» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Georgia state supreme court upholds life sentence for 13-year-old boy

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/08/05 at 12:41 pm

State supreme court upholds ruling for teen killer 'Little B'
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
02/07/05

The Georgia Supreme Court has unanimously affirmed the 1997 life sentence for a then 13-year-old boy who gunned down a father in front of his two sons, according to a ruling released Monday.

Lawyers for Michael Lewis — known as "Little B" — argued last fall that a judge never considered whether he was competent to be tried as an adult in the shooting death of 23-year-old Darrell Woods. Prosecutors said Lewis shot Woods because he felt disrespected after Woods did not turn off his headlights when Lewis asked.

In Georgia, anyone older than 13 charged with a serious violent crime goes automatically to adult court unless a prosecutor waives the case to juvenile court.

During his trial, Lewis was labeled a "cold-blooded thug" and "super predator" by the prosecution and experts. A Fulton County jury found Lewis guilty of murder and aggravated assault and he was sentenced to life in prison.

Link: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/0205/07lewis.html

Subject: Re: Georgia state supreme court upholds life sentence for 13-year-old boy

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/05 at 1:44 pm

Well, look, the guy had it coming!  Anybody who doesn't turn off their headlights when you ask them to deserves to die!
:D
Let me guess, kiddo was driving a stolen car at the time?  What does the B stand for? Can only guess.
Hope they treat him real good in prison so he can live a full 70 years behind bars.  Have fun kid!  Your tax dollars at work.

Subject: Re: Georgia state supreme court upholds life sentence for 13-year-old boy

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/08/05 at 2:12 pm

Prosecutors said Lewis shot Woods because he felt disrespected after Woods did not turn off his headlights when Lewis asked.

Well, he must be feeling really disrepected now.

Written By: AL-B on 02/08/05 at 2:54 pm

I'm glad they put this little "B" away for life. I'll bet that right after he got arrested, he probably assumed that he'd be released when he turned 18, and that this crime would be erased from his record. Surprise!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/08/05 at 6:11 pm

I'm glad the kid got life too.  That is the dumbest murder I've ever heard.  >:( 

I'm also glad they didn't do death sentence though, imo nobody who commits a crime under the age of 18 should get death. Like Alkie said, they can't vote so why should they be executed! Also if they were kids at the time of the crime they should get a chance to redeem themselves in prison.  But they should NOT be free, that's not fair to law abiders.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/09/05 at 7:01 am

I wish they did.  But Georgia law states that to get the death penalty, you must be 16 or older at the time of the crime.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/09/05 at 7:53 am

I want more of an accountability in this.  A thirteen year old doesn't wake up one day and turn
into a killer.  Parents/guardians are held accoutable for kids that don't go to school, so why aren't they held
accountable when kid murders?

Written By: whitewolf on 02/09/05 at 8:20 am

I want more of an accountability in this.  A thirteen year old doesn't wake up one day and turn
into a killer.  Parents/guardians are held accoutable for kids that don't go to school, so why aren't they held

I agree, when my kid even gets into a fight at school,first thing they ask me is if there is anything going on at home making him angry or upset to cause this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/05 at 11:03 am

I agree with you, but America seems to have trouble listening to things it doesn't want to hear.  The conservatives especially like to paint individuals as evil, children of the devil, rather than examine underlying social dysfunctionalities.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/09/05 at 5:43 pm

I agree with you, but America seems to have trouble listening to things it doesn't want to hear. The conservatives especially like to paint individuals as evil, children of the devil, rather than examine underlying social dysfunctionalities.

I agree.  Wouldn't you say "evil" is a product of human instinct, poverty, psychosis, abuse, and greed?
That's why the Bible says one should not be judgemental (although I don't take a Bible as a life guide and I am a Freethinker).

Written By: McDonald on 02/10/05 at 1:30 pm

I concur. Just today in History class, the professor mentioned that recent studies show that one's frontal lobe of the brain isn't fully developed until age 19 or 20. It just so happens that this area is that which controls reasoning and critical thinking. With that in mind, how can a 13 year old with incompetent frontal lobe developement be treated the same as an actual adult whose reasoning skills are at normal levels? Even if one is an adult but doesn't display normal reasoning skills is tried as mentally handicapped.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/05 at 10:58 pm

I agree.  Wouldn't you say "evil" is a product of human instinct, poverty, psychosis, abuse, and greed?
That's why the Bible says one should not be judgemental (although I don't take a Bible as a life guide and I am a Freethinker).

While I believe that a poor upbringing can certainly create a little monster, I also believe that some people, regardless of how they are brought up or provisioned, are simply evil.

Those kind of peopletake advantage of those who deny the presence of evil.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/10/05 at 11:00 pm

While I believe that a poor upbringing can certainly create a little monster, I also believe that some people, regardless of how they are brought up or provisioned, are simply evil.

Those kind of peopletake advantage of those who deny the presence of evil.

You could be right, LyricBoy.  I think "evil" in that case is really the result of an abnormal mind, me not being religious.  But yes, there are some truly twisted people with good upbringing.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/05 at 7:40 am

I concur. Just today in History class, the professor mentioned that recent studies show that one's frontal lobe of the brain isn't fully developed until age 19 or 20. It just so happens that this area is that which controls reasoning and critical thinking. With that in mind, how can a 13 year old with incompetent frontal lobe developement be treated the same as an actual adult whose reasoning skills are at normal levels? Even if one is an adult but doesn't display normal reasoning skills is tried as mentally handicapped.

Yes, absolutely.  It is why I wonder at the glee some people feel, and the reasoning behind a life sentence for
a 13 year old.  It makes me wonder how much contact people have with kids that age, or if they have so short a
memory they don't remember what they were like at that age.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/11/05 at 9:32 am

I want more of an accountability in this. 

How do you know that the parents didn't get some prison sentence?

He got life in prison, that's as far as it can go.  He got what he deserved.  There was a simple way to avoid this, not gun down someone over headlights.

Check for new replies or respond here...