» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Prayer and government meetings

Written By: MooRocca on 02/07/05 at 12:19 pm

Now that you've answered the poll, even if only in your head, read this article:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780631873&path=!news&s=1045855934842

(Poll settings:  no expiration, 1 selection, vote changes allowed, anyone can see results)

Subject: Re: Prayer and government meetings

Written By: karen on 02/07/05 at 12:28 pm

I went for yes, always.  But I think they should be from all faiths.  I read something from the 18th chapter of Gita as an opener to a Scout Leaders meeting.  It gives people time to clear their heads and get ready for the meeting itself.

there was a hooha locally when someone from the local pagan group read a prayer to open the local council meeting the other week.  Funny that they didn't object when someone from the Hindu Temple in town did something last year

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/05 at 12:36 pm

I voted for never because it is usually a Christain prayer and being a non-Christain, my religious beliefs are usually excluded. When I was on the Board of Directors of our local charity, I was ALWAYS subjected to a Christain prayer at the start of our meetings even though many KNEW I wasn't a Christain. I felt disrespected. (A side note, I thought it was very "interesting" that whoever gave the prayer, never ONCE prayed that our services would someday no longer be needed. HMMMMM)

In terms of the article, as a witch myself, I have to YOU GO GIRL!!  If they MUST have a prayer, I don't see why there can't be a Wiccan prayer, or a Jewish, or a Islamic prayer or a Buddist prayer at that. That is the problem with having prayers at meetings like that. Not everyone is the same religion and there is always someone who gets excluded. So, again, I stand by my answer-NEVER.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/05 at 1:54 pm

No way! Talk to the old man in the sky on your own time.  We've got work to do around here.

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/07/05 at 2:00 pm

No way! Talk to the old man in the sky on your own time.  We've got work to do around here.

Ditto.  Never.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/07/05 at 3:24 pm

I voted never.  Meeting of public bodies are SECULAR.  If members of those bodies want devine intervention, let them ask for it on their own time.

KEEP YOUR RELIGION OUT OF MY GOVERNMENT

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/05 at 6:49 am

Yup!

Written By: philbo on 02/08/05 at 1:19 pm

Especially after finding out that our education secretary is a member of Opus Dei, I reckon holding religious beliefs should disbar people from seeking any position of political power whatsoever. :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/05 at 1:46 pm

Especially after finding out that our education secretary is a member of Opus Dei, I reckon holding religious beliefs should disbar people from seeking any position of political power whatsoever. :(

I've heard of Opus Dei. What do they believe again?

Written By: McDonald on 02/08/05 at 1:59 pm

Never. It is virtually impossible to accomadate all religions and so it should just be done away with. Besides, it's not necessary. Does having a prayer or not determine how well you will work? Not really. Especially if you're alienating members of your group by doing it. Religion and government will be seperate.

Written By: philbo on 02/08/05 at 6:48 pm

To (over)simplify, they believe in doing God's work.  Precisely why in some cases this seems to involve scourging oneself, I'm not entirely sure.  He's a pretty mixed-up character, is God.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/08/05 at 6:49 pm

Was just about to answer Philbo.

They are as literal as you get..they seem to be Masochistic as they inflict pain on themselves (to purify).

Pretty messed up suckas really.. they were in the book 'The da Vinci code'

Written By: philbo on 02/08/05 at 6:56 pm

I wouldn't take the albino from the Da Vinci code as typical, though: he was being manipulated by a pretender... having said that, the fanaticism with which he obeyed orders to kill may well be there.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/08/05 at 6:57 pm

I wouldn't take the albino from the Da Vinci code as typical, though: he was being manipulated by a pretender... having said that, the fanaticism with which he obeyed orders to kill may well be there.

They are somewhat similar... (obviously not all albino) all the locations and devices dan brown talked about are used. They have got in trouble for a lot of em.

Check for new replies or respond here...