'd rewrite the bible and call it the gospel according to Jiminy   :D

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/17/05 at 9:48 am

If it was written by men, how can i still be 'the word of God'?

Well, it isn't unless you accept that it is and choose that as the way you want to live your life.

It seems as though you're looking to prove something or disprove something for which there is no absolute.  It's not truth in an absolute, SCIENTIFIC sense.  It's only 'true' if you accept it as such -- it's that simple.  Faith can become a 'truth' for a believer in the sense that they choose to order their lives around it.  But it isn't EVERYONE'S 'truth' (unless, somehow, every single person chooses that truth for himself/herself. 

Sure, anyone can define someone as 'not really a Christian' if they don't literally accept everything written in this somewhat arbitrary collection of historical documents called 'The Bible'.  Christians do it to each other, so I suppose it's to be expected that non-Christians would do the same. 

In the same fashion, Americans claim others are not 'real Americans' if they don't believe in this or that, or Democrats and Republicans dismiss others as 'not real Democrats' and 'not real Republicans'...

But I'm not sure what postive purpose that kind of thing is intended to serve...

Written By: Brian Damaged on 03/17/05 at 2:03 pm

Yes!  I'm Christian!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/17/05 at 8:43 pm

In the town where I live there are people from many different countries/cultures/faiths.....and it's kinda cool to actually talk to these people and learn about the way they live....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/20/05 at 8:55 pm

I know my faith in God has helped me deal with my issues.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/20/05 at 9:52 pm

despite my seething hatred for God, i still believe in Him and i count myself as a christian.

Written By: Apricot on 03/20/05 at 9:56 pm

seething hatred? Why? I'm not gonna try to do the "NO! GOD LOVES YOU! YOU'RE JUST NOT SUBMITTING ENOUGH!" crap, I'm just curious.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/20/05 at 10:04 pm

seething hatred? Why? I'm not gonna try to do the "NO! GOD LOVES YOU! YOU'RE JUST NOT SUBMITTING ENOUGH!" crap, I'm just curious.

i see him as an absintee father who neglected his children in our time of need.

Check for new replies or respond here...