» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gays in the Military, now we need you

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 9:03 am

The number of out of the closet gays being discharged from the army has dwindled considerably since
the onset of the invasion of Iraq.  I guess it is ok to be gay in the military when we need you.  During
WWII my father was in the army assigned, like most African-Americans, to a non-combat unit.  The
army didn't believe(said they didn't believe) they would make good fighters.  Then, when things got dicey
they came to them and said basically, "hey guys, happy days, we're are gonna give you a chance to fight
and prove yourself worthy".  Yeah, nice.  This smacks of the same attitude.  Now we need you, you're ok.
My Dad did see combat with his fellow soldiers, then came back and when the troop train crossed the
Mason-Dixon line he(in uniform) had to move into the "colored" car.  German POWs' were allowed in
the front with the white soldiers.  The accommodations for the POWs were much better than the ones for
the African American veterans.  The same thing will happen with the gay soldiers.  The will serve where
necessary, with honor, and come back to be denied marriage rights, employment rights, adoption rights,
etc. and why?  Because the government won't need them anymore.

Subject: Re: Gays in the Military, now we need you

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/05 at 11:35 am

When I was in the service, my supervisor was-even though it wasn't discussed. That was long before the "Don't ask, don't tell" came about. Of course I never said anything because I have always felt that persons sexual orientation was a non-issue and it had nothing to do with how competent someone was-and she was the BEST supervisor I had had when I was in. She also helped me out when I was going through a personal crisis in my life. It was definitely going above and beyond the call of duty.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/12/05 at 2:49 pm

Danoot's analogy is a good one, which has been used before around related issues.  I just don't get why some many straight people are so terrified over gays, although I have speculated that it has to do with their own doubts re their sexuality.

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 7:11 pm

Having done a hitch in the Army, I know that there are plenty of closeted gays in the military, and that most of them are serving their country honorably and admiriably. However, what about those who deliberately flaunt their homosexuality in order to purposely try and make others uncomfortable?  We had a guy like this in my unit. He seemed to get a rise out of telling us in graphic detail about what he did behind closed doors with other men, just to try and make us squirm. He was also a p*ss-poor soldier, but I won't blame that on his sexuality. He was, for lack of a better term, a "sissy," and I remember one occasion where he abandoned an important guard post (which is a BIG no-no in the military) because he was "scared" of being out in the woods by himself. To my knowledge he never actually sexually harassed anyone, but his behavior was definitely annoying to say the least. For the most part I thought he was harmless and I was always nice to him, so he never really bothered me. But I also thought that he really shouldn't have been there. Should the military have the right to get rid of people like this?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 7:15 pm

I think Gays should be able to serve.  Why not?  If they're not they not really full citizens.  Screw the Angry White Male.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/05 at 7:26 pm

If we have to embark on a whole new military venture, we will be so over-extended militarily that we will welcome anybody as cannon fodder.
I think gays should refuse to serve if that's the case. 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 10:32 pm

Wait, isn't that what was getting them "discharged" before? ;D ;D ;D

lol!  ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/14/05 at 12:52 am

i like to know how many gay men won the medal of honor, i guess thats a fact we'll never know. i bet quite a few were gay. the only issue i see with gays being turn down for service is that it makes other soldiers uncomfortable. a gay man is still a man, he can be as cruel and vicious in war as straight man.

look towards history with alexander's legions. he had one whole unit comprised of gay men and they were his elite troops.

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 4:35 pm

Screw the Angry White Male.

D*mn that Angry White Male. D@MN HIM!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/05 at 2:38 am

D*mn that Angry White Male. D@MN HIM!  ;D

Hey, I'm an Angry White Male, but I just happen to be angry at the Angry White Males!
:-\\

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/16/05 at 2:40 am

Hey, I'm an Angry White Male, but I just happen to be angry at the Angry White Males!
:-\\

Same with me.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...