» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Christian relief groups in areas hit by Tsunami

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/05 at 8:49 am

http://in.news.yahoo.com/050116/139/2j1rp.html

yup... very christian  >:(

hopefully an exception and not the norm.

Subject: Re: Christian relief groups in areas hit by Tsunami

Written By: philbo on 02/10/05 at 8:51 am

Well, historically very Christian (no sarcasm intended)

But yes, it's got to be an exception.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/05 at 10:55 am

This kind of thing really p!sses me off. That is why when I chose what orginazation that I donated to, I made sure that they included the fact that it did not matter what religion someone was to recieve help and that most of their $$ didn't go for administrative costs. BTW, the one I picked was Mercy Corp.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/05 at 12:08 pm

Any group that has any kind of quid-pro-quo conditions in Tsunami relief work ought to be chucked out of the country.  Conditions are too dire over there for that kind of monkying around.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/05 at 12:18 pm

Yeah...that's just disgusting. 

And LOL on your comment, Philbo.  Sad, but true...

Written By: McDonald on 02/10/05 at 1:38 pm

This is why I am weary about organisations like Christian Children's Fund and even faith-based organisation here in the US who are receiving federal aid. I am afraid that they will turn away people for not accepting religious lessons.

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/10/05 at 7:09 pm

>:( >:( >:(

After reading that, I think even JESUS would stop being Christian after that!

That's just me, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/05 at 7:20 pm

This is why I am weary about organisations like Christian Children's Fund and even faith-based organisation here in the US who are receiving federal aid. I am afraid that they will turn away people for not accepting religious lessons.

I think it's OK for faith-based relief groups to receive federal funds, as long as they are conducting relief work without missionary work.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/10/05 at 7:26 pm

these "christians" seem to forget their bible. matthew 22:39...love thy neighbour as you love thyself.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/05 at 7:31 pm

these "christians" seem to forget their bible. matthew 22:39...love thy neighbour as you love thyself.

The first thing an evangelical would say to that is, "If you were me, I would want you to bring me to Jesus to save my eternal soul!"
::)

Written By: Averageguy on 02/10/05 at 11:01 pm

Just a few comments about the story. First, I find it extremely hard to believe this is a factual story. Sounds like some things were greatly exagerated. Second, since there were "nuns" requiring conversion, it is most likely a Catholic organization, not an evangelical organization. Third, this is another unfortunate example of a fringe element of the "Christian" segment, wherebye judgement is made upon all Christian relief organizations by the general public.  Believe me, true Christians would not refuse someone aid for not converting, and would most likely never ask someone in need to do so.

Written By: McDonald on 02/11/05 at 2:45 pm

>:( >:( >:(

After reading that, I think even JESUS would stop being Christian after that!

That's just me, though.

It's my understanding that Jesus never was a Christian in the first place, but a Jew. Even the early Christians still considered themselves to be Jewish. The Jesus that supposedly lived was a reformer, not a seperatist.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/11/05 at 2:49 pm

Just a few comments about the story. First, I find it extremely hard to believe this is a factual story. Sounds like some things were greatly exagerated.

After I had posted this, a few people where I found this, pointed out there were a lot of discrepnecies with the story.  If the media indeed showed up, why are there no pictures of fleeing workers? More details like which relief organization? It supposedly came from an Indian paper, but no real verifable source for it anywhere.

It's interesting to see how people initially react to the story though.

Written By: McDonald on 02/11/05 at 2:50 pm

Just a few comments about the story. First, I find it extremely hard to believe this is a factual story. Sounds like some things were greatly exagerated. Second, since there were "nuns" requiring conversion, it is most likely a Catholic organization, not an evangelical organization. Third, this is another unfortunate example of a fringe element of the "Christian" segment, wherebye judgement is made upon all Christian relief organizations by the general public.  Believe me, true Christians would not refuse someone aid for not converting, and would most likely never ask someone in need to do so.

I don't see the relevence in pointing out whether they were Catholic or Protestant. Be that as it may, it is foolish for anyone to judge an entire religion based on the behaviour of one of its subdivisions. I frequently criticise the Conservative Evangelical Fundamentalist movement, but that isn't to say that all Christians (and that term does apply to Catholics) are akin to such behaviour. I wouldn't judge all Catholics by the actions of a few nuns. That would just be ridiculous.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/11/05 at 3:32 pm

I find it hard to believe this story.  If it is true it is appauling, and I would side with the villagers in sticking to their Hindu faith, an old and interesting religion that is not "revealed".  But this just sounds too heavy handed for Catholic missionaries.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 2:42 am

>:( >:( >:( >:(

THAT IS SICK!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/05 at 4:21 am

Careful who (releif groups) you give money to

This is sad...  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...