» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Environment

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 2:39 am

I'm usually pro-environment.  :)  I can't stand so many people thinking our forests should be cut and our air polluted for temporary economical gain.  >:(

Subject: Re: Environment

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 8:41 am

I am between. I am pro business as long as businesses take responsibility for their share in environmental issues.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 9:03 am

The enivornment is important, but hey who's gonna give two hots about the environment if we are living in Communist Russia ;D

Big business, although loathsome, is essential for us to have the standard of living we are used to. However big business also needs to clean up after it'self IMO.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/05 at 9:26 am

You can be both, it is a matter of responsibility on the part of each.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/06/05 at 1:00 pm

I voted Pro-Environment, but I'm really between. As long as responsibility for the Earth, I'm all for business. However, without the Earth, there's no business, okay!

Tanya

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/06/05 at 3:48 pm

I'm in the middle, I'm not one of those liberal extremists, because some of them go way too far in their definitions of protecting the enviroment, but I do believe we should be enviromentally aware, and so should big business.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/06/05 at 5:02 pm

I voted environment.  Left to itself businmess will always put the bottom line over any and every consideration, even if it means "killing the goose".  For example, and I guess most  of you never heard this, but back in the early '60s there was a river, in Ohio I think, that CAUGHT FIRE because it was soooo polluted.  The Connecticut River use to change color based on the color dye the textile mills were using.  The problem for the US and other (even more) environmentally sesitive countries is that businesses in the third world face many fewer regs and therefore can out-compete firms that stay and conform to those stricter regs.  On the other hand, some firms have found that being environmentally sensitive is good business - not Union Carbide though, do the name Bohpal ring a bell?

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/08/05 at 7:49 pm

I'm in the middle, because Indiana has lots of issues with both. While I disdain the random killing of animals for sport and destruction of trees, there are a lot of businesses here, such as Lilly, Conseco, and industrial jobs, that would mean the economic collapse of our state if they leave here or fold. The Broad Ripple area is a hodgepodge of history wildlife (eg ducks), small businesses, bars and entertainment, with little room for parking. If that whole villiage were to go out of business, the state's revenue would decline drastically. If nature or parks were to be eliminated, it would be a less desirable area to live and work. It's really a lose-lose situation. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/05 at 8:19 pm

I voted environment.  Left to itself businmess will always put the bottom line over any and every consideration, even if it means "killing the goose".  For example, and I guess most  of you never heard this, but back in the early '60s there was a river, in Ohio I think, that CAUGHT FIRE because it was soooo polluted.  The Connecticut River use to change color based on the color dye the textile mills were using.  The problem for the US and other (even more) environmentally sesitive countries is that businesses in the third world face many fewer regs and therefore can out-compete firms that stay and conform to those stricter regs.  On the other hand, some firms have found that being environmentally sensitive is good business - not Union Carbide though, do the name Bohpal ring a bell?

I agree 100%.  I am pro-environment.  We are in ecological deep sh*t, and without an inhabitable planet, all other issues are meaningless.  We all may have to make a few lifestyle adjustments in the coming decades...if we want our decades to keep coming!
Anyway, "pro-environment" and "pro-business" are not mutually exclusive.  "Pro-environment" and "parasitic fatcat irresponsible unaccountable robber baron corporations" may be mutually exclusive, and if so, good riddance!
::) :o

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/08/05 at 8:32 pm

I agree 100%. I am pro-environment. We are in ecological deep sh*t, and without an inhabitable planet, all other issues are meaningless. We all may have to make a few lifestyle adjustments in the coming decades...if we want our decades to keep coming!
Anyway, "pro-environment" and "pro-business" are not mutually exclusive. "Pro-environment" and "parasitic fatcat irresponsible unaccountable robber baron corporations" may be mutually exclusive, and if so, good riddance!
::) :o

I agree 100%.  :)  I have a brother who says business and ecology are incompatible and to be eco-friendly today would destroy the economy.  I disagree, I think it's essential.  Many Christians don't think animals are sentient either and think the Universe and/or world is a giant giftbasket "From God to Mankind" and we have the right to destroy it if we want.  ::)

What's the economy without the Earth?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/05 at 9:17 pm

I agree 100%.  :)  I have a brother who says business and ecology are incompatible and to be eco-friendly today would destroy the economy.  I disagree, I think it's essential.  Many Christians don't think animals are sentient either and think the Universe and/or world is a giant giftbasket "From God to Mankind" and we have the right to destroy it if we want.   ::)

What's the economy without the Earth?

I'm surprised more self-proclaimed Christians aren't staunch environmentalists.  For one thing, if you wanna be pro-life, you need life-supporting planet.  For another God gave unto man dominion over nature. Some Christians get this all wrong.  They think: "and God said strip mine it to h#ll, kill the last tree, it's your joint now!"  When they should think: "God gave us the keys to his condo, we better not trash the place!"
:o
The world can no longer afford the giant multinational corporation as the chief conveyor of wealth and culture.  There are other workable economic scenarios out there.  The multinational corporations know they have a throne to defend.  That is why they, who control the media, spew out nonstop propaganda about how the "free market" (read "giant corporate") is the greatest system ever devised and positively nothing else will work.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/09/05 at 6:22 pm

I'm surprised more self-proclaimed Christians aren't staunch environmentalists.  For one thing, if you wanna be pro-life, you need life-supporting planet.  For another God gave unto man dominion over nature. Some Christians get this all wrong.  They think: "and God said strip mine it to h#ll, kill the last tree, it's your joint now!"  When they should think: "God gave us the keys to his condo, we better not trash the place!"
:o
The world can no longer afford the giant multinational corporation as the chief conveyor of wealth and culture.  There are other workable economic scenarios out there.  The multinational corporations know they have a throne to defend.  That is why they, who control the media, spew out nonstop propaganda about how the "free market" (read "giant corporate") is the greatest system ever devised and positively nothing else will work.

Absolutely.  And guess what!  Those giant corporations are not the primary vehicle for economic growth.  In Vermont we have 1 giant corporation, Big Blue, but it is not the motor of our economy.  Tourism, education, and small business are much more important, both idividually and collectively, than IBM.  All, in one way or another, depend on our "ecologically friendly" image. 

There are problems with every economic system I have studied, but clearly, all depend on an environment that can sustain life.  I'm to tired now to expand.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/05 at 7:17 pm

Definatelly pro-enviroment.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 02/12/05 at 5:17 pm

I'm a lot like Bobby, "inbetween".

I'm all for technology and advancement of mankind, but I love this Earth and a lot of  the life that inhabits it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/13/05 at 3:23 pm

I'm a lot like Bobby, "inbetween".

I'm all for technology and advancement of mankind, but I love this Earth and a lot of  the life that inhabits it.

I think one has to do more than just love the earth and its creatures.  Every day some plant or animal goes extinct, and habitat is lost all the time.  I'm no tree hugger, but we are in the midst of one of the biggest extictions in earth history, and in large measure, we are causing it.

Written By: Harmonica on 02/13/05 at 3:46 pm

I think one has to do more than just love the earth and its creatures.  Every day some plant or animal goes extinct, and habitat is lost all the time.  I'm no tree hugger, but we are in the midst of one of the biggest extictions in earth history, and in large measure, we are causing it.

Amen to that Carlos...which might explain why I've done "Adopt A highway projects" where you clean up all the trash on the side, and Why I've donated money to "save the whales."

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/16/05 at 3:29 pm

Amen to that Carlos...which might explain why I've done "Adopt A highway projects" where you clean up all the trash on the side, and Why I've donated money to "save the whales."

Both commendable.  I also support environmental activist groups, but we also need to focus on the political.  Pulling out of the Koyoto Pact was IMO deplorable.  Refusing to require stricter gas milage standards for both cars and trucks is unforgivable on both the environmental and the energy fronts.  Weakening pollution standards is a travesty.  So while I really get off on whales - marvelous creatures, ever been on a whale watch? and clean highways are great, we must pressure our polititians to do more about the bigger threats that we little folk have no direct control over.  Our grandchildrens' lives just might depend on it.

Written By: jaytee on 02/16/05 at 7:40 pm

Environment for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...